Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well, got to play with the S8 today (not the plus model). I can confirm a few things. There are NO stereo speakers (like the iPhone 7 has. In other words, there is no sound generated from the earpiece. Only from the bottom speaker, but it is loud as fu....!)

The screen is beautiful (still at 2k resolution unfortunately), even in the new wide screen format. I did not find the curved edges distracting in the least. I can't recall now, but I think the curves were less pronounced than the S7 Edge model.

I could not test out Bixby (but the button on the left side of the phone, under the volume buttons is for Bixby), since the phone is not allowed to use a data connection until the 29th.

The new AKG earphones that come with the phone are much, much nicer than any other earphones I have seen that come packaged with a phone. The sound quality is extremely good. The fit is comfortable. I hated the stock ones that came with the iphone and the Galaxy S7/Note 7. The headphones are similar to the Apple style, with a volume adjuster below where the wires split.

The 'virtual' buttons at the bottom of the phone work like this: The home button in the center is actually under the screen and will work all the time (it is hardware based), in any app, just like the home button functioned on previous models (this includes holding down the "button" and bringing up Google Assistant!) The buttons to the left and right of the home button are software based and can be altered. (I was not allowed to adjust the virtual buttons to test this feature out).
There is no '3D touch'. It is a long hold on an app icon and then several options for the app come up. (If you use Nova launcher, it is very similar to how it works with that).

The camera app comes with a lot of new features. Ive seen people with iphones using those camera apps that add cartoony ears, noses and crap like that to their faces for selfies. Well, teh camera app comes stock with that feature too. One very cool thing that the camera does have is the ability to look at something and eaither search the internet for similar items OR go straight to Amazon and give you the option to buy the item and/or see how much it costs. (I could not test this out, as the phone did not have a connection to the internet).

The fingerprint scanner is on the back, as all the pics have shown. Without a case on the phone, you will constantly touch the camera lens. Once I put a case on the phone, I didn't have any issues. The opening on the case makes it very easy to guide your finger right to the scanner and not smear the camera lens. But I think a case is going to be mandatory.

To unlock the phone, you can use the Iris scanner, face recognition or the fingerprint scanner. You CAN NOT use these funtions simultaneously however. I tested out the facial recognition and it worked extremely fast and flawlessly. Apparently, the sensor on the front scans using depth, so it cant be fooled by a picture of someones face. The iris scanner works well with glasses and in darker environments.

It does use Bluetooth 5.0. It does use USB-C. It does have a headphone jack. It only has 4gb of RAM. The phone comes standard with 64gb of memory (expandable though, so you can add up to 256gb sd cards).

Lastly, the promo that will be offered with the phone for pre-order is: For an extra $100 you can get a 256gb sd card, a new Gear VR WITH controller and over the ear style AKG headphones (I don't know which model).

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them, but I only got to play with the phone for about 10 minutes and I did not test out every feature. I receive training on the phone from our Samsung rep this coming Sunday, so may be able to answer more after that.

Nice! How was form factor and ergonomics?

Also, what did you mean that the home button is hardware? Could you elaborate?
[doublepost=1490704268][/doublepost]http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...e-Sony-sensor-thats-not-yet-available_id92480

Samsung Galaxy S8's camera tipped to include Sony sensor that's not yet available

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well, got to play with the S8 today (not the plus model). I can confirm a few things. There are NO stereo speakers (like the iPhone 7 has. In other words, there is no sound generated from the earpiece. Only from the bottom speaker, but it is loud as fu....!)

The screen is beautiful (still at 2k resolution unfortunately), even in the new wide screen format. I did not find the curved edges distracting in the least. I can't recall now, but I think the curves were less pronounced than the S7 Edge model.

I could not test out Bixby (but the button on the left side of the phone, under the volume buttons is for Bixby), since the phone is not allowed to use a data connection until the 29th.

The new AKG earphones that come with the phone are much, much nicer than any other earphones I have seen that come packaged with a phone. The sound quality is extremely good. The fit is comfortable. I hated the stock ones that came with the iphone and the Galaxy S7/Note 7. The headphones are similar to the Apple style, with a volume adjuster below where the wires split.

