Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
One of the best new features if you ask me. My S7 battery life is not what it used to be when i first bought it a year ago, the battery definitely has degraded somewhat.
With Sony as one of battery suppliers to S8. Battery should be far better and safer.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Spigen's S8 cases are in stock at Amazon so I ordered the thin version. Not sure if I'll need it, but knowing how the S7 edge feels in the hand I think it'll be good to have a little extra grip on the sides with the curve.

Anyone here caseless with their S7 edge?
Just bought my Spigen S8 ultra thin case from Amazon as well!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Besides breathing more life to the S7/edge...the LG g6 is not completely overshadowed.

One thing I forgot to mention - the curved front of the s8..not sure how that will be viewed. I was dead against it and still am.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
If they stepped up their game with software like they have with design it would be great, and I keep seeing news articles that refer to Samsung phones as the iPhone killer it happens every year and they are not iPhone killers simply because Apple do brilliantly what Samsung don't and that's control both the software and the hardware, but importantly Apple push regular updates and support older devices, where as Samsung tend not to. I don't mean to be Samsung bashing, I do think that their designs are great and I'm sure the S8 will look great, the Note phones have been something I've thought are a great idea and would love Apple to add Apple Pencil support to the iPhone Plus models, so it's not like I'm hating on Samsung I just have my own reasons for not buying into their phones.
This exactly. The S8 looks awesome, but I can't bring myself to spend such money on a phone they aren't going to properly support. This is such a shame, as hardware-wise it would be easy to love Samsung devices, but unfortunately they are neglecting proper support, and it's mostly their own fault with too many models and completely unnecessary regional variants.

Reactions: Dave245

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Besides breathing more life to the S7/edge...the LG g6 is not completely overshadowed.

One thing I forgot to mention - the curved front of the s8..not sure how that will be viewed. I was dead against it and still am.
I've tried selling the G6 to people (along with the free Google Home that comes with it) and no one wants it. The V20 is currently $480 and that is the LG phone people are choosing.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What about Brexit pricing? How is VAT working now? What is the percentage? I honestly expected the UK price to be higher than 779 quid, since the US price is $750.
i'm surprised too. this price is with VAT included.

EE are offering a free 64GB SD card if you take out a new contract with them.

£55.99 a month with 5GB of data/unlimited texts and calls

or

£65.99 for the 25GB data and upgrade after 12 months

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I've tried selling the G6 to people (along with the free Google Home that comes with it) and no one wants it. The V20 is currently $480 and that is the LG phone people are choosing.

Probably because the V20 offers more bang for the buck.

It's going to be hard to drum up interest in the g6..but at least, it's not totally eclipsed by the Samsung phones. Or maybe I'm wrong? :)

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
What about Brexit pricing? How is VAT working now? What is the percentage? I honestly expected the UK price to be higher than 779 quid, since the US price is $750.
That's 22% higher than the S7 edge was priced at launch last year (it was £639), so yeah, Brexit has increased the pricing considerably. VAT is still 20%.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So what's the consensus ?

I only just watched a few videos and yeah it's essentially everything we expected. Can't say I'm now interested in it myself although it's a lovely looking device I'm still put off by the curved display and the practicality issues that has caused me with every edge phone i have had so far.

Had Samsung introduced an S8 with a 5.4" screen (flat display but edge to edge) keeping it in the same footprint as the Galaxy S7, I probably would be super hyped right now. As it stands however, whilst I'm happy for you who are excited for it, I'm still apathetic myself.

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

I only just watched a few videos and yeah it's essentially everything we expected. Can't say I'm now interested in it myself although it's a lovely looking device I'm still put off by the curved display and the practicality issues that has caused me with every edge phone i have had so far.

Had Samsung introduced an S8 with a 5.4" screen (edge to edge) keeping it in the same footprint as the Galaxy S7, I probably would be super hyped right now. As it stands however, whilst I'm happy for you who are excited for it, I'm still apathetic myself.

It's going to be either the iPhone Edition or a third year with the 6s.

Since I'm relatively new to all this (unlike many here), the latter option is quite alright if it comes down to that.

Reactions: MRU

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Hardware looks alright; good competition. But it's still running a horrible(on every possible level) OS. That alone is a showstopper for me.

