Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Maybe a more accurate purple?

1a321b89abb0b235ea8331e37675fb52.jpg

Another fake.

There are videos online now of fake S8's and they are / come in that box for $60-70.

Again remember Samsung colour match storage tab with the colour of the device and that box is contrary ;)

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Another fake.

There are videos online now of fake S8's and they are / come in that box for $60-70.

Again remember Samsung colour match storage tab with the colour of the device and that box is contrary ;)
So many fakes :)

Reactions: MRU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This is the real Deal from evleaks.

Black sky, orchid grey and Arctic Silver. All with Black Front

41431cc84b8971d22f3ca23f9e21047f.jpg
If those are real, take my money! :eek::oops:, no I don't mean that. Really, I don't. o_O

But I do approve of the black bezels. Good luck finding a clear case that doesn't make the pretty backs look like poo, though. I found the clear case I tried on my blue coral Note 7 actually corrupted the hue worse than the same case in a smoky gray. The latter actually let the color come through more true.

Sigh...I have so many Note 7 cases. Fortunately none cost me more than $3-4 thanks to getting them via Slickdeals. I still can't bring myself to throw them out. :(

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If those are real, take my money! :eek::oops:, no I don't mean that. Really, I don't. o_O

But I do approve of the black bezels. Good luck finding a clear case that doesn't make the pretty backs look like poo, though. I found the clear case I tried on my blue coral Note 7 actually corrupted the hue worse than the same case in a smoky gray. The latter actually let the color come through more true.

Sigh...I have so many Note 7 cases. Fortunately none cost me more than $3-4 thanks to getting them via Slickdeals. I still can't bring myself to throw them out. :(
I'm almost tempted to use them naked but guess depends on how slippy they are.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm almost tempted to use them naked but guess depends on how slippy they are.
My fingerprints are worn pretty well off from housework and yard work and endless hand washing, so all of these slab phones are slippery to me.

I can't wait for the durability tests on these.

My S7 shocked me by surviving two nasty drops when it "sproinged" out rather forcefully from the VR headset and went soaring in an arc and hit the hardwood floor hard. I thought with it being made of glass that was the end of that, and I'd just gotten it. But it wasn't even scratched. Most times it resides in a very inexpensive but protective and pretty smoke gray Ringke case I got from Amazon via Slickdeals for about $2.

I'm super careful with my S7 Edge. I saw my husband crack his Note7 and I know two other guys who cracked up their S7 Edges in what they described as very modest drops. I don't really trust these Edge displays for that reason.

I'm still not ruling out the LG G6. I just don't like my options with my carrier. I can't make use of their deal, which makes the LG G6 more than I'm willing to pay for, for a carrier model. LG is an unknown to me. I know by now what I'm getting with a Samsung, so I don't feel as hesitant dealing with them.

(Note of exasperation to myself...is it me or autocorrect making really odd misspellings, like using "there" instead of "their"). Le sigh. Facepalm.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm very willing to consider the other colors if the front truly are all black.

It's hard to judge the other two colors from those leaked pics...

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I'm very willing to consider the other colors if the front truly are all black.

It's hard to judge the other two colors from those leaked pics...

I really hope all the front sides have black around the sensors. I don't like how they stand out with different color schemes. I think Samsung did a brilliant job with the titanium silver S7 Edge last year. I even appreciate the Platinum Gold now that I have used my phone for a bit. Though the classic black is slightly better. Only problem was the Black wasn't available to me when I ordered my S7.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Before you run out and buy the s8 please remember the fingerprint sensor being on the back and if it's something you can do with the galaxy line, it completely changes the way I use my phone switching from the iphone 6s to the axon 7.

The s8 looks nice but IMO I couldn't have such a expense phone with a major hindrance like rear fingerprint sensor.

Just My opinion of course. I realize that checking and logging into my iphone is much easier as opposed to the axon 7.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Before you run out and buy the s8 please remember the fingerprint sensor being on the back and if it's something you can do with the galaxy line, it completely changes the way I use my phone switching from the iphone 6s to the axon 7.

The s8 looks nice but IMO I couldn't have such a expense phone with a major hindrance like rear fingerprint sensor.

Just My opinion of course. I realize that checking and logging into my iphone is much easier as opposed to the axon 7.
Presumably the iris scanner from the note 7 will be on the S8 and there have been rumours of facial recognition scanning. This will nullify the fingerprint scanner being on the back.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Least though Samsung are offering iris scanner and facial recognition

Reactions: 5105973

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Eww in these photos it doesn't look very hot tbh, even kind of weirdly dated... The outer silhouette just doesn't work for me in these ones. It doesn't seem to go together with the outline of the display.

I agree - not an attractive phone at all and looks very dated. I've enjoyed my S7 but I think I'll have to give this a miss if the leaks are true.

I might consider the next Google phone (assuming they don't randomly decide to kill them before the release).

