Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
6 apps only? That's really weird. I thought Exynos was better at things generally than Snapdragon?

Never said anything about negating your experiences.

My exynos S7 and S7e I could easily get the 10-11 apps you mentioned open and I could deal with that.

I actually thought after the S6 which had the aggressive ram issue Samsung had fixed it with the S7/7e and they did for me, however I have read conversely that the USA snapdragon variants didn't handle ram management on the S7/7e as well as the exynos.

This time round it seems the roles are reversed.

Honestly going into the S8 my only trepidation was the edges and false touches. After having no trouble with the S7/7e in regards to ram performance I never expected to have it on the S8. So it's bitter sweet that false touches seemed vastly improved and yet I was back to S6 style ram management.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wonder how much 6GB of RAM on the Note 8 will help with RAM management on the Exynos models.

That's the big question and one that I will test out in store when I get the chance.

The problem was that it wasn't that there wasn't sufficient ram on my S8, it constantly told me I had 700mb free and yet was still culling stuff in the background.

So whilst certainly in theory the 2gb should make a difference, if Samsung haven't adjusted the level at which it begins culling, then it could make little difference.

So that's why I want to try before even considering. My carriers €450 offer remains after the pre-order period so I don't have to gamble. If it can get same amount of apps as the S7/7e I will be content.

I also want to try to alleviate my concern regarding sketching on an edged screen as I would use it as an artists digital sketchbook if I bought it.

Time will tell.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I just found out about this awesome theming app called Substratum. Normally one would have to root a device to use it, but Samsung devices running Nougat work with it without needing root. (Though it appears with Oreo the ability to theme without rooting will be possible for everyone.)

This allows you to replace the stock Samsung icons in the status bar, and also the navigation bar icons, with icons from stock Android/Pixel.

So, now I'm using this and the "[Kendi] Android O" theme from the Samsung store along with all of the official Google apps, including the nonnexus Phone apk, and have a setup very close to that of a Pixel.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...as-samsung-t3658050/post73439022#post73439022

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170830-180236.png
    Screenshot_20170830-180236.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 143

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just found out about this awesome theming app called Substratum. Normally one would have to root a device to use it, but Samsung devices running Nougat work with it without needing root. (Though it appears with Oreo the ability to theme without rooting will be possible for everyone.)

This allows you to replace the stock Samsung icons in the status bar, and also the navigation bar icons, with icons from stock Android/Pixel.

So, now I'm using this and the "[Kendi] Android O" theme from the Samsung store along with all of the official Google apps, including the nonnexus Phone apk, and have a setup very close to that of a Pixel.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...as-samsung-t3658050/post73439022#post73439022
Wow that's cool that substratum works without root or a custom ROM on S8.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My exynos S7 and S7e I could easily get the 10-11 apps you mentioned open and I could deal with that.

I actually thought after the S6 which had the aggressive ram issue Samsung had fixed it with the S7/7e and they did for me, however I have read conversely that the USA snapdragon variants didn't handle ram management on the S7/7e as well as the exynos.

This time round it seems the roles are reversed.

Honestly going into the S8 my only trepidation was the edges and false touches. After having no trouble with the S7/7e in regards to ram performance I never expected to have it on the S8. So it's bitter sweet that false touches seemed vastly improved and yet I was back to S6 style ram management.

This is a known thing of exynos? All exynos s8 models can only retain ~6 apps fresh?

It really is bizarre they would change the RAM management backwards like that from the exynos s7 to the exynos s8.

Just trying to get a grasp on what's going on.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is a known thing of exynos? All exynos s8 models can only retain ~6 apps fresh?

It really is bizarre they would change the RAM management backwards like that from the exynos s7 to the exynos s8.

Honestly don't know. Seems the majority of the users who have had ram issues both on XDA and Reddit seem to be mostly exynos owners but whether you can call it a known thing or it flatly applies to all users is impossible to say as there are so many variable at play with ROMs and regions. I know my UK/Ireland unbranded firmware and the alternative German unbranded firmware I also tried both had same thing and likewise a branded carrier (3 Ireland) did it.

Reactions: epicrayban

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Not all, mine can hold 10 or more in memory no issues, I think it will be different for each user.

Reactions: epicrayban

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Gonna jump on that asap!!!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
They could still go towards iOS devices because it is generally more secure than Android devices, has better support, and the ecosystem is very comfy. I know the Android Reddit rips Touchwiz because it has episodic lag. Many of those users have a huge appreciation for pure Android. There are many people who favor cleaner software over better hardware.
Techies on a whole are more interested in tinkering about with their phones than how secure it is. In fact many of the the things the hardcore techies do to their phones make them less secure.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
To the average Joe, the S8/S8+ is the best combination between high end flagship, features, customization, and long term use.

To the techie person, stay away from it and go towards an iPhone, Pixel, HTC, OnePlus.

I disagree. I'm a techie with an S8+ and think it's a good device, plus Samsung are keeping their update promise. I'll probably keep it for 12 months max (like I do all my phones) then move on.

