Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Got a chance to play with the S8 and S8+ at BB. WOW what beautiful design and build. The software is soooo smoooth. Not a hiccup or slow down. It was every bit as smooth as my Pixel XL.
No false touches at all they have perfected the curves. It is not as pronounced as the S7 edge and really you don't even notice the curved edges when holding the S8.

My only con was the FPS....gonna take some getting used to the location.
I am right handed but pick up my phones with my left hand and use my right hand to touch the screen.
I had a hard time getting my fingers to find the FPS. Gonna have to switch hands as the FPS is easier to reach with my right hand. I hope the facial software really works.

Overall i am glad I preordered the S8+ Orchid Gray as that color is soo nice!

Here is my 7+ next to the S8+
2210b3dd9ed2d16c397e92385c46dd83.jpg

I didn't know they had display models already out? I thought they would only be out on release day.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
So, does anyone know for sure if this phone has the LED notification light still that you can customize with the Lightflow App?

Edit: I found the answer in another forum, it indeed still does have the LED light! No clue why I am excited about it, but missed having one since my old s3. It was VERY useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: gotluck

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Okay, I feel somewhat more assured of Samsung customer service than I had been. When I placed my preorder yesterday morning, half asleep, I accidentally used the credit card that always freaks out "fraud alert" if I so much as shop at a grocery store in the next town instead of my usual store. So the credit card company texted my husband the usual "We rejected this transaction, OMG is this a fraudz" alert when Samsung attempted to process my preorder.

After we dealt with the credit card company I tried calling Samsung to make sure the preorder was still in place but the queue was going to be 30 minutes. So I used their online email contact form which promises a reply within 24 hours. (I totally did not believe that). But sure enough, in less than that, first thing this morning, I got a reply and it was an actual response from an actual person who had looked into the matter for me and assured me that the preorder status was still intact.

This is such a contrast to Google, whom I had contacted with a simple but important question about a preorder. Not only did they ignore my first inquiry despite the same 24-hour response promise, but my second inquiry received a canned response that bore absolutely no relation to my question and directed me back to their web site to ask for help again. Holy brother of cheese, was I furious. That's not the reason I ended up cancelling the two Pixel preorders I had with them, but it did reinforce other customer service complaints I've heard about them and reinforced my decision to give them a wide berth until they have established their Pixel customer service presence. I'm hoping it all comes together for them this year.

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So, does anyone know for sure if this phone has the LED notification light still that you can customize with the Lightflow App?

Edit: I found the answer in another forum, it indeed still does have the LED light! No clue why I am excited about it, but missed having one since my old s3. It was VERY useful.

I deactivated the LED on my S6 Edge as it was simply too bright at night - and you can't "Do Not Disturb" it on a schedule.

But the S7 Edge LED is far more subtle, so I've loved having it again! Hopefully S8 LED is like the S7's.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I deactivated the LED on my S6 Edge as it was simply too bright at night - and you can't "Do Not Disturb" it on a schedule.

But the S7 Edge LED is far more subtle, so I've loved having it again! Hopefully S8 LED is like the S7's.

I found a video link on the forum I was on that for a split second showed the LED light blinking red. For some reason I really enjoy having the LED light notification. It was very useful when I had the s3.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

well that's disappointing to say the least. Honestly though I think the facial unlock is more a convenience feature vs. a lock tight security feature. It's why the placement of the fp sensor is awful. Even the demo had the people having to use two hands to use it. It'll no doubt lead to smudges on the camera lens.
[doublepost=1490967087][/doublepost]
Still have yet to preorder the S8. Its a real let down that they didn't improve the camera any.

I think you'll see dual cameras soon, may be why you didn't see any real improvements in the s8 rear sensor. Again, they'll do that and probably move that fp sensor and/or put it in the screen.

octoberdana

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
I'm going to be closely watching the later reviews of this phone to see how people like it over a longer use period. My other Galaxy phones started out with great battery life and ran smooth. After 9 months or so they started to slow way down and the battery life became abysmal. My Galaxy S6 that was only 1 year and 6 months old would run out of battery in 3 to 4 hours on standby. Samsung put a small battery in these phones for the size of the super powerful display. I really hope they figured out how to improve that long term.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm going to be closely watching the later reviews of this phone to see how people like it over a longer use period. My other Galaxy phones started out with great battery life and ran smooth. After 9 months or so they started to slow way down and the battery life became abysmal. My Galaxy S6 that was only 1 year and 6 months old would run out of battery in 3 to 4 hours on standby. Samsung put a small battery in these phones for the size of the super powerful display. I really hope they figured out how to improve that long term.
I had the exact opposite experience. My S7 edge was good when I first had it....then when it got Nougat the performance was actually better. Battery life improved too....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Another sign that Samsung is going to get better with updates? Can they prove once again that they're learning? I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it...

http://www.talkandroid.com/312577-samsung-galaxy-s8-software-android-7-nougat-7-1-coming/

Samsung’s Galaxy S8 and S8+ run Android 7.0 Nougat right now, but 7.1.1 is on the way

We spoke with a product expert at Samsung’s Unpacked event for the Galaxy S8 and S8+ launch who told Talk Android that Android 7.1.1 for these phones should be ready by the time they’re released. If true, it’ll either be pre-installed on all units or more likely available a software update upon activation by users.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

I think they made a point to say they're using higher quality batteries that supposedly will hold their charge longer over time. Most in here don't keep phones long enough to test this though lol. I think the capacity is considered slightly less than ideal for the display it has to power, hence the options to lower resolution. If you are planning on keeping this phone for a while, you could just wait a couple months, when these phones will inevitably drop in price significantly.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Are a lot of you switching from iPhone to the s8? I'm pondering switching from iPhone 7 plus to galaxy s8, but I like the ease of my Apple Watch. That's what is keeping me from switching.

In my experience, I'd recommend staying put, especially since Apple will probably win you back in September. My Apple Watch is my number 1 reason for not switching.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I had the exact opposite experience. My S7 edge was good when I first had it....then when it got Nougat the performance was actually better. Battery life improved too....
I have some faith as I've had a good experience with my S4 and S5. They always had decent battery life and I used them for about 6 months each. The same with the note 3 which I used for 6 months. Of course I had spare batteries which gave me added security. The only Samsung started off with good battery life and tanked was my original galaxy note. I had that thing for 16 months and it couldn't even last 8 hours in the end. However things have improved a lot since then.

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I don't understand. So is the back camera new or not? Looks like the answer is yes?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...ony-IMX333-and-Samsung-camera-sensors_id92623

Galaxy S8 and S8+ come with new Sony IMX333 and Samsung camera sensors

I give up :D

Can't keep up. I'll just wait a bit!!

In other news, I just got an email from Samsung and they are offering free device insurance for a year if I pre-order with them.

It's called Mobile Care Light. Here's the copy and paste:

What's included:
• 12 months cover for free (£50 excess applies)
• Accidental damage
• Up to 2 claims per year
• Accessory cover (on everything in the box)

Policy summary and T's & C's