Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
When you on the app store page, do you tap the menu button, then apps, then updates?

Yes, and no updates. I can search for TouchWiz Home, and it shows up with version 6.1.09.2 as the most recent version. That's from June. I can force Play Store to find it but the page says my phone isn't compatible.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yes, and no updates. I can search for TouchWiz Home, and it shows up with version 6.1.09.2 as the most recent version. That's from June. I can force Play Store to find it but the page says my phone isn't compatible.

The one I have now is 6.1.50.2

Also, there was a Phone app update too. And the description for the update read phone recording manual and auto. But I can't seem to find that setting anywhere. My Phone version is 2.3.00.20. Can you check your Phone app version.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Do you have an AT&T S8?

Yep, ATT S8 Plus.

The one I have now is 6.1.50.2

Also, there was a Phone app update too. And the description for the update read phone recording manual and auto. But I can't seem to find that setting anywhere. My Phone version is 2.3.00.20. Can you check your Phone app version.

Screenshot_20170830-130532.png

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I've read on reddit that AT&T blocks the galaxy apps updates and rolls them out with the major updates that AT&T releases. I'm not sure if that's 100% true but could explain why you don't see the updates in the galaxy apps.

On my unlocked S8, I had the new touchwiz launcher update in my galaxy apps update section and I did get a phone (dealer app) update notification in my dialer app which I updated through it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I've read on reddit that AT&T blocks the galaxy apps updates and rolls them out with the major updates that AT&T releases. I'm not sure if that's 100% true but could explain why you don't see the updates in the galaxy apps.

On my unlocked S8, I had the new touchwiz launcher update in my galaxy apps update section and I did get a phone (dealer app) update notification in my dialer app which I updated through it.

That is probably the reason. Never buying a locked phone again. Screw AT&T.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

yeah, that does suck... and IIRC, exynos devices get the touchwiz launcher update through the play store and snapdragon devices through galaxy apps. I could be wrong but I remember this discussion the last time an update came out.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
yeah, that does suck... and IIRC, exynos devices get the touchwiz launcher update through the play store and snapdragon devices through galaxy apps. I could be wrong but I remember this discussion the last time an update came out.

So if I buy the International version next time I get:
Galaxy App updates on time
Faster OS updates

And I lose...

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Carriers like to FUBAR the user experience as much as they can. T-Mobile blocked the Galaxy Labs/advanced beta features to promote its own caller ID app that nobody subscribes to. Instead, we all had to wait till this year for spam protection on our accounts. What if they denied a crucial update like the E911 issue fix Android had earlier this year?
[doublepost=1504118631][/doublepost]
So if I buy the International version next time I get:
Galaxy App updates on time
Faster OS updates

And I lose...

You may lose Wi-Fi Calling on AT&T and some other AT&T network services, but nothing that would be groundbreaking since Samsung is excellent at maintaining other services on T-Mobile at least. I had Wi-Fi Calling, VoLTE, etc on my S8+ when I had one.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yea, I'm on T-mobile. AT&T and Verizon mess with the firmware a little too much. I haven't had Sprint since dumb phones, so I can't speak on them.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
New Touchwiz update. You can swipe down anywhere on the homescreen to bring down the notification panel. Check updates in Galaxy Apps store. Go to settings/display/home screen to find that setting.

Lol after my post earlier today saying I'd have to go back to Nova Launcher, I got this TouchWiz update...

This thing is FLYING now!!!

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
To the average Joe, the S8/S8+ is the best combination between high end flagship, features, customization, and long term use.

To the techie person, stay away from it and go towards an iPhone, Pixel, HTC, OnePlus.
Techie people don't tend to go for iPhones as iOS is relatively closed and it's not very customise. The iPhone is the prime example of a phone that is great for the average joe and that's why they sell so well. Samsung's S line has a broad appeal too.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The S8 in my own experience falls behind other devices when it comes to its ram management, but again that is a choice Samsung has opted to use (an overly aggressive ram cull) and it will either frustrate you or not. For me personally it totally sullied my experience, however others don't seem to mind apps being reloaded or content refreshed more often than other devices. So YMMV.

Wait, still? I thought we established that it can keep upwards of 10 apps or so fresh without reloading? If I remember correctly, the last time I tested it, I hit 11 or 12 apps before I saw an app finally refresh. I recall others demonstrating with similar results.

I thought this was put to rest already? How many more apps do you need to stay fresh beyond 10 or so? Not denying your usage needs, just curious!
[doublepost=1504125224][/doublepost]
New Touchwiz update. You can swipe down anywhere on the homescreen to bring down the notification panel. Check updates in Galaxy Apps store. Go to settings/display/home screen to find that setting.

