Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Reactions: Demo Kit

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I agree with you generally except regarding the heart rate sensor. Even for your father, whilst it may offer him some placebo effect of re-assurance, its usefulness even for those with heart conditions and i speak as someone who has been on heart medication for years is not really advantageous. If you have had any heart disease or attack you should be on medication for the rest of your life and even if you are reading normal heart signal, that alone is actually not indicative of your chances of a further attack.

As i actively monitor my heart rate using a proper chest band each day whilst exercising and from a fit bit blaze everyday I know that based on readouts and tracking they are calibrated very accurately and are far more accurate than any heart rate result i have got from my S5 onwards (S6e, S6e+, Note 4, Note 5, S7e, S7e+ ) which are a one shot readout rather than continuous which in itself is flawed as it provides only snapshots of data and not continuous ....

There is a reason why they strap people to an ECG machine and do it over a period of time rather than for 3 seconds for a 'single' baseline reading..

The heart rate sensor on the Samsung phones are provided flawed inaccurate & placebo fake re-assurance rather than genuine useful data and read out accuracy ...

We will have to agree to disagree for now (I need sleep!).

Yes, of course continuous chest band monitoring with the best equipment is preferable, but if you're talking about the level of accuracy the S7 has, it's generally considered incredibly good as a snapshot. It's FDA approved, many of my friends are doctors and they are shocked by the accuracy, and I did quite a bit of research into this a few months ago.

You're right about the nature of monitoring, and different people have different experiences with any equipment. But the Fitbit Blaze (I had one for 6 months or so) was nowhere near as accurate as the S7 or S6 sensor. Now obviously it's a slightly artificial way of measuring - to literally stop what you're doing and put your finger on the phone as opposed to continual or automatic hourly monitoring. However, any form of monitoring needs an element of bias included because even an ECG will provoke a considered response from the subject who knows they are being watched.

But if you're simply talking about the accuracy, the Samsung does an excellent job. And snapshots can still be very useful, especially as smartwatches/fitness trackers basically give BPM and even that tends to be variable. And I could do that by placing a couple of fingers on my Dad's wrist! :D

It's an interesting topic, anyway.

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Anyone thinking of getting the unlocked one from Best Buy? Verge confirmed that Best Buy would take preorders may 9th.

That beats apple's own unlocked availability window (which was about a month after release).

Logoless.
No carrier bloat ware.
Samsung committed to monthly security updates.
Slightly cheaper than the carrier prices. ($725 for thre s8 and $825 for the plus).

Decisions...

Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Anyone thinking of getting the unlocked one from Best Buy? Verge confirmed that Best Buy would take preorders may 9th.

That beats apple's own unlocked availability window (which was about a month after release).

Logoless.
No carrier bloat ware.
Slightly cheaper than the carrier prices. ($725 for thre s8 and $825 for the plus).

Decisions...

No JoD or trade in promos. I rather get the promos along with pre-order bonuses if possible. Unlike iPhones, you need to pay attention to the review on the S8/S8+ because battery life is a huge question mark because of the safety issues.

Reactions: epicrayban

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I would love to have a flat display model as well.
But I do intend to JoD to the S8. Just haven't quite decided the S8 or S8 Plus.......but that Orchid Gray is soooo nice!

Yeah, I'm doing JOD and am getting the plus. Not sure on the color.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I'm doing JOD and am getting the plus. Not sure on the color.

Go black. It's the most classic color and you can't go bad with it. Good to go with a smart watch as well too.
[doublepost=1490830024][/doublepost]Do we know if the Iris Scanner and Facial Detection can be instantaneous? I watched a video with the Iris Scanner requiring a swipe up to activate it whereas the fingerprint scanner is always on and works even if the screen is off.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Several reviewers have stated that the home button is pressure sensitive.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/1...ed-features-release-date-video-specifications

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/2...keys-can-be-customized-home-key-is-always-on/

Perhaps the hard press feature only works when the phone is off or when you're in a full-screen app?
I didn't have to hard press. I just simply long pressed. If there is a hidden pressure sensitivity, it was imperceivable to me. Nothing at all like the iphone.

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
I played with the S8 and 8S+ at BestBuy today. Display looks amazing when it covers almost all the front side. My S7 and basically any phone now besides G6 look outdated with their bezels. Infinity displays should become the norm especially if the home button can be implemented like Samsung did.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
attachment.php

7 plus vs S8 plus

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Logoless.
No carrier bloat ware.

Decisions...

Interesting, certainly a consideration. Maybe it will get Oreo faster without the carriers interference. If I was to do anything it would probably be to get the unlocked one. But I'd still wait a few months as Samsungs tend to plummet in value quickly.
[doublepost=1490834138][/doublepost]
I played with the S8 and 8S+ at BestBuy today. Display looks amazing when it covers almost all the front side. My S7 and basically any phone now besides G6 look outdated with their bezels. Infinity displays should become the norm especially if the home button can be implemented like Samsung did.

