Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
why can't Samsung make a gs8 with the same size screen as the gs7 without top and bottom bezels?

not everyone wants a bigger or taller device.

I'm hoping a gs7 mini comes out with same soc and gs7 screen in a smaller size.i don't get why Samsung has 5 models competing against each other in the plus 5.1 size screens.

gs8 5.1
gs8 plus 5.5
note 8 6.0

you don't need 3 phones with almost the same size screen and bigger bodies.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
S8 vs iPhones 7

bab15179680312070e188cc09910f3e5.jpg

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/839600923865464838
the side by side comparison from S8 plus to my 7 plus makes it really embarrassing when you compare the screen size

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
This phone looks so beautiful. I'm thinking about getting one when they're released.

Since I've only ever had an iPhone, do you guys know if Samsung will have any promotions for this phone during its launch, such as trading in an iPhone and then getting a discount off the S8?

Reactions: Jetcat3

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So basically the S8 + is the same height as the iPhone 7 + and thinner but has .7 inches more of screen real estate. Take my money.
[doublepost=1489042485][/doublepost]
why can't Samsung make a gs8 with the same size screen as the gs7 without top and bottom bezels?

not everyone wants a bigger or taller device.

I'm hoping a gs7 mini comes out with same soc and gs7 screen in a smaller size.i don't get why Samsung has 5 models competing against each other in the plus 5.1 size screens.

gs8 5.1
gs8 plus 5.5
note 8 6.0

you don't need 3 phones with almost the same size screen and bigger bodies.
Personally I love phablets and I'm eyeing up the S8+ however I don't get why Samsung would make the regular S8 that big. Yes it will be small and probably the same size as the S7 but I think some people are going to be put off when they hear the new screen size. They are doing the opposite of Apple this year it seems. Apple are going too small for me and Samsung are going to big for some people.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Given the size of the 8+, I hope they have the balls to transition the Note into an even bigger phablet category for true productivity. Just a tad closer to an actual tablet in size.

Given their new screen to footprint ratio, such a screen size could be mind blowing, without the device being completely unwieldy. Much smaller than say an iPad Mini, but still offering something even more than the 8+ for vids, design work, document editing and not to forget gaming... Stuff it full of the hottest hardware...

I wouldn't mind the bulge myself ;) Though I know I'm probably dreaming...

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Been leaning towards the regular S8 but if the S8+ is the same price, I may just go for that.

I find bigger phones stop me using them one-handed, which in turn stops me using them too much! (Especially in bed meaning I sleep better lol)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Been leaning towards the regular S8 but if the S8+ is the same price, I may just go for that.

I find bigger phones stop me using them one-handed, which in turn stops me using them too much! (Especially in bed meaning I sleep better lol)
I think the S8+ will be more just like the S7 edge was more expensive than the regular 7 last year or the S6 edge was more expensive than the S6.

Reactions: JaySoul

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Galaxy S8/8+ to have super fast facial recognition software.

http://m.gsmarena.com/report_says_samsung_galaxy_s8_will_feature_facial_recognition-news-23871.php

"With a face scanner, it will take less than 0.01 seconds to unlock the phone."

Interesting! I think that makes sense. 4 ways to unlock the phone, giving options to the user.

1) Iris scanner would be great for more secure things e.g. banking/private folder etc

2) Facial recognition would be good for daylight, driving, when you can't pick it up

3) PIN/Pattern as per usual

4) Fingerprint on the back when taking it out of pocket etc

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I suppose that mitigates the fact that the fingerprint scanner is on the back now. However are they going to have this and the iris scanner on the phone? It seems a bit redundant to have them both in there.
I want what ever works the fastest tbh. I am still not sure about the FP scanner placement next to the camera. I would rather it be under the camera and round myself.

Reactions: EvvieLynn

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I want what ever works the fastest tbh. I am still not sure about the FP scanner placement next to the camera. I would rather it be under the camera and round myself.
Yes in the middle under the camera would be easier to access.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

http://m.gsmarena.com/report_says_samsung_galaxy_s8_will_feature_facial_recognition-news-23871.php

Well poop, now I am finally interested in this phone. Well...I was also curious about Bixby. I've had my heart set on the LG G6 but I would actually find this useful...IF all you have to do is get your face in range.

Of course some people would fuss that law enforcement could get into your phone easier. But there are surely to be settings you could change to address that.

I did not want to like this phone because I am so sick and tired of curved edges. Blah.

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I feel guilty for not being hyped for this release ..... I want to see it, and see what they do with it, but I don't have any compulsion or plan to buy.

Had they made a 'smaller' version and flat edges I haven't would be planning a purchase, but I know edgeless just frustrates me.

Glad you are all getting excited though. I'll just live vicariously through you all for this release :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I feel guilty for not being hyped for this release ..... I want to see it, and see what they do with it, but I don't have any compulsion or plan to buy.

Had they made a 'smaller' version and flat edges I haven't would be planning a purchase, but I know edgeless just frustrates me.

Glad you are all getting excited though. I'll just live vicariously through you all for this release :)
I am guardedly excited.....I too wish they had a flat model. But then the Note 7 was better about false touches than the S7 edge so hopefully the S8 will evolve as well. What I am most cautious about is the FP scanner placement. But I will wait and try it during my 14 day return window.

