Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Folks, you really have to see the S8 in person to appreciate its beauty. It is stunning in person. I just spent a good 20 mins hands on with it at Best Buy. Unfortunately tethered by the security chord, but still got a great feel for the hardware and software...

The screen is 100% deserving of all the hype. This cannot be overstated: There's so much screen in so little phone. Talk about immersive. And it's so narrow that, for the most part, it's very usable one handed. The only challenge was reaching up to the notification shade, which involved a little shifting. I can confirm the waterfall effect is extremely minimal (especially when compared to the S7E). I got no false touches whatsoever using the device. Even better, that green effect is nearly imperceptible thanks to the smaller curvature. The screen is everything you imagined it would be. I will say, the S8+ felt way too tall for me. Clearly not meant for me, but also gorgeous as well.

And the overall build really is superb. The ergonomics, the seamless designs, the buttons felt great... just a well crafted and refined piece of technology. My only one gripe (and it's not new...) is the fingerprint location. It is hard to tell the difference between the FPS and the camera -- this will take some getting used to. Luckily, many impressions of face unlock have been positive. If face unlock really lives up to the hype, the S8 could usher in a new norm for how we unlock our devices. Speakers were also loud and clear, and I believe significantly louder than my S7E ever was, but that's something that's hard to truly gauge in a store.

Orchid Gray is really stunning in person. It's more gray than purple, and it appeared darker to me overall than in photos/renders. The black was a stunner, too, but the black is so deep and rich, you almost don't get any of the details of the S8. It felt like a void. Didn't get to see Arctic Silver.

The software deserves praise, too. For the first time, there is this butteriness to the entire OS -- not unlike iOS and Pixel software -- where the animations and transitions are not only fast, but smooth and natural. I predict TouchWiz on top of Nougat will be a lovely experience that, once again, marries features with speed and stability. The App switcher, which was sometimes an area of contention, felt incredibly smooth and responsive. And generally navigating around the OS was very fluid. Touch response, from what I could perceive, was terrific, too. Again, not unlike the Pixel experience. My only one gripe was with the app drawer; you can slide up to pull up your app drawer (just like the Pixel launcher) but then to go to the next page of apps, you have to swipe right/left. That's inconsistent to me. Also worth noting, for the first time ever, the TouchWiz default icons aren't grotesque. Of course, I plan to customize with Nova and icon packs anyway.

Samsung deserves our praise for the S8. It really is the whole package: stunning hardware and great software. Even from an early impression, you can tell the S8 is a natural and logical next step in the progression of the Galaxy S line. It really is the S7E and Note 7 refined, with a ridiculously gorgeous screen experience.

I still cannot believe how small this device feels in the hand. It's smaller than the S7 Edge. It's mind boggling when you first pick it up.

I sincerely hope that Samsung lives up to their promises in regards to safer battery QC and support. The fact that they are only implementing one SKU across all carriers/unlocked model is a great start and, I predict, is something that'll help them keep to their promise that they'll update the unlocked versions with monthly security updates. Hopefully the single SKU will help with Android version updates, too.

People are going to run out of excuses with Samsung. They are already the clear leader in hardware with only a few nitpicky issues; their software has, for the past couple of years, been consistently getting better and smoothed out; and they're making the right decisions on all the little things that matter, like security updates, having only a single SKU, less carrier branding/control, selling unlocked versions shortly after launch (quicker than Apple), no logo on the front of the device (it would have been truly criminal to get in the way of the beautiful screen), offering promos, keeping both models the same except for the obvious screen/battery (instead of hoarding features in only the larger model...), bumping up the onboard storage to 64GB, and other things I probably can't think of right now.

I'll be preordering the unlocked version from Best Buy May 9th.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Let's just get this part out the way:

Exynos 8895 S8 early Benchmark
f4f144caab01198aec230e3efcdd9cfa.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_with_exynos_8895_benchmarked-news-24283.php

Now that that part is done, am I the only one who is excited about the Samsung DeX!!?

I have for some strange reason been truly captured by phones that try bring a desktop experience, last year's HP Elite x3 had me watching endless reviews and my imagination running wild at how awesome it would be at some point in the future when my Smartphone can be plugged in on a dock and transform into my desktop PC.

