Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's only one guys opinion though

Samsung phones aren't for everybody and battery life is a legit point to be concerned about.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If anyone is wondering what will happen to the double-tap to launch the camera function, it's now in the power button. No surprises there.

http://www.androidauthority.com/lea...-image-reveals-camera-launch-shortcut-759637/

Double-tap to launch the camera was one of my favorite features of the S7 Edge. Fast, reliable, and simple.

A big part of why I say the S7 Edge camera is the best is not just for the pictures it takes, but for the whole camera experience in general. It was quick to launch, easy to access settings, and easy to customize and reorder the types of shots you wanted when you swiped left.

I'm hopeful the S8 will continue that camera experience legacy.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Attachments

• mkbhd_tweet.PNG
    mkbhd_tweet.PNG
    50 KB · Views: 151

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So what's everyone's prediction on US prices?

I'm going to go with... $799 and $899.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I am interested in seeing the Dex stand in action. Might be amazing for mobile gaming on the big screen. Gaming while casting has lag, so depending how good Dex is, it might be worth it.

I agree. that'll be cool. I remember being excited about this concept when I bought the Motorola Atrix several years ago. Sadly, that implementation wasn't up to snuff but tech has evolved enough so that maybe Dex will be an attractive option.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I agree. that'll be cool. I remember being excited about this concept when I bought the Motorola Atrix several years ago. Sadly, that implementation wasn't up to snuff but tech has evolved enough so that maybe Dex will be an attractive option.
I had the Atrix and lapdock too! It just didn't live up to it's potential :)

Reactions: MRU and co.ag.2005

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Well, got to play with the S8 today (not the plus model). I can confirm a few things. There are NO stereo speakers (like the iPhone 7 has. In other words, there is no sound generated from the earpiece. Only from the bottom speaker, but it is loud as fu....!)

The screen is beautiful (still at 2k resolution unfortunately), even in the new wide screen format. I did not find the curved edges distracting in the least. I can't recall now, but I think the curves were less pronounced than the S7 Edge model.

I could not test out Bixby (but the button on the left side of the phone, under the volume buttons is for Bixby), since the phone is not allowed to use a data connection until the 29th.

The new AKG earphones that come with the phone are much, much nicer than any other earphones I have seen that come packaged with a phone. The sound quality is extremely good. The fit is comfortable. I hated the stock ones that came with the iphone and the Galaxy S7/Note 7. The headphones are similar to the Apple style, with a volume adjuster below where the wires split.

The 'virtual' buttons at the bottom of the phone work like this: The home button in the center is actually under the screen and will work all the time (it is hardware based), in any app, just like the home button functioned on previous models (this includes holding down the "button" and bringing up Google Assistant!) The buttons to the left and right of the home button are software based and can be altered. (I was not allowed to adjust the virtual buttons to test this feature out).
There is no '3D touch'. It is a long hold on an app icon and then several options for the app come up. (If you use Nova launcher, it is very similar to how it works with that).

The camera app comes with a lot of new features. Ive seen people with iphones using those camera apps that add cartoony ears, noses and crap like that to their faces for selfies. Well, teh camera app comes stock with that feature too. One very cool thing that the camera does have is the ability to look at something and eaither search the internet for similar items OR go straight to Amazon and give you the option to buy the item and/or see how much it costs. (I could not test this out, as the phone did not have a connection to the internet).

The fingerprint scanner is on the back, as all the pics have shown. Without a case on the phone, you will constantly touch the camera lens. Once I put a case on the phone, I didn't have any issues. The opening on the case makes it very easy to guide your finger right to the scanner and not smear the camera lens. But I think a case is going to be mandatory.

To unlock the phone, you can use the Iris scanner, face recognition or the fingerprint scanner. You CAN NOT use these funtions simultaneously however. I tested out the facial recognition and it worked extremely fast and flawlessly. Apparently, the sensor on the front scans using depth, so it cant be fooled by a picture of someones face. The iris scanner works well with glasses and in darker environments.

It does use Bluetooth 5.0. It does use USB-C. It does have a headphone jack. It only has 4gb of RAM. The phone comes standard with 64gb of memory (expandable though, so you can add up to 256gb sd cards).

Lastly, the promo that will be offered with the phone for pre-order is: For an extra $100 you can get a 256gb sd card, a new Gear VR WITH controller and over the ear style AKG headphones (I don't know which model).