The 'virtual' buttons at the bottom of the phone work like this: The home button in the center is actually under the screen and will work all the time (it is hardware based), in any app, just like the home button functioned on previous models (this includes holding down the "button" and bringing up Google Assistant!) The buttons to the left and right of the home button are software based and can be altered. (I was not allowed to adjust the virtual buttons to test this feature out).
There is no '3D touch'. It is a long hold on an app icon and then several options for the app come up. (If you use Nova launcher, it is very similar to how it works with that).

The camera app comes with a lot of new features. Ive seen people with iphones using those camera apps that add cartoony ears, noses and crap like that to their faces for selfies. Well, teh camera app comes stock with that feature too. One very cool thing that the camera does have is the ability to look at something and eaither search the internet for similar items OR go straight to Amazon and give you the option to buy the item and/or see how much it costs. (I could not test this out, as the phone did not have a connection to the internet).

The fingerprint scanner is on the back, as all the pics have shown. Without a case on the phone, you will constantly touch the camera lens. Once I put a case on the phone, I didn't have any issues. The opening on the case makes it very easy to guide your finger right to the scanner and not smear the camera lens. But I think a case is going to be mandatory.

To unlock the phone, you can use the Iris scanner, face recognition or the fingerprint scanner. You CAN NOT use these funtions simultaneously however. I tested out the facial recognition and it worked extremely fast and flawlessly. Apparently, the sensor on the front scans using depth, so it cant be fooled by a picture of someones face. The iris scanner works well with glasses and in darker environments.

It does use Bluetooth 5.0. It does use USB-C. It does have a headphone jack. It only has 4gb of RAM. The phone comes standard with 64gb of memory (expandable though, so you can add up to 256gb sd cards).

Lastly, the promo that will be offered with the phone for pre-order is: For an extra $100 you can get a 256gb sd card, a new Gear VR WITH controller and over the ear style AKG headphones (I don't know which model).

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them, but I only got to play with the phone for about 10 minutes and I did not test out every feature. I receive training on the phone from our Samsung rep this coming Sunday, so may be able to answer more after that.
Thanks so much! Awesome write up. I like what I've heard so far. I'm not going to ask too much since I'll find out soon enough anyway. I just wonder if you know if the US will get the orchid gray purplish color.

I'm fine with there not being stereo speakers because without speakers being front facing, the stereo effect isn't that pronounced. On my Nintendo 3DS XL the stereo is amazing, especially for such a comparatively inexpensive device, but on my IPhone 7Plus, though the sound is very good, I can't say it's got the same stereo effect I get on my humble Nintendo. Front facing makes such a difference. And you can't really have those without bezels.

Reactions: mel823 and jamezr

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Thank you for the write-up.

I really hope the FPS will return to the front in 2018, but we'll have to see. The iris scanner doesn't fit into my usage patterns.

I think the battery life will take a sizable hit (which isn't a good thing).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Nice, thanks for posting. I'm curious about the home button, since it appears to be hardware based. Is it possible for the screen to project OVER the hardware button, really over the entire navigation bar? The easiest way to test it would be if videos were able to full screen over that portion. I'm curious if we can regain that screen space with things like video.

I'm highly bummed about the fp sensor placement, but I think I can deal with it either using the proximity unlock functions and face recognition. Otherwise my only fear is how slowly Samsung phones are updated.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Nice, thanks for posting. I'm curious about the home button, since it appears to be hardware based. Is it possible for the screen to project OVER the hardware button, really over the entire navigation bar? The easiest way to test it would be if videos were able to full screen over that portion. I'm curious if we can regain that screen space with things like video.

I'm highly bummed about the fp sensor placement, but I think I can deal with it either using the proximity unlock functions and face recognition. Otherwise my only fear is how slowly Samsung phones are updated.

From the description on Reddit it seems like it's a software-based part of the screen but has a tactile response when pressed, like the iPhone 7's home button.

I can confirm that the "home button" is pressure sensitive like a 3D touch. In any screen (even full screen) you can press where the he button should be and it clicks like the iPhone does and takes you to the home page.