The fact that they partnered with Microsoft to get the essential MS suit of apps is truly impressive. I would love to try and work on a work report on a S8+ that is plugged in to a monitor.

Engadget did a nice Hands-on of Samsung DeX

Reactions: 5105973

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
People are going to run out of excuses with Samsung. They are already the clear leader in hardware with only a few nitpicky issues; they're software has, for the past couple of years, been constantly getting better and smoothed out; and they're making the right decisions on all the other little things that matter, like security updates, having only a single SKU, less carrier branding/control, selling unlocked versions shortly after launch (quicker than Apple), no logo on the front of the device (it would have been truly criminal to get in the way of the beautiful screen), offering promos, keeping both models the same (instead of hording features in only the larger model...), and other things I probably can't think of right now.

I'll be preorder the unlocked version from Best Buy May 9th.

Well, Samsung have definitely improved from what they were a few years ago, but at least in my case they haven't improved as much as I thought when I got my S7 Edge. Things were just fine at first and updates were coming steadily. However, when Nougat was released in some regions they completely dropped the ball. In fact, now the S7 Edge is sitting with the January updates and it's almost April. That's unacceptable in my books, especially when security is concerned. The S8 does indeed look awesome, but right now I feel too burned and let down by their empty promises to invest in another Samsung flagship.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well, Samsung have definitely improved from what they were a few years ago, but at least in my case they haven't improved as much as I thought when I got my S7 Edge. Things were just fine at first and updates were coming steadily. However, when Nougat was released in some regions they completely dropped the ball. In fact, now the S7 Edge is sitting with the January updates and it's almost April. That's unacceptable in my books, especially when security is concerned. The S8 does indeed look awesome, but right now I feel too burned and let down by their empty promises to invest in another Samsung flagship.

Hopefully this is the next area they tackle. They've tackled hardware, they're tackling software, and their promise of security updates through a single SKU will hopefully mean they tackle support, too.

Your S7E is unlocked? If so, it should be updated to the March security patch. If it's a carrier branded one, I'm afraid you have to equally blame the carrier. As for Nougat, that's a failure on Samsung for sure. For me, personally, I don't care or worry much about Android updates. TouchWiz on the current Android version is already so feature-rich and usable that it's just not a dealbreaker. Like you, I care more about security updates.

Again, I would never argue against Samsung to get better at support. Hopefully, as with everything else, they show they can learn and improve.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Folks, you really have to see the S8 in person to appreciate its beauty. It is stunning in person. I just spent a good 20 mins hands on with it at Best Buy. Unfortunately tethered by the security chord, but still got a great feel for the hardware and software...

The screen is 100% deserving of all the hype. This cannot be understated: There's so much screen in so little phone. Talk about immersive. And it's so narrow that, for the most part, it's very usable one handed. The only challenge was reaching up to the notification shade, which involved a little shifting. I can confirm the waterfall effect is extremely minimal (especially when compared to the S7E). I got no false touches whatsoever using the device. Even better, that green effect is nearly imperceptible thanks to the smaller curvature. The screen is everything you imagined it would be. I will say, the S8+ felt way too tall for me. Clearly not meant for me, but also gorgeous as well.

And the overall build really is superb. The ergonomics, the seamless designs, the buttons felt great... just a well crafted and refined piece of technology. My only one gripe (and it's not new...) is the fingerprint location. It is hard to tell the difference between the FPS and the camera -- this will take some getting used to. Luckily, many impressions of face unlock have been positive. If face unlock really lives up to the hype, the S8 could usher in a new norm for how we unlock our devices. Speakers were also loud and clear, and I believe significantly louder than my S7E ever was, but that's something that's hard to truly gauge in a store.

Orchid Gray is really stunning in person. It's more gray than purple, and it appeared darker to me overall than in photos/renders. The black was a stunner, too, but the black is so deep and rich, you almost don't get any of the details of the S8. It felt like a void. Didn't get to see Arctic Silver.

