Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-s8/buy/s/Summary

For all those buying through T-Mobile, might want to cancel your orders and go through Samsung. It's $650 right now and you can do 24 months of financing if you want the S8.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on their S8s soon, especially the T-Mobile crowd. I want to see how good the battery life is, how efficient the software is with RAM management, and if people can reply to texts from the lock screen. The last one about texting is something I miss from my iOS days.

Edit, only for Arctic Silver and T-Mobile.

I wonder why only for the Arctic Silver. =T

I also wonder when Samsung will make available unlocked units from their site. Best Buy is allowing preorders for unlocked versions May 9th -- will Samsung do the same, I wonder?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
i am thinking about going this route as well. i assume i can just put my verizon SIM in it and go.

Apparently there is only one SKU model in the USA (which is expected to help the update process. Certainly monthly security updates as Samsung has newly promised, but also hopefully Android version updates), so I believe you should be able to.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Question about the Bluetooth 5.0...

Does that improve the quality of current bluetooth devices? Like, will it get better range, etc. with my current Level U bluetooth earphones?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Do you happen to know if JoD allows you keep your current phone if you decide to return the S8?
If you order over the phone you can keep your old phone. Just don't turn it in and they will keep charging you every month.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Best Buy is Selling the Unlocked Galaxy S8 and S8+ on May 9
Won't have to wait too long for the unlocked model

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/29/unlocked-galaxy-s8-plus-best-buy-price/
I know. Sigh.

I wanted purple and all the extra goodies though. I even ponied up the extra $99 for the headphones and SD card. I can never have enough good SD cards bought on the cheap! For some reason my husband gets squirrelly when I buy SD cards. He always tries to talk me out of it or buys the smallest SD capacity even though we can darn well afford 64 GB easily. The same man who won't blink an eye at ordering a $900 phone decides we must economize on SD cards. I dunno. Anyway it was a great chance to get another 256 GB card on the cheap...plus another more Bluetooth headphone...that I can use on my iPhone. :p

I don't mind carrier bloat as much with 64 GB onboard storage. Besides, it's FB that I wanted nuked off the phone and that won't happen no matter who I pick.

It's the Note 8 I will likely try to buy unlocked. And I'm really set on getting a Note 8, too. If they offer two sizes of Note 8 I'm getting the biggest one.

I was tempted by the S8 Plus but I was thinking more PPI would help with the VR experience maybe a tiny bit and I'd be going big definitely on Note 8.

Reactions: jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
It shortcuts a lot of processes that might take multi touches to achieve. I used Siri to save me some steps on my iPhone. Like doing multi step fraction calculations so I could power through checking my kids summer homework without losing the entire day myself keying everything in by hand. Bixby is supposedly connected to Wolfram Alpha to do the same for me. I just am not sure what the point is of having to push a button AND then talk. I hope the feature is also keyword activated and I do hope I can specify the keyword because "Bixby" is a mouth musher.

There will always be one off use-cases. The amount of time, effort, and resources these companies spend on highlighting it as a feature don't equal the need, however. You alluded to some of the poor logic yourself: a dedicated *hardware button* to use a voice command app???

I've mostly not found that voice assistants save me time. I can fire off a text or place a call much faster interacting with a device than speaking to it. And that's when they work well. Siri is usually a dumpster fire. I don't even bother with it. Google Assistant is pretty good but doesn't offer me a compelling reason to use it over just tapping away.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm really excited about the potential of Bixby in the car.

When I was using the Pixel in my car, Google Assistant just wasn't on the money. And when I try Siri, forgetaboutit (Siri is terrible at accurate dictation).

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm really excited about the potential of Bixby in the car.

When I was using the Pixel in my car, Google Assistant just wasn't on the money. And when I try Siri, forgetaboutit (Siri is terrible at accurate dictation).
Siri used to work pretty well for me. I really can't understand what happened to make it work so awful for me most of the times I try to use it now. It's like it's gone hard of hearing and a tad bit senile. I tested and know it's not the mic pickup that's a problem, as Google Assistant hears me fine in Allo on my 7Plus.

It's very frustrating because I am, I guess, the rare person who did use verbal input fairly often until it degraded on Siri. My husband installed the latest public release of iOS 10 yesterday and said it's made the phone smoother overall. I'll install it today and see if Siri has been helped any, too.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Does that improve the quality of current bluetooth devices? Like, will it get better range, etc. with my current Level U bluetooth earphones?

Even if my current Level U earphones don't have Bluetooth 5.0?

That'd be great!

I admittedly haven't read much on the subject but IIRC, you'll need BT 5.0 compatible devices to be able to see the benefits of BT 5.0. Someone with more knowledge on the subject, please feel free to correct me and elaborate if possible.

Reactions: epicrayban

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

My understanding is yes, there should be an improvement.

It wouldn't be as significant as a Bluetooth 5.0 set of headphones with a Bluetooth 5.0 S8 - but the S8 should have better Bluetooth range, which in turn means my Bluetooth 4.1 headphones should have a stronger connection.

This time next year, though.... Woooooooweeeeeee! I've heard amazing things about Bluetooth 5.0 range. Can't wait.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong, though!)

Reactions: epicrayban

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My understanding is yes, there should be an improvement.

It wouldn't be as significant as a Bluetooth 5.0 set of headphones with a Bluetooth 5.0 S8 - but the S8 should have better Bluetooth range, which in turn means my Bluetooth 4.1 headphones should have a stronger connection.

This time next year, though.... Woooooooweeeeeee! I've heard amazing things about Bluetooth 5.0 range. Can't wait.

The increased range of wireless headphones is a huge deal. I'm not sure what voodoo magic Apple is using with the W1 chip and their new headphone/earphone hardware but the extended range I enjoy on both my AirPods and Beats Solo3 headphones, vs. my older BT headphones, is awesome. I can leave my phone in my house while i'm out in the yard. Having that benefit across all bluetooth devices will be such a welcome improvement.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
tempted to start a new contract with EE..never had them before but i plan on using two contracts my iPhone for my calls and texts then S8 plus for general notifications and media...hmmm

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My T-Mobile store offered me $126 to trade in my S7 for a S8 on JoD lmao. No way to that. No display models there or at Best Buy.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
My T-Mobile store offered me $126 to trade in my S7 for a S8 on JoD lmao. No way to that. No display models there or at Best Buy.

So, you're holding off? Currently on my JoD, I have the iP7+; Would they offer me anything for it if I'm still paying installments? I'm assuming no, but thought I'd ask anyways.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just remember EE are a pain in the hole for getting your device unlocked with.
was under the impression all phones are unlocked these days? i know with three when i sell my old devices it becomes unlocked and you can put a new sim in it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
was under the impression all phones are unlocked these days? i know with three when i sell my old devices it becomes unlocked and you can put a new sim in it.

EE are the most stringent when it comes to unlocking in the UK. The device will be locked to EE and you can only unlock after contract is over - so you would not be able to unlock until 24 months ....

If you buy it on PAYG you can request an unlock but not Pay Monthly (until contract is over)

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple...hone-or-device-The-EE-quick-guide/td-p/390753

Even if you purchase a phone from someone second hand - if that phone is not 6 months old, the person can not request an unlock until the device is 6 months or more old and has be 'activated' and used on the EE network for at least 6 months.

They are awful ......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.