Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
You are missing the point.

If you wanted a phone the size of the S7, you now only have a choice for something akin to the S7e and other 5.5" phablets, which for a lot of people was that bit too big.

I downsized all my phones last year and feel better for it, yet Samsung have now abandoned me, (doubly abandoned if you preferred a flat screen too) and are forcing phablets dimensions on us if we wanted to get an S8, regardless of how much extra screen they have crammed into the body.

For many folks, this will be a problem if they prefer 5" devices dimension wise .

I've recently downsized too, going from 7 Plus and Note 5 to regular 7 and flat S7 and am generally happy too, doesn't feel like a choir carrying around my handsets anymore and I feel the iPhone 7 might be the perfect physical size. While I do at times miss the larger screen, I feel I'm over just having a larger display unless there's additional functionality associated with it (such as the spen).

Looking forward to the Note 8 and iPhone 8 later this year.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I didn't plan to preorder but I want all the freebies and bundled stuff. So...what to do. I don't know what size to get. When summer vacation starts I'll pop the sim from my iPhone 7 Plus into my iPhone SE, my "summer phone". I like smaller phones in general and if it were my only phone the smaller S8 would be a no brainer. But given what I already have and how I can map out my use cases, big might be the way to go. Whatever, it's gonna be purple.

I'm probably going to get DeX to annoy my husband. I'm not going to explain that right now. We have this rivalry thing going...

Edit to add I'm not making any decisions right this minute. I have the flu and am running a fever. My husband asked me earlier why I wanted an S8 and any articulate words I might have had after a day of reading about it fell out of my head and all I could say was "It's purple." Sigh.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If that's the case, that goes to show how irrelevant Windows Mobile is/was because I thought Microsoft stopped working with the Lumia and shutdown their future updates with Windows Mobile. Rumors are that they might make a Surface phone though.
[doublepost=1490844898][/doublepost]

If you like Coral Blue, wait for it to come into play if you don't like in Europe. Though I am not a fan of companies releasing new colors 6 months later to just generate some more hype. Looking at you, Apple and Samsung.

You being unable to pay attention to tech news says nothing about anything.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The Dex dock looks interesting to me too. I wonder if you have full keyboard and mouse functions. Like right click and keyboard shortcuts.
From the demo it appeared to be the case, but hard to really tell. I'm hoping the Dex station is included in my training on Sunday to find out for sure.
[doublepost=1490853366][/doublepost]
Just Pre Ordered the Midnight Black S8 Plus from T-Mobile. :D
Just preordered the midnight black S8 from T-Mobile. I prefer the smaller form factor and 5.8" screen is big enough for me. Congrats on your purchase. If T-Mobile holds true to past releases, it should be on our doorsteps the week prior to the 21st. I love T-Mobile for doing stuff like that.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
What's with the excessively tall screen and >2:1 aspect ratio? That is just going to be one terrible reading experience. But at least there will be the ultra-tall vertical videos to look at on YouTube.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
What's with the excessively tall screen and >2:1 aspect ratio? That is just going to be one terrible reading experience. But at least there will be the ultra-tall vertical videos to look at on YouTube.
I think the reading experience will be better, you have less scrolling to do, plus it gives you more space for multi window. As long as the devices don't get too much taller I like it.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Well, I surprised myself and went with the 5.8 version in Orchid Grey. I'm sure the 6.2 is awesome, but 5.8 is a pretty big screen size. Also, that's the only difference between the phones. Oh, I'm with T-mobile. Can't wait to watch MLB.com (like last year, I get a free year with Tmo) on my new S8.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wonder how long it will take for someone to rip the live wallpapers and put the APK out ?

The new infinity wallpapers look nice.

Last edited:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S9 to include built-in periscope.

It looks like apple and Samsung may have switch strategies.
2fd7dfddece7845b48982392553917df.jpg

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Drooling over the return of the Smart Dock which first appeared for the Galaxy Note 2 and now called DeX (Desktop Experience). With Nougat native resizable multiwindow support and enhancements it'll be a truer PC replacement.

Smart Dock (2012)

DeX (2017)

Wow, that's awesome. Amusingly enough I watched the 2012 video first, not realizing it was from 2012, and thought how advanced Samsung was in 2017. It really reminds me what a forward thinking company Samsung is. They leapfrogged Microsoft's continuum easily, AND they even have Microsoft collaborating with them to make their apps work on there. VERY cool, I hope to see it wireless in the near future. I'm curious how games will run on my 4k monitors. Multi window support, mouse keyboard, etc.

I must say I went from not wanting one, to now seriously considering pre ordering one. Gotta go look to see what kind of deals are out there.
[doublepost=1490866010][/doublepost]
It probably won't get O sooner, if it's anything like the S7. Looks like the carriers did a good job compared to Samsung.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/2...s-received-marchs-security-patch-isnt-nougat/

Yeah that's still a good 8 months after Nougat officially released, sigh. That's still my main gripe with Samsung, I'll be happy until August which is around when Google will probably release Oreo, then I'll be bummed for 8 months. It's sad that the carriers actually got their updates in before Samsung.
[doublepost=1490867025][/doublepost]Ok I can't resist, I'm going to preorder one. I'd prefer to run out to BB and do it there, but I'm afraid preorders will run out. Also my local BB sucks and they never get any demos until weeks after everyone else. How have you guys found BB preorders? I've found them slow in the past so I'm tempted to go straight through Verizon, but BB does have the $100 off.

I figure I can use the S8 for a bit and I can sit back and see how the ip8 and note 8 pan out. I don't mind taking the hit on resale.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just preordered the midnight black S8 from T-Mobile. I prefer the smaller form factor and 5.8" screen is big enough for me. Congrats on your purchase. If T-Mobile holds true to past releases, it should be on our doorsteps the week prior to the 21st. I love T-Mobile for doing stuff like that.

I thought about going for the regular S8 myself, but the extra 15% battery life swayed me to go for the Plus. At the moment, I'm using the 7 Plus and V20. The S8 Plus is basically the same size as both, so I'll be used to the overall size. If the screen itself proves to be too difficult for one, I can always swap out for the smaller S8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.