Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yup, exactly what I said when people were calling the iris scanner a gimmick. Double tap the icon, and just like that, its open before you know it. It was that fast. I think a lot of people that never experienced the Note 7 are gonna like this feature.

The majority of the time it's so fast you will not even see the Iris scanner screen. The first several days, I would wonder why my phone was unlocked, then I realized the Iris scanner was just that quick.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The majority of the time it's so fast you will not even see the Iris scanner screen. The first several days, I would wonder why my phone was unlocked, then I realized the Iris scanner was just that quick.

What is the range of the iris scanner? Will it work when lying on the desk with your face at an angle? Or do you have to be directly in front of screen?

Reactions: epicrayban

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
What is the range of the iris scanner? Will it work when lying on the desk with your face at an angle? Or do you have to be directly in front of screen?

Yes you have to be in front of the screen. I never use my phone flat on the table. I always have it docked on the wireless charger at home and work. Otherwise I'm holding it and looking at it square. The docked position was perfect for scanning. I would love the iris scanner to be used as part of a 2 step verification for any app you choose. So when the phone is unlocked, and you click on any app like your calendar/banking/messaging app, you then need to scan to open that app. That would keep things extra private. Actually, the private folder was used for just that.

Last edited:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Yes you have to be in front of the screen. I never use my phone flat on the table. I always have it docked on the wireless charger at home and work. Otherwise I'm holding it and looking at it square. The docked position was perfect for scanning. I would love the iris scanner to be used as part of a 3 step verification for any app. So when the phone is unlocked, and you click on any app like your calendar or whatsapp, you then need to scan to open the app. That would keep things extra private.

That's the main thing I'm worried about moving to the S8. I briefly had the Pixel and found it frustrating to use. I do like the idea of having the thinner bezels and larger screen, but it will take some time to adjust to changing how I use my phone. I often use it while lying flat on my desk without picking it up. Responding to texts by voice, looking at the radar, checking traffic -- there are a lot of things I use my phone for without picking it up. Maybe moving my dock closer will work.
[doublepost=1490213193][/doublepost]Also, I suppose having the on-screen home button be able to wake the phone will be better than the Pixel was in having to actually click the power button to wake it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I would say an arm's length at the most. When the phone is lying down on something, as long as your eyes are in the sensors range and not too far, it will work.

Note, at a longer distance between you and the Iris sensor, it will respond slower but still work. So using it at an arms length, it will not have that instant response and you will most likely see the Iris screen. But at a normal distance, it's instantaneous.

Also Note .... The facial recognition and Iris scanner might work together alternating between the best response. Hopefully that's how it's implemented.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's a cost thing alright, not so much that it would eat their profit margin, though that's an issue. Having a touchscreen mac would eat into their ipad sales and go against their philosophy that consumers should purchase a mac AND an ipad. Apple likes to hide that under "philosophy", but it's just a smokescreen. You can see right through that smokescreen when Cook says inane things like the ipad is a PC.

Disagree.

Apple is very transparent in what they're doing. They believe the traditional paradigm is the past and iOS is the future. That's their philosophy. That's why we won't see a touch screen Mac. Apple would likely rather you buy an iPad than a Mac, unless you're a developer.

It's also why macOS has basically gotten nothing of note in the past few years.
[doublepost=1490213895][/doublepost]
This is very cool, but severely flawed by the whole dock concept. Microsoft already gave it a shot with their own dock and continuum. It needs to be wireless. It also needs to come straight from Google, that's the only hope of reaching a large enough amount of consumers to make it matter. I've always thought some of the most innovative stuff that Samsung does should have come from Google.

But it's still cool that they are trying to expand and do different things. I've long opined that the future of smartphones is as full PC's, used as thin clients which can connect to larger screens and desktop type setups at will.
[doublepost=1490205195][/doublepost]

Wow that's quite generous. Would get me through the t ime waiting for the Note 8. I wonder how they will handle the carriers and financing, or will it be only if you buy straight from Sammie?
[doublepost=1490205325][/doublepost]

AOD still needs full notifications to be semi useful IMO. Just having those icon notifications didn't do much, certainly not much more than just having color coded led notifications.

Not only does it need to be wireless, but it can't be 30fps when wireless. I can do wireless continuum with my HP Elite X3, but it's not as smooth as a cable because of the 30fps limit.

