Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I like their cases. I have one on my Edge and the fact it's a folio style means I've not had to worry about a screen protector. Though really I haven't had one on my S7 in a clear case and it's been fine, too.
[doublepost=1490448522][/doublepost]Well for people who want colored bezels, including coral blue, there is already a third party option in screen protectors https://www.amazon.com/Coverage-Hardness-Ballistic-Protector-Samsung/dp/B06XCSH4DT

I'm not sure that's something I'd go for. :confused: It could look and function like a hot mess. The potential is high.

Moko also has a version. https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Plus-Screen-Protector-Anti-Scratch/dp/B06XMYBYMR

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I am starting to have second thoughts about the S8. If it had 6gb of RAM, that's an easier decision. However, looking at the Note 8 rumored specs, it might make sense to hold off. Plus, that iPhone Edition might be affordable with a trade in promo for me if I wait to compare my options.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Has anyone else noticed how this guy is holding the S8+? He really seems to be trying not to touch the edges because of the curved display. That is my only concern about the S8 and S8+.

galaxys8plus_mx2.jpg

galaxys8plus_mx9.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/high-res-galaxy-s8-plus-leak-shows-more-samsungs-new-software?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+androidcentral+(Android+Central)
[doublepost=1490451026][/doublepost]
I am starting to have second thoughts about the S8. If it had 6gb of RAM, that's an easier decision. However, looking at the Note 8 rumored specs, it might make sense to hold off. Plus, that iPhone Edition might be affordable with a trade in promo for me if I wait to compare my options.
I don't think 6 or 4 GB of ram makes a difference to be honest. I think Nougat changed all that going forward with Android phones.
The N8 and iphone edition should be great phones. But waiting because the S8 doesn't have 6GB of ram makes no sense to me right now.
My S7 edge runs night and day better on Nougat.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I hope so...because my S7 edge gives me a lot of false touches....but my N7 did not.
Mine isn't too bad in the case. I get more problems on my iPhone, oddly enough. I'm not sure why. I'm still trying to figure that one out!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
One the issues the S8 FP sensor will fix, is the issue of of false scanning while in my pocket due to dampness or button being pressed in. This would eventually cause a temporary lockout. Didn't happen frequently, but always at the wrong damn time on the S6 Edge and S7 Edge, and usually in warm weather. Since the new FP sensor will not be an outward button, this will prevent that from happening. Never happened with the iPhone and LG V20.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Has anyone else noticed how this guy is holding the S8+? He really seems to be trying not to touch the edges because of the curved display. That is my only concern about the S8 and S8+.

galaxys8plus_mx2.jpg

galaxys8plus_mx9.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/high-res-galaxy-s8-plus-leak-shows-more-samsungs-new-software?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+androidcentral+(Android+Central)
[doublepost=1490451026][/doublepost]
I don't think 6 or 4 GB of ram makes a difference to be honest. I think Nougat changed all that going forward with Android phones.
The N8 and iphone edition should be great phones. But waiting because the S8 doesn't have 6GB of ram makes no sense to me right now.
My S7 edge runs night and day better on Nougat.

Well, put it this way: if you paid $235 for the S7 brand new and you could trade it in for a $800-900 phone on a 2 yr contract, all you have to do is pay for taxes, you would want to get your money's worth, right?

With the iPhone X/Edition/OLED, at least I don't need to get 6gb of RAM to make it feel more premium because it will be the highest end iPhone ever made. I still feel the iPhone is overpriced, but just for tax and a S7 trade in on a 2 yr agreement makes sense for me.

With the S8, if there is a QHD HDR display, 4gb RAM, Snapdragon 835, then it becomes a more refined S7 with a bigger display.

Meanwhile, the Note 8 is rumored to come with 6gb RAM, at least a Snapdragon 835, 4K HDR capable display, 64gb internal memory + SD slot, Bixby, and all the S8 standard features. With that in mind, it makes more sense to wait because that device is going to be better for my use.

If the S8 had 6gb RAM and the same processor as the Note 8, I could've just said a 4k display coupled with the S-Pen is a fine consolation for what I gave up to get the S8.

I miss the standby battery life and the battery life of the iPhone, but outside of that, my S7 is great. It beats pretty much most aspects my old 7+ provided. So I can hold onto my S7 until I am ready to give it up via trade in.
[doublepost=1490464791][/doublepost]
One the issues the S8 FP sensor will fix, is the issue of of false scanning while in my pocket due to dampness or button being pressed in. This would eventually cause a temporary lockout. Didn't happen frequently, but always at the wrong damn time on the S6 Edge and S7 Edge, and usually in warm weather. Since the new FP sensor will not be an outward button, this will prevent that from happening. Never happened with the iPhone and LG V20.

