Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh, isn't that a security feature, too? I don't even know how you can turn off your locked phone without unlocking first. Holding power button at the lock screen?

I know there's a soft reset by holding down volume down + power button for 10 or so seconds. That doesn't prompt for a passcode, I don't think.

Yep, if you just pick up your phone and press the power button. I'd check on my phone, but I'd have to turn off smart unlock first and I can't be bothered.

Reactions: epicrayban

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/19/deal-alert-refurbished-samsung-galaxy-s8-plus-sale/

Heads up guys and gals. You can get a refurbished Galaxy S8+ for $500 right now on Dailysteals.com. The price on the site is $550, but there's a coupon code in the linked article above that will bring the price down to $500.

DISCLAIMER: I've never used Dailysteals.com and can't speak on behalf of the site as I have no experience. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Wanted to give you all a heads up if you're interested.

From my understanding, the device is unlocked and works on CDMA and GSM but DOUBLE CHECK before you buy just in case!

-- edit --

Here's the coupon code, so that you don't have to search through the article for it: FWALLETS8PLUS

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's normal. I'm not positive you can disable it. I set my S8 to auto-reboot once a week, and when that happens, I have to punch in my passcode to unlock the first time.

You reboot your phone that often that this is an issue?

No I do not, but I did find an option to toggle it off. Not sure if I will keep that feature on or not.

Reactions: epicrayban

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I hate the The fingerprint position pissing me off never work.

Agreed .. but it's still better then not having it at all! I can imagine it's extra awkward on the taller S8+

I mapped the same finger a couple of times to improve hit rate, like in the early TouchID days in iOS, and it works better now for sure.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
For T-Mobile BOGO customers with multiple lines, do you need to keep the new line active at all times with calls and texts? Do you also need to keep that SIM in one of the Note 8s or S8s you have purchased?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So I just got the S8 active thanks to BOGO on at&t, and I got to say I'm more convinced than ever that Samsung needs to either get rid of the curved edges or give us an option. This phone feels so much better than the S8 I had earlier in the year. They do this and get rid of the top and bottom bezel, next year will be fun for Samsung devices.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Battery is no joke on the active, didn't charge it today to test, so far almost 5hrs screen time and I still have 41%!
492813b439d746a926846d53acaae97f.jpg
fff1f6566defad853bf7494f18d826a1.jpg

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I got my S8+ on launch day back in April and as time has gone on I love this phone more and more. Things like that just never happened in the Android world a few years ago. It's remained fast and snappy and every 6 weeks or so I've gotten an update that improves it.

I still hear a lot of iPhone owners still think Samsung is a joke and Apple is way ahead, but that's not true at all anymore. The way I look at it is Samsung is forced to innovate whereas Apple just works on better ways to market the brand. Sure the iPhone X is coming, but the S8 is already ahead and the S9 will be coming next spring.

For everyone who thinks Apple will never start to fail in this market I remind them of 1950's and 1960's General Motors. They commanded almost 50% of the entire auto market in those days. They got extremely arrogant and just started selling on brand. Their products became stale and quality kept going down, but they had their brands. Then the Japanese entered the market... and we know how it all went down. The Korean companies especially Samsung have the exact same motivation and drive those Japanese automakers had many years ago.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I got my S8+ on launch day back in April and as time has gone on I love this phone more and more. Things like that just never happened in the Android world a few years ago. It's remained fast and snappy and every 6 weeks or so I've gotten an update that improves it.

I still hear a lot of iPhone owners still think Samsung is a joke and Apple is way ahead, but that's not true at all anymore. The way I look at it is Samsung is forced to innovate whereas Apple just works on better ways to market the brand. Sure the iPhone X is coming, but the S8 is already ahead and the S9 will be coming next spring.

For everyone who thinks Apple will never start to fail in this market I remind them of 1950's and 1960's General Motors. They commanded almost 50% of the entire auto market in those days. They got extremely arrogant and just started selling on brand. Their products became stale and quality kept going down, but they had their brands. Then the Japanese entered the market... and we know how it all went down. The Korean companies especially Samsung have the exact same motivation and drive those Japanese automakers had many years ago.
Whatever allegories you applied to Apple can also be applied to other companies such as Samsung, google etc. people were saying Apple was “doomed” when Tim Cook became ceo as now they head toward 1 trillion dollars valuation. And the bigger they are, the harder they fall aphorism applies equally across the board.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Whatever allegories you applied to Apple can also be applied to other companies such as Samsung, google etc. people were saying Apple was “doomed” when Tim Cook became ceo as now they head toward 1 trillion dollars valuation. And the bigger they are, the harder they fall aphorism applies equally across the board.