Reactions: tbayrgs

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Well they didn't have any presence in China under jobs. However Steve was unique so if they are looking for the next Jobs they are not going to find him.
[doublepost=1490129601][/doublepost]
The G6 will not outsell the S8. Granted the iPhone 8 will be the top seller and after that the S8. LG will be lucky to sell 10 million of the G6.

However, I think Jobs is a more creative thinker. China wasn't as prominent as it is today compared to the end of the Jobs' era. OnePlus, ZTE, Huawei weren't so big. ZTE and Huawei were known as "cheap Metro PCS" manufactures here in the states.
[doublepost=1490214870][/doublepost]
If you're into the latest TouchWiz icon pack, you can download it here apparently: http://www.phonearena.com/news/You-...alaxy-S8S8-icons-on-any-Android-phone_id92296

I, of course, will be theming the crap out of my S8. =)

[doublepost=1490197817][/doublepost]Now that we're a week away, the leaks are really flowing.

galaxy_s8_plus_retail_box.jpg

At this point, we basically know what the S8 is pretty much all about. Now, Samsung just needs to confirm and then deliver on the goods.

E-Sim with the "pre-installed SIM card?" Surprised no specs listed because my S7 T-Mobile box says some specs on it. Would think the S8 box would follow suit?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
It's a cost thing alright, not so much that it would eat their profit margin, though that's an issue. Having a touchscreen mac would eat into their ipad sales and go against their philosophy that consumers should purchase a mac AND an ipad. Apple likes to hide that under "philosophy", but it's just a smokescreen. You can see right through that smokescreen when Cook says inane things like the ipad is a PC.

I definitely agree. Apple's reasoning for this, coupled with the company's lack of innovation and other ridiculous issues, is because Apple is solely lead by profits now. Tim Cook needs to step down because he is not healthy for the company.

I purchased my 6S+ last September, but I'm so tempted to get the S8 when it launches. I'm so eager to leave the Apple ecosystem because I've been unhappy with the company for a while.

I just hope Samsung has greatly improved TouchWiz.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I definitely agree. Apple's reasoning for this, coupled with the company's lack of innovation and other ridiculous issues, is because Apple is solely lead by profits now. Tim Cook needs to step down because he is not healthy for the company.

I purchased my 6S+ last September, but I'm so tempted to get the S8 when it launches. I'm so eager to leave the Apple ecosystem because I've been unhappy with the company for a while.

As a public company, Apple is driven by a board that answers to shareholders. Tim Cook's replacement wouldn't change that. Tim has done a great job at maximizing profits while minimizing costs. The CEO of a company doesn't invent products -- they empower the talent below them to do what benefits the company and shareholders.

Apple lost me almost 5 years ago to Windows. After more than a decade of Mac ownership I now build my own PCs and use Windows, and prefer it. I've gone back and forth from iPhone to Android over the years, but I will likely stay with Android with the S8 because I'm tired of being locked into iTunes for file transfers (wallpapers and ringtones) to my phone. I hate iTunes and don't use or want any Apple media services. If Apple had kept me as a Mac owner I'd likely feel different about that.

Reactions: Demo Kit

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
As a public company, Apple is driven by a board that answers to shareholders. Tim Cook's replacement wouldn't change that. Tim has done a great job at maximizing profits while minimizing costs. The CEO of a company doesn't invent products -- they empower the talent below them to do what benefits the company and shareholders.

Apple lost me almost 5 years ago to Windows. After more than a decade of Mac ownership I now build my own PCs and use Windows, and prefer it. I've gone back and forth from iPhone to Android over the years, but I will likely stay with Android with the S8 because I'm tired of being locked into iTunes for file transfers (wallpapers and ringtones) to my phone. I hate iTunes and don't use or want any Apple media services. If Apple had kept me as a Mac owner I'd likely feel different about that.
I have a similar story....Mac user since late 90s. But replaced my aging iMac with a HP AIO that is simply amazing and $500 cheaper with better specs and performance of current iMacs. Replaced my MBP with a MS Surface Book recently and am amazed by it everyday. I have had every iPhone since day one. Will probably get the next one too. This is the first time since 98 I do not have a iMac or MB/MBP in the house.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm surprised there isn't a gold option, too. They've had one for the S6 and S7 models.
[doublepost=1490198189][/doublepost]I really hope they expand Always On Display's capabilities. On the S7E, it was practically useless. I never even bothered with it.

