Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammieboy

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
It's probably oversaturated bc you have your display mode in Adaptive lol....if you want color accuracy, you need to set it to Basic. I have mine set to Adaptive for everything...except for when I edit the pics that I take for sharing etc....that's when I switch to Basic for color accuracy. Then switch back to Adaptive for general phone usage. The Basic display mode on the S7/S8 display is one of the most color accurate settings on any phone....

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It's probably oversaturated bc you have your display mode in Adaptive lol....if you want color accuracy, you need to set it to Basic. I have mine set to Adaptive for everything...except for when I edit the pics that I take for sharing etc....that's when I switch to Basic for color accuracy. Then switch back to Adaptive for general phone usage. The Basic display mode on the S7/S8 display is one of the most color accurate settings on any phone....

I'm not speaking on the display. I'm speaking on the photos themselves, even when viewed on my any other display.

But like I mentioned. The Note 8 shots that reviewers are showing, look much less saturated.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I still deal with a decent percentage of blurry pictures from taking quick shots on my 7+. Never experienced a blurry shot yet on my S8+.

The 7+ also has much less detail in distance and lower light pictures. People complain that Samsung shots are oversaturated, but you can fix that pre(with manual) or post(with any edit software). What you can't fix is bringing back detail the a shot never got in the first place. Also from the countless reviews I've seen, it seems the Note 8 pretty much fixed the oversaturation on auto mode or at least toned it down greatly.

The next batch of iPhones will need faster auto focus, have more detail, and amp the colors up just a small notch. Otherwise, it will lose to the Note 8, V30, and even still the S8+ in comparison.

And this is coming from a consumer that only knows the basics of photography.

Apple does a great job of marketing iPhone photography but personally I’ve found Samsung picture quality to be all around superior since the Galaxy S5.

When I log into my Google Photos account I can always easily discern when I own Galaxy phones compared to iPhones. Detail and color take a hit on iPhones.
[doublepost=1504587847][/doublepost]

You're confusing displays with photos and video.

sammieboy

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I'm not speaking on the display. I'm speaking on the photos themselves, even when viewed on my any other display.

But like I mentioned. The Note 8 shots that reviewers are showing, look much less saturated.
Ah gotcha.....to be honest...it comes down to personal preference. I for one don't see an issue with my S8 photos lol (especially when viewing them in Basic Mode....they look anything but oversaturated lol)....and this is coming from someone that was a wedding photographer, with two Canon 5D Mark 3s and 5 L lenses....it's all about capturing the details and the S8 does that well with great low light performance.....the rest can be easily tweaked via VSCO!

Also....final note....what other display do you have? Is it color accurate? I use my 27in Apple Cinema Display and the pics I shoot via the S8 looks pretty close on Basic Mode and on my Apple monitor...which is pretty color accurate

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Ah gotcha.....to be honest...it comes down to personal preference. I for one don't see an issue with my S8 photos lol (especially when viewing them in Basic Mode....they look anything but oversaturated lol)....and this is coming from someone that was a wedding photographer, with two Canon 5D Mark 3s and 5 L lenses....it's all about capturing the details and the S8 does that well with great low light performance.....the rest can be easily tweaked via VSCO!

Also....final note....what other display do you have? Is it color accurate? I use my 27in Apple Cinema Display and the pics I shoot via the S8 looks pretty close on Basic Mode and on my Apple monitor...which is pretty color accurate

I don't see an issue either. Just pointing out, that's been one of the main complaints against Samsung with cameras, and it seems they have adjusted it for the Note 8. Might even see that adjustment on the S8+ when it's updated to Samsung's 8.1. Speaking about auto mode of course.

I usually view photos on my 2015 MBP or my PC laptop connected to my 4K Samsung TV. Don't ask me about color accuracy on displays, I'm just a simple man. LOL
[doublepost=1504588721][/doublepost]
Apple does a great job of marketing iPhone photography but personally I’ve found Samsung picture quality to be all around superior since the Galaxy S5.

When I log into my Google Photos account I can always easily discern when I own Galaxy phones compared to iPhones. Detail and color take a hit on iPhones.