Hardware from most manufacturers has reaches the point where the differences in specifications matter less. The differentiator is the software. (iOS has many faults, but not nearly as many as Android).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Had Samsung introduced an S8 with a 5.4" screen (flat display but edge to edge) keeping it in the same footprint as the Galaxy S7, I probably would be super hyped right now. As it stands however, whilst I'm happy for you who are excited for it, I'm still apathetic myself.
in fairness the false touches they say are gone now. I think the iphone 8 might be more your kind of thing from a size standpoint if it's only 5.1 usable screen

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I think I'll be pre-ordering. Black S8.

FYI, I did see this on Android Central regarding the unlocked model. But we'll see if it's true or not, or is available sooner.

http://www.androidcentral.com/where-buy-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus-us

U.S. unlocked
Samsung didn't actually make an announcement about the availability of U.S. unlocked models, but Best Buy has pages up giving us pricing and a supposed pre-order date of May 9. The model numbers follow the same scheme as the U.S. unlocked Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, so it seems to be the case that the unlocked models will be on their way soon.

Reactions: epicrayban

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'll be preordering the black S8 on Verizon tomorrow. I'm very excited about the S8 -- more so than I've been excited about any Android device released since the first Moto X. I traded my S7 in on a Pixel but didn't like the Pixel so I exchanged for an iPhone 7. It felt like it would have been a waste of money to go from Pixel back to S7 and that is the only reason I have the iPhone 7 now.

I honestly don't think I'll ever purchase another iPhone unless they make some major changes to the iTunes paradigm. I don't want to use software to "sync" my phone with my PC just to transfer wallpapers and ringtones.

I also don't think I'll purchase another stock Android device because I now prefer the Samsung UI over stock.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
in fairness the false touches they say are gone now. I think the iphone 8 might be more your kind of thing from a size standpoint if it's only 5.1 usable screen
It's more the uncomfortableness of holding it in landscape and problems with screen protectors that irk me more. The fact it's a bigger device and the hand gymnastics that would occur that make me want to avoid larger and specifically curved displays.

TBH the iPhone 8 isn't high on my radar given the inevitable price hike. Given the iPhone 7 128 is €900 here, i hate to think what an iPhone 8 will retail for, let alone attempt to justify it to myself.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Love the fact that you can hide the app button without disabling the app drawer.

Please explain more. o_O

[doublepost=1490817879][/doublepost]S8 camera samples: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...G-G6-vs-iPhone-7-frist-camera-samples_id92555

[doublepost=1490818025][/doublepost]Tmo customers will benefit from Samsung's new connectivity technology in the S8: http://www.phonearena.com/news/galaxy-s8-product-video_id92568

T-Mobile says data speeds will double for some customers using the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ (VIDEO)

Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
While it's certainly a stunning device, nothing here to compell me away from my iPhone or a possible Pixel sequel later this year. I don't like Samsungs interpretation of Android, nor other elements of their ecosystem and find their support for their hardware to be quite lackluster, to be kind. For those who are fans of the Galaxy line, it certainly seems to be a nice iteration and hope y'all enjoy your new toys. :D

Reactions: 5105973

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
TBH the iPhone 8 isn't high on my radar given the inevitable price hike. Given the iPhone 7 128 is €900 here, i hate to think what an iPhone 8 will retail for, let alone attempt to justify it to myself.

Same for me. The expected Euro price for the iPhone 8 seems hard to justify, especially when I'm typing this on a gorgeous 128GB Midnight Black OnePlus 3T which cost me just a tiny bit over half as much as my 128GB iPhone 7.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Strange. I've had every iPhone except the first one and never ever ever had an Apple app crash. Some cheap third party apps maybe.
It is strange. I'll see how it goes after the next update. If I'm still having problems I'll set both of my devices up as new again. I was thinking of doing that anyway when the final version of IOS 10 gets released. Give both devices a fresh start.

Getting back to the Samsungs, I see their web site has changed since I got back from picking the kids up. It looks like the colors are missing. On Best Buy I just see silver, black and Orchid. Where did blue and gold go? I need to get caught up with this thread and see what I've missed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.