Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not for me, I most often use my phone flat on a desk so it's a huge pain to pick it up and activate the fp sensor every time I want to turn it on. It's also a slightly smaller pain to actually have to stand up and put my face in front of it, or lift it up to my face every time I want to turn it on.

Of course my solution with android has always been to setup a proximity lock, which turns off security while it's on my work wifi. It's not the most secure solution, but I suppose it works if you are willing to give up security.

Very similar to my usage...lots of use of my phone while lying on a flat surface, or in a dock in my car (navigation and podcasts/music only of course) so rear facing fingerprint scanners are not ideal. Yes, I can set up smart lock functionality but that doesn't remedy use of the fingerprint scanner for app security.

I dealt with it on my Nexus 6P and Pixel XL but it's still not preferred by any means.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Very similar to my usage...lots of use of my phone while lying on a flat surface, or in a dock in my car (navigation and podcasts/music only of course) so rear facing fingerprint scanners are not ideal. Yes, I can set up smart lock functionality but that doesn't remedy use of the fingerprint scanner for app security.

I dealt with it on my Nexus 6P and Pixel XL but it's still not preferred by any means.

Yep, I forgot I also use my phone in a dock/car a lot, which makes the rear placed fp sensor very difficult to use.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Same here. My reservations about rear FPS is primarily about the car mount.

I hope the facial recognition is good enough that it's a viable solution to unlocking the device from the car mount. That or introduce a quick toggle for lock screens. Toggle it off when you're in the car so you can just swipe up to unlock device, then toggle it back on when you exit the car.

Because otherwise, I'm rather open minded to the rear FPS. I've noticed my thumb just isn't the best finger for FPS. Both on my iPhone and Android devices. I say this because during the month or so I had the Pixel as a daily driver, I can't remember a single false fingerprint read. I believe the index finger is simply the more reliable fingerprint to read. Also, it felt great using a rear FPS when pulling the device out of my pocket. Very natural.

And, of course, moving it to the back allows for the front to be sleeker and have a larger display. So I'm for it if Samsung can figure out good workarounds for the few shortcomings of a rear FPS.

Of course, once they figure out the in-display FPS, it may return to the front in the Note 8/S9.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I agree.

Bixby could be great or it could suck, and I wouldn't really care. I use voice assistant rarely on both my iPhone and Android devices. Even when I had the Pixel, Google Assistant was good, but simply wasn't practical or necessary to use. I mainly used it in the car, "OK Google, take me home."

Bixby is neither here nor there for me.

I really hope that Bixby button is customizable.

Google Assistant is actually pretty good in my experience but same: I rarely need it, and often forget it's even an option.

Siri, however, is dogsh*t awful. Didn't eveb bother activating it on my IP7+ or iPad Pro.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Google Assistant is actually pretty good in my experience but same: I rarely need it, and often forget it's even an option.

Siri, however, is dogsh*t awful. Didn't eveb bother activating it on my IP7+ or iPad Pro.
It never used to be awful but it is now..can't understand barely anything these days

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Know nothing of IRIS period, thank you for telling me that.

I've hears Sammy probably has the worst fingerprint sensor of the bunch, my last sammy was a note 4 and that was horrible with the swipe down feature to log in, often missed, not that good at all.

I guess every is going IRIS to unlock the phone and I don't blame you, the rear fingerprint sensor is a bother when the phone is on the table, I don't want to pick up the phone to see notifications.
I can't say I'm a fan of the rear scanner location, either. It's okay when you're taking it out of the pocket but once you've got the phone mounted on a dash or sitting on the table, it's a pain.

You know there have been times, while working in the kitchen and having my hands messy, I wish I could have activated my iPhone or iPad via voice command, like "Hey Siri, unlock code Alpha Chicken Foozball 4739" or something like that and then continued to verbally instruct Siri what to do. I can of course consult Siri fairly well without unlocking the phone, but some things require it to be unlocked to proceed further.

Like on Star Trek when the Captain has to enter the destruct codes on the Enterprise, he doesn't try to enter his fingerprint or get his retinas scanned or lean his face up to a scanner.

I want to be Captain of the Enterprise, dangit! :D

But I'll settle for not getting salmonella on my iphone while stuffing a Chicken. ;)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I still can't believe the S8 is going to be smaller than the S7 Edge.

Again, Samsung is owning the ergonomic phablet space.

17333829_1865939360350304_208793302449782784_n.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Evleaks says this is the Orchid gray (the purple one).

C7ZYR95XkAQ7mcO.jpg

Larger photo here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-purple-renders_id92218

If it looks that good in person, I may consider it!

Now that it's looking more and more likely that the fronts will be all black (and logo-less!), the different color options are far more intriguing.

I'm pretty impressed by the Orchid gray.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Evleaks says this is the Orchid gray (the purple one).

C7ZYR95XkAQ7mcO.jpg

Larger photo here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-purple-renders_id92218

If it looks that good in person, I may consider it!

Now that it's looking more and more likely that the fronts will be all black (and logo-less!), the different color options are far more intriguing.

I'm pretty impressed by the Orchid gray.
If there truly is no front logo, I feel like I want to buy it just because of that! :D To support Samsung in their right decision, and to get the historic first phone without that touch of fugly on the front...

Not gonna count my chickens until we've seen the real thing though... ;)

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Not really concerned with the FP sensor on the back. When I use my V20, I usually enable the tap code to unlock, or enable smart unlock since my phone automatically connects to my car's BT.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not really concerned with the FP sensor on the back. When I use my V20, I usually enable the tap code to unlock, or enable smart unlock since my phone automatically connects to my car's BT.
FP scanner on the back doesn't bother me. I love it on my Pixel XL. But off to the side by the camera is a little different. I guess we will see very soon now! :)

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
FP scanner on the back doesn't bother me. I love it on my Pixel XL. But off to the side by the camera is a little different. I guess we will see very soon now! :)
think it would bother me at work slightly to need to pick it up to reply to texts but hopefully the iris scanner is simply to use and will use that instead

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Real deal..

[doublepost=1490101481][/doublepost]
galaxy-s8-high-res-1.jpg

galaxy-s8-high-res-2.jpg

Gorgeous phone, don't break the screen lol
[doublepost=1490102095][/doublepost]
Wow, this picture says it all. Dang.

View attachment 692901

Now this is something that will drove people to the store to buy a s8 over a iPhone, the iPhone and I have one looks like a phone being sold on boost mobile compared to the s8. The s8 looks great, Samsung.reslly knows how to design a phone looks alone will make people buy it the notes HTC, take freaking notes.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Gorgeous phone, don't break the screen lol
[doublepost=1490102095][/doublepost]

Now this is something that will drove people to the store to buy a s8 over a iPhone, the iPhone and I have one looks like a phone being sold on boost mobile compared to the s8. The s8 looks great, Samsung.reslly knows how to design a phone looks alone will make people buy it the notes HTC, take freaking notes.

Not really, those wanting to buy an iPhone will generally buy an iPhone for iOS and the Apple applications. Essentially there is no choice if you want iOS. Indeed the new product red iPhone looks quite sexy in its own way.

Those who are not so tied into iOS and apples own apps may be swayed to Samsung, but may equally be swayed by any of the other plethora of android devices.

That's not to say the S8 doesn't look lovely, it does. But the repeated assumption on this alternatives fora seems to be that iPhone users are buying phones based on bezel sizes which is simply false.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.