Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Was possibly thinking on getting an S8+, but after reading about the official phones, not a frigging chance;

- Lol. Launched with outdated software. Android 7.1 has been out awhile, and these just ship with last years 7.0 UNACCEPTABLE.

- 3,000mAh battery on the 5.8" phone is way too small, and will just give average battery life, and 3,500mAh on the 6.2" phone again is just too small, will probably have good battery life, but not like if it had a 4,000mAh which the S8+ should absolutely have. Why can the Huawei Mate 9 with a 5.9" screen come with a 4,000mAh battery, and has amazing battery life.

- And Touchwiz, again, they need to be selling GPE phones again, the option to pay full price for a Samsung Galaxy phone running stock Android supported directly by Google. That's the only way to guarantee timely updates and a smooth OS. These S8 will be lucky to see Android O by Spring 2018, heck they aren't even shipping with the current 7.1

- TW blows, don't care what anyone says, I have owned the Note II, S3, S4, Note 5, S7 Edge. Every single one of those phones lags like an old Windows 95 PC after a few months. Even the Note 5, yeah brand new it was awesome, but six months later was a laggy bogged down phone. My co-workers all got S7 Edge for Christmas recently, I set them all up, and I was shocked at how much tiny micro stutter, and little hiccups all these S7 Edge's had. They were not smooth phones at all. I went to T-mobile last Fall to look at the Note 7's, the salesman had a personal Note 7 he let me play with, he said look how smooth this phone is, I said wow not. It lagged at spots here and there, and would stutter for half a second when doing a lot of stuff.

-Stock Android is 1,000 times more smooth than TW, even Nougat Toucchwiz. Today in 2017, there's zero need for these manufactures UI anymore, they should all be running vanilla Android 7.1.2

Samsung clearly wants to just use its own operating system to integrate hardware like Apple can do. However, they have not managed to do so and would totally fail if they tried to get off Android now. So yeah, Touch Wiz is here to stay.

Never used it BTW, just observing from planet Apple.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013
VERIZON
Preorders start March 30th. Available in stores April 21st.
Preorder customers receive free Gear VR with Controller and Oculus content pack, or instead opt for $99 “Experience Box” with Gear VR and Controller, Harman Kardon headphones and 256 GB microSD card

Galaxy S8: $720 full retail
Monthly installments: $30 / mo for 24 months

Galaxy S8 Plus: $840 full retail
Monthly installments: $35 / mo for 24 months

AT&T
Preorder customers receive free Gear VR with Controller and Oculus content pack.

Galaxy S8: $750 full retail
AT&T Next: $25 / mo for 30 months
AT&T Next Every Year: $31.25 / mo for 24 months

Galaxy S8 Plus: $850 full retail
AT&T Next: $28.34 / mo for 30 months
AT&T Next Every Year: $35.42 / mo for 24 months

T-MOBILE
Preorder customers receive free Gear VR with Controller and Oculus game pack.
T-Mobile @Work customers get free DeX desktop dock with in-store preorder.

Galaxy S8: $750 full retail ($729 at MetroPCS)
Monthly installments: $30 down payment + $30 / mo for 24 months
Jump! On Demand: $0 down +$33 / mo for 24 months

Galaxy S8 Plus: $850 full retail
Monthly installments: $130 down payment + $30 / mo for 24 months
Jump! On Demand: Same as monthly installments

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Was possibly thinking on getting an S8+, but after reading about the official phones, not a frigging chance;

- Lol. Launched with outdated software. Android 7.1 has been out awhile, and these just ship with last years 7.0 UNACCEPTABLE.

- 3,000mAh battery on the 5.8" phone is way too small, and will just give average battery life, and 3,500mAh on the 6.2" phone again is just too small, will probably have good battery life, but not like if it had a 4,000mAh which the S8+ should absolutely have. Why can the Huawei Mate 9 with a 5.9" screen come with a 4,000mAh battery, and has amazing battery life.

- And Touchwiz, again, they need to be selling GPE phones again, the option to pay full price for a Samsung Galaxy phone running stock Android supported directly by Google. That's the only way to guarantee timely updates and a smooth OS. These S8 will be lucky to see Android O by Spring 2018, heck they aren't even shipping with the current 7.1

- TW blows, don't care what anyone says, I have owned the Note II, S3, S4, Note 5, S7 Edge. Every single one of those phones lags like an old Windows 95 PC after a few months. Even the Note 5, yeah brand new it was awesome, but six months later was a laggy bogged down phone. My co-workers all got S7 Edge for Christmas recently, I set them all up, and I was shocked at how much tiny micro stutter, and little hiccups all these S7 Edge's had. They were not smooth phones at all. I went to T-mobile last Fall to look at the Note 7's, the salesman had a personal Note 7 he let me play with, he said look how smooth this phone is, I said wow not. It lagged at spots here and there, and would stutter for half a second when doing a lot of stuff.

-Stock Android is 1,000 times more smooth than TW, even Nougat Toucchwiz. Today in 2017, there's zero need for these manufactures UI anymore, they should all be running vanilla Android 7.1.2

- Lastly I am no iPhone at all, but surprisingly have an iPhone 7 Plus as my daily driver, and I am shocked at how smooth iOS 10.3 is, just so buttery darn smooth, never hiccups, never lags, it's just always the same speed always smooth. Touchwiz Nougat isn't even close to the smoothness of iOS, and TW isn't as smooth as Android 7.1 , that's not opinion, but fact.

BS!

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
As always, buying a Samsung at launch or full price is a horrible idea. These will be much cheaper not long after release, especially used on swappa, ebay ect

Reactions: Sensamic

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
So Samsung Dex turns that monitor, keyboard and mouse you have on your desk into a PC? Like there wasn't a PC already attached to it? You basically have the newest technology in your hand and turn it into technology from the '80s. I don't get it.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Wow I cant believe they used the same sensor, are you all sure that is true? Samsung usually always improves it every year

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Same camera as S7's is a mistake.

I mean, I loved that camera, but was hoping for upgrades here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.