You can still hit the home button in full screen without swiping up to reveal all three buttons. When you push where the home button "should" be, even when in full screen, it will take you to the home page and give a little buzz like the new iPhone "button".

Edit: you actually have to push it with force similar to the iPhones 3D touch. If you just lightly pushed where it should be it wouldn't do anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/61vncu/i_got_to_play_with_an_s8_today/

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
From the description on Reddit it seems like it's a software-based part of the screen but has a tactile response when pressed, like the iPhone 7's home button.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/61vncu/i_got_to_play_with_an_s8_today/

Yeah I get that, I was just curious if the entire nav bar goes away with full screen stuff like video. I'm sure it does, but haven't seen anything confirming that. I'd like to contrast that with the ip8's function bar when that comes out.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Since we more or less know all there is to know, I'm eager to learn about two things:

1) Prices -- If it's outrageous, I'm not adverse to saving money and picking up the S7 again.

2) Unlock version availability -- will it be on day one? Or will Samsung give a buffer so the carriers get a head start (like Apple does. I believe Apple makes the unlocked version about a month or so after launch).

Last edited:

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Since we more or less know all there is to know, I'm eager to learn about two things:

1) Prices
2) Unlock version availability -- will it be on day one? Or will Samsung give a buffer so the carriers get a head start (like Apple does. I believe Apple makes the unlocked version about a month or so after launch).
Is this a common practice in the US? That unlocked devices aren't available from day one? Over here all are sold unlocked from launch including iphones.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Is this a common practice in the US? That unlocked devices aren't available from day one? Over here all are sold unlocked from launch including iphones.

Not always true, but usually is the case when it comes to major flagships that partner with all four main carriers here in the USA. Particularly true with Apple and Samsung. I believe the S7 wasn't available unlocked for 3 months after it launched on carriers.

However, there are others that sell unlocked directly. Motorola, HTC, and Google. Google sells their Nexus/Pixel phones unlocked immediately and have only partnered with carriers recently. Pixel was a Verizon exclusive, but was also available unlocked right away.

So it depends.

Reactions: PJM83

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Heeeeey it just struck me that with new button layout we're losing "double press to unlock camera" on the home button. That was one of my absolute favorite features, and one that I've been rooting for Apple to steal for a couple of years now.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Heeeeey it just struck me that with new button layout we're losing "double press to unlock camera" on the home button. That was one of my absolute favorite features, and one that I've been rooting for Apple to steal for a couple of years now.

Yep. Love that feature.

With the S8, it'll be in the power button instead. Double tap power button to quick launch camera.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I hope Samsung have further refined the Always On Display.
What a useful feature especially the way it's been implemented with the Double-tap functions in the S7.

I've been handling a lot of emails on my phone this week between the company I am leaving and the company I'm starting at next week, and all the admin that comes with moving RAs, Medical Aid etc etc... And I have truly come to appreciate being able to Double-tap the email notifications in the AOD and go straight into the email, makes things so much easier.

I don't think I can go backwards to a Smartphone without AOD. Battery life is also good with AOD, I'm surprised I can get a full day of usage with it On.

Reactions: akuma13

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Nice! How was form factor and ergonomics?

Also, what did you mean that the home button is hardware? Could you elaborate?
[doublepost=1490704268][/doublepost]http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...e-Sony-sensor-thats-not-yet-available_id92480

Samsung Galaxy S8's camera tipped to include Sony sensor that's not yet available
The home button is a sensor under the glass. It is hardware based and therefore always available to touch, even in apps. (A long touch is required while in app in order to bring you back to the home screen. This mimics how the physical home button works on previous models.) The other two buttons for 'back' and 'recent apps' are virtual. They are nothing but a software overlay. No sensors under them.
[doublepost=1490723204][/doublepost]

Yes, the entire screen projects over the buttons, including the home button. While playing a game for instance, the entire screen is filled, but the home button can still be long pressed to take you out of the app. On the home screen, the button area at the bottom was filled in with a black color, but the guy told us that it could be filled in with any color you choose. I forgot to ask if a 0% opacity could be chosen.
[doublepost=1490723312][/doublepost]
Yep. Love that feature.

