Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Absolutely zero chance of this happening. The type of customer that DeX appeals to would likely not be purchasing a Chromebook in the first place (and I'll argue a Chromebook might actually still serve them better--see my next paragraph). The great majority of Chromebook sales are to education---can't say I expect any schools to say 'skip the Chromebooks, let's get all the kids a Galaxy S8 phone, and then spend even more money on monitors, keyboards, and mice.' :rolleyes:

I watched the demo for DeX--does seem to be a pretty good implementation (so why exactly can't Chromebooks or Android tablets offer a similar experience if Samsung can do this?). However I still see this going absolutely nowhere. Great, I now have a more desktop friendly way to use my phone when I stop in my office--after I purchase an additional monitor, keyboard, and mouse. What exactly do I use though when I'm out doing business? Chances are those same users will still need a laptop when out mobile and this doesn't solve that problem (i'm not typing long documents, emails, putting together presentations, etc on my phone). So if they do have a laptop as well, why exactly would they use DeX in the office? There is a very niche target market for DeX.

If anything, a laptop styple shell that could accommodate my Galaxy S8 would be far more useful in today's world, though that's also been done and it didn't work then either.
Yep the person paying £200 for a Chromebook is not likely to be the same as person paying £679 + £89 for a Dex and + £ for a monitor and keyboard.

Likewise person carrying a Chromebook is unlikely to replace that with a physical monitor, Dex dock, keyboard, mouse and a little power generator just to keep them going whilst portable ...

The Two are very different solutions and practicalities let alone price.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I do think Bixby is DOA. Smartphone OEMs need to understand that s voice assistant on an object we hold all the time isn't necessary.
It shortcuts a lot of processes that might take multi touches to achieve. I used Siri to save me some steps on my iPhone. Like doing multi step fraction calculations so I could power through checking my kids summer homework without losing the entire day myself keying everything in by hand. Bixby is supposedly connected to Wolfram Alpha to do the same for me. I just am not sure what the point is of having to push a button AND then talk. I hope the feature is also keyword activated and I do hope I can specify the keyword because "Bixby" is a mouth musher.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Bixby might have the edge on Google assistant when it comes to Samsung phones. I'll be using both to see how it goes.

Like all assistants, I think their value increases the more you live in that particular ecosystem. Siri works alright for me as I'm heavily immersed in Apple yet I find Google's Assistant (and Now before it) to offer me the most useful information as I tend to use Google services far more than any other--my phone, my tablet, my laptop/desktop, my Android TV. Bixby might be quite good in the context of your Samsung phone but lacks the ubiquity of Google.

Granted, it may really flourish in a Samsung ecosystem if it starts to expand off the phone (their laptops, Smart Things, smart watches, etc)--time will tell if their is enough adoption and use to have it compete with what I see as a big data advantage that Google has.

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yep the person paying £200 for a Chromebook is not likely to be the same as person paying £679 + £89 for a Dex and + £ for a monitor and keyboard.

Likewise person carrying a Chromebook is unlikely to replace that with a physical monitor, Dex dock, keyboard, mouse and a little power generator just to keep them going whilst portable ...

The Two are very different solutions and practicalities let alone price.

Agreed. DeX seems more centric towards office productivity than simple personal use. There are more efficient ways to share data between a phone and a tablet or laptop than with DeX because of extra peripherals.

Anyways, Samsung has a great device on its hands. The specs are powerful enough to use a DeX efficiently, hopefully. It has IoT potential for certain segments. The camera should be top notch. Water resistance makes it great for vacation. Expandable storage is a solid offering for power users. The device has an amazing screen for viewing experiences using a more different aspect ratio.

Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Absolutely zero chance of this happening. The type of customer that DeX appeals to would likely not be purchasing a Chromebook in the first place (and I'll argue a Chromebook might actually still serve them better--see my next paragraph). The great majority of Chromebook sales are to education---can't say I expect any schools to say 'skip the Chromebooks, let's get all the kids a Galaxy S8 phone, and then spend even more money on monitors, keyboards, and mice.' :rolleyes:

I watched the demo for DeX--does seem to be a pretty good implementation (so why exactly can't Chromebooks or Android tablets offer a similar experience if Samsung can do this?). However I still see this going absolutely nowhere. Great, I now have a more desktop friendly way to use my phone when I stop in my office--after I purchase an additional monitor, keyboard, and mouse. What exactly do I use though when I'm out doing business? Chances are those same users will still need a laptop when out mobile and this doesn't solve that problem (i'm not typing long documents, emails, putting together presentations, etc on my phone). So if they do have a laptop as well, why exactly would they use DeX in the office? There is a very niche target market for DeX.

