Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandman77

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
I too was blown away the first time I saw a Samsung with the wrap around screen but once I actually used one I realised that it was nothing more than a gimmick. Even thinking about it now I can see no benefit to it whatsoever.
As mentioned above - form over function (and once its in a case it looks cack too).

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I looked at the Note 7 last year and thought it was a great-looking phone. Like someone else said here, the curved glass didn't do much for me, though. I actually liked the S-Pen.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It's a very nice looking phone, I must admit. I do think the curved screen is sort of useless though and the software was not good enough in my eyes. I am looking forward to what Apple has in store with their new iPhone.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I looked at the Note 7 last year and thought it was a great-looking phone. Like someone else said here, the curved glass didn't do much for me, though. I actually liked the S-Pen.
I’ve read that it really helps with ergonomics and makes the larger device easier to hold on to. Was this your experience?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Like many others, the iPhone introduced me to Apple and I switched to Macs and have never looked back (typing on my 2 week old MBP 13" TB)
This is all I wanted to comment on.

The iPhone did not introduce me to Apple.

My mother having taught computers as an elective in high school brought Apple computers in to the home. Starting with a IIe.

Her getting a 7600 in the mid-90s brought a Mac into the home.

Graphic Design school in the 90s had me on Mac IIs. My first job as an Ad Compositor had me working on a PowerMac G4.

I was long using Apple before the iPod, before the iPhone and before I ever converted to it.

I just happen to not fall in that 'many' you mentioned. :D

PS. Typing this on an 11 year old PowerMac G5 Quad with 16GB ram, 1TB boot drive and a 4TB secondary drive - and oh yeah, six displays.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
even Samsung release a magic smartphone i still dont buy it ....

Samsung is good for Television , Refrigerator , so on ,....

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Personally, the wrap around displays don't appeal to me as they reflect light & distort the image (at a slight to severe angle). I don't want a display that 'bleeds' into an unusable area. Seems a bit form over function to me.

New iPhone 8 appears to do away with that, but maintains an efficient screen real estate, which is more what I'm after.

Yes, good point. Of course
I’ve read that it really helps with ergonomics and makes the larger device easier to hold on to. Was this your experience?

I thought it felt great to hold but I always use a case.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
I’ve owned the S8+ since the week it was released and I haven’t grown tired of this display at all. It’s immersive and huge but not unwieldy. I don’t think Apple is going with a wrap around display like the Galaxy series. From the looks of their dummy models, they’re basically putting a larger display in an iPhone 6/7 body. With a notch.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
It's a very nice looking phone, I must admit. I do think the curved screen is sort of useless though and the software was not good enough in my eyes. I am looking forward to what Apple has in store with their new iPhone.
I'm not interested in switching, although I almost wanted to if Apple did not release a big screen phone with the iPhone 6.

Now I can't wait to have a smaller phone with a big screen. My 7plus seemed huge compared to the S8.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
This, to me, is the true success of Samsung edge displays. First they popularized the phablet. Now they're popularizing keeping the screen size you love, but going back to the smaller and more manageable body you were used to.

I love the s8 form factor.
Essential phone has everyone beat in that regard though.

Reactions: epicrayban

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
I’ve owned the S8+ since the week it was released and I haven’t grown tired of this display at all. It’s immersive and huge but not unwieldy. I don’t think Apple is going with a wrap around display like the Galaxy series. From the looks of their dummy models, they’re basically putting a larger display in an iPhone 6/7 body. With a notch.
How are you finding the S8 plus? Worth the money?

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
How are you finding the S8 plus? Worth the money?
I like this phone a lot, and I did one of the BOGO deals so for me it was worth the money because it was practically free after I sold the other S8+. That said I’m probably going to trade it in for a Note 8 because I want the S-Pen.
[doublepost=1504009979][/doublepost]
Where did you get that deal from?

