Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm surprised people want to catch the event live; don't they normally have the worst presentations?
That's what's so great about them! The lolz! Actually the presentations aren't too bad. It's the stone faced reactions of the crowd. They don't have the same pep squad Apple has, I guess.

Truth be told I'm a bit scared to watch the next Apple event. Sia scared my daughter, lol! It was hard to tell if we were watching a musical presentation or an occult Apocalypse. :confused::eek: How will Apple top that? I dare not contemplate it.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Android has improved a lot, though. I'm getting more crashes and messes on the current release of iOS 10 right now, to be honest. I do hope once all the beta testing is done it goes back to being "old reliable" like I'm used to.

I'm going to be firmly fence-sitting for at least another two years. I like so much about both.

I'm finding iOS 10 to be just as great as the other versions. Android just doesnt appeal to me and because Apple control the hard warehouse and the software on the iPhone I love the regular updates and security updates on both iOS and MacOS, Samsung don't put out many updates also customer service for Apple is just second to none, they are not perfect tho and they do need to step up thief game for the next iPhone. We will see what Samsung announces today.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm finding iOS 10 to be just as great as the other versions. Android just doesnt appeal to me and because Apple control the hard warehouse and the software on the iPhone I love the regular updates and security updates on both iOS and MacOS, Samsung don't put out many updates also customer service for Apple is just second to none, they are not perfect tho and they do need to step up thief game for the next iPhone. We will see what Samsung announces today.
This is going to be a really telling year for Samsung, as to how far they're going to step up service, support, updates. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Even if I don't get the new S8, I still have two Samsungs with which to evaluate their commitment to customer satisfaction.

I'm not sure they're going to try and make something more of Tizen. That's a big gamble considering the ugly deaths of Blackberry OS and Windows phones. :(

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
My wallet thanks Samsung's poor software support. Just checked, and my S7 Edge is still on January updates. Not going to spend lots of Euros on something they're not going to support properly.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This is going to be a really telling year for Samsung, as to how far they're going to step up service, support, updates. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Even if I don't get the new S8, I still have two Samsungs with which to evaluate their commitment to customer satisfaction.

I'm not sure they're going to try and make something more of Tizen. That's a big gamble considering the ugly deaths of Blackberry OS and Windows phones. :(

If they stepped up their game with software like they have with design it would be great, and I keep seeing news articles that refer to Samsung phones as the iPhone killer it happens every year and they are not iPhone killers simply because Apple do brilliantly what Samsung don't and that's control both the software and the hardware, but importantly Apple push regular updates and support older devices, where as Samsung tend not to. I don't mean to be Samsung bashing, I do think that their designs are great and I'm sure the S8 will look great, the Note phones have been something I've thought are a great idea and would love Apple to add Apple Pencil support to the iPhone Plus models, so it's not like I'm hating on Samsung I just have my own reasons for not buying into their phones.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

agreed

i'm quite happy that we have a samsung store now in Leicester. As least if i would of had an issue i could go in there and take it to them. where previously you are depending on sending devices off which isn't ideal to me.

software updates are rather important to me and if only samsung were able to put the latest android update as fast as pixel then it would be huge.

if the new iPhone was going to be 5.8 inch usable screen then chances are i wouldn't be looking at the S8 plus. That said i bet i get the new iPhone when it's out as well. it will be an amazing device but the screen size has got me bit concerned.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Can't wait for the promo deals too!

The Samsung promo if going to be a free Gear VR, free remote for it and a gift card to the Oculus store (I do that know
how much). Additionally, for $99 you can get a pair of over the ear AKG headphones and a 256 GB memory card (also includes free VR etc). The in ear AKG headphones that come with the phone are pretty nice too. A lot better than what they have included in the past.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...oday/?sort=new

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
and so it begins.....

giphy.gif

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Great looking device. I will probably never buy another Android device, but nevertheless, Samsung makes the best screens and cameras in smartphones. Good luck, Samsung!

DMH0630

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2016
Great looking device. I will probably never buy another Android device, but nevertheless, Samsung makes the best screens and cameras in smartphones. Good luck, Samsung!

It is a good looking phone but I feel somewhat disappointed.

The screen has HDR but will it really be something that noticeable on a daily usage?

I feel like they blew it by putting the fingerprint scanner on the back, it would've been beautiful if it was integrated on the display (supposedly how Apple will do it).

All in all I feel it's a great phone but specs (which is usually is what get Android fans excited) they haven't improved that much (at least from what I read/seen).

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Well at least the presenter is right, this is the first "redesign" of what we think of a phone.

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013
Processor

• US: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa core (2.35 GHz Quad + 1.yGHZ Quad)
  • International: Samsung Exynos Octa core (2.35 GHz Quad + 1.9GHZ Quad)
Display

• Galaxy S8: 5.8-inch OLED, 2960 x 1440, 570ppi
  • Galaxy S8 Plus: 6.2-inch OLED, 2960 x 1440, 529ppi
Cameras

• Rear: 12-megapixel, OIS, F1.7
  • Front: 8-megapixel, auto focus, F1.7
Batteries

• Galaxy S8: 3,000 mAh
  • Galaxy S8 Plus: 3,500 mAh
Dimensions

• Galaxy S8: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm, 155g
  • Galaxy S8 Plus: 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1 mm, 173g
Other specs

• Android 7.0 Nougat
  • USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack
  • NFC and MST for Samsung Pay
  • IP68 water and dust resistant
  • Wireless charging
  • LTE Cat.16
  • Bluetooth 5.0, can stream to two devices
  • Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.