Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
3c1fd2ca666a8408ecb72b6214516e88.jpg

Oooo
Sadly it seems they photoshopped out the sensor arrays ... So even they must know they ruin the overall aesthetic ;)

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Exynos 8895 Geekbench Results, Not impressed as a previous s7 edge exynos owner.

I had Hoped they Would Come closer to the single core Performance of the iPhone, but No the gap is still very big. Multi Core Performance is Nice but Not Important on Android Phones, because they can Never use it in real life.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Here...Galaxy-S8-and-its-Exynos-8895-chipset_id92126

Samsung is more than happy with its core performance and is neck to neck and in most situations faster at loading apps in there latest Android 7.0 builds.

Samsung concentrated on gpu performance this round and built it's soc to sustain steady performance without throttling for longer vr use.

the gpu is going to be a 20 core chip and more than double the performance from last gen and Samsung is using that tdp for GPU performance.

it will allow for 1000 frames per second slow motion recording and 4k 120fps recording.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sadly it seems they photoshopped out the sensor arrays ... So even they must know they ruin the overall aesthetic ;)
I'm honestly not too bothered by the sensor arrays...anymore. Where I live there's a park not too far off where the playground equipment is inhabited by these little dudes:

IMG_0286.JPG

I'm a terrible arachnophobe, but these little guys are inquisitive and friendly and have never bitten or threatened to bite even when touched, so even the kids have grown to like them and be kind to them.

The new S8's faceplate reminds me of my little spider friends, in a nice way. @Oohara posted that spider robot pic earlier on this thread and that helped make me more kindly disposed to the sensor array, as well. Yes, I'm a bit eccentric. ;) Okay, more than a bit.

I'm quite torn over what I really think of the S8. I find some things appealing, some not. I'm doing very well with the Samsungs I already have and really miss having a Note, so looking at it that way, I have no business looking at these S8's with a bit of covetousness.

I certainly shouldn't be obsessing over colors. :p:rolleyes:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/16/galaxy-s8-camera-1000-fps/

Report: Galaxy S8 Camera Capable of 1000 FPS Slow-Mo Video

Currently on my Pixel XL, slow motion video can be captured at up to 240 FPS (frames per second). That’s not too shabby for a smartphone. However, according to a new report, the Galaxy S8 camera can shoot video at 1,000 FPS, practically blowing the doors off my Pixel. How rude.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Exynos 8895 Geekbench Results, Not impressed as a previous s7 edge exynos owner.

I had Hoped they Would Come closer to the single core Performance of the iPhone, but No the gap is still very big. Multi Core Performance is Nice but Not Important on Android Phones, because they can Never use it in real life.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Here...Galaxy-S8-and-its-Exynos-8895-chipset_id92126

Single Core is too weak compared to the A10 processor. No surprise it's better in the multi-core one.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Would you look at how the S7 Edge Exynos owns the LG G6 and other Snapdragon 821 devices!? :D

Had no idea my S7 Edge was that much more powerful.

I'm going to happily keep using my S7 Edge Exynos, it's up there with the new stuff, not even that far behind the smaller and more powerful 835 SoC.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
yawn at benchmarks, these phones for years now have been powerful and more than capable. These charts are for nerds to nitpick and fight about on the internet

I agree, but you know what's even more useless? Those stupid speed test videos where the clown is opening and closing multiple apps. Because that's exactly how people use their phones, blasting through app after app. Useless.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
So who thinks that embossed effect on the "S" on the official poster is hinting to 3D touch? Hmmmm....

C7GKrE-VAAAWPDe-473x840.jpg

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Would you look at how the S7 Edge Exynos owns the LG G6 and other Snapdragon 821 devices!? :D

Had no idea my S7 Edge was that much more powerful.

I'm going to happily keep using my S7 Edge Exynos, it's up there with the new stuff, not even that far behind the smaller and more powerful 835 SoC.
Yeah I would not buy based on benchmarks. Honestly, at times they all lag or do something stupid that makes you want to throw them at the wall.

Though I do have to say I suppose it depends on the person. I watch my 12 year old on her iPad or Nintendo and she does everything so fast I really can't make out what she's done. We are playing the same Nintendo game and she zooms through certain sequences of actions at an insane pace. I am a turtle in comparison.

And it's not my age, I have always gone at a slower pace to make sure I don't mess up. The tasks I had to do in my work life left no room for error, for keying in wrong words, codes, etc.

My daughter does mess up sometimes, whines about it and moves on. I rarely ever make the kinds of mistakes she does. But she does notice the slightest lag. She hates my Android phones with a passion. She hates Touchwiz. She says it's slow and she has other complaints about it. She's an Apple girl all the way. But she does know her way around my Samsungs so I can't say she dismissed them offhandedly.

So when some people say they notice lag or that Samsungs are slower than some other phone and they can't stand that, I will have to give them the benefit of a doubt. For me, they are all fast enough most of the time. Once in awhile something is going on that hangs them up a bit enough to annoy even me.

My husband is one who says he notices Samsungs being significantly slower at task than his iPhones. Again, I have to take his word for it. It's not something I notice unless I'm looking for it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I agree, but you know what's even more useless? Those stupid speed test videos where the clown is opening and closing multiple apps. Because that's exactly how people use their phones, blasting through app after app. Useless.

I despise those. And it's always basically a dead heat until they open up the games, which are always the same specific games like Subway Surfers and Tomb Runner.

Reactions: Demo Kit

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Benchmarks ... you all despise them and yet frequently post them when a phone launches as a testament to how powerful it is going to be ... and if they look high, post "look how much better than competing manufacturer", but if they aren't looking noticeably different, will then dismiss them and post how they aren't relevant.

