Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I flashed (via Odin en SamFirm) the August 1st update, yesterday morning. I was previous on the June update. So skipped quite a few months ;)

The system overall definitely feels much smoother and faster as before (after 24 hours after installation).
I notice less stutter/lag then before this update (mind you, I skipped from June to August in one time).

I really think Samsung is pushing some nice (stability) updates along with the monthly Android security updates with this Samsung S8.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Ive had more updates on the S8 plus then on my past 2 Samsung phones combined so far. Samsung really lifting their game. The phone is running like an absolute dream.

same thoughts here.
Last year I had the S7 for a few months, the (stability)updates for the S8 now are far, far more useful and better then last year with the S7.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I picked up a Gear S3 watch this week so now I guess I'm "all in" with Android/Samsung. I still miss iMessage very much but otherwise I'm a happy camper.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
My point was you can't put a price on iOS though. If people cannot separate themselves from iOS, then it means that their phone experience is tied into 3-4 newer options: SE, iPhone 7/7S, iPhone 7+/7S+, or the iPhone 8. The alternatives to the iPhone 8 is anything that isn't an iPhone 8 if you want to stick in the iOS area.

I have to agree with this: I've taken care be be as OS agnostic as possible as I tend to flip between iOS and Android and just pick the best device for me at the time (so at the moment, that's an S8 for my phone and an iPad for my tablet). My wife, on the other hand, really, really can't get on with Android and will only consider iOS devices.

For her it doesn't matter what functionality Android devices have, they don't have iOS and will therefore be discounted immediately

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I have to agree with this: I've taken care be be as OS agnostic as possible as I tend to flip between iOS and Android and just pick the best device for me at the time (so at the moment, that's an S8 for my phone and an iPad for my tablet). My wife, on the other hand, really, really can't get on with Android and will only consider iOS devices.

For her it doesn't matter what functionality Android devices have, they don't have iOS and will therefore be discounted immediately

If I go iPhone 8, I might buy a cheap android device to have around as a device to mix it up. Maybe if the Moto E4 on Verizon drops to like $10 on Black Friday, I'll buy that because it's $40 now. Though, for $10 it can't be beat, but $40 is just pointless for me since I am penny pinching for the iPhone 8.

If there aren't carrier friendly deals/offers, I will go LG V30 or LG G6 and keep my SE around because having that iOS device gives me comfort about continuity, consistency, and reliability. Though, I expect those things for the most part out of any flagship on Android I get from here on out. That means Samsung is off my list. I want them to improve software consistency and performance. But sadly, their best option was the Google Play edition and never followed up with that because it means Pure Android and the S8's amazing hardware in 2017.

But as for your wife's preferences, many people are the same because it's hard to leave something that works well and has longevity. All those apps she accumulated over the years might not necessarily exist on the Google Play Store or transfer content over. iCloud makes it so seamless to host data.

It's crazy how I can get my icon/folder arrangement from my SE to my iPhone 7+ with one simple set up via iOS. If I go from Samsung to HTC, I can't get a similar layout because of fragmentation and skin differences.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So I've had to kill Bixby Voice. The thing just doesn't work.

1) Password voice unlock? No.

2) Hi Bixby! About 2 out of 10 attempts.

3) Actually doing what I ask it too - about 4 out of 10.

It's a promising service but right now it seems to be destroying my battery life. Brutal.

I'm happy to let everyone else improve it for now. Going back to Bixby Remapper app!!

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Bixby remapper works? Without root or any other complications?

Recommendations?

No root at all! Just download an app from the app store.

It's brilliant, honestly. I'm using a free one called "Bixby Button Remapper" and there's another one called "bxActions - Bixby" (but that one seems to sneak in a Pro Mode for $2 or something.

Do it. Trust me. Just do it.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
bxactions from the Play Store(no root needed) works marvelous. I had it a few weeks ago but it was slow and made my S8 laggy while scrolling sometimes.

The dev recently made some real useful and refinement in his update. You now have (the new) Control Mode, which instantly works after pressing the Bixby button.
You can have single, longpress and double tap. You can hang all kind of actions or launching apps.

I have the following actions configured (the possiblities are almost endless)

- single tap = Back
- double tap = App switcher
- longpress = Home

And you can use this also from lockscreen (with screen off!)
My actions/apps from lockscreen:

- single tap = Flashlight
- double tap = launch my Hue app so I can quickly controll the light at home.