With the S8, it'll be in the power button instead. Double tap power button to quick launch camera.
Actually, there was a quick way to launch the camera, even when the phone was in sleep mode. I don't remember what he did right now, but you can launch the camera super quick.
[doublepost=1490723538][/doublepost]
Thanks so much! Awesome write up. I like what I've heard so far. I'm not going to ask too much since I'll find out soon enough anyway. I just wonder if you know if the US will get the orchid gray purplish color.

I'm fine with there not being stereo speakers because without speakers being front facing, the stereo effect isn't that pronounced. On my Nintendo 3DS XL the stereo is amazing, especially for such a comparatively inexpensive device, but on my IPhone 7Plus, though the sound is very good, I can't say it's got the same stereo effect I get on my humble Nintendo. Front facing makes such a difference. And you can't really have those without bezels.
Sorry, I have no idea about colors. I played with the all black version.
[doublepost=1490723614][/doublepost]
I hope Samsung have further refined the Always On Display.
What a useful feature especially the way it's been implemented with the Double-tap functions in the S7.

I've been handling a lot of emails on my phone this week between the company I am leaving and the company I'm starting at next week, and all the admin that comes with moving RAs, Medical Aid etc etc... And I have truly come to appreciate being able to Double-tap the email notifications in the AOD and go straight into the email, makes things so much easier.

I don't think I can go backwards to a Smartphone without AOD. Battery life is also good with AOD, I'm surprised I can get a full day of usage with it On.
I'll be able to let you know after Sunday. Due to the lack of Internet connection, there was no way to test AOD features.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The home button is a sensor under the glass. It is hardware based and therefore always available to touch, even in apps. (A long touch is required while in app in order to bring you back to the home screen. This mimics how the physical home button works on previous models.) The other two buttons for 'back' and 'recent apps' are virtual. They are nothing but a software overlay. No sensors under them.
Yes, the entire screen projects over the buttons, including the home button. While playing a game for instance, the entire screen is filled, but the home button can still be long pressed to take you out of the app. On the home screen, the button area at the bottom was filled in with a black color, but the guy told us that it could be filled in with any color you choose. I forgot to ask if a 0% opacity could be chosen.
Actually, there was a quick way to launch the camera, even when the phone was in sleep mode. I don't remember what he did right now, but you can launch the camera super quick.
Ooooooo. :eek: Apple is not going to like that. Beaten. To. The. Punch. That embedded home button, I mean. However, Apple may manage to do that AND make it a fingerprint scanner, too, so there's that much.

At any rate this sounds like a really cool beast.

Oh that's okay about the colors. I will probably end up getting all black anyway.
[doublepost=1490723930][/doublepost]Well it seems like Samsung is making good or at least starting to make good on its promuse to get updates to unlocked phones. I finally got the March 1 security patch to my Unlocked S7, which does have an AT&T sim in it. It's still on Marshmallow.

My AT&T branded S7Edge can't get any security patches right now. I'm guessing it's because I have its sim in the S7 at the moment. But my husband has the same phone with Nougat and updated.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Awesome stuff @Lloydbm41. Thanks for answering.
[doublepost=1490725241][/doublepost]Heads up:

The word out of Korea on the day before the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+ are to be unveiled, is that Qualcomm has been having a problem turning out enough Snapdragon 835 chipsets to meet Samsung's production schedule. In addition, Samsung's own Exynos 8895 SoC, which powers its flagship phones in most parts of the world, is also suffering from production delays. The Snapdragon 835 chipset will be employed on U.S. versions of the Galaxy S8/S8+. Both chips are made using the 10nm process, which could explain the low yields achieved by Qualcomm and Samsung.

Chip issues could lead to major shortages of the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Chip...-shortages-of-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S8S8_id92522

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ooooooo. :eek: Apple is not going to like that. Beaten. To. The. Punch. That embedded home button, I mean. However, Apple may manage to do that AND make it a fingerprint scanner, too, so there's that much.

