Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm wary of the G6 at the moment because...as I said, 32GB onboard storage capacity. On my unlocked S7 I'm already using 22 of that and that's with me behaving myself and being conservative.

I'm wary about their history with bootloops because so far according to what I've read and seen on my internet wandering, ALL of their models have some anecdotes with bootloops and the causes vary, some may be avoidable and some not. I've not liked their workmanship before and I will definitely need to see this one in person first. I am somewhat relieved that the JerryRig teardown yielded positive results. I'm waiting for more user observations.

I'm wary because their phones aren't holding their value at all. Also...I think the Snapdragon 821 is just fine for my purposes but it is a 2016 processor and so I'm waiting to see if they are charging 2017 prices for it.

And I'm waiting to see reviews on the camera once the software has been finalized. Right now there's an aqua tint to photos in low light. I think you can adjust the white balance but I do a lot of snapping in auto modes when the subject is kids or pets. I waited YEARS for an iPhone that would not make the blondes in the family look greenish haired. I am not about to go through that again with a new phone.

Aside from my dealbreaking point on the camera, I'm willing to take some chances on my other concerns if the price is right. Obviously I have plenty of phones to keep me busy so I don't have to rush. It is going to be lots of fun comparison shopping. Even if I end up not buying anything after all.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Nothing new, but another leak:

Galaxy-S8-Front-Leak.jpeg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Do you not get curious looks on the street and at work ?

Or do you use the phone as some form of crotch guard

I'm free and loving every minute of it! ;)

But I've definitely been asked about my phones being naked. People think I'm crazy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Nothing new, but another leak:

Galaxy-S8-Front-Leak.jpeg

Hmm, I'm assuming that nav bar will need some hacking to go away. I wonder if those old Android apps that allowed you to get the nav bar out of the way still work.
[doublepost=1489187734][/doublepost]
I, for one, am going completely naked with my S8. :)

I went naked with my S7 Edge and got addicted. There's no going back.

I'm not that brave, but I usually go naked on the front screen and put on only a skin on the back. My main fear is my phone is on my desk a lot and gets slid around, and I can see that attracting swirls and scratches. Although I was impressed with my last fully naked phone, the Note 5, not a scratch on it. But the rear skin provides some grip ability as well if you get a matte one.

Reactions: epicrayban

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I was thinking about that too, but also trying out Dbrand skins for the first time. I will get a back case for my initial usage though.

Hmm, I'm assuming that nav bar will need some hacking to go away. I wonder if those old Android apps that allowed you to get the nav bar out of the way still work.

I'm pretty sure that option would be included. The LG V20 lets me choose specific apps to hide the nav bar, I hope Samsung does the same.

Reactions: spinedoc77

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I really liked the Samsung Clear Case for the S7E. It's not much when it comes to protection, but I don't *knock on wood a trillion times* usually drop my phones. I'm also going screen protector-less for the first time since I've owned an expensive smartphone.

I imagine if Samsung did something similar for this or the Note line, I'd follow suit with exposing only front.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm wary of the G6 at the moment because...as I said, 32GB onboard storage capacity. On my unlocked S7 I'm already using 22 of that and that's with me behaving myself and being conservative.

I'm wary about their history with bootloops because so far according to what I've read and seen on my internet wandering, ALL of their models have some anecdotes with bootloops and the causes vary, some may be avoidable and some not. I've not liked their workmanship before and I will definitely need to see this one in person first. I am somewhat relieved that the JerryRig teardown yielded positive results. I'm waiting for more user observations.

I'm wary because their phones aren't holding their value at all. Also...I think the Snapdragon 821 is just fine for my purposes but it is a 2016 processor and so I'm waiting to see if they are charging 2017 prices for it.

And I'm waiting to see reviews on the camera once the software has been finalized. Right now there's an aqua tint to photos in low light. I think you can adjust the white balance but I do a lot of snapping in auto modes when the subject is kids or pets. I waited YEARS for an iPhone that would not make the blondes in the family look greenish haired. I am not about to go through that again with a new phone.

Aside from my dealbreaking point on the camera, I'm willing to take some chances on my other concerns if the price is right. Obviously I have plenty of phones to keep me busy so I don't have to rush. It is going to be lots of fun comparison shopping. Even if I end up not buying anything after all.
The G6 looks beautiful but I can't get it because of the regional issue debacle. We are not getting anything in Europe. I find it ridiculous that it doesn't have wireless charging. It's an android phone. It should do imo. It also doesn't support daydream or have its own VR which is another negative. I'm not sure I trust LG either. To be fair a lot of it is simply because I've only ever had Samsung devices and feel pretty comfortable with them. I've had both generations of the nexus 7 for short periods of time and I also had the LG G3 for a few days but I returned it and got the S5 as I wasn't happy with it.

