Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I keep jumping back and forth between a Pixel XL and an S8+ every day or two. One has better hardware, one has software that's better after a reset (guessing it was beta gunk?).

Two great options.

The s8 is the most satisfying, worry-free phone I've ever owned. Any shortcomings it might have is completely forgiven by all the many things it does right and well.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Two great options.

The s8 is the most satisfying, worry-free phone I've ever owned. Any shortcomings it might have is completely forgiven by all the many things it does right and well.
I agree, its just a brilliant phone. I really laugh at people who have not used one yet still regurgitate Android issues from 5 years ago, the S8 is at iOS levels of smoothness and has iOS well beat in actual features. Even the security updates have been stepped up bigtime. Its not perfect but for all the stuff it can do its downfalls are easily forgiven.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Any tips on how to stop worrying and switching and just stick to a phone? :D

As you may know, I owned the smaller Pixel and was not satisfied. It felt like I sacrificed too many useful features for, what I deemed as, too little gain. Stock Android wasn't as perfect as everyone claimed it was, and if you know my position about software updates, you know they're just not that important to me. I see them more as bragging rights than actual practical necessity given how feature-rich and stable software is this day and age. I don't need day one bugs.

I don't want to give up wireless charging, where my battery is being conveniently topped off any time I want. Or losing waterproofing, where I can and do regular wash my phone (after using it sweaty at the gym or with sticky fingers while eating). Or just generally having no fear setting my beer or water down next to my phone on the table. The software is far more feature-rich, with really useful things like volume toggles and Always on Display. And entirely stable (I cannot remember the last time an app crashed on me on my s8) and more than fast enough. Milliseconds of difference opening an app just doesn't compel me like it does others.

Not to mention the better design and ergonomics for a "phablet," and the better screen.

When you consider all that, the decision is easy.
[doublepost=1503803498][/doublepost]
I agree, its just a brilliant phone. I really laugh at people who have not used one yet still regurgitate Android issues from 5 years ago, the S8 is at iOS levels of smoothness and has iOS well beat in actual features. Even the security updates have been stepped up bigtime. Its not perfect but for all the stuff it can do its downfalls are easily forgiven.

When you factor in the more consistent user navigation (thanks to the back button), more consistent settings menus, easier and faster methods of typing, more consistent security experience (the iPhone still randomly asks me for pin code to "enable Touch ID" which makes no sense, or forcing me to enter my apple ID password randomly to download apps), and non-stupid update requirements (on the iPhone, you can only download apps larger than 100mb via WiFi. Ditto software updates), I'd argue the Samsung software experience is actually smoother than the iOS experience.

The notion that iOS is faster, easier to use, more consistent, and even more stable is something we have to start admitting simply isn't so easily true anymore.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
As you may know, I owned the smaller Pixel and was not satisfied. It felt like I sacrificed too many useful features for, what I deemed as too little gain. Stock Android wasn't as perfect as everyone claimed it was, and if you know my position about software updates, you know they're just not that important to me. I see them more as bragging rights than actual practical necessity given how feature-rich and stable software is this day and age. I don't need day one bugs.

I don't want to give up wireless charging, where my battery is being conveniently topped off any time I want. Or losing waterproofing, where I can and do regular wash my phone (after using it sweaty at the gym or with sticky fingers while eating). Or just generally having no fear setting my beer or water down next to my phone on the table. The software is far more feature-rich, with really useful things like volume toggles and Always on Display. And entirely stable (I cannot remember the last time an app crashed on me on my s8) and more than fast enough. Milliseconds of difference opening an app just doesn't compel me like it does others.

Not to mention the better design and ergonomics for a "phablet," and the better screen.

When you consider all that, the decision is easy.

I might have bookmarked this so I can read it whenever I get that itch to switch back. Also, I've had more app crashes on O than my S8+. So there's that.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I might have bookmarked this so I can read it whenever I get that itch to switch back. Also, I've had more app crashes on O than my S8+. So there's that.

I can remember more apps crashing on my Pixel and my iPhone than I can remember on my s7e or s8. It's so unbelievably rare.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
The notion that iOS is faster, easier to use, more consistent, and even more stable is something we have to start admitting simply isn't so easily true anymore.

this.is.so.true!

Samsung's software on the S8(Plus) is almost on par with iOS. I can imagine people prefer iOS over Android. But what Samsung has done with the monthly software updates on the S8 is very nice. They are stepping up their ''game''.
All the extra feautures you get with the S8 are very nicely tuned the last few months with (useful!!) software updates (for example via the Galaxy Store)

With my latest August update, its flying.....just like iOS 10.3.3 is on my iPhone 7.

Reactions: epicrayban

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
this.is.so.true!

