Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/0...-plus-with-us-carrier-support-spotted-at-fcc/

Samsung might release an unlocked model of both their newest flagship siblings in the US at launch. They sure have smartened up in one area if that's the case. Time will tell if they actually support it with updates though.
[doublepost=1489072216][/doublepost]
Wait, what does this mean?

FCC certifies the unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+

http://www.phonearena.com/news/FCC-...msung-Galaxy-S8-and-Samsung-Galaxy-S8_id91833

Is it possible there will be unlocked versions sold right away at launch?

Beat me by a few seconds. Seems like it.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/0...-plus-with-us-carrier-support-spotted-at-fcc/

Samsung might release an unlocked model of both their newest flagship siblings in the US at launch. They sure have smartened up in one area if that's the case. Time will tell if they actually support it with updates though.
[doublepost=1489072216][/doublepost]

Beat me by a few seconds. Seems like it.

The irony is, I think the Tmobile variant of my S7 Edge got more monthly updates than my sister's unlocked S7 from Samsung.

But even so... unlocked... that would be a dream.
[doublepost=1489073453][/doublepost]More size comparisons:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...Phone-7-Plus-Pixel-XL-size-comparison_id91759

galaxy-s8-vs-galaxy-s8-vs-galaxy-s7-vs-galaxy-s7-edge.jpg

galaxy-s8-vs-google-pixel-xl-vs-iphone-7-plus.jpg

Galaxy-S8-vs-LG-G6.jpg

I love that the S8 regular is basically a slightly smaller S7 Edge. Perfect.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
The irony is, I think the Tmobile variant of my S7 Edge got more monthly updates than my sister's unlocked S7 from Samsung.

But even so... unlocked... that would be a dream.
[doublepost=1489073453][/doublepost]More size comparisons:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...Phone-7-Plus-Pixel-XL-size-comparison_id91759

SNIP

I love that the S8 regular is basically a slightly smaller S7 Edge. Perfect.

Pretty damn tempting. a 6.1" screen in a similar sized body to my iP7+!?!? and I'm perfectly comfortable with the size of my iPhone, just not the screen to body ratio.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just to touch again on the possibility of an unlocked S8, I'm not convinced that's the model I would buy, especially since I'm with Tmobile and the carrier bloatware is light and relatively harmless.

http://www.androidauthority.com/goo...-cia-documents-dont-pose-threat-users-755546/

Look at the comments section. They elaborate on what I said earlier, that the unlocked versions actually get less and slower updates.

I think I'll stick to Tmobile version. Still, it's great that Samsung might offer an unlocked version right away.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Both S8 sizes would be great for me, but my wife already finds my S7 Edge too big.

Have to admit Samsung are starting to lose the "one-handed" market a bit. I realise the phone is narrower but the S7 hit a sweet spot.

Do three options: 6.2" and 5.8" and 5.4". That would be compelling.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Just to touch again on the possibility of an unlocked S8, I'm not convinced that's the model I would buy, especially since I'm with Tmobile and the carrier bloatware is light and relatively harmless.

http://www.androidauthority.com/goo...-cia-documents-dont-pose-threat-users-755546/

Look at the comments section. They elaborate on what I said earlier, that the unlocked versions actually get less and slower updates.

I think I'll stick to Tmobile version. Still, it's great that Samsung might offer an unlocked version right away.

They might change their ways with updates. T-Mobile version for me because of the trade in stuff.

Reactions: jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The S7's Grace UX seems so much more cleaner than previous Touchwiz versions. Though I don't seem to be able to edit quick toggles before opening to the 2nd bigger menu off the top of the screen.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The S7's Grace UX seems so much more cleaner than previous Touchwiz versions. Though I don't seem to be able to edit quick toggles before opening to the 2nd bigger menu off the top of the screen.

I think it's always been like that, no?