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I agree - not an attractive phone at all and looks very dated. I've enjoyed my S7 but I think I'll have to give this a miss if the leaks are true.

I might consider the next Google phone (assuming they don't randomly decide to kill them before the release).
But once again that picture is 100% fake.

Reactions: Oohara

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

The fingerprint scanner works so badly for me on both of my Samsungs as well as on the ones I had before through the Note 7 recalls. I was using iris scanning to unlock and then passcode. I'm so used to keying in my passcode I actually had to train myself to trust my iPhone 7 Plus scanner and my HTC 10 scanners which work to as close as perfect as I could wish for.

Fingerprint scanning seriously has been such an Achilles heel for me with my S7 and S7 Edge. Anything will be an improvement even if it's scanning my nose!

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
These voice assistants aren't that intriguing for two reasons:

• Implementation is very hit or miss, and once you get a miss or two you tend to not bother.
  • use cases for voice assistance on an item we normally hold and interact with are pretty low. Driving, hands dirty/filled at home, I guess. Otherwise most of the time typing in whatever you want to do is much faster than interacting with your voice.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
These voice assistants aren't that intriguing for two reasons:

• Implementation is very hit or miss, and once you get a miss or two you tend to not bother.
  • use cases for voice assistance on an item we normally hold and interact with are pretty low. Driving, hands dirty/filled at home, I guess. Otherwise most of the time typing in whatever you want to do is much faster than interacting with your voice.

I agree.

Bixby could be great or it could suck, and I wouldn't really care. I use voice assistant rarely on both my iPhone and Android devices. Even when I had the Pixel, Google Assistant was good, but simply wasn't practical or necessary to use. I mainly used it in the car, "OK Google, take me home."

Bixby is neither here nor there for me.

I really hope that Bixby button is customizable.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Wait, someone explain this part to me. The S8 will have this tech, but not the S8+? Zuh???

Carrier orders favoring Galaxy S8 before S8+, in-cell touch tech may be S8 exclusive
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Carr...ouch-display-tech-may-be-S8-exclusive_id92200

Moreover, the source tips that Galaxy S8 will sport the Y-Octa screen technology that debuted on the Note 7, but not the S8+. Y-Octa incorporates the touch layer film directly in the display, slimming the screen package a bit, and improving sensitivity. This is likely similar to the in-cell touch tech that has been on LCD screens of Apple, LG and other flagships for a while now, but applied to an OLED display.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Presumably the iris scanner from the note 7 will be on the S8 and there have been rumours of facial recognition scanning. This will nullify the fingerprint scanner being on the back.

Know nothing of IRIS period, thank you for telling me that.

Least though Samsung are offering iris scanner and facial recognition

The fingerprint scanner works so badly for me on both of my Samsungs as well as on the ones I had before through the Note 7 recalls. I was using iris scanning to unlock and then passcode. I'm so used to keying in my passcode I actually had to train myself to trust my iPhone 7 Plus scanner and my HTC 10 scanners which work to as close as perfect as I could wish for.

Fingerprint scanning seriously has been such an Achilles heel for me with my S7 and S7 Edge. Anything will be an improvement even if it's scanning my nose!

I've hears Sammy probably has the worst fingerprint sensor of the bunch, my last sammy was a note 4 and that was horrible with the swipe down feature to log in, often missed, not that good at all.

I guess every is going IRIS to unlock the phone and I don't blame you, the rear fingerprint sensor is a bother when the phone is on the table, I don't want to pick up the phone to see notifications.

Reactions: 5105973

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Looks like coral blue too....

C6xSRFMWYAE2P1s.jpg

C6xSRE9WsAEqFYx.jpg

What are those black software looking bezels on the top and bottom? They look awful. I also thought they were not going with the Samsung logo on the front, BLEH they just had to squeeze that fugly looking crap onto the front didn't they? I'm not really finding it a particularly attractive phone in all honesty.
[doublepost=1490023587][/doublepost]
This is the real Deal from evleaks.

Black sky, orchid grey and Arctic Silver. All with Black Front

41431cc84b8971d22f3ca23f9e21047f.jpg

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK that's more like it, very nice. I really really hope they keep the Samsung logo off the front as well, in exchange they can put whatever the heck they like on the back and I promise I won't complain. I'll probably end up completely taking off the glass back and replacing it with a blank one anyway like I did with my Note 5 and Note 7.

[doublepost=1490023764][/doublepost]

Not for me, I most often use my phone flat on a desk so it's a huge pain to pick it up and activate the fp sensor every time I want to turn it on. It's also a slightly smaller pain to actually have to stand up and put my face in front of it, or lift it up to my face every time I want to turn it on.

Of course my solution with android has always been to setup a proximity lock, which turns off security while it's on my work wifi. It's not the most secure solution, but I suppose it works if you are willing to give up security.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.