Samsung also have much more of a presence in the UK than LG which is pretty non existent.
[doublepost=1489203664][/doublepost]

I was always worried about dropping my S7 edge and cracking the glass on the back. I'm not a clumsy person and don't drop my phone outside but I have laminate floors at home and a very active, wriggly 10 month old son. The screen protector situation always bothered me too. I had it in a case and then put that into a slip wallet for extra protection.

Last edited:

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I really liked the Samsung Clear Case for the S7E. It's not much when it comes to protection, but I don't *knock on wood a trillion times* usually drop my phones. I'm also going screen protector-less for the first time since I've owned an expensive smartphone.

I didn't use a screen protector on my Note 7. And I'm currently not using a screen protector on my S7 Edge. I even put my phone in the same pocket as my change sometimes. Not a single scratch or micro scratch on my screen. Nothing beats the feeling of the original glass. Although I do use a minimal case for drop protection. Spigen rugged armour is perfect. I've already had a few drops on sidewalks, so good thing for the case. As long as you don't get sand in your pockets, and you use a case for the inevitable accidental drop, you'll be fine.

Reactions: shyam09

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

That's daring :) I couldn't find a good tempered glass protetor for mine, so I went with a light case only. Sure enough, the first accidental drop shattered the screen and the replacement cost almost the same as a OnePlus phone. Luckily my insurance paid for most of it. As I still don't know of a actually good tempered glass screen protector (I just hate the feel of the plastic ones) for the S7E, I'm now using an Otterbox Strada case to minimize the risk of the screen actually hitting anything if I manage to drop it again.

Reactions: epicrayban

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That's daring :) I couldn't find a good tempered glass protetor for mine, so I went with a light case only. Sure enough, the first accidental drop shattered the screen and the replacement cost almost the same as a OnePlus phone. Luckily my insurance paid for most of it. As I still don't know of a actually good tempered glass screen protector (I just hate the feel of the plastic ones) for the S7E, I'm now using an Otterbox Strada case to minimize the risk of the screen actually hitting anything if I manage to drop it again.
I couldn't get one for my S7 edge when I had it. I bought one and paid £30 including installation and I had to take it off after a day as it distorted the screen.

Reactions: 5105973

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
Now that the dimensions are out, really looking forward to the S8. Same size screen as my Note 5, but in a package as narrow as the Iphone 7 and just a bit taller than that and the regular S7.

I certainly don't need a larger screen than 5.7 (and could go down to even 5.2 or so, really, after having the Note series for so long, and after trying a 4.7 Iphone last couple weeks), but am craving the smaller form factor, which may also have me looking at the Iphone 8 in months time. Either case, losing the S-pen will be the only downside of either of the moves.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I really liked the Samsung Clear Case for the S7E. It's not much when it comes to protection, but I don't *knock on wood a trillion times* usually drop my phones.
Do you mean the Clearview case?
I've had my phone back for week after that particular case scratched the heck out of my screen.
[doublepost=1489217578][/doublepost]
I couldn't get one for my S7 edge when I had it. I bought one and paid £30 including installation and I had to take it off after a day as it distorted the screen.

I can't figure out why any tempered glass screen protectors got the edge don't have 100% adhesive? They either line the top ends or line the sides which makes touching the screen feel nasty and allows dust and debris to get under the protector.
Has anyone seen a total 100% adhesive protector in glass?
Or a can of spray silicon adhesive maybe?
I just go nude on the screen now unless I'm using my LED flip cover.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My S7 and S7 Edge need to have naked screens so they will look okay in VR. I had the exact same experience as @Shanghaichica with the $30 film protector AT&T installed for me when I got my S7Edge. I lasted for about a week or two before it bugged me enough to peel it off.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I feel guilty for not being hyped for this release ..... I want to see it, and see what they do with it, but I don't have any compulsion or plan to buy.

Had they made a 'smaller' version and flat edges I haven't would be planning a purchase, but I know edgeless just frustrates me.

Glad you are all getting excited though. I'll just live vicariously through you all for this release :)

I'm in the same boat.

The forthcoming S8 (like the S7 last year) looks like a beauty from the outside, but after owning it for 3-6 months...I wonder if the owner satisfaction will still be as lofty.

I'll be watching from the sidelines.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I didn't realize the Harmin deal isn't completed yet. Definitely don't expect major speaker improvements in the s8.

Heck, might not even make it into the note 8 in time.

Samsung closes on its $8 billion purchase of Harman International
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...lion-purchase-of-Harman-International_id91912

Well, the Tab S3 they just announced has AKG (owned by Harman) audio tuning so I don't see why the S8 can't have the same sort of feature or some other audio hardware feature. Specialty audio partnerships on smartphones is nothing new and doesn't require the company be wholly owned by the smartphone OEM, i.e. B&O with LG and Harman Kardon and Dolby with HTC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.