If anything, a laptop styple shell that could accommodate my Galaxy S8 would be far more useful in today's world, though that's also been done and it didn't work then either.
I'm telling you...this was before its time. But wasn't implemented very well.....
I had this setup once but there wasn't enough processing power in the phones at the time.
Then the lapdock served as a battery as well. They could have the ports to hook up to a separate monitor and keyboard just like a regular laptop would.

motorola-lapdock-atrix-4g-weptop-300x220.jpg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I found this article a pretty interesting read...

Samsung’s biggest challenge now is Google software, not Apple hardware

I tend to agree with the author in most regards...and it's also representative of why I also tend shy away from Samsung's phones, but that's my preference. However, if you are a Samsung fan, they're really starting to develop a robust ecosystem that's extending beyond the phone, something more 'sticky' that makes purchasing other Samsung hardware quite a bit for attractive and may ultimately, a la Apple's ecosystem, make it harder to leave---something Samsung has coveted for quite a while.

It's funny...Apple and Google have been, and will continue to be clear rivals, as have Samsung and Apple but it's becoming quite clear that Samsung and Google are becoming quite adversarial. If Samsung continues to migrate away from Google, Google may see some pretty significant impacts, considering in many people's eye, Samsung is Android.

Edit: Thinking a little bit more about it, I think Samsung would absolutely love to completely break away from Google and Android. Losing the Google Play Store is a huge obstacle but if Samsung could somehow find a way to overcome that aspect, I wouldn've be suprised to someday see their phones running Tizen and dumping Android altogether.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
on the samsung upgrade program it's £33 a month and you can upgrade to the next phone in a year's time. could be an option.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm telling you...this was before its time. But wasn't implemented very well.....
I had this setup once but there wasn't enough processing power in the phones at the time.
Then the lapdock served as a battery as well. They could have the ports to hook up to a separate monitor and keyboard just like a regular laptop would.

motorola-lapdock-atrix-4g-weptop-300x220.jpg

Something like this type of implementation could be pretty sweet (ignore that it's an Apple patent---it's the implementation that I find intriguing).

IMG_0107.PNG

Having your phone become the trackpad would be terrifc...and should mitigate any sort of hump or wierd form factor resulting from docking the phone elsewhere on the device.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I found this article a pretty interesting read...

Samsung’s biggest challenge now is Google software, not Apple hardware

I tend to agree with the author in most regards...and it's also representative of why I also tend shy away from Samsung's phones, but that's my preference. However, if you are a Samsung fan, they're really starting to develop a robust ecosystem that's extending beyond the phone, something more 'sticky' that makes purchasing other Samsung hardware quite a bit for attractive and may ultimately, a la Apple's ecosystem, make it harder to leave---something Samsung has coveted for quite a while.

It's funny...Apple and Google have been, and will continue to be clear rivals, as have Samsung and Apple but it's becoming quite clear that Samsung and Google are becoming quite adversarial. If Samsung continues to migrate away from Google, Google may see some pretty significant impacts, considering in many people's eye, Samsung is Android.
I was at my girlfriends work function. She is a child behavior psychologist for a school district. I was trying to explain to some non technical teachers and such the difference between my Pixel XL and the Samsung phones they all seem to have. Thye did not see the difference in the OSes. They all thought Samsung WAS Android....one school administrator asked me why Google with the Pixel copied Samsung and put Android on their phones :)
[doublepost=1490880678][/doublepost]
Something like this type of implementation could be pretty sweet (ignore that it's an Apple patent---it's the implementation that I find intriguing).

View attachment 694170

Having your phone become the trackpad would be terrifc...and should mitigate any sort of hump or wierd form factor resulting from docking the phone elsewhere on the device.
It is interesting! But how would you not move the phone when touching it? Would it be able to charge while using it?
I think this whole connecting/docking smartphones to laptops is a very untapped space.....

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I was at my girlfriends work function. She is a child behavior psychologist for a school district. I was trying to explain to some non technical teachers and such the difference between my Pixel XL and the Samsung phones they all seem to have. Thye did not see the difference in the OSes. They all thought Samsung WAS Android....one school administrator asked me why Google with the Pixel copied Samsung and put Android on their phones :)
[doublepost=1490880678][/doublepost]
It is interesting! But how would you not move the phone when touching it? Would it be able to charge while using it?
I think this whole connecting/docking smartphones to laptops is a very untapped space.....