Best Buy

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I like this phone a lot, and I did one of the BOGO deals so for me it was worth the money because it was practically free after I sold the other S8+. That said I’m probably going to trade it in for a Note 8 because I want the S-Pen.
Whenever I see a Note user (which honestly isn’t often) using the S-pen, immediately harkened back to the year 2000 and folks walking around with Palm Pilots. :D

Reactions: Droidbricker

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Whenever I see a Note user (which honestly isn’t often) using the S-pen, immediately harkened back to the year 2000 and folks walking around with Palm Pilots. :D
I had one of those :D
I have to markup word docs, PDF’s and spreadsheets on the go and share that info with coworkers. I could use a clipboard and paper or carry my iPad Pro around for this purpose, but the Note being pocketable is more convenient in some circumstances, and I’m quite lazy.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I had one of those :D
I have to markup word docs, PDF’s and spreadsheets on the go and share that info with coworkers. I could use a clipboard and paper or carry my iPad Pro around for this purpose, but the Note being pocketable is more convenient in some circumstances, and I’m quite lazy.
That sounds like a great fit for your workflow. It’s a shame Apple doesn’t have a better solution for you (E.g. Apple Pencil support for smaller iPads or plus-sized iPhones).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I had a Sony Ericsson p900 and after that a HTC touch diamond 2 that ran windows. They both had a stylus.

So I guess you could so I have a history with these sort of phones :p

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I am... wait for it.... considering a return to the Galaxy S8+. Seems like nothing else out there is efficient and cost effective on Android besides the LG G6. With the G6, I am looking to pay $470 right now (2 year warranty extension requires this crappy purchase from an affiliate or authorized reseller).

HTC U11: costly and no facial detection.
OnePlus 5: Jellyscreen issues, no water resistance, meh cameras, 1080p display, but I can get on sale for $432.
Sony: No FP sensor.
Huawei/Xiaomi Nope, not touching them because of software UI design.
Moto: Don't honor warranties.
Pixel/XL: Ugly bezels, no water resistance, too costly for a 128gb model since 32gb isn't enough.

With the S8+, I am tired of Samsung's crappy customer service, some lag from time to time, the inevitable Samsung software bog, and lack of screen protectors.

It's the best hardware possible, excluding the dual cameras and extra RAM some other phones offer. I am afraid Apple will ask for $1000 without any promos or subsidies for a phone with like half the features of the GS8/8+. Plus, LG is forcing me to choose between $400 or less with a 1 yr warranty or $470 for a 2 year warranty.

Edit, nope no S8+. Just used a family member's S8+ and it was laggy as hell. I opened the app drawer on many attempts and it opened up 15 seconds after. I even tried a restart and same thing.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I am... wait for it.... considering a return to the Galaxy S8+. Seems like nothing else out there is efficient and cost effective on Android besides the LG G6. With the G6, I am looking to pay $470 right now (2 year warranty extension requires this crappy purchase from an affiliate or authorized reseller).

HTC U11: costly and no facial detection.
OnePlus 5: Jellyscreen issues, no water resistance, meh cameras, 1080p display, but I can get on sale for $432.
Sony: No FP sensor.
Huawei/Xiaomi Nope, not touching them because of software UI design.
Moto: Don't honor warranties.
Pixel/XL: Ugly bezels, no water resistance, too costly for a 128gb model since 32gb isn't enough.

With the S8+, I am tired of Samsung's crappy customer service, some lag from time to time, the inevitable Samsung software bog, and lack of screen protectors.

It's the best hardware possible, excluding the dual cameras and extra RAM some other phones offer. I am afraid Apple will ask for $1000 without any promos or subsidies for a phone with like half the features of the GS8/8+. Plus, LG is forcing me to choose between $400 or less with a 1 yr warranty or $470 for a 2 year warranty.

Edit, nope no S8+. Just used a family member's S8+ and it was laggy as hell. I opened the app drawer on many attempts and it opened up 15 seconds after. I even tried a restart and same thing.

15 seconds?

There's something wrong with that phone. It opens up immediately 100% of the time for me.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
15 seconds?

There's something wrong with that phone. It opens up immediately 100% of the time for me.

Could need a factory reset. But I guess it is a sign Samsung isn't for me, even if it has superb hardware and tons of positive reviews?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.