They are out for display? I'll have to jet down to BB tomorrow to fondle one.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Interesting, certainly a consideration. Maybe it will get Oreo faster without the carriers interference. If I was to do anything it would probably be to get the unlocked one. But I'd still wait a few months as Samsungs tend to plummet in value quickly.

IIRC, the updates for the unlocked versions of the S7 actually lagged behind those tied to carriers. Go figure. :confused:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Drooling over the return of the Smart Dock which first appeared for the Galaxy Note 2 and now called DeX (Desktop Experience). With Nougat native resizable multiwindow support and enhancements it'll be a truer PC replacement.

Smart Dock (2012)

DeX (2017)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Best Buy USA already has live models on display? That's fast. Normally, it took about a week or so to get those in the past. I will try it over the weekend perhaps.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I see DeX has two USB ports. I might buy if it's compatible with my Logitech K400's USB receiver. Not interested in getting a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad for it.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
[doublepost=1490834138][/doublepost]

They are out for display? I'll have to jet down to BB tomorrow to fondle one.

IIRC, the updates for the unlocked versions of the S7 actually lagged behind those tied to carriers. Go figure. :confused:

It probably won't get O sooner, if it's anything like the S7. Looks like the carriers did a good job compared to Samsung.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/2...s-received-marchs-security-patch-isnt-nougat/

Reactions: spinedoc77

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Best Buy USA already has live models on display? That's fast. Normally, it took about a week or so to get those in the past. I will try it over the weekend perhaps.

I just came from my local BB and they didn't have any live models on display.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I'm hearing that T-Mobile is requiring a $130 non refundable deposit for s8+ on JOD. I was all set to get it, but now I'm not sure with the iPhone 8 on the horizon, and all the BS I went through with note 7.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I just came from my local BB and they didn't have any live models on display.

Florida Best Buys aren't the best with getting display models in a timely fashion I guess haha?
[doublepost=1490838047][/doublepost]
Drooling over the return of the Smart Dock which first appeared for the Galaxy Note 2 and now called DeX (Desktop Experience). With Nougat native resizable multiwindow support and enhancements it'll be a truer PC replacement.

Smart Dock (2012)

DeX (2017)

Microsoft is a huge partner for Samsung apparently. The Lumias were the last continuum smartphones, so let's see how that goes with DeX this time, especially with Samsung's marketing muscles and mobile foothold.
[doublepost=1490838109][/doublepost]
I'm hearing that T-Mobile is requiring a $130 non refundable deposit for s8+ on JOD. I was all set to get it, but now I'm not sure with the iPhone 8 on the horizon, and all the BS I went through with note 7.

Seems about right, but how does JoD work if you trade in a device? It lowers the monthly payments to like $10 a month or something? I can definitely afford that for a few months and then go with the iPhone OLED model at some point.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Logoless.
No carrier bloat ware.

Decisions...
I'm thinking of it. I'm not sure how obnoxious the carriers intend to get about selling our data now that the political climate might favor them doing so (I was reading of past tracking the carriers did that the govt put a stop to). So I want to be able to pack up and move on if AT&T decides to treat my data like their personal ATM. I have controls over Google doing that which I don't when the carrier is silently monitoring me.

However in actual practice my options are limited because we actually have tried them all over the past few years and are with the carrier that's given us the best coverage where we live and travel. The only ones left to try would be something like Mint sim. I don't know much about those options and how the costs would be for our whole family to switch.

Verizon is our home internet service provider. Kind of interesting we aren't also with Verizon wireless but their coverage is horrible where my husband works. Their signal doesn't penetrate the building.

I actually like the AT&T Death Star. I grew up with it. I was a toddler when my dad started working for Bell Atlantic and that was back when AT&T was still part of the whole thing. Sometimes his stationary had the Death Star and sometimes the Bell logo. I hardly ever see it on my Edge.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Florida Best Buys aren't the best with getting display models in a timely fashion I guess haha?

Microsoft is a huge partner for Samsung apparently. The Lumias were the last continuum smartphones, so let's see how that goes with DeX this time, especially with Samsung's marketing muscles and mobile foothold.

Seems about right, but how does JoD work if you trade in a device? It lowers the monthly payments to like $10 a month or something? I can definitely afford that for a few months and then go with the iPhone OLED model at some point.

What?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

Too bad too, was really looking forward to it.

Reactions: nviz22

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I do like those snap chat like animations in the camera. Yes it's a rip off of snap chat but I'm too old for snap chat. It's too convoluted. I can just about manage Instagram. I would use them if they were in the camera app.
I turned my nose up at them and made snotty remarks when I saw them. So of course I'll be using them. Never fails...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.