Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I hope google assistant is available but guessing it will be where you just double tap home button as you do as normal.
Incorrect. It isn't double press, it is a long hold. Just like with the S7 models.
[doublepost=1490821337][/doublepost]
So I watched carefully a couple of videos and I am positive you can gently tap the home button to bring you home.

Which begs the question, what is the pressure sensitive home button supposed to do?
Having used the phone, I can tell you that it is a normal press and you return home. Had it long and you get Google Assistant.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Incorrect. It isn't double press, it is a long hold. Just like with the S7 models.
[doublepost=1490821337][/doublepost]
Having used the phone, I can tell you that it is a normal press and you return home. Had it long and you get Google Assistant.

So tap = home
Long press = Google Assistant

Hard press = ?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
They best allow you to customise the bixby button to do something else if they aren't offering the service in the majority of countries, otherwise that button is like a kick in the nuts, reminding you that you are not worthy ...
Somehow that reminds me of the NFC chip in my iPhone...

Reactions: MRU

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I do like those snap chat like animations in the camera. Yes it's a rip off of snap chat but I'm too old for snap chat. It's too convoluted. I can just about manage Instagram. I would use them if they were in the camera app.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ohhh sounds interesting. I'm too old fashioned for that nonsense and just search on the web lol!

That's what 99.99% of people do regardless. It's normally quicker too. It's just another new feature that a tiny percent will ever utilise, speaking of which, I can't believe they are still including the dodgy heart rate sensor on the S8 & S8+. Does anyone really use it, and if you really want to monitor your heart rate during exercise you would be using either a chest belt or smart watch / fitness band for consistent reading. On a phone the heart rate sensor is so anomalous it may as well not exist.

Reactions: apolloa

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That's what 99.99% of people do regardless. It's normally quicker too. It's just another new feature that a tiny percent will ever utilise, speaking of which, I can't believe they are still including the dodgy heart rate sensor on the S8 & S8+.
That needs to go. I like throw everything at the wall Samsung but what's the point of it. If people are serious/interested in monitoring their heart rate they will invest in a wearable which will be far more accurate. In fact Samsung should be pushing people towards getting one of their watches and get rid of it. It's ridiculous that they would keep it around but not include the IR blaster.

Reactions: Roadstar and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That needs to go. I like throw everything at the wall Samsung but what's the point of it. If people are serious/interested in monitoring their heart rate they will invest in a wearable which will be far more accurate. In fact Samsung should be pushing people towards getting one of their watches and get rid of it. It's ridiculous that they would keep it around but not include the IR blaster.

Exactly my thoughts too.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Very surprised at the apathy/negativity in this thread. The Front Page comments are more positive than these!

I thought it was generally a very successful presentation. Suzanne De Silva had the best part, great presenter and had exciting new products to demonstrate in an innovative way. As for the phone...

SAMSUNG S8:

I love it. It's not perfect but frankly they have to leave SOME stuff for next year's phone, that's just sensible business practice/roadmapping.

S9 should have a fingerprint sensor embedded where the touch-sensitive Home button is now. The Camera should get a significant physical upgrade (maybe 2 lenses). The battery could be bigger. The speakers might improve. But there's not much else they can do to the S9 because they've done a helluva lot to the S8!

- Increased the base storage to 64GB. For people who use music streaming and Google Photos, they'll probably never even need a micro-SD card. I mean there exists the option to have a 384GB phone!!

- Camera WILL improve for sure. If you know about the architecture of Qualcomm's SnapDragon 821 then that is what enabled the Pixel to improve image processing (and subsequently the photo quality) so much. And Snap 835 should be even better - hence Samsung should be able to leverage Pixel-esque consistency, and the S7 was already ridiculously good. In fact, I'm unsure whether Exynos will have similar capabilities (for UK). I hope it does!

