Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So.......I just played with them at Best Buy and big mistake, I'm going to have to hide credit cards for the foreseeable future 'cause damn those are some fine phones. I was shocked that the regular S8 was almost the same width as my iPhone 7 (it's just a hair wider), it is a bit taller though, don't mind that too much but it would take some getting used to. Really don't like the finger print sensor, I hate that position and didn't get to try out the other unlock methods (I'll just keep repeating this flaw to myself in hopes the urge to buy subsides). But the screens were gorgeous and I really like the new aspect ratio. Here are some comparison picks between my iPhone 7 (4.7") and S8.
e96a18038b0ca75b21adf887adb6cd0c.jpg
f09eb48f56eb5bb0b9f4241aa322a2e1.jpg
13a0436e50907f32fd4c24b94780fd1f.jpg
e54ebcf0df3810e72cecb23c9c9a8f0f.jpg

And here are some between my Note 5 and S8 Plus.
f0af4706afa0ff64fe71863301d2f6ec.jpg
23d8225565a0e38156d4d80a21b1fb72.jpg
7226bd0b5450163f5f891d5d483986df.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I am glad I went with the S8+ because it should be the same size as my 7+.
Did you get any false touches?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
My dream:
Samsung phone with an OS optimized around the Exynos with everything possible from their own factories (cameras, memory, storage). Maybe even a browser that's full WebKit instead of a wrapper around Chrome.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Guys! These phones are nuts haha. Amen to so many of the previous comments on here!

I had the chance to play around with 4 different S8 and S8+ phones for about 30 minutes today at Best Buy. All three colors are very pretty, but Midnight Black is my favorite. Orchid Grey being second.

The best part about my trip to Best Buy today? They were completely naked and just about to become demo models. First impressions from an iOS fanatic, wowzers! Nothing can substitute for firsthand experience with these beauties. They are SO much smaller than they have looked in photos and videos. I still can't get over how small the S8 is. Even the S8+ felt so much more manageable than my 7+ because of the 5mm reduction in width. It's a lot easier to grip. But the S8 is my dream phone. No offense to any android lovers, but if this thing ran iOS 10.3 paired with an A10 and 3GB of ram, I think I'd die haha.

With that said, the software seems much improved and very responsive. Samsung has nailed these out of the park in my opinion. I was literally blown away today. I'm so tempted to sell my Jet Black 7+ now for an S8! The S8 stole the show for me because it felt exactly like holding my wife's iPhone 7. Holding them side by side was quite comical!

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Dumb reasoning. The engine on the last model of a (insert car here) was great, no need to keep inproving

My car has had the same engine for years. It's also a car that I researched for ages that had a whole forum full of 500k+ original blocks.

If it works reliably, sometimes it's better to stick with it. I think Samsung might have done this to keep the price reasonable as they needed to win back quite a few people burned by the Note 7 fiasco, literally and figuratively.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Something like this type of implementation could be pretty sweet (ignore that it's an Apple patent---it's the implementation that I find intriguing).

View attachment 694170

Having your phone become the trackpad would be terrifc...and should mitigate any sort of hump or wierd form factor resulting from docking the phone elsewhere on the device.
Funny I was very interested in modular design some 10 years back and did a photoshop image displaying something very similar along with plug and play for CPU upgrades etc

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I recently played around with the S7E. The one thing I found is that the app quality is catching up to iOS but still not quite there. Th Mario Run release coming months after iOS is embarrassing too. It's too bad because this device looks so awesome but every time I'm on android I just end up missing iOS so bad.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I recently played around with the S7E. The one thing I found is that the app quality is catching up to iOS but still not quite there. Th Mario Run release coming months after iOS is embarrassing too. It's too bad because this device looks so awesome but every time I'm on android I just end up missing iOS so bad.
Yes unfortunately that happens. At least they did something so Pokémon Go doesn't seem to lag on the S7 anymore like it used to.

I found some Ringke clear cases and other Ringke cases on Slickdeals so I was able to get one of their clear $11.99 cases for about $3.96. This will tide me over until I can decide on which Samsung case I want.

Here is the link to their promo codes which you then enter when you check out via Amazon. https://slickdeals.net/coupons/amazon/

There are some iPhone cases there, too. I have a Ringke case on my S7. Some of their cases are really very good, some are average. I have quite a lot of them for my various phones. I had some really nice ones for my Note 7. Thank goodness for Slickdeals or I would have taken a bath on the cost of cases had I paid full price. Fortunately none were over $4.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I just left BB and I must say it's a good looking device. I didn't stay long enough to really mess with the phone , but it seems like it flies.