Oh that's okay about the colors. I will probably end up getting all black anyway.
[doublepost=1490723930][/doublepost]Well it seems like Samsung is making good or at least starting to make good on its promuse to get updates to unlocked phones. I finally got the March 1 security patch to my Unlocked S7, which does have an AT&T sim in it. It's still on Marshmallow.

My AT&T branded S7Edge can't get any security patches right now. I'm guessing it's because I have its sim in the S7 at the moment. But my husband has the same phone with Nougat and updated.
Think apple will put one over them based on the fingerprint scanner being part of the screen. Sadly samsung didn't quite have enough time for that.

New OS updates are quite important for me so i'm glad samsung are starting to get better at this..I know this isn't a big issue for those who upgrade their phones each year but for those who don't it's great having the new IOS update each year for those on iphone/ipad. It's something to look forward to before a new phone release IMO

Reactions: 5105973

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hopefully you will be able to customise the bixby button if you don't want bixby to launch camera instead.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
[doublepost=1490723538][/doublepost]
Sorry, I have no idea about colors. I played with the all black version.
[doublepost=1490723614][/doublepost]
I'll be able to let you know after Sunday. Due to the lack of Internet connection, there was no way to test AOD features.

Awesome, TY. So far the functional bar on the ip8 sounds less functional than this implementation.
[doublepost=1490728245][/doublepost]

That's why I think Apple's functional bar which has the fp sensor in it will be permanent, as in not part of the screen. That's where a lot of the rumors point to. Kind of crappy that we lose screen real estate, but I'm hoping Apple does something cool with the functional bar. Bets are it will be some kind of contextual information/action bar like the touchbars on the macbooks. So it may be very nice in some apps, but annoying when you want full screen like video.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Awesome, TY. So far the functional bar on the ip8 sounds less functional than this implementation.
[doublepost=1490728245][/doublepost]

That's why I think Apple's functional bar which has the fp sensor in it will be permanent, as in not part of the screen. That's where a lot of the rumors point to. Kind of crappy that we lose screen real estate, but I'm hoping Apple does something cool with the functional bar. Bets are it will be some kind of contextual information/action bar like the touchbars on the macbooks. So it may be very nice in some apps, but annoying when you want full screen like video.
this is the thing maybe we will get full screen access for things like videos.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
this is the thing maybe we will get full screen access for things like videos.

On the ip8? I'm kind of doubting it as Samsung said there needed to be a technological breakthrough in order for the fp sensor to work under the screen, and that's the reason they didn't incorporate it. Although maybe Apple has solved that issue, but seeing how much of the iPhone they farm out I have a feeling they haven't solved it and we will get a permanent function bar. Of course just rumors at this point, no one knows.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Are you 100% certain the fingerprint and iris scanner aren't both active at the same time? The Note 7 allowed both at anytime.
According to the rep, it was one or the other. But no, I can't say 100% at this time if he was right.
[doublepost=1490733143][/doublepost]
@Lloydbm41, thank you for that review! How is TouchWiz? Is the UI different? So, I wouldn't be able to have both the iris scanner and the fingerprint reader enabled at the same time?
UI felt very familiar. New iconography though. Honestly, I just didn't have enough time with the phone to remember any specific details regarding the differences between the S7 I own and the S8 wrt Touchwiz

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Awesome stuff @Lloydbm41. Thanks for answering.
[doublepost=1490725241][/doublepost]Heads up:

The word out of Korea on the day before the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+ are to be unveiled, is that Qualcomm has been having a problem turning out enough Snapdragon 835 chipsets to meet Samsung's production schedule. In addition, Samsung's own Exynos 8895 SoC, which powers its flagship phones in most parts of the world, is also suffering from production delays. The Snapdragon 835 chipset will be employed on U.S. versions of the Galaxy S8/S8+. Both chips are made using the 10nm process, which could explain the low yields achieved by Qualcomm and Samsung.

Chip issues could lead to major shortages of the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Chip...-shortages-of-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S8S8_id92522
Well, poop. Sounds like IPhone 7Plus all over again. I guess we will have to let the chips fall where they may. ~~~runs, ducking for cover from the rotten tomatoes~~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.