Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Branded US model from evleaks

a68b8bb33869a82781156a17c48d3401.jpg

Logo-less front FTW.

Happy to see Samsung truly stand behind their design and technology.

Reactions: Jetcat3

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Like what in Nougat? I have everything running stock Touchwiz. You mean disabling animations?

Nah I was just talking about more general things - e.g. volume controls, filtering spam phone calls, the hearing test/adaptive sound function...

There are so many useful things on TouchWiz.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Nah I was just talking about more general things - e.g. volume controls, filtering spam phone calls, the hearing test/adaptive sound function...

There are so many useful things on TouchWiz.

Oh, I thought there were additional steps to minimize TouchWiz's footprint so it cannot bog down over time. Is the S7 the first Galaxy device not to bog down after a year?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think I've had about 2 security updates in the past 2 years on various Samsung devices... Yet my wife (with the S7 and S6) has had 6 or 7! Bizarre.
My S7edge on TMO has the March security update. It has been getting updates pretty regularly.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Do you guys think Samsung will be offering any great iPhone for Galaxy S8(+) trade-in incentives?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Oh, I thought there were additional steps to minimize TouchWiz's footprint so it cannot bog down over time. Is the S7 the first Galaxy device not to bog down after a year?

Forget bogging down.... Once Nougat dropped, the phone genuinely improved in practically every way! (And I remember when the Lollipop update bricked loads of S5's and ruined it for a lot of people).

Samsung are learning year after year, they definitely listen to us.

If you look the S7 thread, most of us are extremely happy. OK the updates/patches are slow/variable but as a phone, my S7 Edge ticks most boxes for me and the software is perfectly good, very few complaints.

Hmm no new gear vr? Well at least it has the controller now.

I thought that was the new Gear VR? The only big change is the remote, right?

My S7edge on TMO has the March security update. It has been getting updates pretty regularly.

Lol honestly, last security patch I had was around December time. Before that I had one in the previous 8 months.

Tbh I'm not that bothered. The phone works. I don't do stupid things on it like sideloaded viruses. I'm not exactly worried. If something really bad happened, all my stuff is backed up.

Reactions: jamezr

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Forget bogging down.... Once Nougat dropped, the phone genuinely improved in practically every way! (And I remember when the Lollipop update bricked loads of S5's and ruined it for a lot of people).

If you look the S7 thread, most of us are extremely happy. OK the updates/patches are slow/variable but as a phone, my S7 Edge ticks most boxes for me and the software is perfectly good, very few complaints.

Lol honestly, last security patch I had was around December time. Before that I had one in the previous 8 months.

Tbh I'm not that bothered. The phone works. I don't do stupid things on it like sideloaded viruses. I'm not exactly worried. If something really bad happened, all my stuff is backed up.
What network are you on?

When I had my S7 edge on o2 I got three consecutive monthly updates.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
What network are you on?

When I had my S7 edge on o2 I got three consecutive monthly updates.

I'm on Three and so is my wife.

My wife's S7 has had quite a few updates. My S7 Edge, hardly any.

She even got Nougat 6 weeks before me!

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I wonder if Samsung will give any great offers for people who sent in their Note 7's.....

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Battery life could be better. Sometimes I get an occasional stutter, but I could've said that about my old 7+ too. I had some hiccups with that. Nougat is working well for me too.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
The S7 edge was the most worry free phone I've ever owned. Equipped with the best camera and screen experience I've ever had.

The s8 should be even better.

I second this. I recommend this phone anytime someone asks. Especially for people that don't care for the latest tech, the deals right now are amazing. This phone is a no brainer.

RIP Note 7.

Reactions: epicrayban

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
I've had a Note 5 since release date or so in late Summer 2015. Not slowed at all. I had an SII and Note 3, and yes, those got bogged down after a few months, but that was 5+ years ago now. No other issues at all with the phone after over 1.5 years of ownership.

And yes, Note 5 screen and camera are fantastic. Looking forward to the same size screen in the smaller form factor S8.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
My partner is using my old Note 5, it's still a great phone, shame about the lack of sd card though...

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The S7 edge was the most worry free phone I've ever owned. Equipped with the best camera and screen experience I've ever had.

The s8 should be even better.
For me, the audio quality I'd get when recording videos was amazing. When I listen on my headphones to any video I've recorded on either of my Samsungs, I feel I'm in 360 degree sound. It sounds the way I remember hearing it, with some kid's voice behind me, pond rushing to my right, bird singing to the left...that sort of sound experience.

Unfortunately for the picture quality of the video, my iPhone 7 Plus rubs its face in the dust. Panning is more smooth and fluid and free from odd artifacts on an iPhone 7 Plus. If I could have a Frankenphone it would have an IPhone's video quality and my S7 Edge audio quality. I did get a stereo external mic for my iPhone 7 Plus but nothing beats the immersiveness of my S7 sound. Unless it's a V30. I've read great things about the sound quality of a LG V30 video.

My HTC10 is great, too, but I prefer my Samsungs so far.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I've had a Note 5 since release date or so in late Summer 2015. Not slowed at all. I had an SII and Note 3, and yes, those got bogged down after a few months, but that was 5+ years ago now. No other issues at all with the phone after over 1.5 years of ownership.

And yes, Note 5 screen and camera are fantastic. Looking forward to the same size screen in the smaller form factor S8.
yep...my S7 edge has gotten better after the Nougat update. Better performance and battery life.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

You know why your Note5 didn't slowdown? It uses an Exynos SoC.

The S6 range and Note 5 were the one time in recent years that Samsung made all their phones globally with their own SoC.

I barely read about any of Samsung's 2015 Range lagging, from the S6 to the S6 Edge+ to Note 5, their only issue is Battery due to them mostly having inadequately sized batteries as Samsung was trying to slim them down as much as possible that year.

I wish Samsung would just end this crap with using Qualcomm SoCs and rely on their own hardware, it does a better job with their software.

I think the whole Qualcomm deal may have something to do with US Carriers and regulations though, so US Samsung customers will always have an inferior Samsung experience Vs. the rest of the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.