When using Control Mode, all of these action launch instantly now. And no choppiness while scrolling in apps (like it was in the past).
This dev is really keeping this app updateded with refinements and useful feautures.

I have turned the useless Bixby button into a (massive) powerful button :)

I don't have to use the navigation bar at all, if I want.

On XDA forums there is a complete topic about bxactions by the dev of bxactions. It will cost you about 2 or 3 minutes time to set things up

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
bxactions (no root needed) works marvelous. I had it a few weeks ago but it was slow and made my S8 laggy while scrolling sometimes.

The dev recently made some real useful and refinement in his update. You now have (the new) Control Mode, which instantly works after pressing the Bixby button.
You can have single, longpress and double tap. You can hang all kind of actions or launching apps.

- single tap = Back
- longpress = Home

When using Control Mode, all of these action launch instantly now. And no choppiness while scrolling in apps (like it was in the past).
This dev is really keeping this app updates with refinements and useful feautures.

I have turned the useless Bixby button into a powerful button :)

On XDA forums there is a complete topic about bxactions by the dev of bxactions.

Wow, awesome!! I might give it a try too.

Reactions: epicrayban

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Best $2 or $3 , I am not sure anymore ;) , (this is to get Pro mode) spend in a very long time in the Play Store.

Funny isn't it... Imagine if Samsung had said at the start:

"Look, here's this customisable button on the side. The default setting is Bixby, but you can change it to whatever you want, no problem."

People would have praised them massively. It's genuinely useful having that button available!

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
So I've had to kill Bixby Voice. The thing just doesn't work.

1) Password voice unlock? No.

2) Hi Bixby! About 2 out of 10 attempts.

3) Actually doing what I ask it too - about 4 out of 10.
!
Same here. I gotta look into these apps mentioned above.
[doublepost=1503583701][/doublepost]
bxactions from the Play Store(no root needed) works marvelous. I had it a few weeks ago but it was slow and made my S8 laggy while scrolling sometimes.

The dev recently made some real useful and refinement in his update.

So it's better now? Or still slow and laggy??

Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Same here. I gotta look into these apps mentioned above.
[doublepost=1503583701][/doublepost]

So it's better now? Or still slow and laggy??

Much, much better and no lag at all. This is due to the new Control Mode, recently addes in one of his new updates. To get this, you'll have to donate him a cup of coffee. Just install the free version first, open the app and then you'll see how to get the Pro version (it's just $2 or $3, worth every penny!)

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Much, much better and no lag at all. This is due to the new Control Mode, recently addes in one of his new updates. To get this, you'll have to donate him a cup of coffee. Just install the free version first, open the app and then you'll see how to get the Pro version (it's just $2 or $3, worth every penny!)
Great. Thanks!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Sweet! Gonna give these options a try. Thanks, er'body.

It reminds me of the action button on Blackberries that you could, by default, remap to whatever action you wanted. I loved that button on my old Blackberries. I was hoping the S8's button would become the same. Can't wait to find out...!

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

- single tap = Back
- longpress = Home

This dev is really keeping this app updateded with refinements and useful feautures.

I have turned the useless Bixby button into a (massive) powerful button :)

On XDA forums there is a complete topic about bxactions by the dev of bxactions. It will cost you about 2 or 3 minutes time to set things up

thanks for this! I got control mode up and running, bye bye Bixby! One press for sound profiles and double click for flashlight. So much better than bxactions was before. Glad the dev is on top of making it work very well!

Reactions: JaySoul and Geert76

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
thanks for this! I got control mode up and running, bye bye Bixby! One press for sound profiles and double click for flashlight. So much better than bxactions was before. Glad the dev is on top of making it work very well!
I want that flashlight shortcut! I'm at work and haven't had a chance to look at this. Is there anything special that needs to be done to get this bxactions app to work?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I want that flashlight shortcut! I'm at work and haven't had a chance to look at this. Is there anything special that needs to be done to get this bxactions app to work?

Yeah, in order to get that "Control Mode" to work, you have to grant the app some permissions via adb on your computer. I just hooked up to my iMac and followed the adb commands the app tells you run. If you are familiar with adb, it's pretty easy. The app still works in other modes besides "control mode" but I think this allows you to have better performance.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands

You're welcome. Yeah, the dev is really on top of it with his updates last few weekend.

From a useless (Bixby) button to a very useful, powerfull button! :)

Reactions: co.ag.2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.