Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Alright, I'm going to do this the lazy way because I don't want to search through 300 pages. General consensus on Galaxy 8? I was underwhelmed by todays announcement so I'm looking to possibly make a switch. I'm most concerned about durability, OS stability, and battery life. If anyone can share their experience so far, I'd appreciate it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Alright, I'm going to do this the lazy way because I don't want to search through 300 pages. General consensus on Galaxy 8? I was underwhelmed by todays announcement so I'm looking to possibly make a switch. I'm most concerned about durability, OS stability, and battery life. If anyone can share their experience so far, I'd appreciate it.

My battery life is amazing. I haven't had any stability issues. Glass phones will break if they hit concrete, period. I don't like glass as a phone back material.

Reactions: Fille84

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
My battery life is amazing. I haven't had any stability issues. Glass phones will break if they hit concrete, period. I don't like glass as a phone back material.
Thanks. How does the support from Samsung work? For example, if I have an iPhone and a button is loose or something happens and the phone just turns off by itself, I go to the Apple Store and they replace it assuming im within the warranty period.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks. How does the support from Samsung work? For example, if I have an iPhone and a button is loose or something happens and the phone just turns off by itself, I go to the Apple Store and they replace it assuming im within the warranty period.

Never had to use it, so I'm not sure. I don't have an Apple Store nearby either, though, so it's generally carrier store or third party repair regardless.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
The iPhone X cost in Europe is around €1100,- euro's for the base model. Which is a joke. I really hope Samsung will have more common sense and don't price the Galaxy S9 in the same matter Apple did. Because I won't pay above the €999 mark for any smartphone. Luckily Samsung is using Android so that would mean that after a couple of months the price of a new one would be significantly cheaper.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Never had to use it, so I'm not sure. I don't have an Apple Store nearby either, though, so it's generally carrier store or third party repair regardless.

Thank you for the feedback.

I have a question too: Is the S8 lag/shutter-free?

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Oh, easily. Even the LG V30 is better designed than the iPhone X.

And when compared to the three year old design of the iPhone 8? Unquestionably better.
Those phones also curve the screen on the edge, I think thats why they seem to look different and nicer.
But so far I dont see any point to those curved screens other than eye candy.
[doublepost=1505322492][/doublepost]
On this point, Apple is NOT better; just for example:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-will-be-optimized-for-older-devices.2064918/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-do-people-expect-perfection-on-day-1-of-ios-11.2066098/

It is not smooth at all on the iPad Pro and iPhone 7 too!

My iPhone 6 has also lags and shutter, which is for me just bad!
It wont be totally smooth until 11.2 Its been like this the last several years.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Those phones also curve the screen on the edge, I think thats why they seem to look different and nicer.
But so far I dont see any point to those curved screens other than eye candy.

The smaller form factor also leads to easier and more comfortable ergonomics.

Reactions: Michael Goff

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
My unlocked S8+ on the August 1 security update has taken a battery hit. Anyone else have the same happening? It drains while sitting there for 3-4 hrs with no usage, 20% or more sometimes. Never had this problem before. Cleared the cache with no luck.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Still trying to decide between upgrading my S7 to the S8 or the S8 Active. I'm not sure how much I like the curved display.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
My unlocked S8+ on the August 1 security update has taken a battery hit. Anyone else have the same happening? It drains while sitting there for 3-4 hrs with no usage, 20% or more sometimes. Never had this problem before. Cleared the cache with no luck.
Nope. Still going strong.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Do you think there will be better deals heading into the holiday for the s8 / s8+?

I have an iPhone 6+ and I was pissed off about the announcement. Figured it would it be time to try android and maybe revisit apple when they decide to speed up innovation vs. profit for share holders.

the s8 / s8+ caught my eye, even more so than the note 8. I also don't want to overpay and was hoping to keep my 6+ as a back up (not important though). I would be getting $200 trade in for the 6+ towards s8/s8+, but may feel I could do better if I wait.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Do you think there will be better deals heading into the holiday for the s8 / s8+?

I have an iPhone 6+ and I was pissed off about the announcement. Figured it would it be time to try android and maybe revisit apple when they decide to speed up innovation vs. profit for share holders.

the s8 / s8+ caught my eye, even more so than the note 8. I also don't want to overpay and was hoping to keep my 6+ as a back up (not important though). I would be getting $200 trade in for the 6+ towards s8/s8+, but may feel I could do better if I wait.

Last year, Best Buy had their best deals before Thanksgiving on the S7s. Don't know it it'll be the same this year.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I've had my S8 for a short while and I'm loving it so far. However, after trying out the Note 8 while case shopping, I've decided I'll be getting a Note device the next time around.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I wasn't thinking of the S8, the Note 8 or Mi Mix 2 was on the radar.
I've the opportunity of buying an S8 for £365 brand new unlocked. What do folks think?

Last edited:
Reactions: JaySoul and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wasn't thinking of the S8, the Note 8 or Mi Mix 2 was on the radar.
I've the opportunity of buying an S8 for £365 brand new unlocked. What do folks think?
Very good value and honestly if you don't like it, at that price you aren't going to lose out if you decide to resell.

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.