I think there is a feature in Nougat to turn off the screen in dark spots. Might be a temporary workaround to the S7 Edge issues, but only a few days to find out about the S8/S8+. I am on the fence right now about moving on up, but I hope I don't get hyped into getting it just to have regrets when the Note 8 and iPhone OLED models are up via trade in.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well, put it this way: if you paid $235 for the S7 brand new and you could trade it in for a $800-900 phone on a 2 yr contract, all you have to do is pay for taxes, you would want to get your money's worth, right?

With the iPhone X/Edition/OLED, at least I don't need to get 6gb of RAM to make it feel more premium because it will be the highest end iPhone ever made. I still feel the iPhone is overpriced, but just for tax and a S7 trade in on a 2 yr agreement makes sense for me.

With the S8, if there is a QHD HDR display, 4gb RAM, Snapdragon 835, then it becomes a more refined S7 with a bigger display.

Meanwhile, the Note 8 is rumored to come with 6gb RAM, at least a Snapdragon 835, 4K HDR capable display, 64gb internal memory + SD slot, Bixby, and all the S8 standard features. With that in mind, it makes more sense to wait because that device is going to be better for my use.

If the S8 had 6gb RAM and the same processor as the Note 8, I could've just said a 4k display coupled with the S-Pen is a fine consolation for what I gave up to get the S8.
If you can get S7 for $235 and turn that into a $800 $900 phone.....that would be great. But you will still would have had to make payments on that S7 from when you got it till now.
The Note line has always seemed to me to be more refined and have just a little more features than the S line over the years.
Personally i do not think you will see a difference in Nougat between 4GB of ram or 6GB to be honest.
I had the OPO3t and the S7 edge at the same time and did not notice a bit of difference performance wise between them in my everyday usage. I think it is just the spec mindset of some that want to have those numbers so they feel better about a device. The performance gains are minimal with today's devices and Nougat.

Reactions: 5105973

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
If you can get S7 for $235 and turn that into a $800 $900 phone.....that would be great. But you will still would have had to make payments on that S7 from when you got it till now.
The Note line has always seemed to me to be more refined and have just a little more features than the S line over the years.
Personally i do not think you will see a difference in Nougat between 4GB of ram or 6GB to be honest.
I had the OPO3t and the S7 edge at the same time and did not notice a bit of difference performance wise between them in my everyday usage. I think it is just the spec mindset of some that want to have those numbers so they feel better about a device. The performance gains are minimal with today's devices and Nougat.

I was thinking the same thing: The difference is a psychological -- not practical -- difference. Phones are already so fast at this point even the budget friendly phones are still speedy. I think the main differentiator to judge by at this time is the camera. Not the PPI, RAM, or CPU.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was thinking the same thing: The difference is a psychological -- not practical -- difference. Phones are already so fast at this point even the budget friendly phones are still speedy. I think the main differentiator to judge by at this time is the camera. Not the PPI, RAM, or CPU.
you nailed it......Camera and user experience is everything for me.
With all the latest improvements with SOC and now with Nougat it comes down to the little details that fit one's usage and life style.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have to say I loved the feel of the Galaxy 7 last December and the 8 is very nice looking, but that money is going into a portable I can create on during my commutes.
Yeah you need to get what makes sense. lol..I have a bit of a flu bug so my vision is watery, my head is stuffed, and of course being on an Apple forum, I read your post as iCan and wondered what the heck rumor did I miss now...what's an iCan, is that what they're calling the new Apple tablet? :rolleyes:

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yeah you need to get what makes sense. lol..I have a bit of a flu bug so my vision is watery, my head is stuffed, and of course being on an Apple forum, I read your post as iCan and wondered what the heck rumor did I miss now...what's an iCan, is that what they're calling the new Apple tablet? :rolleyes:

LOL...feel better. I suppose some would debate the iCan already exists (sorry Mac Pro users!)

With the reliance on streaming and the removal of Home Video from the 10.2 TV App (and no options I can find in Android), I need a laptop for my film collection and writing offline while on the go (no not on the iCan. :D) I also want to draw again (I miss the Apple pencil so bad.)