And the gold S8 makes an appearance...

C7jecB_VUAAfS8y.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/844675932715671552
[doublepost=1490224706][/doublepost]
Don't know whether its just me, but every 'leak' and 'render' I've seen of this phone looks awful.
Like the attempt at a bezel-less design just doesn't look right to me.

Hope the actual final reveal is nicer than what I've seen anyways.

I say this, but the S8 isn't really high on my priority list in terms of mobiles. The only Samsung phone I've ever liked is the Note 7, RIP.

What about the official renders? I think it looks gorgeous in all color variations. I'm even considering the "gray not purple" one when so far I've only ever bought black devices. :D

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
And the gold S8 makes an appearance...

C7jecB_VUAAfS8y.jpg:orig

The Black fronts make sense because it makes the sensors less noticeable. But Gold with a Black front is not a good combination IMHO. I would want Gold all the way around. I had the Gold S6 Edge and loved having Gold on the front. It's just something about the shine of Gold (even if matte) that doesn't sit well with a Black front.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

But why not make good profits and keep the right people in charge to make good products instead of mediocre ones? Phil Schiller shouldn't have a marketing job when he keeps on dismissing modern PC features like touchscreens. Mac OS is capable of being tweaked for a touchscreen. The iPad is a stagnant market because people don't want to get tablets as frequently. An iPad Pro cannot replace a PC either. Someone has to bring in a new perspective and replace Johnny Ive too.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Disagree.

Apple is very transparent in what they're doing. They believe the traditional paradigm is the past and iOS is the future. That's their philosophy. That's why we won't see a touch screen Mac. Apple would likely rather you buy an iPad than a Mac, unless you're a developer.

It's also why macOS has basically gotten nothing of note in the past few years.
[doublepost=1490213895][/doublepost]

Not only does it need to be wireless, but it can't be 30fps when wireless. I can do wireless continuum with my HP Elite X3, but it's not as smooth as a cable because of the 30fps limit.

It's all good, we can agree to disagree. iOS is simply a dumbed down OS which was necessary in the days when we needed a light, thin device with all day battery life. Compared to the windows tablets of the time the ipad was incredible, absolutely stunning. In the intervening time iOS has progressed very little, especially toward the "PC" direction. But at the same time competitors, namely windows, have progressed at a very rapid pace and now have a very comparable yet highly superior product. Please note this is MY OPINION only, and my opinion is geared towards how I use my tablet. I'm not trying to dissuade you if the ipad fits your wants and needs. But the need for iOS is no longer here, we have full windows tablets that are light, thin, and have all day battery life.

I do agree that the lack of a touchscreen mac is so you will buy an ipad, but I would add that Apple also counts on you buying the MacBook as well. I know studies from a couple of years ago established that the vast majority of ipad owners also owned a laptop, but I'm not sure how those numbers pan out today, but I'd be curious. If Apple truly felt iOS was the future then they would just put iOS into their macbooks and desktops as well. No they like to have the market split so they can make their money twice, very smart company.

I definitely agree that wireless needs to be well done, and we haven't seen that yet. Hopefully that's on someone's radar. Although I must say projecting my surface pro 4 onto my 40" 4k monitor wirelessly is quite smooth and works well. But that's not a phone, I'm still waiting for that product to materialize.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Goff

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
But why not make good profits and keep the right people in charge to make good products instead of mediocre ones? Phil Schiller shouldn't have a marketing job when he keeps on dismissing modern PC features like touchscreens. Mac OS is capable of being tweaked for a touchscreen. The iPad is a stagnant market because people don't want to get tablets as frequently. An iPad Pro cannot replace a PC either. Someone has to bring in a new perspective and replace Johnny Ive too.

I completely agree with you that Apple should be doing more to innovate, I just don't think it's any one person driving it. I think that current success has created the current culture and there is no incentive for them to change. They're making so much money there is no real need to change the current path.

One can only hope that competition will drive Apple to implement better features in products, as it has been for years. It always seems that Android features slowly trickle down to iOS.

