Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don't see an option to preorder unlocked on their site. US Carriers must have applied the usual pressure on their agreements. Carriers becoming even more powerful in other ways is why I place more of a premium on unlocked options than I once did.

It looks like there won't be any regional restrictions on color options which is a most welcome development. However, AT&T has usually been very stingy with color choices for Samsung. I can't find on their site what color they are offering. Picking a color is a big part of the fun with Samsung these days so I'm not giving that up if I can help it.

I must say I'm shocked at the colors. I didn't see solid leaks on Maple Gold and Coral Blue. I thought the blues ones were fakes.

They all look very elegant and Maple Gold is a very rich color, probably harder to mistake for silver and vice versa this time around.

I don't know for certain that I'm getting an S8 but I really want the 360 camera! And I want it now!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I had this whole setup once.......it just wasn't implemented very well at the time.

motorola-atrix_dock.jpg

To me it depends on price/performance, but with regular laptops being the same size as that dock, i would prefer having a separate phone and laptop that just stay in sync with each other.

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I was right that the front will be logo-less..predicted that some weeks ago.

The battery on the S8 will be a problem...Samsung took a step back (just like they did w/the s6). Once you override the default display settings and go higher...your battery is going to pulmet.

I'm not rushin' to get this phone tho' it sure is purty!

Better luck next year.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
To me it depends on price/performance, but with regular laptops being the same size as that dock, i would prefer having a separate phone and laptop that just stay in sync with each other.
The Atrix....the phone had all the processing power and the lapdock was just a dummy sort of projection screen and charging station. But with today's Chromebooks being so cheap the Dex would be useful in that way.
I am like you though. I have all my data in the cloud except music. I hate streaming music....rather have it local on a SD card

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Oh ok. They dragged their heels in over Apple Pay didn't they and then decided to launch their own mobile payments service.

Yup they really did drag it out.
I think they were the last ones to adopt Apple Pay and then I tweeted about Android and they just said there were no plans due to them launching their own.
Dumb!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Really surprised with the lack of camera upgrade. Not sure if Bixby and Dex can get me to JOD with the phone.
Cameras were upgraded. Laser auto focus added to the dual-pixel auto focus feature. Upgraded sensor and HDR support.
Front camera now has f1.7 just like the rear camera. Low light capture capability was added to the front camera as well for better selfies.
Not to mention the integration of Bixby and Amazon into the camera software.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Android has improved a lot, though. I'm getting more crashes and messes on the current release of iOS 10 right now, to be honest. I do hope once all the beta testing is done it goes back to being "old reliable" like I'm used to.

I'm going to be firmly fence-sitting for at least another two years. I like so much about both.

That's funny. I haven't had a single crash since I've been using it. And how do you know you have "messes"? What's a "mess"?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Cameras were upgraded. Laser auto focus added to the dual-pixel auto focus feature. Upgraded sensor and HDR support.
Front camera now has f1.7 just like the rear camera. Low light capture capability was added to the front camera as well for better selfies.

Okay, that's good to know. I thought it was literally the same camera.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Screenshot_20170329-095426.png
And as I mentioned the other day, here is the $100 pre-order package via T-Mobile.

Also notice the fine print... Submit your info to Samsung promotions starting on April 10. This falls in line with rumors that those that preorder will get the phone on the 11th of April.

Straight from the horse's mouth is this email: "Starting March 29, customers who pre-order the Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ can get a Samsung Gear VR with controller and Oculus bonus content for free. Or, for just $99, customers can get a premium experience with a Gear VR with controller, Oculus bonus content, 256GB memory card and premium headphones by AKG."

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That's funny. I haven't had a single crash since I've been using it. And how do you know you have "messes"? What's a "mess"?
Crashes to home screen on apps like News Apps and weather apps on both iPad and iPhone. My mail app on my iPhone became corrupted and had to be reinstalled. I missed important emails coming in from one of my accounts due to that. I can't remember ever having anything quite like that happening on an iPhone before. Those kinds of messes. I have had a lot of Safari browser crashes on ordinary tech sites happen a lot now.

A lot of them of course are loaded with terrible ads, so that's not unexpected, but it's happening more than it used to on both devices since I updated them. The phone is still fairly new and I don't have that many apps loaded onto it. I've noticed the battery draining faster as well.

It's not the hardware, it was one of the last updates. I'm sure it will be fine at the next update. My husband has had a few things hang up on his 7 Plus, too. I remember he had trouble with the camera a few times. Nothing that a reboot couldn't fix. But both of us have had to reboot a bit more often than we are used to doing. It reminds me of back when I had my iPhone 5s. I don't remember the iOS version I was running back then but for awhile there were similar hiccups and then Apple straightened it all out eventually.

Both phones were set up new and clean.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The Atrix....the phone had all the processing power and the lapdock was just a dummy sort of projection screen and charging station. But with today's Chromebooks being so cheap the Dex would be useful in that way.
I am like you though. I have all my data in the cloud except music. I hate streaming music....rather have it local on a SD card

I the same way, I store everything in the cloud and then download it to my phone so it's stored locally too.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So, who's doing what?

I'm on for the 360 camera. Verge says it works with iPhones, too.

I want the VR stuff, too. I already have VR stuff. I want better VR stuff. So I will take a look at the VR stuff and see if it's all that better than my VR stuff.

I want the DeX thingy. However I don't need the DeX thingy and I should be dragged out and shot for even calling it a DeX thingy like an idiot. I am not getting the DeX. I just think it's cool. Again, I sound like an idiot. It's that kind of day. I have the flu and got about three hours of horrible sleep. Forgive me and move on...

I want the unlocked version of the phone in Orchid Gray. I like the other colors a lot, too. But I've never seen or owned a purple phone before. It's cool. It's new. It's different. Again, I don't know if I am getting one. I did come away from the Unpacked Event favorably impressed. Now it's on to real world reviews...

The ostrich was so cute. That's totally me or my mother-in-law or sister in law tripping around in my VR headset in my living room! People really do look so dorky wearing VR Goggles. I liked that Samsung didn't even try to make it look anything but cute and dorky. And it was a cute way to convey their message. In my opinion.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. The front camera of the S7 had an F1.7 aperture too. As for laser auto focus for the rear camera, could you point me to your source? I have not seen a single website claim this (even Samsung's official website) and furthermore there is no visible laser auto focus module located on the rear of the phone. I am therefore extremely sceptical of your claim. There is also scant evidence that the rear camera sensor has been changed in the S8, all the available information points to the same sensor as the one found in the S7 (12MP dual pixel with 1.4um pixel pitch) but with significantly updated software processing. The front camera sensor is certainly upgraded though, so I apologise if this is what you are referring to. Saying that HDR is a new feature is also incorrect; the S7 camera already had HDR support (both front and rear), pretty much every modern smartphone camera has HDR capabilities. Not sure why you would state otherwise. Unless, you mean the enhanced software processing that Samsung has included in the S8.

Reactions: akuma13

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
The Galaxy S8, however, is embedded with sophisticated multi-frame image processing to ensure bright and clear photographs in nearly every environment.
With this technology, the camera takes three photos – instead of just one – then selects the clearest image and uses the other two to reduce the blur. By imposing the three images on top of one another, the resulting photograph is highly detailed with clearer contours.

Similar to Pixel's multi frame processing.

Source: https://news.samsung.com/global/in-depth-look-fast-fun-and-in-focus-the-galaxy-s8-camera

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.