Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
tempted to start a new contract with EE..never had them before but i plan on using two contracts my iPhone for my calls and texts then S8 plus for general notifications and media...hmmm
That's sort of what I do. Well...my S7 and S7 Edges actually give me better more clear connections more often than my iPhones do. For reasons I don't know. So on the rare occasions I'll be on a long call, like to my parents, I use my Samsung or my HTC 10, which is also good.

I prefer the mail app that Samsungs have preloaded. So I split doing my emails between iPhone and Samsung, with the lions share done on Samsung. Texting goes to iPhones, easily. Media is actually a pleasure on my 7 Plus, too, surprise. So I split between them, but gaming is something I'm more prone to do on a Samsung because I get a lot of discounted hidden objects games from Amazon.

E-reading I like better on an LCD screen so most often I use my iPhone for that.

Using forums seems to go smoother on Samsung. It is definitely fun to switch back and forth between the two. Well for me it is. It might drive some people up a wall.

Reactions: The Game 161

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My understanding is yes, there should be an improvement.

It wouldn't be as significant as a Bluetooth 5.0 set of headphones with a Bluetooth 5.0 S8 - but the S8 should have better Bluetooth range, which in turn means my Bluetooth 4.1 headphones should have a stronger connection.

This time next year, though.... Woooooooweeeeeee! I've heard amazing things about Bluetooth 5.0 range. Can't wait.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong, though!)

My BT headphones work about 30' give or take a bit. So 4x the range....we are talking 120'+. This will be amazing!

Reactions: JaySoul

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
EE are the most stringent when it comes to unlocking in the UK. The device will be locked to EE and you can only unlock after contract is over - so you would not be able to unlock until 24 months ....

If you buy it on PAYG you can request an unlock but not Pay Monthly (until contract is over)

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple...hone-or-device-The-EE-quick-guide/td-p/390753

Even if you purchase a phone from someone second hand - if that phone is not 6 months old, the person can not request an unlock until the device is 6 months or more old and has be 'activated' and used on the EE network for at least 6 months.

They are awful ......
thanks for that, that has put me off so really would only be worth it if i did the upgrade after 12 months deal. think paying sim free seems my best shot right now.

tempted by the samsung upgrade program if i do it. Not quite decided wether just to stick with my 7 plus till september

Reactions: MRU

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I wonder if Samsung will stick with that horrible finger print scanner for several iterations, quite a goof along with not improving the image sensor on an otherwise stellar phone. Does this probably mean the Note 8 will keep the same senor?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I do think Bixby is DOA. Smartphone OEMs need to understand that s voice assistant on an object we hold all the time isn't necessary.
I'm not so sure this time. S-Voice and most of the Samsung duplicate apps have been complete clusterfu#@s, save for their internet app and Note based apps, but Bixby is different. Being integrated into the OS, the camera and whatever else means it will get used and app developers can build the API into their apps as well.

I could be wrong, but I do believe this may become a very useful feature and compete with Google's AI. I plan to try it extensively over the first month and see how well it works. If I'm wrong, I'll ditch it and go back to Google. No harm done.
[doublepost=1490890703][/doublepost]
I wonder if Samsung will stick with that horrible finger print scanner for several iterations, quite a goof along with not improving the image sensor on an otherwise stellar phone. Does this probably mean the Note 8 will keep the same senor?
This is a one off. The Note 8 will have the fingerprint reader under the glass and home button.
[doublepost=1490890810][/doublepost]
My BT headphones work about 30' give or take a bit. So 4x the range....we are talking 120'+. This will be amazing!
90 feet is the full range of BT5.

octoberdana

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Having just watched some of the videos out, I'm not a fan of the bezel less phone. The screen is an awkward shape, and it looks like it would be really hard to reach the top of the phone. I have smaller hands so I hope that this isn't the trend that all phones move toward.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
It's the Note 8 I will likely try to buy unlocked. And I'm really set on getting a Note 8, too. If they offer two sizes of Note 8 I'm getting the biggest one.

I was tempted by the S8 Plus but I was thinking more PPI would help with the VR experience maybe a tiny bit and I'd be going big definitely on Note 8.

Yeah, for the S8, I'm fine with the smaller phone. However, for the Note 8, if they offer different sizes, I'll go for the largest, as well.

Reactions: 5105973

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Having just watched some of the videos out, I'm not a fan of the bezel less phone. The screen is an awkward shape, and it looks like it would be really hard to reach the top of the phone. I have smaller hands so I hope that this isn't the trend that all phones move toward.
It can't be any harder than the iPhone 7 plus. I have small hands and still manage to get around my 7 plus. I used the original galaxy note which although didn't have as a screen it was really cumbersome. I was able to use that just fine. I'm a female with small hands.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I saw that too......but all of the software you can install yourself. So what is different unless they are unlocked or Office is free or discounted

Microsoft says these S8s will be available in AT&T and Verizon versions. Nothing is different from the carrier versions other than these will automatically download additional MS software upon connecting to WiFi.

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So did you guys go with S8 or S8+. I pre-ordered the + but am having 2nd thoughts about just going with the regular.
Regular 8. I was thinking the higher ppi might give it a teeny tiny advantage in VR. I thought it did between my S7 and S7 Edge. Very teeny. But every little bit helps. Also I was thinking of my pockets. The + is even taller than my 7 Plus. :eek::eek::eek: Wow.