The camera sensor honestly doesn't need a massive upgrade - at a certain point, it's a law of diminishing returns. Sensors have been great for ages, it's the IMAGE PROCESSING that will ultimately make the difference and is FINALLY catching up. The S8 should see significant improvements (especially when trying to capture photos of children and pets running around). It will be more reliable a la Pixel but with Samsung's already brilliant essence instead of 6 good photos out of 10, you'll get 9 great photos out of 10. And front camera should be excellent.

- Design is beautiful. I mean c'mon. Makes the iPhone and Pixel look like LEGO designed them. Plenty of lovely colours and NO LOGO on the front... Finally!

- Fingerprint sensor is the only poor desicion. Yet there is PIN, Pattern, Iris and Facial recognition to boot (which is getting rave reviews). Plus Smart Lock meaning that trusted location/bluetooth devices can unlock it. How many more options do we need?? It will be in the S9 probably.

- Heart rate sensor: don't think people realise how good it is and how certified it is. It's not like these rubbish ones on every smartwatch/fitness tracker ever. My Dad had a heart attack and any time he's not feeling well, he loves being able to get an accurate reading on my phone and it puts his mind at ease.

- Battery... Did it need to be bigger? They did get rid of most of the bezels... I'd love to see the teardown - would they really have been able to cram in more and risk a N7 fiasco? Did they play it safe? Regardless, it will be far more reliable, retaining charge over long-term far more successfully. The S7 thread is constantly full of Edge owners in particular (myself included) bragging about amazing battery life.

- Fast-charging is huge. I love it. I have a charger at home, work and in the car. This covers me for 95% of the day, typically. I probably had one day where battery life got dicey in the last 6 months. There is also wireless charging, and wireless fast-charging, and accessories to boot... These are things iPhone owners still think don't exist in any hemisphere!

- Headphone jack and included quality AKG headphones... This makes me very happy. It took courage.

- Bluetooth 5.0 means coverage should be even better, and you can dual stream which is potentially awesome. As a standard, Bluetooth 5.0 is actually the most significant leap forward for a while, I'm ecstatic it made it to the S8!

- Software. Like someone else said, I'm sure it won't ship with 7.0 but even if it did, TouchWiz has dramatically improved and as a mature phone platform, the Samsung is streets ahead of the Pixel in terms of functionality and everyday usage (in my opinion). This will be another evolution.

- Bixby: I am probably most cynical about this lol. Could be great, could be a waste of time. It has a button.

- Price: OK for me personally I'd always wait a while for the price to drop (I got my S7 Edge for an artificially low bargain price of £300 which has contorted my view of what the price should be!). Never would I pay £680 for a phone, but if someone else did, they'd be getting probably the sexiest phone in the history of the world ever. I'll wait for a sub-£500 deal. Doesn't look like UK will get amazing freebies but oh well, worse things happen at sea.

OK there are duplicate apps, that fingerprint sensor and questions over software updates (I'm already used to the first and third issues). But for me, there are more than enough positives on offer. OK we knew most of them through leaks but that's not Samsung's fault.

The 360 Camera looks fantastic. The Gear VR is on-the-low a fantastic experience at a very enticing price. The DeX thingy looks cool and may be useful in a few years time, this seems like a Year Zero testing point.

I thought Samsung did a really good job. It will be my next phone, probably. But we are all phone junkies in this thread so who knows :D

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Very surprised at the apathy/negativity in this thread. The Front Page comments are more positive than these!

I thought it was generally a very successful presentation. Suzanne De Silva had the best part, great presenter and had exciting new products to demonstrate in an innovative way. As for the phone...

SAMSUNG S8:

I love it. It's not perfect but frankly they have to leave SOME stuff for next year's phone, that's just sensible business practice/roadmapping.

S9 should have a fingerprint sensor embedded where the touch-sensitive Home button is now. The Camera should get a significant physical upgrade (maybe 2 lenses). The battery could be bigger. The speakers might improve. But there's not much else they can do to the S9 because they've done a helluva lot to the S8!