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them, but I only got to play with the phone for about 10 minutes and I did not test out every feature. I receive training on the phone from our Samsung rep this coming Sunday, so may be able to answer more after that.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well, got to play with the S8 today (not the plus model). I can confirm a few things. There are NO stereo speakers (like the iPhone 7 has. In other words, there is no sound generated from the earpiece. Only from the bottom speaker, but it is loud as fu....!)

The screen is beautiful (still at 2k resolution unfortunately), even in the new wide screen format. I did not find the curved edges distracting in the least. I can't recall now, but I think the curves were less pronounced than the S7 Edge model.

I could not test out Bixby (but the button on the left side of the phone, under the volume buttons is for Bixby), since the phone is not allowed to use a data connection until the 29th.

The new AKG earphones that come with the phone are much, much nicer than any other earphones I have seen that come packaged with a phone. The sound quality is extremely good. The fit is comfortable. I hated the stock ones that came with the iphone and the Galaxy S7/Note 7. The headphones are similar to the Apple style, with a volume adjuster below where the wires split.

The 'virtual' buttons at the bottom of the phone work like this: The home button in the center is actually under the screen and will work all the time (it is hardware based), in any app, just like the home button functioned on previous models (this includes holding down the "button" and bringing up Google Assistant!) The buttons to the left and right of the home button are software based and can be altered. (I was not allowed to adjust the virtual buttons to test this feature out).
There is no '3D touch'. It is a long hold on an app icon and then several options for the app come up. (If you use Nova launcher, it is very similar to how it works with that).

The camera app comes with a lot of new features. Ive seen people with iphones using those camera apps that add cartoony ears, noses and crap like that to their faces for selfies. Well, teh camera app comes stock with that feature too. One very cool thing that the camera does have is the ability to look at something and eaither search the internet for similar items OR go straight to Amazon and give you the option to buy the item and/or see how much it costs. (I could not test this out, as the phone did not have a connection to the internet).

The fingerprint scanner is on the back, as all the pics have shown. Without a case on the phone, you will constantly touch the camera lens. Once I put a case on the phone, I didn't have any issues. The opening on the case makes it very easy to guide your finger right to the scanner and not smear the camera lens. But I think a case is going to be mandatory.

To unlock the phone, you can use the Iris scanner, face recognition or the fingerprint scanner. You CAN NOT use these funtions simultaneously however. I tested out the facial recognition and it worked extremely fast and flawlessly. Apparently, the sensor on the front scans using depth, so it cant be fooled by a picture of someones face. The iris scanner works well with glasses and in darker environments.

It does use Bluetooth 5.0. It does use USB-C. It does have a headphone jack. It only has 4gb of RAM. The phone comes standard with 64gb of memory (expandable though, so you can add up to 256gb sd cards).

Lastly, the promo that will be offered with the phone for pre-order is: For an extra $100 you can get a 256gb sd card, a new Gear VR WITH controller and over the ear style AKG headphones (I don't know which model).

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them, but I only got to play with the phone for about 10 minutes and I did not test out every feature. I receive training on the phone from our Samsung rep this coming Sunday, so may be able to answer more after that.
great stuff

how does the face recognition work? do you have to scroll up to use that way of unlocking like with the iris scanner in the note 7?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
great stuff

how does the face recognition work? do you have to scroll up to use that way of unlocking like with the iris scanner in the note 7?
Nope. Simply look at the phone and it unlocks. It was as fast as using a fingerprint scanner. And very accurate. I probably wouldn't use it as my main way to unlock the phone though, since it won't work in dark rooms or when it is dark outside. Iris scanner or fingerprint for me.

Reactions: epicrayban

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Nope. Simply look at the phone and it unlocks. It was as fast as using a fingerprint scanner. And very accurate. I probably wouldn't use it as my main way to unlock the phone though, since it won't work in dark rooms or when it is dark outside. Iris scanner or fingerprint for me.

Are you 100% certain the fingerprint and iris scanner aren't both active at the same time? The Note 7 allowed both at anytime.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
@Lloydbm41, thank you for that review! How is TouchWiz? Is the UI different? So, I wouldn't be able to have both the iris scanner and the fingerprint reader enabled at the same time?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Promos you get are insane compared to here.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Yeah we get screwed especially when you factor that we pay more for the device in Europe than the States anyway.
No kidding! A deal like that I would have taken in a heartbeat, but hey at least I got a gear VR with my s7 last time.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.