It seems that Samsung holds the position that Apple used to as the market driver of new smartphone features.
[doublepost=1490232929][/doublepost]
As usual, very well said. I buy an iPhone in spite of the large bezels. I'm fact, the last 3 phones I've purchased (iPhone, Pixel XL, Nexus 6P) have probably the largest bezels found on recent smartphones. The predominant driving force behind my choice of smartphone is the software. If bezels were that important to me, I'd have purchased any number of other phones long ago.

But up until now, there wasn't really that big of a difference in bezel size between devices. The S8 and iPhone are substantially different. Of course some people will only purchase an iPhone regardless of hardware differences, but for many other consumers, who are comparison shopping, I can't fathom that this summer they'll walk into a store to look at what's new and not feel that the iPhone is an unattractive option when comparing to the S8 and G6.

Of course that may not last long, if the next iPhone has slimmer bezels as well.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The Black fronts make sense because it makes the sensors less noticeable. But Gold with a Black front is not a good combination IMHO. I would want Gold all the way around. I had the Gold S6 Edge and loved having Gold on the front. It's just something about the shine of Gold (even if matte) that doesn't sit well with a Black front.
I had the S5 with a gold back and black front and I actually liked it. I'm really hoping that they have this combo for the S8 and that it comes to the UK and isn't reserved for China.

7B7AB06D-BD04-40EF-AADF-7CA3B7EC2236.jpg

2166AA1B-FF54-4777-850A-37B30BF890F1.jpg

I briefly had the S7 edge in gold, replacement for my pink edge from the insurance company as they didn't have any pink models in stock and I didn't like the gold front.

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

TouchWiz is perfectly good. It's not as super speedy as the Pixel but tbh TouchWiz on the S7 is more fully formed, mature and useful as a PHONE than pure Android is on the Pixel.

Nougat has made a difference too, for sure. You have to tweak some settings but frankly, you have to do that in iOS now too.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
TouchWiz is perfectly good. It's not as super speedy as the Pixel but tbh TouchWiz on the S7 is more fully formed, mature and useful as a PHONE than pure Android is on the Pixel.

Nougat has made a difference too, for sure. You have to tweak some settings but frankly, you have to do that in iOS now too.

Agreed. Back in the day when I occasionally tried out my brother's older Samsungs, TouchWiz was a serious mess that was almost unusable for someone accustomed to pure Android. However, with my S7 Edge I haven't changed even the launcher. It's much better than it used to be. Security updates, on the other hand...

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Agreed. Back in the day when I occasionally tried out my brother's older Samsungs, TouchWiz was a serious mess that was almost unusable for someone accustomed to pure Android. However, with my S7 Edge I haven't changed even the launcher. It's much better than it used to be. Security updates, on the other hand...

I think I've had about 2 security updates in the past 2 years on various Samsung devices... Yet my wife (with the S7 and S6) has had 6 or 7! Bizarre.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But up until now, there wasn't really that big of a difference in bezel size between devices. The S8 and iPhone are substantially different. Of course some people will only purchase an iPhone regardless of hardware differences, but for many other consumers, who are comparison shopping, I can't fathom that this summer they'll walk into a store to look at what's new and not feel that the iPhone is an unattractive option when comparing to the S8 and G6.

Of course that may not last long, if the next
iPhone has slimmer bezels as well.

Respectfully disagree. Samsung phones have had noticeably smaller bezels and more efficient designs for years and dramatically so since the S6 edge. Same goes for LG and many Motos. For customers that prioritize that and device size, they very well would've switched years ago.

A great many iPhone users but it because 1) it's an iPhone and 2) it's an iPhone. ;) In all seriousness though, they're not obsessing over the display type, bezel size, or any other spec for that matter. They have an iPhone now, they know it to use it, their friends or colleagues have one and it does what they want it to do. They're probably more concerned with the look and design of the case they're going to put it in than the actual phone itself. :p

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
What about the official renders? I think it looks gorgeous in all color variations. I'm even considering the "gray not purple" one when so far I've only ever bought black devices. :D

Yup, official renders are indeed lovely.

Do worry about the feel in hand though, especially with the finger scanner on the back which is not to my personal tastes at all.
I've always found it to be the worst place for it after owning the Pixel.

But that purpley grey is absolutely stunning.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Like what in Nougat? I have everything running stock Touchwiz. You mean disabling animations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.