Reactions: MRU and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Ah, I'm not hyped up, either. More like "finally interested" as opposed to leaning back against a wall with my hat brim pulled over my eyes and my arms crossed saying "Whatever". Which is a picturesque approximation of my reaction to most of the leaks and rumors so far. :p

And it's not because I dislike Samsung, but I already have two perfectly excellent Samsungs and I found the feature set of the LG G6 more compelling...up to a point. I'm a fan of good serviceable Artificial Intelligence on a smart phone...which Siri rarely is anymore. :( Bixby could really sway me if he's any good. I'm not so keen on having to activate him with a dedicated button rather than voice, though. I hope he can also be activate by voice and serve up a rich set of features via voice like Alexa does, because so much of my day is spent with me working at something where my hands are too dirty or too clean (food prep) to be touching the phone.

My other reason for leaning against that wall is that I don't trust any of this to be refined yet. I worry Samsung is doing its usual schtick of throwing everything into it and running around like hyped up little kids with their school art project. They did that on Note 7 and customers and carriers got burned on it. Pardon the expression.

Instead of jumping up and down with excitement over hearing about the facial recognition, I'm merely interested. I find myself thinking "please tell me you all thought this through and didn't just fine some spare space and cram it in there, test it a few times, and call it a day."

LG has a terrible track record themselves for reliability and workmanship and the LG G6 is not nearly as exciting as the S8, but apparently they tested the heck out of it and put a lot of thought into every feature and spec. ...and then they shot themselves in the foot with weird regional differences...but nobody's perfect. :confused::eek::rolleyes::D

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I'm sure you will end up buying it. You won't be able to help yourself.:p

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Interesting

We all know what the device will look like but we will be surprised by some features I'm sure. The new assistant will be interesting and how good it is.

Siri has become poor for me lately. Not sure if that's software related or not but barely understands me.
[doublepost=1489068747][/doublepost]
Lol, I know I say it every year .... this year I mean it ;)
That's like a fat kid saying I'm going to macDonald's just for a coffee.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Interesting

We all know what the device will look like but we will be surprised by some features I'm sure. The new assistant will be interesting and how good it is.

Siri has become poor for me lately. Not sure if that's software related or not but barely understands me.
[doublepost=1489068747][/doublepost]
That's like a fat kid saying I'm going to macDonald's just for a coffee.
I and my family have noticed Siri has gotten hard of hearing and less intelligent, too. I really am at a loss to figure it out. I've run tests on my iPhone 7, and Google Assistant on Allo gets my speech very accurately, so I have figured out that it's not a mic issue, as Apple execs had tried to imply several months ago. Nor a processor issue, I would guess.

Siri seems slower to react and slower to return answers and she doesn't seem to understand me very well anymore. I keep reading how Apple has all these teams working on Siri and places great importance on Siri so why is she getting noticeably worse, especially at parsing speech?

I have always been a big fan of Siri and defended my experience of her abilities on this board. Now the fact is that Siri is as difficult for me to use as she has been for the men and some women outside of the US, who have been having problems with Siri for ages. I always thought men in particular were having trouble with her because their deeper voices could be picked up as mumbling. Goodness knows I have that problem making sense of my husband's speech, myself.

Throw in a thick regional accent into the mix and I can understand the challenges. But I have a medium to high pitched tone and had a career speaking to the public, where it was essential that I developed the habit of enunciating clearly and making myself easily understood. I should not be having the problems with Siri that I've been having.

Sorry for derailing the thread a little but AI is an important feature to me. I'm eagerly waiting to see who will have the best implementation of it for 2017. I still am in shock that Samsung acquired most of the team who created Siri.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I and my family have noticed Siri has gotten hard of hearing and less intelligent, too. I really am at a loss to figure it out. I've run tests on my iPhone 7, and Google Assistant on Allo gets my speech very accurately, so I have figured out that it's not a mic issue, as Apple execs had tried to imply several months ago. Nor a processor issue, I would guess.

Siri seems slower to react and slower to return answers and she doesn't seem to understand me very well anymore. I keep reading how Apple has all these teams working on Siri and places great importance on Siri so why is she getting noticeably worse, especially at parsing speech?

I have always been a big fan of Siri and defended my experience of her abilities on this board. Now the fact is that Siri is as difficult for me to use as she has been for the men and some women outside of the US, who have been having problems with Siri for ages. I always thought men in particular were having trouble with her because their deeper voices could be picked up as mumbling. Goodness knows I have that problem making sense of my husband's speech, myself.

Throw in a thick regional accent into the mix and I can understand the challenges. But I have a medium to high pitched tone and had a career speaking to the public, where it was essential that I developed the habit of enunciating clearly and making myself easily understood. I should not be having the problems with Siri that I've been having.

Sorry for derailing the thread a little but AI is an important feature to me. I'm eagerly waiting to see who will have the best implementation of it for 2017. I still am in shock that Samsung acquired most of the team who created Siri.
This is why I'm hoping bixby is good as on the S8 we will have that and google assistant. Looking forward to trying google assistant. Can't imagine it not being available on the S8 as I believe it is on all devices 7.0

I liked using Siri but for me it doesn't compare to google assistant from what I have seen.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Apple became too complacent with Siri. It shouldn't take till 2016 to offer a third party developer SDK to offer the ability to use something Uber via Siri. Google Now was better than Siri for the last few years. Now, the Google Assistant took AI assisting to another level. Cortana needs to step it up a bit still. Alexa is way better than Siri too. I don't have much faith in "Bixby" now that they say it's S-Voice based. I want to be pleasantly surprised with the S8's AI though. At least the Google Assistant will be a backup to Bixby. But the companies announcing "Google Assistant will be on their devices" don't have much of an advantage over those devices with Marshmallow and Nougat running the latest Google Play Services update?

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.