The software deserves praise, too. For the first time, there is this butteriness to the entire OS -- not unlike iOS and Pixel software -- where the animations and transitions are not only fast, but smooth and natural. I predict TouchWiz on top of Nougat will be a lovely experience that, once again, marries features with speed and stability. The App switcher, which was sometimes an area of contention, felt incredibly smooth and responsive. And generally navigating around the OS was very fluid. Touch response, from what I could perceive, was terrific, too. Again, not unlike the Pixel experience. My only one gripe was with the app drawer; you can slide up to pull up your app drawer (just like the Pixel launcher) but then to go to the next page of apps, you have to swipe right/left. That's inconsistent to me. Also worth noting, for the first time ever, the TouchWiz default icons aren't grotesque. Of course, I plan to customize with Nova and icon packs anyway.

Samsung deserves our praise for the S8. It really is the whole package: stunning hardware and great software. Even from an early impression, you can tell the S8 is a natural and logical next step in the progression of the Galaxy S line. It really is the S7E and Note 7 refined, with a ridiculously gorgeous screen experience.

I still cannot believe how small this device feels in the hand. It's smaller than the S7 Edge. It's mind boggling when you first pick it up.

I sincerely hope that Samsung lives up to their promises in regards to safer battery QC and support. The fact that they are only implementing one SKU across all carriers/unlocked model is a great start and, I predict, is something that'll help them keep to their promise that they'll update the unlocked versions with monthly security updates. Hopefully the single SKU will help with Android version updates, too.

People are going to run out of excuses with Samsung. They are already the clear leader in hardware with only a few nitpicky issues; their software has, for the past couple of years, been consistently getting better and smoothed out; and they're making the right decisions on all the little things that matter, like security updates, having only a single SKU, less carrier branding/control, selling unlocked versions shortly after launch (quicker than Apple), no logo on the front of the device (it would have been truly criminal to get in the way of the beautiful screen), offering promos, keeping both models the same except for the obvious screen/battery (instead of hording features in only the larger model...), bumping up the onboard storage to 64GB, and other things I probably can't think of right now.

I'll be preordering the unlocked version from Best Buy May 9th.
I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for taking the time to do this write-up. :)

So are you telling me that S8 units are available to see at Best Buy locations right now? If so, I'm going to give the one in my town a call.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for taking the time to do this write-up. :)

So are you telling me that S8 units are available to see at Best Buy locations right now? If so, I'm going to give the one in my town a call.

I don't think all Best Buys -- some members here and at other forums have said they're not seeing units in their Best Buys. I took a chance today at my local Best Buy and they had them.

It was only 20 mins with it, but I walked away impressed by almost everything about the S8. I think we hold an incredibly high standard to Samsung devices. They deserve a lot of praise for what they're doing in and to this industry.

They are really the only OEM that actually listens to criticisms and then attempts to directly address them in the next phone. The S6 was a direct response to Samsung's poor hardware design choices and sloppy software. The S7E was then a direct response to the criticisms of the S6, putting back in microSD and waterproofing, and further refinements to software.

Now, the S8 looks to continue that trend with even more novel and beautiful technology. Hopefully they button up their battery QC and keep to their new software support promises. Having a single SKU is a great start. And it looks like they've finally grown a pair with their carrier relationships.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
do we know if the unlocked s8 is going to work with volte / wifi calling / hd calling on all applicable carriers?

looks like last years unlocked s7 was fairly neglected wrt updates. afaik it also lacked the above compatibilities ^

that's all the criticism I got though folks, it looks great.

I will never buy a phone that works with one carrier though and the unlocked version better have all the bells and whistles!

for example, the pixel does support advanced carrier features, but ATT blackballs it anyway, in that case I would give Samsung a pass.

still dreaming of an android phone that is truly universally compatible :-/

Reactions: tbayrgs

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Your S7E is unlocked? If so, it should be updated to the March security patch.

Unlocked. We had carrier locked models in Finland only briefly, but they went away as everyone hated that model and it didn't play well with consumer protection laws. However, Samsung is still dealing with totally unnecessary regional variants instead of carrier variants over here, so that's the most likely reason. It's just sad that they're ruining a good phone over something they could fix if they just wanted to.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I don't think all Best Buys -- some members here and at other forums have said they're not seeing units in their Best Buys. I took a chance today at my local Best Buy and they had them.

It was only 20 mins with it, but I walked away impressed by almost everything about the S8. I think we hold an incredibly high standard to Samsung devices. They deserve a lot of praise for what they're doing in and to this industry.