- Increased the base storage to 64GB. For people who use music streaming and Google Photos, they'll probably never even need a micro-SD card. I mean there exists the option to have a 384GB phone!!

- Camera WILL improve for sure. If you know about the architecture of Qualcomm's SnapDragon 821 then that is what enabled the Pixel to improve image processing (and subsequently the photo quality) so much. And Snap 835 should be even better - hence Samsung should be able to leverage Pixel-esque consistency, and the S7 was already ridiculously good. In fact, I'm unsure whether Exynos will have similar capabilities (for UK). I hope it does!

The camera sensor honestly doesn't need a massive upgrade - at a certain point, it's a law of diminishing returns. Sensors have been great for ages, it's the IMAGE PROCESSING that will ultimately make the difference and is FINALLY catching up. The S8 should see significant improvements (especially when trying to capture photos of children and pets running around). It will be more reliable a la Pixel but with Samsung's already brilliant essence instead of 6 good photos out of 10, you'll get 9 great photos out of 10. And front camera should be excellent.

- Design is beautiful. I mean c'mon. Makes the iPhone and Pixel look like LEGO designed them. Plenty of lovely colours and NO LOGO on the front... Finally!

- Fingerprint sensor is the only poor desicion. Yet there is PIN, Pattern, Iris and Facial recognition to boot (which is getting rave reviews). Plus Smart Lock meaning that trusted location/bluetooth devices can unlock it. How many more options do we need?? It will be in the S9 probably.

- Heart rate sensor: don't think people realise how good it is and how certified it is. It's not like these rubbish ones on every smartwatch/fitness tracker ever. My Dad had a heart attack and any time he's not feeling well, he loves being able to get an accurate reading on my phone and it puts his mind at ease.

- Battery... Did it need to be bigger? They did get rid of most of the bezels... I'd love to see the teardown - would they really have been able to cram in more and risk a N7 fiasco? Did they play it safe? Regardless, it will be far more reliable, retaining charge over long-term far more successfully. The S7 thread is constantly full of Edge owners in particular (myself included) bragging about amazing battery life.

- Fast-charging is huge. I love it. I have a charger at home, work and in the car. This covers me for 95% of the day, typically. I probably had one day where battery life got dicey in the last 6 months. There is also wireless charging, and wireless fast-charging, and accessories to boot... These are things iPhone owners still think don't exist in any hemisphere!

- Headphone jack and included quality AKG headphones... This makes me very happy. It took courage.

- Bluetooth 5.0 means coverage should be even better, and you can dual stream which is potentially awesome. As a standard, Bluetooth 5.0 is actually the most significant leap forward for a while, I'm ecstatic it made it to the S8!

- Software. Like someone else said, I'm sure it won't ship with 7.0 but even if it did, TouchWiz has dramatically improved and as a mature phone platform, the Samsung is streets ahead of the Pixel in terms of functionality and everyday usage (in my opinion). This will be another evolution.

- Bixby: I am probably most cynical about this lol. Could be great, could be a waste of time. It has a button.

- Price: OK for me personally I'd always wait a while for the price to drop (I got my S7 Edge for an artificially low bargain price of £300 which has contorted my view of what the price should be!). Never would I pay £680 for a phone, but if someone else did, they'd be getting probably the sexiest phone in the history of the world ever. I'll wait for a sub-£500 deal. Doesn't look like UK will get amazing freebies but oh well, worse things happen at sea.

OK there are duplicate apps, that fingerprint sensor and questions over software updates (I'm already used to the first and third issues). But for me, there are more than enough positives on offer. OK we knew most of them through leaks but that's not Samsung's fault.

The 360 Camera looks fantastic. The Gear VR is on-the-low a fantastic experience at a very enticing price. The DeX thingy looks cool and may be useful in a few years time, this seems like a Year Zero testing point.

I thought Samsung did a really good job. It will be my next phone, probably. But we are all phone junkies in this thread so who knows :D

The 64gb capacity, AKG earphones and the iris scanner were the strong points for me.

