Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Not to mention the person stealing your phone would have to know you and/or somehow have a nice close up, hi res picture of you.

While the likelihood is low, I was just stating that it was an known issue at one point. Plus, an Iris Scanner just gave me more reliability and confidence. To this day, my dad's S8+ has issues with facial recognition working spot on for a minute and then becoming erratic as Mark Sanchez the next minute. I had erratic facial recognition performance from the S8+ as well. Iris Scanner performed phenomenally if programmed correctly.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I ssssoooooooooooo want to see a comparison between the S8 normal size and iPhone 8, both rumoured to be the exact same size, yet the S8 could be half the cost of the iPhone!
It's such a damn sexy design in black!

Yeah, but the S8 doesn't run iOS. So its cost relative to an iPhone 8 really doesn't matter.

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and yui4

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
For taking my phone away from me, Samsung is offering me a $25 eCoupon on their website with my S8+ return, like wtf?
[doublepost=1502466773][/doublepost]
Yeah, but the S8 doesn't run iOS. So its cost relative to an iPhone 8 really doesn't matter.

But you cannot put a tangible price on the OS itself because it's value is relative to the person using it. I can find an objective person that can put a $300 price tag on it or someone else that would put a $500 price tag on it. It comes down to how much iOS is worth to you.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
For taking my phone away from me, Samsung is offering me a $25 eCoupon on their website with my S8+ return, like wtf?
[doublepost=1502466773][/doublepost]

But you cannot put a tangible price on the OS itself because it's value is relative to the person using it. I can find an objective person that can put a $300 price tag on it or someone else that would put a $500 price tag on it. It comes down to how much iOS is worth to you.

Insisting there's a cheaper alternative to the iPhone 8 isn't relevant unless you're completely OS agnostic. Most people aren't. Thus if you're "stuck" or want an iOS phone, the S8 being cheaper than the new iPhone is meaningless.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If you want a more affordable iOS smartphone, there will be the 7S models, but then you miss out on some of the flagship features.

Then there are the 7 models from last year, which in my opinion, are poor excuses for flagship devices. They'll be even cheaper though!

And those that are willing to try Android will have plenty of more affordable options besides just the S8 models, too.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Insisting there's a cheaper alternative to the iPhone 8 isn't relevant unless you're completely OS agnostic. Most people aren't. Thus if you're "stuck" or want an iOS phone, the S8 being cheaper than the new iPhone is meaningless.

My point was you can't put a price on iOS though. If people cannot separate themselves from iOS, then it means that their phone experience is tied into 3-4 newer options: SE, iPhone 7/7S, iPhone 7+/7S+, or the iPhone 8. The alternatives to the iPhone 8 is anything that isn't an iPhone 8 if you want to stick in the iOS area.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Their will be a cheaper alternative, the S8, I was talking design anyway, the S8 will have a better screen and a sexy sleek bezel free design and a finger print sensor for half the cost, if the rumours are true..
I suspect an awful lot of people will switch phone OS's due to that, they'll want that new design look and that screen but won't pay over 1000 for it.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Their will be a cheaper alternative, the S8, I was talking design anyway, the S8 will have a better screen and a sexy sleek bezel free design and a finger print sensor for half the cost, if the rumours are true..
I suspect an awful lot of people will switch phone OS's due to that, they'll want that new design look and that screen but won't pay over 1000 for it.

Hell, if we are talking about just on a monetary stand point, I would tell people to go LG G6 because it should cost like $350 next month since its value tanks fast. That's $150-$200 cheaper than the S8 and even cheaper than the S8+.

You get same RAM quantity, similar screen resolution and aspect ratio, no crappy experience with trying to protect some curved edges, includes water resistance, less lag, faster quick charging, dual cameras, better FP sensor, facial detection, faster major OS updates, and a 2 year warranty.

Yes, the trade offs are not as aesthetically pleasing device, no Samsung exclusive features, no Iris scanner, no Samsung Pay, a slightly less performing camera, LG only uses the 821 processor, and Samsung offers more color choices.

But I rather spend $350 than $600 and $1000 to get bleeding edge. I am super close to doing that if the "mythical iPhone 8" isn't such behemoth or doesn't offer flexible price options.

Considering that $ can go towards bills, mortgages, auto payments, etc, it's better to cut down on unnecessary costs.

Reactions: Geert76

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I suspect you're quite wrong. People have been insisting this almost literally every new iPhone iteration year over year. If you were right, they'd already have bought into the S8 because it's available *right now*.

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I suspect you're quite wrong. People have been insisting this almost literally every new iPhone iteration year over year. If you were right, they'd already have bought into the S8 because it's available *right now*.

A lot is relative though. 2k people switching is a lot. He/she didn't claim a majority or most. The point being said that economics is an important determining factor with the iPhone 8. If people can't afford it, then it's better for them to find something just as good for cheaper. Choice is good.

Reactions: apolloa

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
A lot is relative though. 2k people switching is a lot. He/she didn't claim a majority or most. The point being said that economics is an important determining factor with the iPhone 8. If people can't afford it, then it's better for them to find something just as good for cheaper. Choice is good.

Whether or not people can afford it doesn't matter. It's whether or not they want it and have access to a credit card, cash, or good enough credit to get on an installment plan.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Whether or not people can afford it doesn't matter. It's whether or not they want it and have access to a credit card, cash, or good enough credit to get on an installment plan.

That's how debt grows for some people. Cards shouldn't be just swiped easily for expensive purchases. I never spend more than I have or will have with a budget plan.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

The majority of these phones are not purchased outright. They're mostly on some form of payment plan.

No one is arguing against choice.

2k switching OS's is not "a lot".

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The majority of these phones are not purchased outright. They're mostly on some form of payment plan.

No one is arguing against choice.

2k switching OS's is not "a lot".

2000 people is a lot of people. A lot is also relative. Why are we arguing semantics?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hell, if we are talking about just on a monetary stand point, I would tell people to go LG G6 because it should cost like $350 next month since its value tanks fast. That's $150-$200 cheaper than the S8 and even cheaper than the S8+.

You get same RAM quantity, similar screen resolution and aspect ratio, no crappy experience with trying to protect some curved edges, includes water resistance, less lag, faster quick charging, dual cameras, better FP sensor, facial detection, faster major OS updates, and a 2 year warranty.

Yes, the trade offs are not as aesthetically pleasing device, no Samsung exclusive features, no Iris scanner, no Samsung Pay, a slightly less performing camera, LG only uses the 821 processor, and Samsung offers more color choices.

But I rather spend $350 than $600 and $1000 to get bleeding edge. I am super close to doing that if the "mythical iPhone 8" isn't such behemoth or doesn't offer flexible price options.

Considering that $ can go towards bills, mortgages, auto payments, etc, it's better to cut down on unnecessary costs.

You could say that, but I'm yet to see a G6, so for me the S8 is still the sexier more appealing design, plus hardly anyone buys an LG :(

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
You could say that, but I'm yet to see a G6, so for me the S8 is still the sexier more appealing design, plus hardly anyone buys an LG :(

At least I can't be called a follower haha. I rather save $ with the G6 than spend double the price or triple the price for "phone aesthetic appeal" alone. But I am going for the utility if I go for the iPhone 8.

Reactions: apolloa

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Got another full software update, and also updated to August security patch!
Screenshot_20170817-084619.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.