Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Last year when I was using using the loaner gold S7 AT&T gave me, sun hit the shInu gold bezels and gave me a nasty few minutes of spots in my vision. So I knew I wanted a black S7 eventually, after that. But I could not resist getting the silver S7 Edge that made me fall in love with the Samsung design to begin with. I have no regrets, but I'm careful out in the sunlight with it. :p

I'm hoping these pics are real because it really does making choosing something other than black less of a dilemma if you want the unbroken clean look to the front.

Though honestly I did think the white one with white bezels was kind of cute. In a VW Bug cute kind of way.
[doublepost=1490152536][/doublepost]
I have fairly large hands and tried to duplicate the functionality on my 7 plus. It's difficult to get my index finger in that spot with my left hand for reasons different than what I thought. What I find is that my index finger is too far in, and I actually have to double it back to hit that spot to the side of the camera, and even then it's almost impossible to lay my index finger flat. Very unwieldy and a recipe for a dropped phone IMO. This is with a larger phone though so I'll withhold judgement until I hold a S8 in hand.

I still think it was a poor decision, but just my personal opinion. Just one point that gets taken away from Samsung and given to Apple in my mental tug of war of which phone to buy.
[doublepost=1490152290][/doublepost]

No I think it's pretty obvious the G6 wouldn't outsell the S8, but it does add one more choice for consumers and a significantly cheaper one. I think LG may take a larger bit out of Samsung this year than last year.
If I could have only one, between my iPhone 7Plus and a new Samsung or one of my existing Samsungs I am sad to say I would choose the iPhone because its camera is specced out and working to my satisfaction, finally. And the iOS is still good to use. I'm having some reliability problems but they should resolved when the beta testing is all finished. They're not horrible problems by any means, just annoying. And I am unfortunately stuck with iMessage for the rest of the school year. That's all the teachers and other parents seem to be using.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I wish Apple could get off its "margins are everything" approach. It really makes Apple less innovative. We should have Touch Screened Macs right now. Instead, we have bulky iPhone 7+s with very little effort put into them. It might be time for Apple to give Tim Cook the hook because he is approving these mediocre product concepts like the Touch Bar.

Not having a Touch Screen Mac is a philosophy thing, not a cost thing. The fact that every single Windows computer (most of them anyway) has a touch screen means more get made and costs go down.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Not having a Touch Screen Mac is a philosophy thing, not a cost thing. The fact that every single Windows computer (most of them anyway) has a touch screen means more get made and costs go down.
Actually, I believe it is a profits thing and driven by the board of directors more than anything. Otherwise, this new red iPhone wouldn't have been put together in the cheapest and laziest way possible. They literally took a silver iPhone and anodized the back plate red. Nothing more. No effort put into it at all. I mean, why not create a front plate that is red??? Or at the very least, use a black front and use a red anodized ring around the fingerprint scanner? Something to truly make it unique. But alas, Apple is to cheap or lazy to bother.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

It's a cost thing alright, not so much that it would eat their profit margin, though that's an issue. Having a touchscreen mac would eat into their ipad sales and go against their philosophy that consumers should purchase a mac AND an ipad. Apple likes to hide that under "philosophy", but it's just a smokescreen. You can see right through that smokescreen when Cook says inane things like the ipad is a PC.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's a cost thing alright, not so much that it would eat their profit margin, though that's an issue. Having a touchscreen mac would eat into their ipad sales and go against their philosophy that consumers should purchase a mac AND an ipad. Apple likes to hide that under "philosophy", but it's just a smokescreen. You can see right through that smokescreen when Cook says inane things like the ipad is a PC.
It's a PC but not a mac ;)

Reactions: spinedoc77

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Closer look at the Orchid Gray. And one in the wild apparently (S8+).

qunZlLBl.png

kkCXOzAl.png

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It doesn't look very purple to me.

Yeah, it's only the slightest hint. It's really more gray, which I think looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see it in person to fully judge.

For now, I'm really torn between the black and silver. Silver because I had a silver S7 Edge and I loved it, so if this silver is more of an understated brushed look, that should be even nicer. And of course, the black needs little to no explanation -- it's just downright gorgeous and slick.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, it's only the slightest hint. It's really more gray, which I think looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see it in person to fully judge.

For now, I'm really torn between the black and silver. Silver because I had a silver S7 Edge and I loved it, so if this silver is more of an understated brushed look, that should be even more gorgeous. And of course, the black needs little to no explanation -- it's just downright gorgeous and slick.

