Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Reactions: deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Screen protectors are a mixed bag withe Samsungs curved displays. I would recommend a youtube search and see sone product reviews and check Amazon reviews too. Honestly I never found a screen protector to suit but you may have better luck.

Okay, thanks. Went to store and had a first view today. I've never seen a display like the S8, incredible, so clear.

Must say I'd worry about the scratches. Always had screen protectors on my iPhones. It does seem a bit hit and miss though reading review.

Reactions: MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Screenshot_20170916-093239.jpg
Bet you guys didn't know it was plastic. Good thing the guy on Twitter was there to sort me out.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm going to come off as a jerk here and laugh about sheer percentages. According to some sources, the GS8 and Plus still have a higher screen to body ratio than the iPhone X.

Reactions: epicrayban

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
I'm going to come off as a jerk here and laugh about sheer percentages. According to some sources, the GS8 and Plus still have a higher screen to body ratio than the iPhone X.
That's true:
S8+: 6.2 inches (~84.0% screen-to-body ratio)
S8: 5.8 inches (~83.6% screen-to-body ratio)
Note 8: 6.3 inches (~83.2% screen-to-body ratio)
iPhone X: 5.8 inches (~82.9% screen-to-body ratio)
LG V30: 6.0 inches (~81.2% screen-to-body ratio)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

That's true:
S8+: 6.2 inches (~84.0% screen-to-body ratio)
S8: 5.8 inches (~83.6% screen-to-body ratio)
Note 8: 6.3 inches (~83.2% screen-to-body ratio)
iPhone X: 5.8 inches (~82.9% screen-to-body ratio)
LG V30: 6.0 inches (~81.2% screen-to-body ratio)

More screen in a more balanced and refined design. I sincerely hope Samsung keeps this aesthetic going. The Infinity Display is really their own look. I hope I don't see notches in Samsung's future. Let Apple have that look.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
More screen in a more balanced and refined design. I sincerely hope Samsung keeps this aesthetic going. The Infinity Display is really their own look. I hope I don't see notches in Samsung's future. Let Apple have that look.

Hope you're right. I think Samsung is just going to go up and down with their screen and get rid of the rest of it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Hope you're right. I think Samsung is just going to go up and down with their screen and get rid of the rest of it.

Eventually, that would be the goal.

Probably in the S10 or Note 9 at the earliest. I predict Samsung will reuse the s8 design, especially the front, for one more year.

S10 = 10 year anniversary of the Galaxy S, right? Anyone think they'll take a page out of Apple and introduce a radically redesigned flagship to celebrate? I could see that happening.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Eventually, that would be the goal.

Probably in the S10 or Note 9 at the earliest. I predict Samsung will reuse the s8 design, especially the front, for one more year.

S10 = 10 year anniversary of the Galaxy S, right? Anyone think they'll take a page out of Apple and introduce a radically redesigned flagship to celebrate? I could see that happening.

I predict the Note 9 to be a regression when it comes to bezel in favor of foldable screen.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010

I'm still not sure how I feel about that. Part of why I'm considering the Active over the regular S8.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
It's a very un-Samsung thing to do IMO, reserving the button for Bixby that is..
They usually don't mind people messing with their phones..because it's their phone.

I'm going to give bixby a shot. They seem to have made an effort, if it disappoints, off with Bixby :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Alright, I'm going to do this the lazy way because I don't want to search through 300 pages. General consensus on Galaxy 8? I was underwhelmed by todays announcement so I'm looking to possibly make a switch. I'm most concerned about durability, OS stability, and battery life. If anyone can share their experience so far, I'd appreciate it.

May I suggest https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/long-time-iphone-user-moves-to-android.2068073/

..I did exactly that with the same concerns as you

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Anyone have issues where they turn off their phone, it asks for a pin/password to get it to go off? I want to disable that junk.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Anyone have issues where they turn off their phone, it asks for a pin/password to get it to go off? I want to disable that junk.

That's normal. I'm not positive you can disable it. I set my S8 to auto-reboot once a week, and when that happens, I have to punch in my passcode to unlock the first time.

You reboot your phone that often that this is an issue?

Reactions: JaySoul

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's normal. I'm not positive you can disable it. I set my S8 to auto-reboot once a week, and when that happens, I have to punch in my passcode to unlock the first time.

You reboot your phone that often that this is an issue?

I think he's talking about how when you try to turn off a locked phone it asks to be unlocked before it can even shut down.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think he's talking about how when you try to turn off a locked phone it asks to be unlocked before it can even shut down.

Oh, isn't that a security feature, too? I don't even know how you can turn off your locked phone without unlocking first. Holding power button at the lock screen?

I know there's a soft reset by holding down volume down + power button for 10 or so seconds. That doesn't prompt for a passcode, I don't think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.