Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Meaning the S9 will do the same BUT have a fingerprint sensor under the screen in the same spot.

That's assuming Synaptics and Samsung get their crap together for the S9 and Note 8 lol. Apple still hasn't gotten its crap together since the 7/7+ were underwhelming.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That's assuming Synaptics and Samsung get their crap together for the S9 and Note 8 lol. Apple still hasn't gotten its crap together since the 7/7+ were underwhelming.

Apple will figure it out first. At least in the iPhone Edition version. Samsung might figure it out in time for the Note 8. Then we'll see it in the S9.

Just like the Note 7 had IRIS scanning first, then the S8.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Apple will figure it out first. At least in the iPhone Edition version. Samsung might figure it out in time for the Note 8. Then we'll see it in the S9.

A lot of "promise" on the iPhone "Edition." However, unless they provide a reasonable asking price or offer carrier based incentives/promos, I will not even consider getting an iPhone OLED model. My S7 is good enough to last me until the Note 8 if I want to hold off for a monster flagship. I can even hold out till the Note 9 because my phone is a week old and has a warranty until 2018.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Just like the Note 7 had IRIS scanning first, then the S8.

But the iPhone Edition is said to be released months later instead of being released with the other versions. So we might see it on the Note 8 first.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
A lot of "promise" on the iPhone "Edition." However, unless they provide a reasonable asking price or offer carrier based incentives/promos, I will not even consider getting an iPhone OLED model. My S7 is good enough to last me until the Note 8 if I want to hold off for a monster flagship. I can even hold out till the Note 9 because my phone is a week old and has a warranty until 2018.

I've said this a few times already in various threads: If the S8 somehow fails to impress, or has a deal breaker, or is just too expensive, I would have no problems picking up an S7 again on the cheap. Then I could wait for the Pixel 2 or other flagships later in year.
[doublepost=1489611662][/doublepost]
But the iPhone Edition is said to be released months later instead of being released with the other versions. So we might see it on the Note 8 first.

Definitely a possibility, though Apple would have introduced it at the same iPhone event (presumably).

I said in the iPhone/Android Switch thread that delaying the iPhone Edition by months opens up the window to Samsung and Google to debut the Note 8 and Pixel 2 respectively.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I've said this a few times already in various threads: If the S8 somehow fails to impress, or has a deal breaker, or is just too expensive, I would have no problems picking up an S7 again on the cheap. Then I could wait for the Pixel 2 or other flagships later in year.
[doublepost=1489611662][/doublepost]

Definitely a possibility, though Apple would have introduced it at the same iPhone event (presumably).

I said in the iPhone/Android Switch thread that delaying the iPhone Edition by months opens up the window to Samsung and Google to debut the Note 8 and Pixel 2 respectively.

With Apple, there are always rumors that never come to fruition. With Samsung, there is direct evidence that shows there is a rear FP scanner with photos. Until I see an "iPhone Edition" leaked photo, I cannot say what is a legitimate OLED model because the rumors are scattered a bit.

As for the cheap S7, the deals are getting really good. Outside of an uncalibrated battery and no USB Type C, I am content with the phone. Yes, the S7 lagged once and there are times where I might need to restart my phone because the Google Assistant doesn't recognize Ok Google, but what phone isn't error free? My iPhone had apps crash on me from time to time. I even saw my friend's iPhone 7 crash on her and I had to help put it in DFU mode for her so she can restore it from iTunes.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I

Yea, I doubt Apple would introduce it separately. And most likely even have pre-orders for it at the same time. And possibly even some demo units at the event for hands on reviews.

The Note 8 will be out in consumer's hand first though.

Both the Note 8 and iPhone Edition will be must haves for me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Time for the yearly taking bets on how long MRU will be able to hold out before getting one. I don't think it will be launch but in the first month for sure
I'm actually more interested in the LG G6 and I've never been that interested in LG phones because of their UI.

However if i was to get one it would be a Korean or Asian import in a few months time when it has invariably dropped to around €500-550.