Yea, photos from Samsung phones have a certain crisp to it that iPhone lacks. iPhone photos look much softer.

Reactions: epicrayban

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

Yep, poor details compared to a growing number of competitors has been an issue with the iPhone camera for a while now. Back when I had an iPhone 6s and a Nexus 5X, the 5X butchered the 6s camera when I started zooming in on photos.

sammieboy

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I don't see an issue either. Just pointing out, that's been one of the main complaints against Samsung with cameras, and it seems they have adjusted it for the Note 8. Might even see that adjustment on the S8+ when it's updated to Samsung's 8.1. Speaking about auto mode of course.

I usually view photos on my 2015 MBP or my PC laptop connected to my 4K Samsung TV. Don't ask me about color accuracy on displays, I'm just a simple man. LOL
[doublepost=1504588721][/doublepost]

Yea, photos from Samsung phones have a certain crisp to it that iPhone lacks. iPhone photos look much softer.
Your MBP is legit ... One thing apple does right is using great displays!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I still deal with a decent percentage of blurry pictures from taking quick shots on my 7+. Never experienced a blurry shot yet on my S8+.

The 7+ also has much less detail in distance and lower light pictures. People complain that Samsung shots are oversaturated, but you can fix that pre(with manual) or post(with any edit software). What you can't fix is bringing back detail the a shot never got in the first place. Also from the countless reviews I've seen, it seems the Note 8 pretty much fixed the oversaturation on auto mode or at least toned it down greatly.

The next batch of iPhones will need faster auto focus, have more detail, and amp the colors up just a small notch. Otherwise, it will lose to the Note 8, V30, and even still the S8+ in comparison.

I agree with all of this. Although I don't have the S8 + I had the S7 edge and they have the same camera. I was disappointed when I first got my 7 plus because pictures were rubbish compared to me S7 edge. I think I even posted about it here. The only thing I like about the 7 plus is the dual lens camera but now the note has that. Lime ogling forward to getting good shots again.
[doublepost=1504590949][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1504587847][/doublepost]

You're confusing displays with photos and video.
The S5 had a great camera. In fact the camera on the S5 is still better than what's on the 7 plus if you discount the 2nd lens.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The S5 had a great camera. In fact the camera on the S5 is still better than what's on the 7 plus if you discount the 2nd lens.

I would have to agree. I personally don't think the 2nd lens on the iPhone 7+ brought much to the table

I hope Apple brings their A game in terms of photos with the iPhone 8.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would have to agree. I personally don't think the 2nd lens on the iPhone 7+ brought much to the table

I hope Apple brings their A game in terms of photos with the iPhone 8.
I think the main focus of the iPhone 8 will be the change in form factor and the face unlock. I don't think there will be many big changes to the camera apart from software.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Software could actually help quite a bit here. iOS 11 is bringing the new HEIF image format, and it seems like it's doing a better job regarding detail than their current JPEG compression: https://discussions.apple.com/message/32092993#message32092993

This has been an enduring issue for Apple for awhile. I think Apple is just sourcing only acceptable but not great camera modules and lenses to save money and pad margins.

Apple hasn't really been king of the hill for Cameras since the iPhone 4S...the last Steve Jobs iPhone, which is no coincidence, I'm sure.

Samsung on the other hands is holding back nothing because they've got everything to lose by not striving to be the best.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
So I looked at the photos taken with the S8 on my MacBook Pro and they still look oversaturated to me. I guess I just don't like this S8 camera. I know the iPhone 6S I was using has less detail, but I honestly prefer how the photos taken with that camera look. I just can't go back to the 6S because the screen is too small.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Went back to the IPhone 7+ for a week. More on that later but the iPhone camera is pretty bad compared to the S8+. Video is okay, but photo image quality is dreadful.

The S8 is detailed with rich colors, depth and sharpness. The iPhone 7+ was murky, bland, flat and vague in comparison.

The difference is really quite shocking and something that really stands out when you live with both devices for an extended period of time.

