Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
For whatever reason the S8 just isn't doing it for me, I think its how the rounded corners of the display look. I would probably be more inclined to get a S7 just to play with since thats all I would really be doing with it.

Reactions: 5105973

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I had the exact opposite experience. My S7 edge was good when I first had it....then when it got Nougat the performance was actually better. Battery life improved too....

Ditto for my S7 and my wife who has my hand me down S6 gets amazing endurance, she just got the Nougat update yesterday so hoping it will improve further

Not sure what the other poster is doing to get only 3-4 hours outside of jump starting the car LOL

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Are a lot of you switching from iPhone to the s8? I'm pondering switching from iPhone 7 plus to galaxy s8, but I like the ease of my Apple Watch. That's what is keeping me from switching.
No, I am not switching but will be running both concurrently. The iPhone 7 Plus looks like an outdated slab next to the S8 to many people, but in actual use, I think it's the most refined experience of iOS and Apple's cameras that I've experienced to date.

So much so, that it's my intention to keep it past the 2017 iPhone release, as exciting as that's sure to be, and go for the "S" version of the iPhone 8 or whatever the anniversary iphone ends up being named. If I could have only one phone it would be my IPhone 7 Plus.

I'm getting the S8 for fun and for an expanded perspective on the smartphone arena. If it turns out to be an extremely refined version of Android or the Samsung version of Android, I'll be thrilled. But I'm not counting it as my anchor, yet. I admit iOS 10 has been wonky for me, but it still meets my needs most consistently and well, and best keeps me connected to the people I need to be connected with via iMessage.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What did it for me was the Apple Watch. Switching to Samsung, even if temporary would then make my Apple Watch, which I love dearly, pointless to have.

Like I said a few posts above. I wish I could rent the phone for a couple of weeks just for kicks.

That's part of my issue as well. I have 2 apples watches and I would hate to have to replace them. iOS ecosystem I could care less about, it sucks anyway IMO. I'm going to be patient and wait for apple, but I won't rule out buying a s8 for $400-500 which is what they will be on swappa in 2-3 months.

octoberdana

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Ditto for my S7 and my wife who has my hand me down S6 gets amazing endurance, she just got the Nougat update yesterday so hoping it will improve further

Not sure what the other poster is doing to get only 3-4 hours outside of jump starting the car LOL
I had a Galaxy 6 and the battery was terrible. I had better battery experience with my S4. I'm a moderate user so I'm just being honest. My co worker has the S6 and her battery life is not great either.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Another sign that Samsung is going to get better with updates? Can they prove once again that they're learning? I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it...

http://www.talkandroid.com/312577-samsung-galaxy-s8-software-android-7-nougat-7-1-coming/

Samsung’s Galaxy S8 and S8+ run Android 7.0 Nougat right now, but 7.1.1 is on the way

We spoke with a product expert at Samsung’s Unpacked event for the Galaxy S8 and S8+ launch who told Talk Android that Android 7.1.1 for these phones should be ready by the time they’re released. If true, it’ll either be pre-installed on all units or more likely available a software update upon activation by users.

Question: Can having a single SKU help with Android version software updates?

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
That's part of my issue as well. I have 2 apples watches and I would hate to have to replace them. iOS ecosystem I could care less about, it sucks anyway IMO. I'm going to be patient and wait for apple, but I won't rule out buying a s8 for $400-500 which is what they will be on swappa in 2-3 months.

And in fairness to Samsung, that Gear S3 Frontier is really good. Ugh. Decisions Decisions

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I lost my original series SS Apple Watch. I've not been able to find it since a trip I took in October. I may still have it buried in a purse or sports bag somewhere but I've turned everything upside down so, I guess it's lost. It doesn't help my bedroom is piled up with things from other rooms that are being worked on. I gave my sport watch to my daughter.

I'd say I miss it, but over time I've bonded to my Gear watches, one of which has its own phone number, so I dropped my idea of getting another Apple Watch. Especially now that the black and yellow Nike one is offered no more.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
While I'm way too ingrained in the Apple ecosystem (iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch, MBP, Apple TV's), I have always wanted to try out the Galaxy phones. I stumbled upon a deal for the S7 that was too good to pass up, so I ended up purchasing it. Keep in mind, that I have very minimal experience with Android as I have been an iOS user since the first iPhone.

I'm primarily just using the device at home to toy around with. The screen is absolutely gorgeous! Although I hate with a passion the bloatware that is preloaded on the phone. I'm definitely a fan of the customization you can do with different themes and what have you (certainly something you can't do with iOS). While I'm not jumping ship to Android anytime soon, it certainly has given me a better appreciation of the other mobile OS's available. Looking back, if I wanted a pure Android experience, I probably should have went with the Nexus 5x or Pixel, but I actually like the design of the S6 and S7.

The S8 definitely looks like a gorgeous phone, but considering that I'm not a fan of the plus model iPhones, I doubt I would buy it since it's 5.8" and I don't have huge hands. The 5.1" screen of the S7 definitely would be the max I would get since I can still hold it comfortably in my hand.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
And in fairness to Samsung, that Gear S3 Frontier is really good. Ugh. Decisions Decisions

