Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
They must have a reason.

Maybe having the fingerprint sensor, camera module and flash/HR next to each other creates a lot more space underneath for internals/battery that are already getting squeezed due to smaller bezels.

(I'm not saying that reason makes sense, but...)
Actually that's pretty much what the reps for LG said when they were explaining why the LG G6 is constructed the way it is. They explained there was a limited amount of space to work with and one of their decisions (I can't remember what it was) was based on wishing to avoid having to stick the fingerprint sensor higher up on near the camera.

The S8 is definitely a phone I would have to see in person and hold in my hand to fall in love with. I'm just not feeling it based on photos like I did for the S7/S7 Edge and Note 7. I know the fit and finish will be gorgeous. I'm just not feeling the overwhelming roundness of it all, based on the photos.

I think it will probably be very nice to hold, though.

My S7 and my S7 Edge are works of art. I never get tired of looking at them.

Reactions: epicrayban

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Actually that's pretty much what the reps for LG said when they were explaining why the LG G6 is constructed the way it is. They explained there was a limited amount of space to work with and one of their decisions (I can't remember what it was) was based on wishing to avoid having to stick the fingerprint sensor higher up on near the camera.

The S8 is definitely a phone I would have to see in person and hold in my hand to fall in love with. I'm just not feeling it based on photos like I did for the S7/S7 Edge and Note 7. I know the fit and finish will be gorgeous. I'm just not feeling the overwhelming roundness of it all, based on the photos.

I think it will probably be very nice to hold, though.

My S7 and my S7 Edge are works of art. I never get tired of looking at them.

I hear that.

My S7 Edge is so good, it gives very little justification for switching to the S8. Samsung really knocked it out of the park.

My only qualm is the speaker. It's not bad but I wish it was like the old HTC Boomsound days.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Zoiks, the sensors kind of distract a bit from the "infinity display" look. If I were calling the shots, I think I would make the backs colorful but make the bezels on this model all black to perpetuate the illusion of there being no bezels, at least when the display is off and there's nothing on the display to distract you from the sensors.

But again...it's just a photo. I'm sure when I see these phones in person I'll be slack jawed and drooling with everyone else.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Zoiks, the sensors kind of distract a bit from the "infinity display" look. If I were calling the shots, I think I would make the backs colorful but make the bezels on this model all black to perpetuate the illusion of there being no bezels, at least when the display is off and there's nothing on the display to distract you from the sensors.

But again...it's just a photo. I'm sure when I see these phones in person I'll be slack jawed and drooling with everyone else.

My sentiments exactly---the colored bezels take away from the design and IMO, are actually a bit jarring.

The all black fronts though.... :cool:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I hear that.

My S7 Edge is so good, it gives very little justification for switching to the S8. Samsung really knocked it out of the park.

My only qualm is the speaker. It's not bad but I wish it was like the old HTC Boomsound days.
I was just reading speculation that the S8 will have stereo sound. I hope so. I do like it on my iPhone. It's not as good as even the front facing stereo speakers on my Nintendo 3DXL (which are shockingly good and immersive) but it's better than one bottom firing single speaker. There's nowhere to go but up from that.

The rumored specs indicate this phone will be really impressive. I'm definitely intrigued. But not in a grab-my-wallet way. I'm saving that kind of anticipation for the Note 8. I miss my S-Pen that I had so tragically briefly with the Note 7.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah that's something that all OEMs will have to figure out. How to make nearly bezel-less displays that still incorporates all the necessary front sensors.

I foresee black phones really gaining more popularity in this regard.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I was just reading speculation that the S8 will have stereo sound. I hope so. I do like it on my iPhone. It's not as good as even the front facing stereo speakers on my Nintendo 3DXL (which are shockingly good and immersive) but it's better than one bottom firing single speaker. There's nowhere to go but up from that.

The rumored specs indicate this phone will be really impressive. I'm definitely intrigued. But not in a grab-my-wallet way. I'm saving that kind of anticipation for the Note 8. I miss my S-Pen that I had so tragically briefly with the Note 7.

I haven't heard a peep about stereo speakers in the s8. Source?

Would be great, if true.
[doublepost=1488811569][/doublepost]Another leak:
https://9to5google.com/2017/03/06/galaxy-s8-leak-always-on-home-button-ir-blaster/

Always on home button?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Would be great, if true.
I'm going to have to try and find it again. It's not in my browser history because I was reading in Private mode since I don't use an ad blocker on my iPad and don't want to be tracked. I'll post it when I find it.