I moved away from the 7+ because iOS is just so boring. I'd only recommend it for a lazy user regardless of the technical prowess.

In all honesty, I probably would've got a Pixel, but stock issues prevented that. The OnePlus had support and update issues. And nothing took my fancy from HTC.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I disagree. I'm a techie with an S8+ and think it's a good device, plus Samsung are keeping their update promise. I'll probably keep it for 12 months max (like I do all my phones) then move on.

I moved away from the 7+ because iOS is just so boring. I'd only recommend it for a lazy user regardless of the technical prowess.

In all honesty, I probably would've got a Pixel, but stock issues prevented that. The OnePlus had support and update issues. And nothing took my fancy from HTC.

Pixel has design defects that people should be weary about, just a fyi even though I do recommend it.
[doublepost=1504233479][/doublepost]I wonder how much the price drops on the S8+ by the time the iPhone 8 comes out? On price alone, the S8+ is a much better value because it simply offers fantastic hardware at much less.
[doublepost=1504235522][/doublepost]For those who are happy with their S8+: how do you handle the occasional micro stutters or device lag? Slap on a new launcher? What about the inevitable Samsung bogs? Do you factory data reset or wipe cache partition every so often to detoxify the Galaxy from having anything bogging it? What about the updates, as long as the updates occur within a month or so from the Nexus/Pixel (monthly patches for example), you're content?

Do you just focus on the great hardware, tons of software features, and forget the rest since Samsung is miles ahead with features and hardware that it is not even funny? Do you feel the Samsung Experience software is so advanced and feature heavy that OS updates do not mean anything anymore?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
^^^ Why OCD with occasional micro stutters in S8 when you are ok with the perpetual lethargic and laggy iPhone scrolling?

I don't notice issues scrolling on the iPhone. Eh because I guess I didn't like the stutters being so frequent but then again maybe that's why I had a bad experience because I let myself get too picky with the S8.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't notice issues scrolling on the iPhone. Eh because I guess I didn't like the stutters being so frequent but then again maybe that's why I had a bad experience because I let myself get too picky with the S8.

That's the thing about iOS. It technically isn't lag, it's just the speed of scrolling. Android is just meant to be smoother/faster when it comes to scrolling so you tend to notice issues more.

Reactions: Demo Kit and yui4

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Pixel has design defects that people should be weary about, just a fyi even though I do recommend it.
[doublepost=1504233479][/doublepost]I wonder how much the price drops on the S8+ by the time the iPhone 8 comes out? On price alone, the S8+ is a much better value because it simply offers fantastic hardware at much less.
[doublepost=1504235522][/doublepost]For those who are happy with their S8+: how do you handle the occasional micro stutters or device lag? Slap on a new launcher? What about the inevitable Samsung bogs? Do you factory data reset or wipe cache partition every so often to detoxify the Galaxy from having anything bogging it? What about the updates, as long as the updates occur within a month or so from the Nexus/Pixel (monthly patches for example), you're content?

Do you just focus on the great hardware, tons of software features, and forget the rest since Samsung is miles ahead with features and hardware that it is not even funny? Do you feel the Samsung Experience software is so advanced and feature heavy that OS updates do not mean anything anymore?
I don't own the S8 but I can tell you that my iPhone 7 plus stutters and freezes from time to time but it's not a big deal to me because most of the time it's fine. The last Samsung phone I used was the S7 edge and I had no issues with performance. There was probably the occasional stutter but all phones lag from time to time.

The S7 edge was plenty smooth and fast for me. The pixel maybe slightly faster but I'd trade that millisecond of speed for the wealth of features having a Samsung device gets you over owning a stock android one.

Last edited:

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Haven't posted in a while guys and was pissed about the micro studders going back to home screen my Verizon version phone was having.

2 of my coworkers got s8s but for different carriers and there phones ran perfect while mine had micro studders going to home screen.

After today's August updatey phone has finally fixed them and is running 10x better.

I can't believe it took Verizon this long to fix it.the phone is an absolute pleasure to use now and runs so smooth and clean.its the only way to explain it.

It's an awesome buy right now alsp

PrincePoppycock

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Iowa

For me personally, I don't stress about minor stutter or lag. I've experienced it at least once with every phone I've had (Note 2, 3, 4, 5, S7E, S8+ and Iphone 7+). Up until my current phone the S8+ I used to want to keep upgrading to the newest Samsung.

After having the S7E I switched carriers and decided to try out the IPhone 7+. I would have apps crash and freeze on me more frequently than I noticed on my S7E or S8+. The thing that made me go back to Samsung was home screen customization, notifications and not being able to set a default app.

I got the S8+ for $3.64 a month with bill credits spread out over 24 months so I really don't have the urge to switch phones any more.

As far as updates go, I really don't care about them. And it would never even register as a reason for me to choose one phone over the other. It's all about what the phone can do for me and how much control I have over the phone. I don't want to be restricted when it comes to the use of my phone.

At this point I'm on a 2 year upgrade schedule and don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I just want to enjoy the phone I have.

I hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.