Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
There's an anti malware, powered by Intel in the device maintenance part of the settings on the S7.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Depending on what shade they use, orchid can be purplish. The US probably won't even see this color. :( I hope they do away with color exclusives. Yes, I know I could always put s skin on it, but it's not the same.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Features round up and some new information

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...specifications-features-changes/#7d8f7cea237b

Apparently it will be available in seven colours: gold, silver, orchid, pink, blue, Matt black and bright black. I wonder what happened to purple?

PC mode sounds interesting. I wonder what the IR-LED transmitter is? A return of the IR blaster?

Release date is back to the 21st??

What! I'll believe the seven colors when I see them.
[doublepost=1489412317][/doublepost]Well here's a leak of the gold one.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gold-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-leaks-in-live-image_id91947

s8-gold.jpg

Definitely sticking to black or darker colors this time around (I've always been a white phone kind of guy). As we see more advanced sensors upfront, darker color phones are going to reign supreme, me thinks.
[doublepost=1489413123][/doublepost]
Analysts have been wrong before. You will prolly see a lot of promos though like usual from Samsung.

Analyst predicts weak demand for Samsung Galaxy S8, suggests focusing on Apple OLED 'iPhone 8'...
http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...y-s8-suggests-focusing-on-apple-oled-iphone-8

There is a lot of hype for this phone. I think Samsung can move past the note 7 debacle.

This story is really making the rounds today. I actually understand this prediction and could easily see it be true. I think something similar that happened with the iPhone Plus will happen with the iPhone 8. Because Apple is finally adopting some of these long standing features, the new iPhone will sell well to those who have waited it out.

Apple will never have a problem with sales. Not for a while. They're simply operating on a diffferent time table than the competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr and MRU

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Surely at this point it would have made more sense to have a couple of symmetrical bars either side of the speaker that each contain 2 or 3 sensors.

Be a hell of a lot less ugly.

Reactions: MRU and Roadstar

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Heh I'm actually liking that freaking sensor array... Especially on white. The pure overkill of it gives me kind of a sci-fi/manga vibe.

g_i_t_s__haw_206___5___3d_by_secap-d5cbpsm.png
Oh. My. God. :eek: What has been seen, cannot be unseen. If I get a light colored S8, I will see it transform into this beast in my nightmares. And I will be greatly pleased. :D Whatever that thing is, it's my spirit animal!

You've made me want the white one if it comes out in the US. That is so wicked! :eek::D:eek:

Well...if Samsung gets its act together on security updates. My unlocked S7 is so far behind. Grrr...never again. :mad: I'd prefer unlocked, otherwise. Though if they start us off at at least 64GB onboard storage I'd be okay with the carrier model, which stays fairly up to date on AT&T.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
As more front facing sensors become a thing, this is something OEMs will have to design around and figure out.

Which is why I predict black will be the dominant smartphone color for some time!

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Well...if Samsung gets its act together on security updates. My unlocked S7 is so far behind. Grrr...never again. :mad: I'd prefer unlocked, otherwise. Though if they start us off at at least 64GB onboard storage I'd be okay with the carrier model, which stays fairly up to date on AT&T.

Samsung should indeed get serious with the security updates. Handing them out inconsistently and often late is not for this day and age. It's frustrating when they ruin great hardware with lackluster software support.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Oh. My. God. :eek: What has been seen, cannot be unseen. If I get a light colored S8, I will see it transform into this beast in my nightmares. And I will be greatly pleased. :D Whatever that thing is, it's my spirit animal!

You've made me want the white one if it comes out in the US. That is so wicked! :eek::D:eek:

Haha, that's brilliant! :D That thing is from the Ghost in the Shell manga. Bring your beastly S8 along when you go watch the new version coming out at the end of March...! :cool:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Samsung should indeed get serious with the security updates. Handing them out inconsistently and often late is not for this day and age. It's frustrating when they ruin great hardware with lackluster software support.

100% agree. It was bizarre that my Tmobile S7 Edge got more monthly security updates than Samsung's own unlocked S7's.

Which is also why if it proves true Samsung will release an unlocked S8 (it recently passed FCC), I may still go with the Tmo version. The promotions would likely be better, too.

I'm not as critical about whole software updates -- this day and age with where Android is, they just aren't vital to me to sacrifice the advantages Samsung offers -- but monthly security updates I do care about. Samsung should be on top of that especially for the unlocked version.

Hopefully Tmo continues with their monthly security updates. They were good about it when I had my S7E. I think they only missed two months last year, if I'm not mistaken. Also, Tmo has far less bloatware than Verizon/ATT.

[doublepost=1489423517][/doublepost]
The only security update my S7 Edge ever got was when I applied a screen protector.

Unlocked?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.