Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
it's because the USA model will get the snapdragon 835 and its by the company that ownes CDMA technology and won't have to pay Qualcomm royalties for CDMA.

if it wasn't for Verizon stuck on CDMA Samsung would just use it's own soc on all the phones.

buying the snapdragon and using it in the states is cheaper than building there own soc and paying Qualcomm for a standalone modem and or licensing CDMA to use on the Shannon modem Samsung has built.

Nice info. So I'm assuming if they have an unlocked S8 it will be GSM only? I'm not sure how the S7 worked and if it was the same. Too bad because I am on Verizon.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It would be amazing if Samsung makes the unlocked version available right away.
[doublepost=1489497871][/doublepost]
Holy crap, this changes everything. I still would like to know if the bootloader will be unlocked though, was it for the unlocked S7?

Not sure...

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
the main reason people got the unbranded phones was for the exynos soc and unlocked bootloader.

guys don't get your hopes up.its most likely going to be a Carrier unlocked snapdragon 835 in the states with a locked bootloader.

endless the new lawsuit apple has with Qualcomm has something to do with Qualcomm allowing Samsung to use it's own modem and support CDMA but I doubt it.

I just got an iPhone 7 plus on Verizon and it's the first time apple used a different modem in a phone from the rest of the iPhones.

all the GSM carrier iPhones got an Intel modem and my iPhone 7 plus has a Qualcomm modem made to use on Verizon's CDMA network.

so looks like apple was sick of paying royalties to Qualcomm for every phone and just made a specific model for Verizon and just pay the fees on that one model instead of all of them.

it's not just Samsung that has to deal with it

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Samsung's icons are so bad, looks like a kiddy phone
They look great, simple and in the same pattern that fits the new GS8 series. This looks like a kiddy phone.

IOS_10_Homescreen_iPhone_7.png

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
They look great, simple and in the same pattern that fits the new GS8 series. This looks like a kiddy phone.

IOS_10_Homescreen_iPhone_7.png

if Samsung's looks like a kiddy phone the iPhone looks like a kiddy phone for a cartoon character

And worse, you can't customize them. Since liking them or not is a matter of personal taste, the inability to change them is the bigger criticism. It's funny when Apple fans try to use the "preference" argument. ;)

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Samsung's icons are so bad, looks like a kiddy phone

That argument is so old. Just like the "TW sucks" argument. Then again, it's all preference anyway. It's like somebody started saying the icons look kiddy or cartoonish when the first Galaxy S came out, then people who never had that opinion or really even cared, started parroting that opinion because it was the cool thing to do. Then you look on the play store and you see some of the most most highly rated icon sets are the ones with bright vibrant colors. Even the actual Grace UX icon pack is highly rated. And that icon pack is a copy of the Grace UX icons introduced with the Note 7. I myself love the look of the squarcle. I'm using Moko set, another set that looks like Grace UX.

Screenshot_20170314-084043.png

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And worse, you can't customize them. Since liking them or not is a matter of personal taste, the inability to change them is the bigger criticism. It's funny when Apple fans try to use the "preference" argument. ;)

Even if Apple allowed themes that would make me happy but my new home screen has looked the same since forever.

I love widgets but least if you don't you don't need them. You make it how you wish

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...-for-unlocked-smartphones-in-the-U.S._id91968
Samsung shifts to monthly security updates schedule for unlocked smartphones in the U.S.

Okay, this changes things quite a bit. I'm suddenly far more interested in the unlocked S8.

The unlocked S8 that recently passed FCC apparently will be the one model for all carriers. Someone in the comments at Android Police said Samsung did this to minimize the number of SKUs, thus leading to easier updates. Not sure if this last bit is verified, but regardless, an unlocked S8 with a commitment to monthly security updates is a fantastic start to the S8.

As we've said right here in this very thread, it's bizarre the carrier versions of the S7 keep up with the monthly patches more than unlocked S7's directly from Samsung. Hopefully Samsung keeps true to this new promise.

Now the big question is... will the unlocked version of the S8 go on sale at the same time as the carrier-branded ones? I sure hope so. An unlocked S8 that is carrier brand-free, bloatware-free, with monthly security updates would be a no brainer then.
It's about time! Now, I will believe it when I see it when they start keeping my S7 updated.

At least this shows they are indeed shifting to being more and more responsive to their customers.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's about time! Now, I will believe it when I see it when they start keeping my S7 updated.

At least this shows they are indeed shifting to being more and more responsive to their customers.

Yeah, little by little, Samsung is piecing it together.

I have to wonder if this is due to the Pixel sales, too. Pixel stole a bit of thunder from Samsung, how Google was entering the hardware game, etc. So here comes Samsung trying to play up their software game.

Competition = yes.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

I really hope they improve also here. I'd love to use my S7 Edge and enjoy its camera without having that "Holy unpatched known vulnerabilities, Batman!" feeling at the back of my head.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Some real insecure people here, this thread has nothing to do with Apple or any other phone maker. A mere opinion shared about how horrible their stock icons are and people seem real bothered by it.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Some real insecure people here, this thread has nothing to do with Apple or any other phone maker. A mere opinion shared about how horrible their stock icons are and people seem real bothered by it.

Yeah, you got some strong responses. I didn't take your comment as anything more than your honest opinion. I think some people read it wrong. Besides, I agree. I don't like TouchWiz stock icons either. I think they're some of the ugliest.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
One big plus and reason I am an android user..customization so in the end it doesnt matter to me. Nova is my first install on every phone I get!

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

Which is why I said it's all personal preference in the end. There were icon packs I really liked in the past, and now I don't care for them. But the squarcle has always been my favorite shape and still is.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm never fond of any icons that come with any phones. There are too many discordant colors. So in Android I usually apply an icon pack that matches my theme or wallpaper.

On iOS I do sometimes do something similar using an app that lets me put up frames around the icon or a virtual shelf for them. It's not the best solution but it's something.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm never fond of any icons that come with any phones. There are too many discordant colors. So in Android I usually apply an icon pack that matches my theme or wallpaper.

On iOS I do sometimes do something similar using an app that lets me put up frames around the icon or a virtual shelf for them. It's not the best solution but it's something.

Same here. I enjoy customizing my phone.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Such a shame we still haven't heard a single leak about dual speakers. I feel like if they were real, we'd have heard something by now along with the other specs/features that have been leaked and rumored.

I don't think it's happening. Not even the HTC/Apple method of dual speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.