Nice. A standard and very useful feature of Nova launcher. It really makes sense for Samsung to incorporate this as their devices are getting taller with the new aspect ratio. No coincidence this update is coming alongside the Note 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Techie people don't tend to go for iPhones as iOS is relatively closed and it's not very customise. The iPhone is the prime example of a phone that is great for the average joe and that's why they sell so well. Samsung's S line has a broad appeal too.

They could still go towards iOS devices because it is generally more secure than Android devices, has better support, and the ecosystem is very comfy. I know the Android Reddit rips Touchwiz because it has episodic lag. Many of those users have a huge appreciation for pure Android. There are many people who favor cleaner software over better hardware.

tendoboy1984

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I REALLY want this phone, but I’m not sure if I can justify spending $700+ on a phone when there are cheaper phones with good enough specs. For my use, a $230 Moto G5 would be perfect. It has enough storage for apps, has a good 1080p screen, a nice durable design that ISN'T made out of glass, and is from a reputable brand.

I could get the Galaxy S8 through my T-Mobile plan and pay monthly payments, but that’ll just bump up my phone bill even more.
[doublepost=1504126013][/doublepost]
And also highly customizable at the same time.
But there are equally good phones that are cheaper. Like the OnePlus and Moto G line.

Reactions: epicrayban

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I REALLY want this phone, but I’m not sure if I can justify spending $700+ on a phone when there are cheaper phones with good enough specs. For my use, a $230 Moto G5 would be perfect. It has enough storage for apps, has a good 1080p screen, a nice durable design that ISN'T made out of glass, and is from a reputable brand.

I could get the Galaxy S8 through my T-Mobile plan and pay monthly payments, but that’ll just bump up my phone bill even more.
But there are equally good phones that are cheaper. Like the OnePlus and Moto G line.

You know what, the Galaxy S7 is still an amazing phone. If you could get that for a good price, you wouldn't go far wrong at all.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Yep, many options.

You should be able to find good deals on the S8. Not sure if it's still going on, but the unlocked models got as low as in the $550 range a couple of weeks ago.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wait, still? I thought we established that it can keep upwards of 10 apps or so fresh without reloading? If I remember correctly, the last time I tested it, I hit 11 or 12 apps before I saw an app finally refresh. I recall others demonstrating with similar results.

Remember your device is the snapdragon. Mine was the exynos. At the most I could keep open before content refreshes (not necessarily app full reload - there is a difference) was 6.

The difference in your user experience doesn't negate mine remember and the only reason it hasn't been discussed of late was that I sold my S8 so saw no reason to lament or discuss.

The only reason I mentioned it earlier was we were asked our experiences and as I say just because yours was different to mine, it doesn't negate mine or make it wrong. It is a case of YMMV.

Others on XDA and Reddit have had similar issues with ram management too.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/memory-management-aggressive-t3597924/amp/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/ram-management-low-free-ram-t3597638/amp/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/how-to/poor-ram-management-t3608631/amp/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/ram-management-issues-t3603566

As I said in the post asking for our opinions, I wouldn't have a problem recommending it for others but my experience was sullied and made unenjoyable by it.

I tried different firmware and updates to remedy it to no avail, before deciding to cut my losses and sell it on.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Remember your device is the snapdragon. Mine was the exynos. At the most I could keep open before content refreshes (not necessarily app full reload - there is a difference) was 6.

The difference in your user experience doesn't negate mine remember and the only reason it hasn't been discussed of late was that I sold my S8 so saw no reason to lament or discuss.

The only reason I mentioned it earlier was we were asked our experiences and as I say just because yours was different to mine, it doesn't negate mine or make it wrong. It is a case of YMMV.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/memory-management-aggressive-t3597924/amp/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/ram-management-low-free-ram-t3597638/amp/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/how-to/poor-ram-management-t3608631/amp/

As I said in the post asking for our opinions, I wouldn't have a problem recommending it for others but my experience was sullied and made unenjoyable by it.

I tried different firmware and updates to remedy it to no avail, before deciding to cut my losses and sell it on.

6 apps only? That's really weird. I thought Exynos was better at things generally than Snapdragon?

Never said anything about negating your experiences.

tendoboy1984

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
You know what, the Galaxy S7 is still an amazing phone. If you could get that for a good price, you wouldn't go far wrong at all.
T-Mobile only sells the regular S7 on their website, they say the S7 Edge has been discontinued (but it’s still sold on Samsung’s site).

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Better, worse, or equal to 3gb on the S7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.