But I think it's natural for people to be undecided. The + has a bigger battery and the screen real estate is just unreal. I think of that and get hit with a little bit of second thoughts myself. :confused:

I'm planning on getting the Note 8 which I hope will be available in a large variant or just large overall if it's to be one size only.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Bleh, none of the BB's around me have demo models, but their tables were bare and stripped of phones in preparation for the S8 units. I may rein myself in and wait for the unlocked version, or at least until I can fondle one in person if they aren't sold out by then.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
What sucks for me is that I really like Samsung phones for about a month, but then I get sick of OS and miss how iOS works. I wish I could just rent one for a few weeks so I could at least play with it and then go back without spending a **** ton of money and then trying to sell it.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
So, you're holding off? Currently on my JoD, I have the iP7+; Would they offer me anything for it if I'm still paying installments? I'm assuming no, but thought I'd ask anyways.

JoD requires you to turn over the phone you're using and pay for the new phone unless you have a free line to go with. They would offer you a crap rate via trade in any ways. I am holding off because I need that deal for the free upgrade to make it worth my while since the S8 doesn't do anything that much different than my phone I use on a daily basis.

Reactions: HiDEF

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Holding off on the S8/S8+ purchase for now.. Played with the LG G6 yesterday and damn it's good!.. Only thing holding me back from the G6 is the lack of a hifi dac (included in the European model) ..

Plus, TMobile asking for $130 down (S8+ model) + $25 Sim card fee ( major BS fee!! ) for Jump on Demand with stellar credit is simply.. unacceptable to me!

I'm also looking at the LG V20 as an option for that great audio (imp for me)

So, sticking with my S7 / iP7+ / Note 5 combo for now..

Reactions: HiDEF

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Holding off on the S8/S8+ purchase for now.. Played with the LG G6 yesterday and damn it's good!.. Only thing holding me back from the G6 is the lack of a hifi dac (included in the European model) ..

Plus, TMobile asking for $130 down (S8+ model) + $25 Sim card fee ( major BS fee!! ) for Jump on Demand with stellar credit is simply.. unacceptable to me!

I'm also looking at the LG V20 as an option for that great audio (imp for me)

So, sticking with my S7 / iP7+ / Note 5 combo for now..
I've done plenty of JOD upgrades and the cost has never included the $25 upgrade charge. Just pay the taxes up front for 18 months. What sucks about JoD is getting taxed a second time if you choose to pay it off at the end of the lease.
[doublepost=1490899222][/doublepost]
I've done plenty of JOD upgrades and the cost has never included the $25 upgrade charge. Just pay the taxes up front for 18 months. What sucks about JoD is getting taxed a second time if you choose to pay it off at the end of the lease.

P.S. Always upgrade via the Internet. Never in store.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I preordered a black S8 at Best Buy today. There weren't any on display, but I was told they would be on display within a few hours.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
tempted to start a new contract with EE..never had them before but i plan on using two contracts my iPhone for my calls and texts then S8 plus for general notifications and media...hmmm

In the words of Drake:

"Noooooooo, don't do it... Please don't do it......."

EE like @MRU said will try to lock you in. Three sell unlocked handsets now, their entire range.

Reactions: MRU and HiDEF

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
In the words of Drake:

"Noooooooo, don't do it... Please don't do it......."

EE like @MRU said will try to lock you in. Three sell unlocked handsets now, their entire range.
I've decided to avoid my temption and stick with my apple devices and admire the S8/S8 plus from a far. I'm too locked into with IOS and what it does for my daily life.

That said I will continue to check out youtube reviews and everybody's thoughts on their phones here. Still a big fan of samsung and android for sure but IOS is my choice and I would struggle using both platforms currently. Maybe in several months if the price drops I would look into it again

can't spend 780 on a phone when i'm planning to get the iphone 8 in september. I want to go sim only going forward and resell value on iphones is the only way i could make that work.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I've decided to avoid my temption and stick with my apple devices and admire the S8/S8 plus from a far. I'm too locked into with IOS and what it does for my daily life.

That said I will continue to check out youtube reviews and everybody's thoughts on their phones here. Still a big fan of samsung and android for sure but IOS is my choice and I would struggle using both platforms currently. Maybe in several months if the price drops I would look into it again

can't spend 780 on a phone when i'm planning to get the iphone 8 in september. I want to go sim only going forward and resell value on iphones is the only way i could make that work.

What did it for me was the Apple Watch. Switching to Samsung, even if temporary would then make my Apple Watch, which I love dearly, pointless to have.

Like I said a few posts above. I wish I could rent the phone for a couple of weeks just for kicks.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What did it for me was the Apple Watch. Switching to Samsung, even if temporary would then make my Apple Watch, which I love dearly, pointless to have.

Like I said a few posts above. I wish I could rent the phone for a couple of weeks just for kicks.
Shame the rumours of using the S8 and being able to return it after 3 months wasn’t true. That would have been ideal for yourself. Yeah apple watch is part of my daily routine and with the air pods it’s important for the gym.

Reactions: mjschabow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.