They are really the only OEM that actually listens to criticisms and then attempt to directly address them in the next phone. The S6 was a direct response to Samsung's poor hardware design choices and sloppy software. The S7E was then a direct response to the criticisms of the S6, putting back in microSD and waterproofing, and further refinements to software.

Now, the S8 looks to continue that trend with even more novel and beautiful technology. Hopefully they button up their battery QC and keep to their new software support promises. Having a single SKU is a great start. And it looks like they've finally grown a pair with their carrier relationships.
You have me itching to try an S8 right now. I just called the nearby Best Buy and the gal on the phone told me that they don't have any units available to look at. Darn!

I was surprised to find that the first thing I heard after placing the call was an automated advertisement for the S8. Ditto on Best Buy's website. The S8 is placed front and center at the top of the home page. Best Buy is ready for those preorders!

Reactions: epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So Samsung are using 2 different sensors - some are from Samsung themselves, and others are from Sony. That applies to both (Ross voice!) front and back.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/3...rs-for-the-galaxy-s8-and-s8-from-two-vendors/

My hunch is they will be using Sony sensors for the Snap 835, and Samsungs IN-CELL for the Exynos - but that's just a guess.

This was same with the S7/7e which makes sense given it's essentially same camera sensors. They won't be separated via chipset, it will be random just like the S7/7e now.

Reactions: JaySoul and PJM83

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
So Samsung are using 2 different sensors - some are from Samsung themselves, and others are from Sony. That applies to both (Ross voice!) front and back.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/3...rs-for-the-galaxy-s8-and-s8-from-two-vendors/

My hunch is they will be using Sony sensors for the Snap 835, and Samsungs IN-CELL for the Exynos - but that's just a guess.
Last year they really didn't have a pattern to it, my exonys s7e had a Sony sensor and my dad's has a Isocell.

Reactions: JaySoul and MRU

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
If this device is even better looking in person than online it should be selling like crazy. People will see this in person when their freinds ect have one and be like WOW!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Let's just get this part out the way:

Exynos 8895 S8 early Benchmark
f4f144caab01198aec230e3efcdd9cfa.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_with_exynos_8895_benchmarked-news-24283.php

Now that that part is done, am I the only one who is excited about the Samsung DeX!!?

I have for some strange reason been truly captured by phones that try bring a desktop experience, last year's HP Elite x3 had me watching endless reviews and my imagination running wild at how awesome it would be at some point in the future when my Smartphone can be plugged in on a dock and transform into my desktop PC.

The fact that they partnered with Microsoft to get the essential MS suit of apps is truly impressive. I would love to try and work on a work report on a S8+ that is plugged in to a monitor.

Engadget did a nice Hands-on of Samsung DeX
I've just become excited about Dex. I barely use my MacBook Air. I try to and do as much as possible on my phone because it's just more convenient and making my phone into a desktop just sounds amazing too me.
[doublepost=1490911357][/doublepost]More in depth demo of DeX

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ha! My husband came in and had a funny look when I mentioned my S8 preorder. He also preordered. His will be silver and a plus. Ha, I knew he would do this. I just guessed wrong on the color choice. I thought he would get black.

He kept saying he wasn't interested. He kind of made fun of me for popping up half asleep and one eyed shut to preorder. But I just knew if I got one he would copycat me. I know he's been intrigued by DeX. He told me last year that Apple would probably do something like this. This is what he was expecting for iPhone 8 in the fall. Only now this concept is just around the corner and it's from Samsung. There's no way I was going to get a concept device my husband was dreaming of, while he waits months for Apple to come out with it, if they do at all.

