Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
No, I actually went back to one I visited last night; which is off the palmetto and Bird Road.

Damn that's way too south haha. Normally, the Pines one and surrounding areas should have them as well when new Galaxies are announced?

octoberdana

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
It can't be any harder than the iPhone 7 plus. I have small hands and still manage to get around my 7 plus. I used the original galaxy note which although didn't have as a screen it was really cumbersome. I was able to use that just fine. I'm a female with small hands.
I don't use a 7 plus. I use regular 6s and I used Galaxy 4 & 6 before that.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
My car has had the same engine for years. It's also a car that I researched for ages that had a whole forum full of 500k+ original blocks.

If it works reliably, sometimes it's better to stick with it. I think Samsung might have done this to keep the price reasonable as they needed to win back quite a few people burned by the Note 7 fiasco, literally and figuratively.

They are probably working on a dual camera setup. Maybe on the next note. Lord knows it'd be better than that awful placement of the fp scanner on the s8.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Reactions: epicrayban

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Grace UX (I think that's what it is now) was super fluid and "grown up" looking. I tried to put the phone through a few paces, nothing could trip it up. Yes, it's obviously a new phone but you could tell this thing has been HANDLED all day. Not proof of anything but I'll take the omen. I do not love the FP scanner placement. This isn't a huge deal for me but not nothing: I use my phone for work and FP or higher is required. Camera seems excellent but garishly lit retail store so who knows yet.

Guys, I cannot emphasize enough how blown away I was by the form factor. We need to stop reflexively crapping on these things if they happen to omit an extra gb of RAM or use last year's AMAZING camera. This form factor is unlike anything we've seen. Pro or con Sammy's skin, they deserve kudos for making a hard core tech geek "wow" at something. Be excited for what this changes on smartphones moving forward.

Could not agree more. The S8 is incredible, and Samsung deserve a lot of credit. It's easy to pick faults in things but compare it to the iPhone/Pixel design - night and day.

Can't wait to pick one up in a few months!

Reactions: Demo Kit

CC117

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
If anyone gets a chance, could they take a photo of a iPhone 7+ next to the S8 (not plus)?

I'm going from a + to s8 so would like to see th size comparison. Please

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The S8 will feel snappy and fast in the beginning but with almost anything that's non-pure Android.... It will start slowing down a few months later and most likely requiring a factory reset.
It looks like I'll have to factory reset my year old iPad mini and my 3 month old iPhone 7 Plus (once the final release of iOS 10 is out) to smooth out some performance creases. So it goes, sometimes.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just shrugging and saying it is what it is.

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
If anyone gets a chance, could they take a photo of a iPhone 7+ next to the S8 (not plus)?

I'm going from a + to s8 so would like to see th size comparison. Please

I'm tempted to do this myself, only concern is the battery life. The idea of a large screen in a small body is very appealing though

Galaxy-S8-size-comparison-1-pre-launch.jpg

Reactions: M5RahuL

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Got a chance to play with the S8 and S8+ at BB. WOW what beautiful design and build. The software is soooo smoooth. Not a hiccup or slow down. It was every bit as smooth as my Pixel XL.
No false touches at all they have perfected the curves. It is not as pronounced as the S7 edge and really you don't even notice the curved edges when holding the S8.

My only con was the FPS....gonna take some getting used to the location.
I am right handed but pick up my phones with my left hand and use my right hand to touch the screen.
I had a hard time getting my fingers to find the FPS. Gonna have to switch hands as the FPS is easier to reach with my right hand. I hope the facial software really works.

Overall i am glad I preordered the S8+ Orchid Gray as that color is soo nice!

Here is my 7+ next to the S8+
2210b3dd9ed2d16c397e92385c46dd83.jpg
That's a BIG display! :eek: It's a big phone overall, to be even longer than an iSlab. :) My husband is going to love it. :D

I read over on Android Central someone posted how Samsung stated on their website that the S8+ will last 2 hours longer with video playback. I couldn't find that stat myself but did see where talk time is 4 hours more on the larger phone.

If I weren't planning to get a Note 8 (resistance is futile) I would possibly be rethinking my choice of the smaller S8. But Android Central has an article stating the S8 was the better choice for VR. And I do have my pockets to think about--I don't carry my larger phones in my pockets anymore after the glitchy loaner S7 burned my leg a few months ago, but sometimes I have to stick one in a pocket for a few minutes here and there while I carry groceries or something like that.

I guess my husband and I will find out the true differences and compromises when the phones get here. Either way I don't think I'll regret a choice that beautiful. :)

Reactions: Jetcat3 and jamezr

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm tempted to do this myself, only concern is the battery life. The idea of a large screen in a small body is very appealing though

Galaxy-S8-size-comparison-1-pre-launch.jpg

I believe the fine print says it's default at 1080, probably to save battery life. I imagine they'll be many who either don't change it or are not aware. At 1440 the battery capacities may be an issue. But better safe than sorry.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I believe the fine print says it's default at 1080, probably to save battery life. I imagine they'll be many who either don't change it or are not aware. At 1440 the battery capacities may be an issue. But better safe than sorry.

Since Nougat, the S7 Edge got defaulted to 1080 but you can change it up/down at anytime. It's a clever function.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
This function first came in the note 7 so I think it's more to do with saving battery life, not safety.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I've had the same thought and it does concern me. If battery life is a problem at the higher resolution it means that resolution is a useless feature. We'll see.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I've had the same thought and it does concern me. If battery life is a problem at the higher resolution it means that resolution is a useless feature. We'll see.
They had it on the note 7. I think it's just a way to optimise battery usage if you want to get more out of your battery. It's a software feature. It was ported to the S7/S7E after the note 7 debacle.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
One of the things that seems to be disappointing is how close Samsung have put the fingerprint sensor to the camera on the back of the S8, i don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

https://televisionmagnets.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/the-samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/

https://www.cnet.com/news/3-ways-the-samsung-galaxy-s8-let-us-down/
I don't think they thought it was a good idea. If I remember correctly their presentation of it was rather sheepish and said simply it's there because they had to make room for everything else. They don't after all, have a Steve Jobs railing at them to do the seemingly impossible. Alas, neither does Apple anymore. It will be interesting to see in the fall how Apple manages to implement the same bezel-less or near bezel-less concept.

Reactions: Jetcat3

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
They had it on the note 7. I think it's just a way to optimise battery usage if you want to get more out of your battery. It's a software feature. It was ported to the S7/S7E after the note 7 debacle.

I hope you're right. As of now my only concern with the S8+ is battery life.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't think they thought it was a good idea. If I remember correctly their presentation of it was rather sheepish and said simply it's there because they had to make room for everything else. They don't after all, have a Steve Jobs railing at them to do the seemingly impossible. Alas, neither does Apple anymore. It will be interesting to see in the fall how Apple manages to implement the same bezel-less or near bezel-less concept.

I think it will go one way or the other, either Apple will put the finer print scanner under the OLED screen or they simply won't remove the home button. It's usually why Apple tends to wait to do something. But yes it will be interesting to see what happens, i think they will do things differently from Samsung.

Reactions: 5105973

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I hope you're right. As of now my only concern with the S8+ is battery life.
I think because of the note 7 battery issue they are reluctant to put a larger capacity battery in these phone. However given that they have larger displays I think the battery life will take a hit so I think their solution is to have it set at 1080p knowing that most people won't change it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.