Update....the article I had read a few minutes ago was from February (still can't find it) but it referenced the Harman buyout and those rumors and speculations date back to December, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah that's something that all OEMs will have to figure out. How to make nearly bezel-less displays that still incorporates all the necessary front sensors.

I foresee black phones really gaining more popularity in this regard.

I like having the different colored frames and back panels---just really not a fan of the white (a la iPhone or Pixel) or color matched front bezels--really disrupts the aesthetic, especially in the sensor area.

I think phones like the Nexus 6P got it right--a selection of different colors but keeping the front panel black across all models.

I realize this matter is purely subjective and understand others like the colored/white surrounding bezels. They're certainly entitled to those preferences......even though they're wrong. ;):D (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Cool

Would be great, if true.
[doublepost=1488811569][/doublepost]Another leak:
https://9to5google.com/2017/03/06/galaxy-s8-leak-always-on-home-button-ir-blaster/

Always on home button?

That's a GREAT idea! Hadn't even considered that.

The thing I really appreciate about Samsung (over Apple, in particular) is that generally, they really leave it all out on the field every year.

OK sometimes they go OTT and chuck every half-decent idea into their S series but at least they don't stage features in a ridiculously long roadmap (ahem, Apple). They give their all year after year, and sometimes it will (literally) combust but I like that about them.

In fact, the iPhone 7 is the first time for ages that Apple have come close to doing that, but then the design barely changed.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm going to have to try and find it again. It's not in my browser history because I was reading in Private mode since I don't use an ad blocker on my iPad and don't want to be tracked. I'll post it when I find it.

Update....the article I had read a few minutes ago was from February (still can't find it) but it referenced the Harman buyout and those rumors and speculations date back to December, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ah, yeah, the Harman buyout thing I remember reading about, but I doubt that'll make it in time into the S8. Perhaps the Note 8 or S9...

Either way, hope stereo speakers or generally improved speakers is in the cards for the S8. It would be another wonderful thing for the S8 to check off.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Im all for less bezels but it does come to a point where you need to grip the phone. There maybe issues when using the phone horizontally.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
White model
fc59bc8c95097a734d394b54576b4d5a.jpg
972299f03673fd871806421ecef8dbbf.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Im all for less bezels but it does come to a point where you need to grip the phone. There maybe issues when using the phone horizontally.

Yep, definitely less room for gripping.

If we're venturing into a more and more bezel-less future, this is something we'll all have to learn to get used to. Much like any novel technology, there is a learning curve to it. As it becomes more commonplace, the technology should also improve, too (better palm rejection, for example, etc.).

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yep, definitely less room for gripping.

If we're venturing into a more and more bezel-less future, this is something we'll all have to learn to get used to. Much like any novel technology, there is a learning curve to it. As it becomes more commonplace, the technology should also improve, too (better palm rejection, for example, etc.).

Grip is one element but I've now also come to appreciate having dual speakers (preferable front facing) of decent quality as well. Here's hoping as the screens stretch closer to the edges that these don't fall by the wayside. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the LG G6 has them, nor is the S8 rumored to have them either.

I'll gladly take a bit more bezel if it means we still get have these in our phones.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Reliable leaker Evan Bass says S8 launch is pushed back a week:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Repo...se-pushed-back-one-week-to-April-28th_id91726

Report: Samsung Galaxy S8 release pushed back one week to April 28th (UPDATE)

According to a subsequent tweet from Blass, the reason for the delay could be due to both Qualcomm and Samsung achieving low yields with the production of the 10nm Snapdragon 835 and Samsung Exynos 8895 chipsets.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Reliable leaker Evan Bass says S8 launch is pushed back a week:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Repo...se-pushed-back-one-week-to-April-28th_id91726

Report: Samsung Galaxy S8 release pushed back one week to April 28th (UPDATE)

According to a subsequent tweet from Blass, the reason for the delay could be due to both Qualcomm and Samsung achieving low yields with the production of the 10nm Snapdragon 835 and Samsung Exynos 8895 chipsets.

As long as it doesn't affect my pre-order. And I will be ordering ASAP!!!

They should call it the spider 8 with all those eyes.

Which is why Black will be my choice of color, unless they make emerald green available.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I think I have a good plan now: S7 for $350 brand new after tax outright on sale today. Trade in for a free or cost reduced S8 with T-Mobile. I am selling my Nexus 5X for like $200 later on and then going to sell my free SD Card to my friend for $15. If Samsung honors a discount from work, I am looking at $300 for the S7 then.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Has anybody seen the SAR values for the S8 yet? Samsung used to offer low SAR values in the S6 but the S7 was worse than the iPhone in this regard, I'm curious if they went back to lower SAR values for the S8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.