The Gear S3 does look super nice. It's too large for my mish mash watch, I attached my AW to the opposite watch band as my mechanical watch, so am hesitant to have to make hardware modifications for a new watch.
[doublepost=1490979921][/doublepost]I'm bummed, I've read several news reports this morning that claim a picture can defeat the facial recognition system on the S8. With the HORRIBLE placement of the fingerprint sensor, and now the facial recognition under suspicion I suppose that leaves the iris scanner, if that even works alone. I'll be curious to see reviews and how you all handle unlocking the phone.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The fingerprint sensor is a complete screw up on Samsung's fault. Otherwise, it looks like a good device if you can tolerate second rate software.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The Gear S3 does look super nice. It's too large for my mish mash watch, I attached my AW to the opposite watch band as my mechanical watch, so am hesitant to have to make hardware modifications for a new watch.
[doublepost=1490979921][/doublepost]I'm bummed, I've read several news reports this morning that claim a picture can defeat the facial recognition system on the S8. With the HORRIBLE placement of the fingerprint sensor, and now the facial recognition under suspicion I suppose that leaves the iris scanner, if that even works alone. I'll be curious to see reviews and how you all handle unlocking the phone.
At first I was surprised and appalled, too, then I remembered that unlike Apple, which traditionally has kept back features until they were perfected, Samsung loads them on almost as soon as they are invented. Customers act as guinea pigs, more or less, and disable what they don't like. Samsung meanwhile somehow gets the feedback and fixes the new feature for the next phone. We may not even have to wait for the next generation if we alternate between the S's and the Notes.

I've read that the iris scanner has been greatly improved over the one on the Note 7 and that one wasn't half bad.

I guess they figure play 'em if they've got 'em. I think they are somewhat intent on breaking out of the Samesung stigma that their prior leadership got them into, that they race their new features out as fast as they can, to prove they had it first and avoid being accused of copying Apple. They figured they loaded the phone with enough options to unlock that we will sort it all out amongst ourselves. That's the vibe I got from their Unpacked event, anyway.

Unfortunately they can't ever win, because I see people here on MR accusing them of somehow knowing in advance through the supply chain everything Apple has planned and copying the plans.

I must say that I'm happy Samsung seems responsive to customer opinion up to a certain point. They realized they goofed removing SD storage options so they brought it back. They realized they made the Edge a bit too edgy and refined that. I just don't know if they will ever bring back IR blasters, removable batteries and flat screens. I think they've found a groove they're comfortable with for now. They had better keep that headphone jack at least through the Note 8, though or I'll be very grumpy.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
There is some false information around S8 camera. Media is saying that both camera are same, which is plain wrong. They use different sensors in S8 - IMX333 and S5K2L2.

Check this comparison between S7 and S8 images.

https://www.lowyat.net/2017/128364/blind-camera-comparison-samsung-galaxy-s8-and-galaxy-s7-edge/

Frankly S7 images look really bad in comparison now. Better dynamic range, much better details. I think they didn't spend a lot of time about camera during the event, hence all this false information.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
While I'm way too ingrained in the Apple ecosystem (iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch, MBP, Apple TV's), I have always wanted to try out the Galaxy phones. I stumbled upon a deal for the S7 that was too good to pass up, so I ended up purchasing it. Keep in mind, that I have very minimal experience with Android as I have been an iOS user since the first iPhone.

I'm primarily just using the device at home to toy around with. The screen is absolutely gorgeous! Although I hate with a passion the bloatware that is preloaded on the phone. I'm definitely a fan of the customization you can do with different themes and what have you (certainly something you can't do with iOS). While I'm not jumping ship to Android anytime soon, it certainly has given me a better appreciation of the other mobile OS's available. Looking back, if I wanted a pure Android experience, I probably should have went with the Nexus 5x or Pixel, but I actually like the design of the S6 and S7.

The S8 definitely looks like a gorgeous phone, but considering that I'm not a fan of the plus model iPhones, I doubt I would buy it since it's 5.8" and I don't have huge hands. The 5.1" screen of the S7 definitely would be the max I would get since I can still hold it comfortably in my hand.
The S8 in hand feels smaller than my S7, and it actually is 1 mm smaller width wise.

Reactions: Jetcat3

PrincePoppycock

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Iowa
I can't WAIT to return to the S8! My only decision is choosing between the S8 which I can get for free (our carrier US Cellular is offering a monthly credit to off set the price) or the S8+. I just need to get my behind to a Best Buy so I can play with these bad boys! I've NEVER been this excited for a phone before!

Reactions: Jetcat3 and JaySoul

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Got a chance to play with both models today. Went to a Bell store early and got to handle them without the tethers. Absolutely gorgeous! The pressure sensitive home button feels a lot like 3d touch on the iPhone 7. The plus size is about one "S7 Edge bezel" taller than my S7 Edge. Very manageable with no accidental touches. Really like how there's no "Edge" between the display and the frame. Makes it easier to hold for longer without a case.

The phone definitely doesn't have stereo speakers, but the one it does have is a lot better than the one on last year's devices. Louder and less tinny.

Colour me impressed. Don't think I'll replace my S7 Edge with it, but it's tempting.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and JaySoul

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That's not good but I suppose if your phone was stolen the thief wouldn't know what you looked like so they wouldn't be able to use a picture of you to get into the phone. It's probably only people that know you that would have access to a picture of you which they could use to get into the phone.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Are a lot of you switching from iPhone to the s8? I'm pondering switching from iPhone 7 plus to galaxy s8, but I like the ease of my Apple Watch. That's what is keeping me from switching.
Was very tempted but will be waiting for the iPhone 8 and what that provides.

My dad is ordering the S8 via Vodafone so will have a hands on with it and give my thoughts then

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think that fingerprint sensor being on the back could be a blessing in disguise for me at least. I think you would get used to its position even if you had to use two hands. However I didn't find the scanner on the S7 edge to be that reliable. It failed often. I think this was because the shape of the home button was more of an oval and didn't fit a finger. The sensor on the back looks bigger than the old home button.

But the iris scanner and facial recognition should make up for it.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The S8 in hand feels smaller than my S7, and it actually is 1 mm smaller width wise.

I know I shouldn't pass judgment since I have yet to hold a S8. I guess because I've played around with the 6s Plus and 7 Plus and immediately didn't consider it due to the screen size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.