If photos and video are your main concern, don't even bother with Apple and go right to the Samsung aisle.

This is spot on my experience as well with both my devices, and something I've been saying for years. Even friends will comment about how my photos look better and more rich compared to their photos on their iPhones.
[doublepost=1504614239][/doublepost]

The camera on the s8 is easier and faster to use, too. Double tap to quick launch the camera, for example, gets me to my camera faster than I can launch it on my iPhone.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
So I looked at the photos taken with the S8 on my MacBook Pro and they still look oversaturated to me. I guess I just don't like this S8 camera. I know the iPhone 6S I was using has less detail, but I honestly prefer how the photos taken with that camera look. I just can't go back to the 6S because the screen is too small.

Use the pro mode or manual mode to get it to work to your liking. The S8 is a fantastic camera.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Here is my gs8 auto settings in low light.
20170831_195136.jpg
20170831_195136.jpg
seriously can't take a bad picture with this phone.i just snap them quick without any thoughts of it and they come out amazing.

No filters or anything needed.

And one with Brite sun!

Attachments

• 20170829_192635.jpg
    20170829_192635.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Is it just me or is the unlocked US model almost pointless? What real benefit is there? My AT&T model seems to be getting updates faster than the unlocked model.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Is it just me or is the unlocked US model almost pointless? What real benefit is there? My AT&T model seems to be getting updates faster than the unlocked model.

The main benefit I am aware of is you get some Samsung features that carriers remove. For example, I can't set my S8 to automatically reboot because Verizon removed that feature, but you have it on the unlocked model. The security feature in Device Maintenance settings has been removed from many carriers, including mine on Verizon. Those things aren't extremely important, but with the unlocked model you have all of them.

Reactions: Michael Goff

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Unlocked just feels better, too. ;) It's not like it's not getting security updates. And you know what, if it weren't or if it came late, I wouldn't feel it's the end of the world.

And unlock can be taken abroad to use internationally.

It's seriously great that the carrier ones are getting the updates quickly!

Reactions: Michael Goff

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

The main benefit I am aware of is you get some Samsung features that carriers remove. For example, I can't set my S8 to automatically reboot because Verizon removed that feature, but you have it on the unlocked model. The security feature in Device Maintenance settings has been removed from many carriers, including mine on Verizon. Those things aren't extremely important, but with the unlocked model you have all of them.

Unlocked just feels better, too. ;) It's not like it's not getting security updates. And you know what, if it weren't or if it came late, I wouldn't feel it's the end of the world.

to add to what these others mentioned, you get the built-in caller id that identifies spam or identifies businesses or others calling you. It's built into the dialer app and a lot better implemented than T-Mobile's 3rd party app. Plus you get all the features and settings that Samsung includes that many other carriers take out: Samsung cloud, device maintenance app (section of settings), etc. Not getting unlocked isn't a deal breaker, but definitely nice to have. I've had both the Verizon branded S8 and now unlocked and I prefer the unlocked variant hands down. And I'm not too worried about getting an update a week after the carrier ones.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

to add to what these others mentioned, you get the built-in caller id that identifies spam or identifies businesses or others calling you. It's built into the dialer app and a lot better implemented than T-Mobile's 3rd party app. Plus you get all the features and settings that Samsung includes that many other carriers take out: Samsung cloud, device maintenance app (section of settings), etc. Not getting unlocked isn't a deal breaker, but definitely nice to have. I've had both the Verizon branded S8 and now unlocked and I prefer the unlocked variant hands down. And I'm not too worried about getting an update a week after the carrier ones.

You all have excellent points. Maybe I'm just frustrated due to unrealistic expectations.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
You all have excellent points. Maybe I'm just frustrated due to unrealistic expectations.

yeah, I get it. The unlocked S8 SHOULD get the updates faster than the carrier versions because it doesn't have to go through the carriers for testing, rollout, etc. But my S8 has literally been 1-2 weeks behind carrier updates, and I think a few of them beat a carrier or two. So at least they are doing a heck of a lot better than they did with the unlocked S7's. But yeah, there's still room for improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.