Honestly the S8 due to the curved screen is not high on my radar and I know my disinterest actually surprises me as much as you folks.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Be interested what other features the S8 has. As all the leaks are what it looks like not just it's adding

Hope they add the option to change the screen to 720p screen when you are low on battery like they did on note 7

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
The black is definitely slick gorgeous.

black-galaxy-s8-leaked-7.jpg

black-galaxy-s8-leaked-5.jpg
black-galaxy-s8-leaked-4.jpg
black-galaxy-s8-leaked-3.jpg

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Be interested what other features the S8 has. As all the leaks are what it looks like not just it's adding

Hope they add the option to change the screen to 720p screen when you are low on battery like they did on note 7

that's 100% going to be there as the gs7 just got that option in 7.0

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
With Apple, there are always rumors that never come to fruition. With Samsung, there is direct evidence that shows there is a rear FP scanner with photos. Until I see an "iPhone Edition" leaked photo, I cannot say what is a legitimate OLED model because the rumors are scattered a bit.

As for the cheap S7, the deals are getting really good. Outside of an uncalibrated battery and no USB Type C, I am content with the phone. Yes, the S7 lagged once and there are times where I might need to restart my phone because the Google Assistant doesn't recognize Ok Google, but what phone isn't error free? My iPhone had apps crash on me from time to time. I even saw my friend's iPhone 7 crash on her and I had to help put it in DFU mode for her so she can restore it from iTunes.
My iPhone has been so very buggy lately. First my one main gmail account settings got corrupted somehow on the Apple email app and I stopped receiving emails. I can't remember that ever happening to my iPhones iPhones before. If not for my S7, I would have missed important time sensitive correspondence from other parents. Then yesterday Apple Music would not work at all for me. Google Play and Spotify worked fine, but Apple Music kept throwing errors. My husband fixed it by rebooting my phone but I didn't even think to do that because I had just rebooted the phone the day before. Apps have been crashing. Safari occasionally crashes.

When the final version of iOS 10 comes out I'm going to scratch my phone and start brand new. I just got it for Christmas! The hardware is fine, of that I'm certain. Something got messed up in my software somehow. iOS 10 has been one of the messier rollouts I've endured since a few years ago when another version of iOS kept bugging my iPhone 5s. I really have come to like it, but they need to polish it up some more for the next release.

For once I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 7Plus hardware and intend to keep it well over a year, so I have nothing more than a friendly curiosity for the next batch of iPhones. I usually upgrade for the camera, but the iPhone 7Plus camera has been perfect for my use, finally. So I'm good...now they just need to fix iOS.

As for Samsung, my S7 is fun to use and is great. My S7 Edge is also very nice. But the S8 is interesting. I am interested despite myself. I still want to hold out for the Note 8 because that would be the logical sensible thing to do in my position.

LG G6 could steal me away if they bring the Asian specs to the US later. Right now, well, I really like the wide angle cameras...but...I don't know, I keep reading that customer service is not their strong suit. Samsung is clearly stepping up on that aspect. I'm hoping this is the year LG steps it up in the US.

Goodness knows what's going to happen with Pixel. We don't even have a rumor or who is making it, do we?

The only thing I'm sure of is that this year is NOT the year I pick between iOS and Android. That snafu with the email let me know I'm super lucky and blessed to be able to have both and I'm keeping both until the realities of a retirement budget hit us in a few years and I am forced to choose and pare it back down to one phone every year or two years again.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ yeah that's the trouble with running beta software. Whilst it's good Apple made a public beta, it may have been wiser to have kept it just for developer accounts. The nature of any beta is that it can be buggy and temperamental randomly. FWIW 10.2 here and never had a single app crash or issue on my 128gb iPhone 7 or iPad Pro 12.9

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Man those sensors look so noticeable in all the colors except black.....

Lol, yup. I'm guessing the average Joe doesn't even care. And I wouldn't even be surprised if some people actually like that tech overkill look. They really should have gone all black for the front for a clean look. It's definitely all black for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.