I actually really dig the Orchid Gray---it's quite subtle (not something typically in Samsung's vocabulary ;)) and very unique amongst any tech devices. I'm always a sucker for simple, deep black but if I was considering a S8, I might very well go Orchid Gray.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

For now, I'm really torn between the black and silver. Silver because I had a silver S7 Edge and I loved it, so if this silver is more of an understated brushed look, that should be even more gorgeous. And of course, the black needs little to no explanation -- it's just downright gorgeous and slick.
I can't believe they don't have gold for China at least.

If they all have black fronts then silver would be my preference.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Nothing new, but sharing anyway: https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/...1080p/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Galaxy S8 to offer WQHD+ resolution but default to 1080p

Galaxy-S8-display-settings-1280x764.png

[doublepost=1490194897][/doublepost]
So the new rumor is that Sammy may be offering a verty generous return policy with the S8/S8+. Full refund, no questions asked after 3 months. Amazing if true.

http://m.theinvestor.co.kr/view.php?ud=20170322000693

Does that mean an unlocked version will be for sale on day one? Because that'd be incredible.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If you're into the latest TouchWiz icon pack, you can download it here apparently: http://www.phonearena.com/news/You-...alaxy-S8S8-icons-on-any-Android-phone_id92296

I, of course, will be theming the crap out of my S8. =)

[doublepost=1490197817][/doublepost]Now that we're a week away, the leaks are really flowing.

galaxy_s8_plus_retail_box.jpg

At this point, we basically know what the S8 is pretty much all about. Now, Samsung just needs to confirm and then deliver on the goods.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Defiantly not for me unless it's dramatically different in the flesh.

Will probably be the silver. I wish there was gold though. Gold and black would be great like I had on my S5.

I'm surprised there isn't a gold option, too. They've had one for the S6 and S7 models.
[doublepost=1490198189][/doublepost]I really hope they expand Always On Display's capabilities. On the S7E, it was practically useless. I never even bothered with it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/22/samsung-desktop-experience-station-galaxy-s8/

This is Samsung’s Desktop Experience Station for the Galaxy S8

This is very cool, but severely flawed by the whole dock concept. Microsoft already gave it a shot with their own dock and continuum. It needs to be wireless. It also needs to come straight from Google, that's the only hope of reaching a large enough amount of consumers to make it matter. I've always thought some of the most innovative stuff that Samsung does should have come from Google.

But it's still cool that they are trying to expand and do different things. I've long opined that the future of smartphones is as full PC's, used as thin clients which can connect to larger screens and desktop type setups at will.
[doublepost=1490205195][/doublepost]
So the new rumor is that Sammy may be offering a very generous return policy with the S8/S8+. Full refund, no questions asked after 3 months. Amazing if true.

http://m.theinvestor.co.kr/view.php?ud=20170322000693

Wow that's quite generous. Would get me through the t ime waiting for the Note 8. I wonder how they will handle the carriers and financing, or will it be only if you buy straight from Sammie?
[doublepost=1490205325][/doublepost]
As long as AOD has whatsapp icon for messages

AOD still needs full notifications to be semi useful IMO. Just having those icon notifications didn't do much, certainly not much more than just having color coded led notifications.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
AOD still needs full notifications to be semi useful IMO. Just having those icon notifications didn't do much, certainly not much more than just having color coded led notifications.
My feelings too AOD notifications need to be actionable for it to be useful for me.....

The LED lights were more useful imho....at least I can glance at my phone and see which notification it is...green for email...it can wait...nothing important. Blue for a text message and I better pick up my phone and get that....

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My feelings too AOD notifications need to be actionable for it to be useful for me.....

The LED lights were more useful imho....at least I can glance at my phone and see which notification it is...green for email...it can wait...nothing important. Blue for a text message and I better pick up my phone and get that....
From what I understand you can click the notification on AOD to see it by putting in your fingerprint

Reactions: jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
From what I understand you can click the notification on AOD to see it by putting in your fingerprint

On the Note 7, clicking the icon on the AOD would open the notification within the app instantly, cause of the IRIS scanner. :D

As I remember, you have to double tap.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
On the Note 7, clicking the icon on the AOD would open the notification within the app instantly, cause of the IRIS scanner. :D

As I remember, you have to double tap.

Yup, exactly what I said when people were calling the iris scanner a gimmick. Double tap the icon, and just like that, its open before you know it. It was that fast. I think a lot of people that never experienced the Note 7 are gonna like this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.