Samsung's software on the S8(Plus) is almost on par with iOS. I can imagine people prefer iOS over Android. But what Samsung has done with the monthly software updates on the S8 is very nice.
With my latest August update, its flying..just like my iPhone 7.
I totally agree, when the phone was first released it still had the signature touchwiz micro-stutters and lag but the updates have fixed it completely. My mate has a Pixel XL and he was surprised how my S8 is actually running smoother then his Pixel. It might seem like I'm raving on about the S8 like a fanboy but the improvement over the S7 is real.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Android has always had iOS best in terms of features. To be fair even going back as far as the S5, android was stable for me. No major hick ups. I'd go as far as to say it was probably on a par with the iPhone then and certainly when I used the S7 edge last year I had zero problems with stability or fluidity.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I have purchased every new iPhone since release. Like many others, the iPhone introduced me to Apple and I switched to Macs and have never looked back (typing on my 2 week old MBP 13" TB)

Well, I was walking through Sams Club today and ended up seeing the Galaxy S8 for the first time. I picked it up and was immediately in love with the infinity display! I love how it wraps around and it looked fantastic. I looked at the S8 and S8+

This got me really excited for the upcoming announcement for the new iPhone. For several years now, the leaked information has mirrored the released form factor so I don't hold out hope that it will have curved or an infinity display but I am really excited for a full display that will shrink my 7Plus to the size of a 7 with out losing any screen size. Personally, I would buy the S8 over the S8+ so with rumors being the new iPhone being OLED with a 5.8" display and the overall size of the smaller iPhone 7, I'm really looking forward to carrying a smaller phone with an amazing screen!

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
another reason people might prefer iOS over Android/TouchWiz is when they have OCD. ;)

A lot of people who are very sensitive for milli seconds of lag or when an app is opening 0.002 seconds faster on an iPhone compared to the S8 :p

And I still think a lot of people who are complaining about the S8 have not even had a real experience for like about a month or so... ''Other people say the S8 lags and is slow, so it must be true"

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
another reason people might prefer iOS over Android/TouchWiz is when they have OCD. ;)

A lot of people who are very sensitive for milli seconds of lag or when an app is opening 0.002 seconds faster on an iPhone compared to the S8 :p

And I still think a lot of people who are complaining about the S8 have not even had a real experience for like about a month or so... ''Other people say the S8 lags and is slow, so it must be true"
You wouldn't even notice the difference is in app opening times unless you have the two phones side by side. All this lagging stuff is nonsense. All phones lag from time to time. Even my 7 plus has frozen a few times in Flipboard this pay week.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Personally, the wrap around displays don't appeal to me as they reflect light & distort the image (at a slight to severe angle). I don't want a display that 'bleeds' into an unusable area. Seems a bit form over function to me.

New iPhone 8 appears to do away with that, but maintains an efficient screen real estate, which is more what I'm after.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My S8+ has been lagging and freezing especially on the camera and I found out Pokémon Go was running somehow even though it appeared to be closed in the task switcher. I am now lag free again. :D My thanks to that built in app that let me know what was draining the battery (though I actually didn't notice any untoward battery drain). :confused:??

I was really pleased to see another update. Samsung and AT&T seem to be doing a decent job pushing the updates for this phone.
[doublepost=1503850893][/doublepost]
You wouldn't even notice the difference is in app opening times unless you have the two phones side by side. All this lagging stuff is nonsense. All phones lag from time to time. Even my 7 plus has frozen a few times in Flipboard this pay week.
My 7Plus crashes on news apps quite a bit.

I rarely have lag or freeze on an iOS device these days but full on crashes to the home screen definitely are a thing. With my Samsung it's the opposite. I rarely have an app crash. I actually can't recall it happening recently. But I will get animation stutters, some lag, and the occasional freeze. Now that I've caught Pokémon Go being naughty, I am hoping not to see any more of any of that for a good long while.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I've experienced on both my iPhone and iPad apps graying out, signifying the app has been tapped, but not launcher for a split second.

All devices lag every now and then. It's a non-issue.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I've found that as long as I restart my S8 every few days I don't have any lag issues. The very second I feel like something isn't running smoothly enough I restart, and then I'm good for a while.

I looked at the Note 8 at Best Buy last night. Honestly, I don't know how anyone else is even competing with Samsung. IMO, everything else just sucks when compared to the S8 or Note 8.

Maybe iPhone 8 will tempt me, but probably only the hardware.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

I have the S8+ and iPhone 7+. There's no discernable difference in response time or OS fluidity.

Some things flow better of the iPhone and in some areas the S8 definitely has better stability, responsiveness and usability.

It's not 2010 anymore, android is incredibly mature and works well. It's something you have to appreciate with use, not forum rumors.
[doublepost=1503851711][/doublepost]
I've found that as long as I restart my S8 every few days I don't have any lag issues. The very second I feel like something isn't running smoothly enough I restart, and then I'm good for a while.

I looked at the Note 8 at Best Buy last night. Honestly, I don't know how anyone else is even competing with Samsung. IMO, everything else just sucks when compared to the S8 or Note 8.

Maybe iPhone 8 will tempt me, but probably only the hardware.

I'm avoiding playing with the Note8 Demo Because I know I'll end up pre-ordering it.

I want to sit tight and wait for the iPhone reveal and see what Apple has up it's sleeve.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I felt the Pixel software experience was faster than iOS, if people care about milliseconds.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
So you are saying that the S8 is so smooth as the iPhone 7? No lag or whatever…? Could you also compare the audio quality over the headphones: which sounds "better" according to you? Which S8 version has you?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So you are saying that the S8 is so smooth as the iPhone 7? No lag or whatever…? Could you also compare the audio quality over the headphones: which sounds "better" according to you? Which S8 version has you?

I use BT, it all sounds similar. But, yes, the S8 Plus is just as smooth for me compared to the 7 Plus. Didn't have lag issues with either aside from iOS 11 betas.

Thinking of trying to stick with this one until the S10 and probably getting international if they keep pushing updates to that one faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.