Reactions: 5105973

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Has anyone else noticed how this guy is holding the S8+? He really seems to be trying not to touch the edges because of the curved display.
Could be holding it that way due to the camera being there? Maybe? I don't hold my s7 like that.
I gotta say, after hearing about all the false touches on the edge screens, I was initially put off, got the Note 7, no issues apart from the risk of immolation, had choice of refund or s7 edge, I'm glad I went with the s7 edge, has been a brilliant phone.
In fact this phone is what's holding me back from a S8, I'll be getting the Note 8, passing the S7 onto the missus, putting the Note 5 in the drawer as a backup :)

Reactions: jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Yep, $235 after selling the SD card I got with it for $15. I also got it outright. I just want the best phone possible and not to have regrets, especially with how hyped both 2017 main phones are expected to be.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yep, $235 after selling the SD card I got with it for $15. I also got it outright. I just want the best phone possible and not to have regrets, especially with how hyped both 2017 main phones are expected to be.
There will always be a better phone that comes out after the phone you get that's how technology works.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That's not bad pricing even though I'm looking at the currency conversion from € to $. It's Samsung so I know some sort of deals will be offered, even if it's free VR. I'd personally like another SD card.

64GB onboard storage suffices for my needs. 32 is a bit tight but 64GB is fine for all of my apps and any data that can't be stored on the SD card for some reason.

Yep, I'm liking those specs just fine. It's not as if S7 specs stink, after all.

I hoped they tweaked the camera a bit. I find color reproduction not up to the same standard I get now with my iPhone 7Plus. I can live with their usual oversaturation.

I can't stand a caramel brown hardwood floor coming out with a greenish tint, though. I'm picky that way. Someday I won't be living in this (my "dream house") anymore and when I'm in my seniors apartment, I will want a picture of my living room just the way it really looked, with caramel brown floors, not some sickly cat barf color.

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
As per the post 3 above, I don't think those dimensions are correct. They're certainly not what has been leaked in the past couple weeks...too large for the s8, too small for the s8+.

Edit: Nevermind, this does look correct. Was looking at some older rumors.
8mm thickness is interesting...My Note 5 with the 5.7" screen is 7.6 mm and the N7 and S7 are 7.9. Of course, Note 5 is 8 mm wider and 5mm taller, but surprised to see the thickness not budge, though maybe that's my fault for getting brainwashed on an Apple site, and Jony Ive's "thinner is better" mind tricks!

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
There will always be a better phone that comes out after the phone you get that's how technology works.

True, but having the best between both Samsung flagships and the iPhone OLED model is my only concern. 2018 and beyond isn't a focus and that year's phones will be inevitably better.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

My overriding concern is the size of the phone.

Right now, if I had to choose between the S8 and the iPhone Special Ed., the latter wins - 5.2" usable inches trumphs 5.8".

In the back of my mind, I do think Samsung may move the FPS back to the front come 2018.

What's it all mean then (for me)?

I will either stay on the 6s for this year or buy the iPhone Special Ed.

The S8 will be gorgeous, but with doubts about its one-handed usability...I will watch from the sidelines. I can always pick one up for much cheaper next year after the fervor has subsided. It's not going anywhere and if the FPS is moving again, all the better.

Reactions: mel823

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My overriding concern is the size of the phone.

Right now, if I had to choose between the S8 and the iPhone Special Ed., the latter wins - 5.2" usable inches trumphs 5.8".

In the back of my mind, I do think Samsung may move the FPS back to the front come 2018.

What's it all mean then (for me)?

I will either stay on the 6s for this year or buy the iPhone Special Ed.

The S8 will be gorgeous, but with doubts about its one-handed usability...I will watch from the sidelines. I can always pick one up for much cheaper next year after the fervor has subsided. It's not going anywhere and if the FPS is moving again, all the better.

What I think Samsung is aiming for is showing off its minimal bezel prowess. Getting the biggest "screen" in the smallest body. So a 5.8" screen isn't as intimidating as holding onto a Galaxy Mega because of thickness, screen size, and ergonomics.
[doublepost=1490549089][/doublepost]https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s8-launch-note-7-note-8-battery-blowup-what-change/

Cnet is at it again with burying Samsung. "If it's not an iPhone, don't buy it." - Cnet

Reactions: Demo Kit

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
What I think Samsung is aiming for is showing off its minimal bezel prowess. Getting the biggest "screen" in the smallest body. So a 5.8" screen isn't as intimidating as holding onto a Galaxy Mega because of thickness, screen size, and ergonomics.
[doublepost=1490549089][/doublepost]https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s8-launch-note-7-note-8-battery-blowup-what-change/

Cnet is at it again with burying Samsung. "If it's not an iPhone, don't buy it." - Cnet

Cnet hasn't been relevant in forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.