Well, if it ever was implemented, I'm sure the phone would lock into place in some way. As far as charging, I'd wager the laptop 'shell' would charge via the same charging connection used my the phone, so if you were already carrying the charging cable for you're phone, you'd be all set. Even cooler would be if you could just position the entire laptop with the phone docked on top of a wireless charger imbedding in a table--don't some Starbucks have wireless charging built right into their tables?

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well, if it ever was implemented, I'm sure the phone would lock into place in some way. As far as charging, I'd wager the laptop 'shell' would charge via the same charging connection used my the phone, so if you were already carrying the charging cable for you're phone, you'd be all set. Even cooler would be if you could just position the entire laptop with the phone docked on top of a wireless charger imbedding in a table--don't some Starbucks have wireless charging built right into their tables?
I think IKEA builds furniture with wireless chargers in them so I'm sure they are out there.....

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Anybody in the U.K. Pre ordered the S8 or S8 plus?

Literally got one in my basket with CPW now but can't decide whether to or not.

If I do, it will be the S8 normal size, orchid grey.

Part of me is waiting for the BB Keyone (Please don't laugh at me, I like ma' PKB :p ) but the other half loves the look of this and wants to just get it and have done with it!

I'd have to eBay my 7 Plus to fund it as I think CPW want your money upfront for a sim free device so the real question in my mind is whether or not to eBay it tonight which basically seals the deal.

It's so pretty.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Part of me is waiting for the BB Keyone (Please don't laugh at me, I like ma' PKB ) but the other half loves the look of this and wants to just get it and have done with it!

I'd have to eBay my 7 Plus to fund it as I think CPW want your money upfront for a sim free device so the real question in my mind is whether or not to eBay it tonight which basically seals the deal.

It's so pretty.
The KeyOne does look an interesting device too.

Reactions: Aneres11

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I pre-ordered a Black S8+ from T-Mobile. Hoping I get it earlier than launch like I did in previous years! Does anyone know if this color is like the Black Onyx last year or more like the newer black pearl that was released in a few markets?

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The KeyOne does look an interesting device too.

Indeed it does, but the lack of any information from TCL is alarming and annoying.

The phone has been unveiled along with the price and specs and it was teased long before MWC yet here we are with no concrete release date.

Just 'in April'.

Well when?! The problem is, I'm not a BB die hard so I will look for other devices. I'm ready to move back to Android having enjoyed a 6 month stint with my 7 Plus (I'll move back to it for the 8), and there's a number of options on the table. Keyone was top of the agenda but I have no way to plan to buy it with the lack of info,

The S8 - well the info is all there and it's ready and waiting. Like a launch should be! :rolleyes: Damn BlackBerry.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
on the samsung upgrade program it's £33 a month and you can upgrade to the next phone in a year's time. could be an option.

I'll have to weigh up the options. The S8+ sim free was a lot cheaper than I was expecting. Sim free is also an option. My contract sim will stay in my iPhone even though my iPhone is sim free whatever I decide to do.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-s8/buy/s/Summary

For all those buying through T-Mobile, might want to cancel your orders and go through Samsung. It's $650 right now and you can do 24 months of financing if you want the S8.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on their S8s soon, especially the T-Mobile crowd. I want to see how good the battery life is, how efficient the software is with RAM management, and if people can reply to texts from the lock screen. The last one about texting is something I miss from my iOS days.

Edit, only for Arctic Silver and T-Mobile.
ordered one before they get sold out lol. Gonna wait for some review to see if I should keep or cancel my order. Just hope battery is better than my note 5.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I pre-ordered a Black S8+ from T-Mobile. Hoping I get it earlier than launch like I did in previous years! Does anyone know if this color is like the Black Onyx last year or more like the newer black pearl that was released in a few markets?
I prefer Matt black. I would get that over the orchid if it were Matt. This shiny black is too much for me.

Anyhow they all have a black front and with the size of the S8+ is going to have to go into a flip case like my notes did. A hot pink one.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Part of me is waiting for the BB Keyone (Please don't laugh at me, I like ma' PKB :p ) but the other half loves the look of this and wants to just get it and have done with it!

It's so pretty.
I would never laugh at a BB Keyone fan. I love the retro look of it. I was sorely tempted by it, too, but ultimately decided I was not the right customer for what it is offering. Not this time around anyway. Oh but it is gorgeous, it reminds me of a beautiful vintage camera.

Reactions: MRU and Aneres11

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I prefer Matt black. I would get that over the orchid if it were Matt. This shiny black is too much for me.

Anyhow they all have a black front and with the size of the S8+ is going to have to go into a flip case like my notes did. A hot pink one.
that's what I was thinking the front is black and I usually throw it in a case anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.