Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The black one may be too irresistible. More pics here:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/A-Sa...t-poses-for-a-detailed-hands-on-video_id92391

chmkj1jti-siqxtzaaicwvkj_eiaabaigepn1waahxy859.jpg

Nooo, stop it. I must hold out until the Note.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I've been trying to decide between this and she LG G6. I was going to skip LG because of the storage but the FP scanner on the S8 is really killing it for me.

Reactions: geoff5093

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I've been trying to decide between this and she LG G6. I was going to skip LG because of the storage but the FP scanner on the S8 is really killing it for me.

I would wait to see how improved the iris scanner and facial recognition is first

That and I honestly think the placement won't be that difficult to get used to. Back fingerprint sensors have their own advantages (and disadvantages). As for the off-center placement, depending on the hand you use, that could get awkward, but nothing that should be a dealbreaker.

We're all different so that's just my two cents. I recommend giving it a shot if you're interested in the S8. And hopefully IRIS and facial recognition is reliable enough to not even think about the FPS.

EDIT: I think the G6 is a great counter option to Samsung, though.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm left handed and usually keep the phone in my left pocket and shift it to my right hand and hold it with my right hand to either thumb type with my right thumb on a small phone or use my left finger to navigate phablet sized phones. I'm not sure if that's a typical lefty way of using a smart phone or a right handed way or some weird ambidextrous thing unique to me.

It's confusing because I do some things right handed, like using the computer mouse. I sculpt and do art work or sewing with either hand, golf (very comically) left handed or right handed depending on what I feel like at the moment. Eat and brush teeth with left hand exclusively. Write with either hand, but mostly the left. Fight ambidextrously...for exercise and self defense training, I'm not THAT grumpy. ;) It's going to be interesting watching me get acclimated to this new phone if I get it. :confused:

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm left handed and usually keep the phone in my left pocket and shift it to my right hand and hold it with my right hand to either thumb type with my right thumb on a small phone or use my left finger to navigate phablet sized phones. I'm not sure if that's a typical lefty way of using a smart phone or a right handed way or some weird ambidextrous thing unique to me.

It's confusing because I do some things right handed, like using the computer mouse. I sculpt and do art work or sewing with either hand, golf (very comically) left handed or right handed depending on what I feel like at the moment. Eat and brush teeth with left hand exclusively. Write with either hand, but mostly the left. Fight ambidextrously...for exercise and self defense training, I'm not THAT grumpy. ;) It's going to be interesting watching me get acclimated to this new phone if I get it. :confused:

If you're so versatile, I think you'll have even less issue adjusting to the new sensor location. :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I wonder if the 3 month return window is going to be a forever offer. Or if it's only for the launch period?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Stunning. Anyone know how thick it is supposed to be? I'm curious if it's thicker than the ip7+. yeah I know battery life, but personally I'd rather have svelte.
[doublepost=1490391159][/doublepost]
Nooo, stop it. I must hold out until the Note.

Yeah I'm going to hold out as well, I do every year. Did you hear the latest rumor on the N7? 6.4" 4k screen!! Just an unverified rumor though, but you know Samsung has to pull out the big guns if they want to top the S8 plus. At 6.4" I may just stop asking for a foldable tablet.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I'm a lefty and do similar.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Did you hear the latest rumor on the N7? 6.4" 4k screen!! Just an unverified rumor though, but you know Samsung has to pull out the big guns if they want to top the S8 plus. At 6.4" I may just stop asking for a foldable tablet.

4k display? Nah.. kind of doubt that.

What makes the Note stand out is the S-Pen along with the functionality it provides and bigger display. I do miss the N7, I do feel they have to try win back the public trust.. having a 4K display is for the tech enthusiast.

