Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Has anybody seen the SAR values for the S8 yet? Samsung used to offer low SAR values in the S6 but the S7 was worse than the iPhone in this regard, I'm curious if they went back to lower SAR values for the S8.

Not sure where you read that the iPhone ever had lower SAR values. Samsung has always had some of the lowest in the industry. In fact, It's not even close.

20170306_194258.jpg

20170306_194231.jpg

Last edited:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Not sure where you read that the iPhone ever had lower SAR values. Samsung has always had some of the lowest in the industry. In fact, It's never been even close.

View attachment 691285
View attachment 691286

Edit: Just saw the pictures that you posted, they weren't showing up until after I had posted. I'm editing my post accordingly.

It does look like the S7 (verizon version) does have a lower SAR values according to: http://www.samsung.com/sar/sarMain?site_cd=&prd_mdl_name=SM-G930V&selNatCd=US&languageCode=EN

iPhone 7: https://www.apple.com/legal/rfexposure/iphone9,1/en/

I had originally read from another site that the S7 was higher. Thanks for the correction. That said, I think it's safe to assume that the S8 will be lower than the iPhone 7, I just hope it's lower than the S7 as well and I hope it goes back to the S6 numbers:

http://www.samsung.com/sar/sarMain?site_cd=&prd_mdl_name=SM-G920V&selNatCd=US&languageCode=EN

Last edited:

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Edit: Just saw the pictures that you posted, they weren't showing up until after I had posted. I'm editing my post accordingly.

It does look like the S7 (verizon version) does have a lower SAR values according to: http://www.samsung.com/sar/sarMain?site_cd=&prd_mdl_name=SM-G930V&selNatCd=US&languageCode=EN

iPhone 7: https://www.apple.com/legal/rfexposure/iphone9,1/en/

I had originally read from another site that the S7 was higher. Thanks for the correction. That said, I think it's safe to assume that the S8 will be lower than the iPhone 7, I just hope it's lower than the S7 as well and I hope it goes back to the S6 numbers:

http://www.samsung.com/sar/sarMain?site_cd=&prd_mdl_name=SM-G920V&selNatCd=US&languageCode=EN

Go to rfsafe website. Lots of articles.

Reactions: JaySoul

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's one site I was reading from, I was just curious if the S8 had any information at this point. Thanks!

Not at this point in time because we don't have specifics, only leaked data. SARs will be lower on the list than other specs and the like. I apologize, but that's the way data comes out.

Reactions: timeconsumer

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Not at this point in time because we don't have specifics, only leaked data. SARs will be lower on the list than other specs and the like. I apologize, but that's the way data comes out.
Fair enough, thank you for that information. I realize it's probably not popular information but for me it's something I'm interested in. This phone (judging from the leaks/photos) has me intrigued.

Reactions: nviz22

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hope the speaker/speakers are good. Everyone is talking about the screen but in my opinion the speaker is almost as important when watching videos. The speaker has never been Samsungs strong side so I hope they change that with the S8.
yeah you're right....ever since they added waterproofing. It took a little away from the sound/speaker quality.

Reactions: epicrayban

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
yeah you're right....ever since they added waterproofing. It took a little away from the sound/speaker quality.

Yeah. But now we know you don't have to sacrifice the audio because of waterproofing, look at iphone 7. And those speakers almost makes up for that tiny low res screen when watching videos.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't foresee we'll see huge speaker improvements in the S8. I obviously hope I'm proven wrong.

The Harman deal that went down hopefully means better speakers are coming soon. Perhaps in the Note 8 or the S9. Doubtful anything is ready for the S8. Hopefully there are general speaker improvements though. For me, wanting better speakers is primarily for navigation in the car.

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If that galaxy background is really part of the AOD, that's going to be really cool for a lot of people.

If I were interested in this phone at all, I would consider this particular phone in black, only. Based on the leaked photos I've seen so far, the black is what will best show off the infinity bezel look and that star speckled background.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I don't foresee we'll see huge speaker improvements in the S8. I obviously hope I'm proven wrong.

The Harman deal that went down hopefully means better speakers are coming soon. Perhaps in the Note 8 or the S9. Doubtful anything is ready for the S8. Hopefully there are general speaker improvements though. For me, wanting better speakers is primarily for navigation in the car.
you can use the car speakers via Bluetooth.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If that galaxy background is really part of the AOD, that's going to be really cool for a lot of people.

If I were interested in this phone at all, I would consider this particular phone in black, only. Based on the leaked photos I've seen so far, the black is what will best show off the infinity bezel look and that star speckled background.

If it remains logoless, I have no doubt the black version will be the hottest seller. I am almost certain that's the way I'll go, too.

If there is a logo, I'll give more consideration to the other colors. I would consider a deep rich blue, too.
[doublepost=1488902802][/doublepost]
you can use the car speakers via Bluetooth.