The weak battery and the larger size were the major negatives. The dodgy FPS location didn't make it any better. (Who wants to bet me that the FPS won't go back to the front next year?)

Unknowns: the curved front (not a fan)

Colors are gorgeous, but I can't love this phone from afar!

Had this came out in the 5.2" range... there was an outside chance of buying this if the iPhone edition didn't sway my interest.

I guess with the S8, Samsung has abandoned the idea of appealing to Apple's 4.7" crowd.

Not smart, Samsung...who else has the money to spend on expensive flagship phones?! Not smart at all.

Now the only hope is I don't buy anything this year and we try again in 2018, assuming Samsung will get some sense in their head and goes back to smaller again.

Please Samsung!

Last edited:
Reactions: JaySoul

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I was just thinking the same!

How do Samsung get it right with Microsofts own software on top of that!

Looks very good!

I'd love this if it has some form of DAW with input for my Helix, that would be awesome!
I doubt it though...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

SAMSUNG S8:

I agree with you generally except regarding the heart rate sensor. Even for your father, whilst it may offer him some placebo effect of re-assurance, its usefulness even for those with heart conditions and i speak as someone who has been on heart medication for years is not really advantageous. If you have had any heart disease or attack you should be on medication for the rest of your life and even if you are reading normal heart signal, that alone is actually not indicative of your chances of a further attack.

As i actively monitor my heart rate using a proper chest band each day whilst exercising and from a fit bit blaze everyday I know that based on readouts and tracking they are calibrated very accurately and are far more accurate than any heart rate result i have got from my S5 onwards (S6e, S6e+, Note 4, Note 5, S7e, S7e+ ) which are a one shot readout rather than continuous which in itself is flawed as it provides only snapshots of data and not continuous ....

There is a reason why they strap people to an ECG machine and do it over a period of time rather than for 3 seconds for a 'single' baseline reading..

The heart rate sensor on the Samsung phones are provided flawed inaccurate & placebo fake re-assurance rather than genuine useful data and read out accuracy ...

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
There is no 'hard press'. The S8 does not have 3d touch.

Ohhh. Thank you for clearing that up. I was so confused.

But I thought I saw something about a layer of pressure sensitivity technology underneath just the home button. I must've read/heard wrong.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So what's the consensus ?

I only just watched a few videos and yeah it's essentially everything we expected. Can't say I'm now interested in it myself although it's a lovely looking device I'm still put off by the curved display and the practicality issues that has caused me with every edge phone i have had so far.

Had Samsung introduced an S8 with a 5.4" screen (flat display but edge to edge) keeping it in the same footprint as the Galaxy S7, I probably would be super hyped right now. As it stands however, whilst I'm happy for you who are excited for it, I'm still apathetic myself.
I would love to have a flat display model as well.
But I do intend to JoD to the S8. Just haven't quite decided the S8 or S8 Plus.......but that Orchid Gray is soooo nice!

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Don't want carrier bloat ware? Best Buy has confirmed they'll sell the s8 unlocked beginning may 9th. Correction: available for preorder may 9th.

S8 $725
S8+ $825

-the verge.

What do you guys think? T-Mobile or unlocked?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
There is no 'hard press'. The S8 does not have 3d touch.

Several reviewers have stated that the home button is pressure sensitive.

The Verge said:
One neat feature: some Android apps hide those main Android buttons when they go full screen, but you can still firmly press the bottom of the screen to activate the home button.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/1...ed-features-release-date-video-specifications

Sammobile said:
There is an option that, when enabled, will let you go directly to the home screen (skipping the lock screen) if you hard press the home button when the screen is off. The amount of pressure required for the hard press can also be customized. Want to get the feel of Samsung’s hardware home button? Just set pressure sensitivity to the max!
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/2...keys-can-be-customized-home-key-is-always-on/

Perhaps the hard press feature only works when the phone is off or when you're in a full-screen app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.