I knew he was going to preorder when I told him "Fine, don't get one, I will get one and a DeX and tell you all about it." Like waving a red cape in front of a bull. I am trouble that way. Pure trouble. I just hope and pray nothing explodes this time because I am the one who took a break from iOS to get a Note 7. Eve is suppose to tempt Adam with an Apple. I went off script a bit. ;)

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So.......I just played with them at Best Buy and big mistake, I'm going to have to hide credit cards for the foreseeable future 'cause damn those are some fine phones. I was shocked that the regular S8 was almost the same width as my iPhone 7 (it's just a hair wider), it is a bit taller though, don't mind that too much but it would take some getting used to. Really don't like the finger print sensor, I hate that position and didn't get to try out the other unlock methods (I'll just keep repeating this flaw to myself in hopes the urge to buy subsides). But the screens were gorgeous and I really like the new aspect ratio. Here are some comparison picks between my iPhone 7 (4.7") and S8.
e96a18038b0ca75b21adf887adb6cd0c.jpg
f09eb48f56eb5bb0b9f4241aa322a2e1.jpg
13a0436e50907f32fd4c24b94780fd1f.jpg
e54ebcf0df3810e72cecb23c9c9a8f0f.jpg

And here are some between my Note 5 and S8 Plus.
f0af4706afa0ff64fe71863301d2f6ec.jpg
23d8225565a0e38156d4d80a21b1fb72.jpg
7226bd0b5450163f5f891d5d483986df.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So.......I just played with them at Best Buy and big mistake, I'm going to have to hide credit cards for the foreseeable future 'cause damn those are some fine phones. I was shocked that the regular S8 was almost the same width as my iPhone 7 (it's just a hair wider), it is a bit taller though, don't mind that too much but it would take some getting used to. Really don't like the finger print sensor, I hate that position and didn't get to try out the other unlock methods (I'll just keep repeating this flaw to myself in hopes the urge to buy subsides). But the screens were gorgeous and I really like the new aspect ratio. Here are some comparison picks between my iPhone 7 (4.7") and S8.
e54ebcf0df3810e72cecb23c9c9a8f0f.jpg

And here are some between my Note 5 and S8 Plus.

Your Note 5 is still beautiful! What a lovely display on it.

Wow, so that's the S8 compared to an iPhone 7! That's awesome, I'm going to love that size! Thanks for these great comparison pictures.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I've just become excited about Dex. I barely use my MacBook Air. I try to and do as much as possible on my phone because it's just more convenient and making my phone into a desktop just sounds amazing too me.
[doublepost=1490911357][/doublepost]More in depth demo of DeX

It's going to be hard to resist buying DeX. And I haven't even thought about the Remote Desktop usage until I saw that video. :D

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Your Note 5 is still beautiful! What a lovely display on it.

Wow, so that's the S8 compared to an iPhone 7! That's awesome, I'm going to love that size! Thanks for these great comparison pictures.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked, it feels smaller than my S7 and almost as good as my iPhone 7, it's just a little tall but I think it would be easy to get used to.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah, I was pretty shocked, it feels smaller than my S7 and almost as good as my iPhone 7, it's just a little tall but I think it would be easy to get used to.
I absolutely can not wait to see this in person. Part of me can't believe I went against previous rants on this forum and preordered sight unseen.

A few months ago I was still feeling a little "burned" by my Note 7 experience (and dissatisfaction with one "lemony" loaner S7). It was my first time venturing into Android and my husband kept saying that I would not like it and iPhone was better for me, blah blah blah. I didn't care, I wanted to try this and it was great timing for me in most respects to make that leap.

I was turning 50 and our 20th wedding anniversary was also coming up, and there wasn't going to be any parties or many other gifts or anything special to mark the occasions due to time constraints, schedule conflicts, etc, so getting the Note 7 was my choice for the birthday...and thanks to the recall my time with new Note 7's ended up spanning the anniversary, too!

But of course if I was going to do it, so was he and well, we both loved the Note 7. He really loved that phone. So I felt really bad dragging him into heartbreak when the recalls happened not once but twice! I kind of had egg on my face. But no regrets, as I got into VR in a big way and he found things he loved about the Galaxy series. It was not his first Samsung phone and not his first Android experience by any means, but he had given them a break back when they were still rougher around the edges than the IPhone experience overall.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I really would like it unlocked and must resist for now.

That may not be easy though when I get a chance to check it out at BB and I feel I must have it ASAP. :)

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I just left BB and I must say it's a good looking device. I didn't stay long enough to really mess with the phone , but it seems like it flies.

Now I'm tempted.

Yeah, if your trying to save money or hold out until later in the year, then I highly recommend you don't check these phones out in person at least until the hype dies down and rumors for future phones start poping up because these are gorgeous and can easily break your will power.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and HiDEF
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.