Now I'm tempted.

Was it the Miami Beach location like I said?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just because I can...

IMG_0311.JPG

I have different cat and dog ones on my HTC 10 and iPads. I hadn't thought to get one for the Samsungs because the headphone jack is on the bottom, but ninja kitty goes wherever ninja kitty wants! For home use only...I don't want these breaking off in my pocket. I started getting these to celebrate the continued presence of the headphone jack on some of my devices.

Reactions: mel823

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For the ones got to play with the S8. How is the software?

Also, did you test the speaker? Many reports are saying the speaker is very much improved.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Also, did you test the speaker? Many reports are saying the speaker is very much improved.
It felt pretty fast and fluid, of course it was also bare bones and not connected to the internet, but I don't think performance will be an issue. I like some of the design evolution from what's on my S7, it feels really modern.

The speaker is definitely improved and louder than my S7, but it's not as good as the speakers on my iPhone, and it's also easy to cover since it's on the bottom.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Grace UX (I think that's what it is now) was super fluid and "grown up" looking. I tried to put the phone through a few paces, nothing could trip it up. Yes, it's obviously a new phone but you could tell this thing has been HANDLED all day. Not proof of anything but I'll take the omen. I do not love the FP scanner placement. This isn't a huge deal for me but not nothing: I use my phone for work and FP or higher is required. Camera seems excellent but garishly lit retail store so who knows yet.

Guys, I cannot emphasize enough how blown away I was by the form factor. We need to stop reflexively crapping on these things if they happen to omit an extra gb of RAM or use last year's AMAZING camera. This form factor is unlike anything we've seen. Pro or con Sammy's skin, they deserve kudos for making a hard core tech geek "wow" at something. Be excited for what this changes on smartphones moving forward.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Ugh. I've spent the last few hours trying to justify making the switch. Just can't do it due to the following:

- better iOS integration with my car stereo

- much better messaging system

- rich notifications

- Apple Watch

- better battery - assuming there aren't any great advancements from Samsung here.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

If you missed it, I did a semi-lengthy write up on page 81, first post on that page. I discuss software and speaker.

In short, terrific and indeed improved.
[doublepost=1490930619][/doublepost]
Not in the limited time I played with it, about 15-20 min. But the false touches were greatly reduced with the Note 7, so I would assume it should be even better here.

I got no false touches (no palm touches).

I think this is not only due to the minimized curvature, it's also the fact that the phone is shockingly narrow, making it relatively easy to reach across the screen.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
The S8 will feel snappy and fast in the beginning but with almost anything that's non-pure Android.... It will start slowing down a few months later and most likely requiring a factory reset.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Got a chance to play with the S8 and S8+ at BB. WOW what beautiful design and build. The software is soooo smoooth. Not a hiccup or slow down. It was every bit as smooth as my Pixel XL.
No false touches at all they have perfected the curves. It is not as pronounced as the S7 edge and really you don't even notice the curved edges when holding the S8.

My only con was the FPS....gonna take some getting used to the location.
I am right handed but pick up my phones with my left hand and use my right hand to touch the screen.
I had a hard time getting my fingers to find the FPS. Gonna have to switch hands as the FPS is easier to reach with my right hand. I hope the facial software really works.

Overall i am glad I preordered the S8+ Orchid Gray as that color is soo nice!

Here is my 7+ next to the S8+
2210b3dd9ed2d16c397e92385c46dd83.jpg

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Got a chance to play with the S8 and S8+ at BB. WOW what beautiful design and build. The software is soooo smoooth. Not a hiccup or slow down. It was every bit as smooth as my Pixel XL.
No false touches at all they have perfected the curves. It is not as pronounced as the S7 edge and really you don't even notice the curved edges when holding the S8.

My only con was the FPS....gonna take some getting used to the location.
I am right handed but pick up my phones with my left hand and use my right hand to touch the screen.
I had a hard time getting my fingers to find the FPS. Gonna have to switch hands as the FPS is easier to reach with my right hand. I hope the facial software really works.

Overall i am glad I preordered the S8+ Orchid Gray as that color is soo nice!

Here is my 7+ next to the S8+
2210b3dd9ed2d16c397e92385c46dd83.jpg

I can't tell from your photo. Just curious, which phone has the better black?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.