Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

octoberdana

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Hmm I just switched to iPhone a few weeks ago and I was considering waiting for the Galaxy S8, as my last two phones have been Galaxy. However, reading the rumors I was afraid the phone would be too large for me. I was right and glad I made the decision I did. One thing about Galaxy phones they start off snappy with amazing battery life and then just get worse over time. I will be very interested in how the 8 performs over time. I also am interested in seeing if Bixby takes off.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Ordered Midnight Black S8+, VZW. Cause I have to.

I do find it funny some in the thread are bemoaning the phone not being a huge leap from last year. Duh. Guys, this is peak smartphone. There is only so much more to do with these things. What, did you need more RAM to take photos and post them to FB?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No caffeine. Just woke up and did this in my sleep, more or less. Regular sized S8 Orchid Gray with the $99 immersive bundle (wanted that SD card because I have no intention to stop using my current phone and removing its card.) Ordered the AT&T version from Samsung's site.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The $130 down is what's holding me back.
I called TMO last night and was ready to use JoD and the guy kept telling me it was $130 even for JoD and I didn;t believe him cause it was the overseas rep....who have out and out lied to me before.
Kinda defeats the purpose of JoD imho

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Was looking at Amazon Germany's pricing and the 64gb S8 is €799 and the 32gb LG G6 is €749.

Considering the extra storage and wireless charging, LG need to drop their price €50.

The S8 will also release on the 21st April whereas LG G6 is still ??

LG shooting themselves in the foot.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Was looking at Amazon Germany's pricing and the 64gb S8 is €799 and the 32gb LG G6 is €749.

Considering the extra storage and wireless charging, LG need to drop their price €50.

The S8 will also release on the 21st April whereas LG G6 is still ??

LG shooting themselves in the foot.
They already did when they took certain features away from the UK as well.

Anybody in the U.K. Pre ordered the S8 or S8 plus?

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No, it is actually a reasonable conclusion. Opinions are useless unless you can back it up with something that can be validated.
You missed the sarcasm ... Hey ho.

I don't get involved in these petty tit for tat squabbles between iOS and Android. I use both daily and find them much the same. Seems those so vehemently opposed or opinionated about 'the best (iOS V android, OEM V OEM ) need to get over it.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I do think Bixby is DOA. Smartphone OEMs need to understand that s voice assistant on an object we hold all the time isn't necessary.
I am starting to use Siri more on my iPhone because I find there are tasks which are faster via voice commands, like dictating a new message or making quick calculations. I think they definitely have a place on a smartphone.

Reactions: 5105973

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Bixby might have the edge on Google assistant when it comes to Samsung phones. I'll be using both to see how it goes.
That's because you get Bixby on your device at launch and don't live in a black hole country wise where there is no timeframe for it. Samsung are sealing Bixby's fate in many territories by not having it ready and no timeframe for implementation.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
They already did when they took certain features away from the UK as well.

Anybody in the U.K. Pre ordered the S8 or S8 plus?
Not yet but I'm gong to pre-order with O2. It's not coming out over here until the 28th and I won't miss out on the free speaker if I don't pre-order straight away.

I'm just holding out in case another colour becomes available via CPW or clove or somewhere as I'd rather have the blue or gold. Otherwise I'll get the grey. S8+ of course.

Are you pre-ordering?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
You being unable to pay attention to tech news says nothing about anything.

Actually, it shows how little coverage Windows Mobile gets these days. Now, let's not derail the topic on Windows Mobile since all that DeX is a version of Continuum for the Galaxy line.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not yet but I'm gong to pre-order with O2. It's not coming out over here until the 28th and I won't miss out on the free speaker if I don't pre-order straight away.

I'm just holding out in case another colour becomes available via CPW or clove or somewhere as I'd rather have the blue or gold. Otherwise I'll get the grey. S8+ of course.

Are you pre-ordering?

Think if you pre order you get it 20th April

I'm still on the fence at the moment in terms of wether to buy it or start a new contract. My current contract ends in July so it's wether I start a new contract with S8 plus and go sim only with my 7 plus

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Def getting a dex dock and moving away from my desktop. This little dock and the software behind it could potentially kill the Chromebook.

Absolutely zero chance of this happening. The type of customer that DeX appeals to would likely not be purchasing a Chromebook in the first place (and I'll argue a Chromebook might actually still serve them better--see my next paragraph). The great majority of Chromebook sales are to education---can't say I expect any schools to say 'skip the Chromebooks, let's get all the kids a Galaxy S8 phone, and then spend even more money on monitors, keyboards, and mice.' :rolleyes:

I watched the demo for DeX--does seem to be a pretty good implementation (so why exactly can't Chromebooks or Android tablets offer a similar experience if Samsung can do this?). However I still see this going absolutely nowhere. Great, I now have a more desktop friendly way to use my phone when I stop in my office--after I purchase an additional monitor, keyboard, and mouse. What exactly do I use though when I'm out doing business? Chances are those same users will still need a laptop when out mobile and this doesn't solve that problem (i'm not typing long documents, emails, putting together presentations, etc on my phone). So if they do have a laptop as well, why exactly would they use DeX in the office? There is a very niche target market for DeX.

If anything, a laptop styple shell that could accommodate my Galaxy S8 would be far more useful in today's world, though that's also been done and it didn't work then either.

Reactions: DaveOP and MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-s8/buy/s/Summary

For all those buying through T-Mobile, might want to cancel your orders and go through Samsung. It's $650 right now and you can do 24 months of financing if you want the S8.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on their S8s soon, especially the T-Mobile crowd. I want to see how good the battery life is, how efficient the software is with RAM management, and if people can reply to texts from the lock screen. The last one about texting is something I miss from my iOS days.

Edit, only for Arctic Silver and T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.