The Speed Run Tests ... you all verbalise that they aren't representative of normal everyday usage and yet are still watching them and posting about them as soon as they are available and if they go the way of your new device will suddenly be very quiet compared to if the new device loses and then suddenly "they aren't representative" is shouted ....

Spec Whores ... you all want the fastest processors and most ram you can get (you need 6gb because 4 would be disappointing) and yet then say after watching a speed run video that you only ever keep 6 apps open at any given time ?!?!

Do you all not see the oxymoron between what you say you do and then what you want and post here folks ? There is a massive disconnect between them.

Last edited:

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Benchmarks ... you all despise them and yet frequently post them when a phone launches as a testament to how powerful it is going to be ... and if they look high, post "look how much better than competing manufacturer", but if they aren't looking noticeably different, will then dismiss them and post how they aren't relevant.

The Speed Run Tests ... you all verbalise that they aren't representative of normal everyday usage and yet are still watching them and posting about them as soon as they are available and if they go the way of your new device will suddenly be very quiet compared to if the new device loses and then suddenly "they aren't representative" is shouted ....

Spec Whores ... you all want the fastest processors and most ram you can get (you need 6gb because 4 would be disappointing) and yet then say after watching a speed run video that you only ever keep 6 apps open at any given time ?!?!

Do you all not see the oxymoron between what you say you do and then what you want and post here folks ? There is a massive disconnect between them.

yeah, but.... uhhh

nope! you 100% nailed it ;)

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

It's because when the specs support their bias it's suddenly earth shattering impressive but when it doesn't somehow it's flawed or it seemingly doesn't matter because they supposedly don't use it like that or care. So do people care about 4 gb vs 6gb that the Asian variant normally gets? "Oh but I only use 6 tabs at a time" or is it "bummer only 4 gb ram"?

Or will it be "single core doesn't matter since that's not how android works" and "nobody opens and closes apps like that the test is pointless" even though benchmarks purpose is to test capabilities, to stress the subject being tested. I think they get upset because typically the iPhone wins against most of these flagships. "Oh but the iPhone is different, it doesn't really do multitasking" smh

"Oh but it's the 821 not the 835" smh

Reactions: MRU

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

Guilty as charged...
I know they mean diddly but can't help myself.......maybe I need help lol

I think it's a leftover habit from my GPU buying days where it was relevant to see some kind of performance and thermal data before purchasing a reasonably expensive component.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lol, actually I'm not too fussed about the processor unless it's known one runs cooler than the other. That's a result of having that loaner S7 overheat on me constantly. I'd love for the US to get Exynos ever since you told me the Exynos ones didn't do that.

I'd like spec bumps that help me avoid obvious problems like the ones I had on my iPhone and iPad with 1GB RAM that seemed to be solved when Apple added another 1GB.

I don't know if there's any problems solved going from the 4GB allotted to Samsungs sold outside of China to the 6GB sold to China so I don't worry about it. Nobody has ever said why exactly Chinese customers want or need the extra RAM. I do admit to a form of sibling rivalry though, because everybody loves China best. Tim Cook even does a lot for them. I don't know for sure if it's true but I've read here on MR before that rose gold was made for China. I'm jelly!

What I look for are god camera performance, dece
[doublepost=1489838367][/doublepost]Sorry my iPad mini 4 bugged out really badly on me there. That's the second time it's done that to me on this forum. I saw I spelled "good" wrong and went to correct.it but nothing worked to let me move on the page. The only action I could take was to Post Reply. Then reboot.

Well anyway I was just saying I focus on the camera reviews and I like generous storage options because I really make use of it. And I value at least splash proofing at the minimum.

I'm okay with not having the speediest as long as that doesn't mean performance is also "choppy" which is a little hard for me to explain. I guess what it means is it's okay for an app to open a few hairs slower than on another machine, but once it's open, I don't want it stuttering or hiccuping or crashing because the spec indeed was too poor to run it.

Gotta go now and take my dog out. Catch you all later!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I'm guilty of being a spec whore. I want 16gb RAM just because. Makes me feel good :D.

I simply don't understand the majority of benchmark details besides the end result score to hate it or love it.

I've seen several vlogs do speeds test properly, like test loading times of games on individual basis. And test speeds within the apps themselves.

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I usually use a budget or midrange phone as my personally phone, I most certainly dont care about the specs other than the battery!

Reactions: MRU

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Speed tests - they can bring up some salient points, e.g. RAM management, lag etc.

Spec whoring - usually, we are the only people who care BUT SnapDragon 810 was worth keeping an eye on. Also variations in markets can turn potential customers off (e.g. LG G6).

Benchmarks - no part of me actually cares, but for those who play games/VR it may matter.

Reactions: Klyster

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Well in regards to spec whores, count me one of them. For one reason only. Prices. Anytime you're buying a current flagship at current flagship prices, then give me current bleeding edge hardware with the newest advancements. Otherwise, drop your damn price and stop trying to sell me bs. Very logical.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well in regards to spec whores, count me one of them. For one reason only. Prices. Anytime you're buying a current flagship at current flagship prices, then give me current bleeding edge hardware with the newest advancements. Otherwise, drop your damn price and stop trying to sell me bs. Very logical.
Well that's certainly apt for this year where it's looking like all the major flagships are going to be between €899-1099 here.

Pricing has gone absolutely out of control.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Don't know whether its just me, but every 'leak' and 'render' I've seen of this phone looks awful.
Like the attempt at a bezel-less design just doesn't look right to me.

Hope the actual final reveal is nicer than what I've seen anyways.

I say this, but the S8 isn't really high on my priority list in terms of mobiles. The only Samsung phone I've ever liked is the Note 7, RIP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.