Yeah, except it interrupts my music playing. ;)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Has the actual battery size been revealed for the 8+ ? I heard rumors it was tiny which is a deal breaker. Since it's a 6.2" screen it better be bigger than the 3,600mAh battery in the 5.7" S7 Edge

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I'll be honest, I have never encountered a single person in public ever using the speakers on their phone. Everyone I've seen consuming media or just talking, are always using their earbuds/headphones. There will never be a set of phone speakers that beat using earbuds. As we know, this year a set of AKGs will be in the box.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I'll be honest, I have never encountered a single person in public ever using the speakers on their phone. Everyone I've seen consuming media or just talking, are anyways using their earbuds/headphones. There will never be a set of phone speakers that beat using earbuds. As we know, this year a set of AKGs will be in the box.
I use mine quite a bit, especially for gaming, occasionally for movies or shorter clips. And I'll use them for music every so often too, especially when I want to play a song to a friend or something and I don't have hifi equipment around.

It's definitely nice to have a decent pair of speakers. I use iPhone 7+ at the moment and I'm really enjoying having them and notice the difference from the 6+. And I certainly felt it as a negative when I used the Note 2 and 3 with their puny speaker on the back.

Whether they're as good as earbuds is an irrelevant perspective honestly. They are precisely for moments when you prefer not to use earbuds.

I'm hoping Samsung still manage to wedge some decent stereo speakers on the S8, even if the display takes up almost the whole front. They could have them facing directly outward or even slightly back, if they're stereo speakers that'll still make a difference.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'll be honest, I have never encountered a single person in public ever using the speakers on their phone. Everyone I've seen consuming media or just talking, are anyways using their earbuds/headphones. There will never be a set of phone speakers that beat using earbuds. As we know, this year a set of AKGs will be in the box.
hah, you havent been on the NYC subway I see. Plenty of people have no decency.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So sexy. Getting a slight Iron Man vibe off the shape of that display. And...still no logo......

Dying to see an iPhone 7 Plus next to the big one for size comparison.

Would love to see that comparison, too. Currently, the iPhone Plus is downright embarrassing in size next to 2017 flagships like the S7, Note 7, 3T, and even the Pixel XL. It'll be even more true with the S8 offerings. The iPhone X may finally challenge that later this year, but you may have to shell out top dollar in a third and even higher tier model to get it. Sucks, in my opinion.

What I really can't wait to see is a size comparison between the S7 series and the S8 series, particularly with the two smaller models.

[doublepost=1488906429][/doublepost]
Another leak form the same people that leaked that very short video. Good size comparison pic of both models.

View attachment 691334

You know what's another interesting thing? These guys have screen protectors.

I wonder if Samsung heard all the complaints about poor screen protector options for the S7 and Note, and decided to just made their own official screen protectors. I think that would make a lot of people feel better about committing to edge displays. Wonder if we'll see something like that announced.

And if Samsung was really smart, they should include it already applied out of the box (ala OnePlus 3T).

[doublepost=1488906657][/doublepost]More closeups:

Galaxy-S8-Leaks3-735x980.jpeg

Galaxy-S8-Leaks1.jpeg

^^^ those don't look like speakers that got much better...

Galaxy-S8-Leaks4.jpeg

More here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...d-by-various-screen-protector-designs_id91755

These definitely look like they are leaks from Asia. We might still see a logo yet on the front in the US... I'm not getting my hopes too high for logoless front.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Would love to see that comparison, too. Currently, the iPhone Plus is downright embarrassing in size next to 2017 flagships like the S7, Note 7, 3T, and even the Pixel XL. It'll be even more true with the S8 offerings. The iPhone X may finally challenge that later this year, but you may have to shell out top dollar in a third and even higher tier model to get it. Sucks, in my opinion.

What I really can't wait to see is a size comparison between the S7 series and the S8 series, particularly with the two smaller models.

I wonder if Samsung heard all the complaints about poor screen protector options for the S7 and Note, and decided to just made their own official screen protectors. I think that would make a lot of people feel better about committing to edge displays. Wonder if we'll see something like that announced.

And if Samsung was really smart, they should include it already applied out of the box (ala OnePlus 3T).

Galaxy-S8-Leaks1.jpeg

Galaxy-S8-Leaks4.jpeg

More here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...d-by-various-screen-protector-designs_id91755

These definitely look like they are leaks from Asia. We might still see a logo yet on the front in the US... I'm not getting my hopes too high for logoless front.
That is one nice looking black slab of a phone! I really hope they don't ruin the aesthetics with a logo on the front.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I agree with all esc

Galaxy-S8-Leaks1.jpeg

Galaxy-S8-Leaks4.jpeg

I agree about all except the pixel. The plus and xl are basically the same size. The pixel is no way
That is one nice looking black slab of a phone! I really hope they don't ruin the aesthetics with a logo on the front.
im telling you I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon had an always on logo lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.