Oh I understand the whole Apple is guaranteed to never fail no matter what they do line. If they have that much money they should be using it more effectively to wipe out the competition. At some point if Apple has enough money they should really try to purchase Google and then phase out Android. That is an Apple lovers dream come true.

Reactions: Demo Kit

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Its clear from your response that you did not understand his post. The most important part is where he mentions how Samsung are forced to innovate to be able to sell. Apple are in a position (from previous hard work and innovation) where they can sell on brand name alone, the thing is you can only do that for so long. When a company starts to release subpar products that customers are not happy with brand loyalty goes out the door really quick.

Last edited:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Its clear from your response that you did not understand his post. The most important part is where he mentions how Samsung are forced to innovate to be able to sell. Apple are in a position (from previous hard work and innovation) where they can sell on brand name alone, the thing is you can only do that for so long. When a company starts to release subpar products that customers are not happy with brand loyalty goes out the door really quick.

My Dad is 80 years old and he'll tell you if you would have claimed that GM will eventually fail in the 1950's, 1960's and even 70's you would have been laughed at. Well it failed in 2009. Just an example.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The way I look at it is Samsung is forced to innovate whereas Apple just works on better ways to market the brand.

Well said, and on point (what company could get away with a three year old design? Hint: don't ask HTC).

And I love my s8, too. At this point in time, Samsung is offering leading class hardware, useful software features on top of a stable Android OS, and is pound-for-pound the best value to customers (no comprised smaller model, for example, and promotions/price drops). No other Android OEM is offering this combination.

There was hope for Google to, but seeing their decisions for the Pixel 2, and their recent and questionable acquisition of parts-of-HTC, I'm not so confident they're ready yet to step up to that role. I'm not confident they even have a good strategy in place! It'll be Samsung for a while in my book.

The S8 is the most worry-free phone I've ever owned. Even the headphone jack is there! The removal of it is something that is largely regarded in reviews as a mistake by every OEM that does it.

The S8 is a fantastic piece of technology.

Reactions: DakotaGuy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Oh I understand the whole Apple is guaranteed to never fail no matter what they do line. If they have that much money they should be using it more effectively to wipe out the competition. At some point if Apple has enough money they should really try to purchase Google and then phase out Android. That is an Apple lovers dream come true.
Really, Apple buying google, that’s an Apple lovers dream? Some lofty goals indeed, but that’s not my dream. Far from it.

But whats an android lovers dream? Turn Apple into google?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Last edited:

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
The will always be isolated cases. + This is after the device has been available for more than six months. Compared to the note 7 battery incidents this shouldn't even be compared. A search will find isolated cases of this happening to pretty much every device regardless of OEM.
Hope your right. Don't want to go through it again like the note 7.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Really, Apple buying google, that’s an Apple lovers dream? Some lofty goals indeed, but that’s not my dream. Far from it.

But whats an android lovers dream? Turn Apple into google?

I don't "love" any certain platform. I like to use all different platforms. My school district laptop is a Fujitsu running Windows 10, my home computer is an iMac, I have an iPad Air 2, and my S8+. I figure as an educator I should know how to run and use the two main PC and two main mobile operating systems. I use Google to keep everything in sync. Of course my school laptop is kept separate from my own devices with it's own accounts, but it all works out very nicely.

I just fine it funny when tech savvy people claim they are too afraid to explore and use different operating systems. The 4 I listed are all excellent and have their pros and cons.

Reactions: S.B.G

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't "love" any certain platform. I like to use all different platforms. My school district laptop is a Fujitsu running Windows 10, my home computer is an iMac, I have an iPad Air 2, and my S8+. I figure as an educator I should know how to run and use the two main PC and two main mobile operating systems. I use Google to keep everything in sync. Of course my school laptop is kept separate from my own devices with it's own accounts, but it all works out very nicely.

I just fine it funny when tech savvy people claim they are too afraid to explore and use different operating systems. The 4 I listed are all excellent and have their pros and cons.
Well there no need for that type of response then is there.

I use Ubuntu, windows and have a MacBook Pro. I have iPads and a generic android tablet. I’ve used windows phones, blackberry and played with an Ubuntu phone as well as every Samsung phone since the s6. I prefer iPhones as the phone of choice for me. We all have our choices and each choice has its pluses and minuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.