The screen was already gorgeous on the N7, I don't think much is needed for the upcoming N8... just try to avoid what happen last time and definitely throw in some freebies.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Stunning. Anyone know how thick it is supposed to be? I'm curious if it's thicker than the ip7+. yeah I know battery life, but personally I'd rather have svelte.
[doublepost=1490391159][/doublepost]

Yeah I'm going to hold out as well, I do every year. Did you hear the latest rumor on the N7? 6.4" 4k screen!! Just an unverified rumor though, but you know Samsung has to pull out the big guns if they want to top the S8 plus. At 6.4" I may just stop asking for a foldable tablet.
Oh I definitely have been following the Note 8 rumors. They sound amazing. It's going to be a fun year for smartphone fans!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
4k display? Nah.. kind of doubt that.

What makes the Note stand out is the S-Pen along with the functionality it provides and bigger display. I do miss the N7, I do feel they have to try win back the public trust.. having a 4K display is for the tech enthusiast.

The screen was already gorgeous on the N7, I don't think much is needed for the upcoming N8... just try to avoid what happen last time and definitely throw in some freebies.

I'm a big fan of VR, Samsung did a great job with it and was ahead of the pack when no one else did VR. 4k in VR would be a huge upgrade, of course ignoring processor power and battery life for a second. But I must say I was very impressed with some of the Samsung VR games and apps.

I do agree that 4k is a longshot, but maybe not as much of a longshot as we think.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

THAT SETTLES IT ..... GETTING THE BLACK!!!

I'm a big fan of VR, Samsung did a great job with it and was ahead of the pack when no one else did VR. 4k in VR would be a huge upgrade, of course ignoring processor power and battery life for a second. But I must say I was very impressed with some of the Samsung VR games and apps.

I do agree that 4k is a longshot, but maybe not as much of a longshot as we think.

Same here. VR is amazing. And to think it's still in it's infancy stage is even more impressive.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The speaker looks different on this pic compared to other leaks.. looks more like an iphone

That's the fake "dummy" one that keeps getting passed off as the real deal. You can also tell that the flash on back looks different than the official renders that have leaked recently.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys VR. It's not an Apple thing so it doesn't get much love on this site, understandably. I remember thinking VR on a phone was lame myself and saying so on an MR thread. But Samsung has done quite a good job evolving it to where its decent enough to enjoy. I'm hoping to see more content that's not so scary. I want more tours of famous places.

I love the haunted house ones but I won't go into them without my husband's older sister doing it first. :eek: Hubby can't stand her in the way little brothers can't stand big sisters so I've claimed her as MY big sis and she has to test all the haunted houses first! And she has to be in the room with me when I do the haunted houses because I get too freaked out otherwise. It has to be Sis. It doesn't help if it's anybody else. She's been promised one of my Samsungs and my headset if I upgrade.

But she can't play too long or she gets a headache. The whole family has that problem but me. But I'm the one with migraines. :confused:??? The funny thing is I can use VR while having a migraine and feel better. But when I take it off, I feel bad again and the migraine comes back. (I tried that as an experiment once). Fortunately VR has not yet given me a headache or nausea. It can make me a little dizzy sometimes, that's about it. And it overheats my phones often.

Reactions: spinedoc77

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
And here are all three colors, including the Arctic Silver:
http://m.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s8-leaked-illustrious-purple-and-silver-colors

galaxy-s8-all-colors-leaked-renders.jpg

The silver looks to be more of an understated brushed look rather than the hyper-glossy silver of the Galaxy S7. All of the colors have corresponding color-matched metal frames.

Seriously, they all look good.

I'm not a purple guy for many things, but that orchid gray does look good!

I think the FPS may move back to the front for the 2018 phone once Samsung figures out how.

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
That and I honestly think the placement won't be that difficult to get used to. Back fingerprint sensors have their own advantages (and disadvantages). As for the off-center placement, depending on the hand you use, that could get awkward, but nothing that should be a dealbreaker.

We're all different so that's just my two cents. I recommend giving it a shot if you're interested in the S8. And hopefully IRIS and facial recognition is reliable enough to not even think about the FPS.

EDIT: I think the G6 is a great counter option to Samsung, though.

I wouldn't dream of buying anything until both are out and reviewed.

But nothing is going to make me like the FP scanner being right next to the camera lens. Nothing. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.