On my s6, you have to pull down the full quick toggles to edit order.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I believe you @MRU. Be strong. :p

Shame you won't get the g6 though. Very curious about more people's opinion on that one.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of feedback on the s8.

Reactions: MRU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have been :eek::confused::mad: reading about all those leaks about how a certain alphabet agency had gone power tripping over turning our tech into Orwellian surveillance gadgets.

I find myself wanting to go live with the Amish. I think it's cool that Samsung has Knox. Does that make Samsung phones any more secure against Big Brother in any way?

Unfortunately their smart tvs are not. I have one in my family room. :confused:

I'm still drooling over the LG G6 more. But I'm holding off plans to do more than drool while I wait and see if they come to their senses and release the 64 GB version to the US. 32GB is pretty stingy for 2017. My current 32 GB Androids are filling up because I like apps and themes. I trust Samsung will use better sense and start us off with at least 64GB.

I really resent and hate that Facebook comes preloaded even on unlocked phones, except IPhones. Why oh why does FB have so much power and ubiquity?

My unlocked S7 did get updates much slower than my AT&T one. So if I ever upgrade with Samsung again, I'd probably go for the AT&T one because FB is going to be there no matter which I choose and that was the bloatware I most wanted to escape. I actually found some of AT&T bloatware actually useful.

Samsung is in my good graces this morning because for some reason, extremely time sensitive emails from other moms did NOT come in on my iPhone or iPad but did come through on my S7. Presumably it's on my HtC 10, too, but I forgot to charge it. :rolleyes: What the heck, Apple? I can't believe it's been almost 24 hours and my emails still haven't shown up on my i devices. Some emails from the school made it. But not the ones from women who are coordinating important events for our kids. :mad:

So anyway what color Samsung is @MRU getting? :p

Reactions: jamezr

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I believe you @MRU. Be strong. :p

Shame you won't get the g6 though. Very curious about more people's opinion on that one.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of feedback on the s8.

The G6 intrigues me, mainly because it has small bezels BUT keeps the phone flat, which IMO is functionally superior to Samsung's curved edges. I'm just put off by LG's loyalty to customers, they sure ditched the G5 pretty quickly. I'm also not in love with their UI and would much prefer just a vanilla google implementation at this point. How is LG on updates? Are they as horrendous as Samsung is with OS updates?
[doublepost=1489161079][/doublepost]
I reckon he'll get the purple :p

Yes I think this is where I would put my money. Of course he will cover it up by posting beautiful pictures of the beach and doggy.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The G6 intrigues me, mainly because it has small bezels BUT keeps the phone flat, which IMO is functionally superior to Samsung's curved edges. I'm just put off by LG's loyalty to customers, they sure ditched the G5 pretty quickly. I'm also not in love with their UI and would much prefer just a vanilla google implementation at this point. How is LG on updates? Are they as horrendous as Samsung is with OS updates?

I'm in agreement with you doc...if I had to pick a G6 or S8, I'd get the LG. It has very nearly the same profile as the smaller S8 and a nice, flat display. But like you, I'm also wary of their history with software updates, and haven't liked their software skins to date.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm in agreement with you doc...if I had to pick a G6 or S8, I'd get the LG. It has very nearly the same profile as the smaller S8 and a nice, flat display. But like you, I'm also wary of their history with software updates, and haven't liked their software skins to date.

LG should be commended for a near bezel-less display without needing edge screens.

I'm curious as to how rootable LG's phones have been lately? I honestly haven't used LG since the G3 so I have no idea. I think if I could get a decent stock ROM loaded onto a G6 it would be a good option. What I'm really thinking is that the G6 hardware paired with the Pixel's software would have been a great contender.

Reactions: tbayrgs

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm curious as to how rootable LG's phones have been lately? I honestly haven't used LG since the G3 so I have no idea. I think if I could get a decent stock ROM loaded onto a G6 it would be a good option. What I'm really thinking is that the G6 hardware paired with the Pixel's software would have been a great contender.

now that would be a great phone!

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.