Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Yeah, I've always done black or white. The only other color that almost got me to venture outside of those colors was the blue/brass color combination on the Note 7. So nice. They need to offer that with the S8 on launch in all markets.

Reactions: jamezr

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Fingers crossed they have a solid black model with a black frame like the Note 7. Keep it simple, classic, and stylish.
I just hope to god that Samsung doesn't copy Apple and make an ugly looking jet black or jet white phone. The jet black is the ugliest looking color and cheapest looking of all the iPhones.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I just hope to god that Samsung doesn't copy Apple and make an ugly looking jet black or jet white phone. The jet black is the ugliest looking color and cheapest looking of all the iPhones.

To each his own. I think exactly the opposite--find my jet black iPhone stunning. The jet black finish gives the entire phone a near seamless appearance, almost like one big slab of glass (especially when the phone is off--no visible antenna lines or front bezels without looking very closely).

IMO, Samsung tarnished the beautiful front lines of their last few designs with colored bezels and their logo. The leaked image of the black version finally fixes those flaws.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

They already did with Pearl Black lol.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
To each his own. I think exactly the opposite--find my jet black iPhone stunning. The jet black finish gives the entire phone a near seamless appearance, almost like one big slab of glass (especially when the phone is off--no visible antenna lines or front bezels without looking very closely).

IMO, Samsung tarnished the beautiful front lines of their last few designs with colored bezels and their logo. The leaked image of the black version finally fixes those flaws.
I prefer the Matt black.

I might get the S8+ in black.

Reactions: tbayrgs

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
http://news.softpedia.com/news/sams...of-ram-shows-up-in-benchmark-too-513565.shtml

This might be one of the weakest Snapdragon upgrades yet. Doesn't even come close to the A9 in single-core!

I bet the Exynos will leave it in the dust.

Benchmarks are overrated. Real world performance matters even if the device has the highest benchmarks possible. For me, the Note 5 is plenty fast enough, so anything better is good for me. As a former A10 device owner, that device was incredibly fast, but not to the point I notice the Note 5 being laggy.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Comparing benchmarks of CPUs on 2 different OS's is a complete waste of time. The results are meaningless.
True, but comparing the Snapdragon variant to the Exynos is fair game. Mainly, I'm just disappointed in the slow progress Qualcomm has made ever since the Snapdragon 800.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Comparing benchmarks of CPUs on 2 different OS's is a complete waste of time. The results are meaningless.
Totally agree....benchmarks are misleading to say the least when it comes to everyday user experience.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
the new Geekbench 4 favors iOS because of the added web browser script.apple owns the code and is highly optimized in the script and scores incredibly high on HTML web testing.

if you look at the numbers closely you will see how high apple gets in those scripts to boost it's single core numbers .

to get a better idea how the 835 runs compare it on Geekbench 3

the gs7 snapdragon 820 scores 2320 in single score on Geekbench 3 and 1600 on Geekbench 4.its because of that added test they use that majorly favors iOS.

the 835 will score 2800-3000 single core in geekbench 3 and is neck to neck with a10 on that testing.

Geekbench 4 numbers went up on the iPhone going from 3 to 4 and on Android all the numbers went down because of that 1 script that favors ios
[doublepost=1488654321][/doublepost]here is my gs7 Geekbench 3 vs Geekbench 4 just shows how this synthetic benchmark means nothing.

Screenshot_20170112-192139.png

Screenshot_20170112-192139.png
Screenshot_20170304-140233.png

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
the new Geekbench 4 favors iOS because of the added web browser script.apple owns the code and is highly optimized in the script and scores incredibly high on HTML web testing.

if you look at the numbers closely you will see how high apple gets in those scripts to boost it's single core numbers .

to get a better idea how the 835 runs compare it on Geekbench 3

the gs7 snapdragon 820 scores 2320 in single score on Geekbench 3 and 1600 on Geekbench 4.its because of that added test they use that majorly favors iOS.

the 835 will score 2800-3000 single core in geekbench 3 and is neck to neck with a10 on that testing.

Geekbench 4 numbers went up on the iPhone going from 3 to 4 and on Android all the numbers went down because of that 1 script that favors ios
[doublepost=1488654321][/doublepost]here is my gs7 Geekbench 3 vs Geekbench 4 just shows how this synthetic benchmark means nothing.

View attachment 690943

View attachment 690943 View attachment 690944

I always love it when people try to come up with excuses for why their favorite thing loses in anything. Then they post up irrelevant evidence.

Reactions: Truefan31

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I always love it when people try to come up with excuses for why their favorite thing loses in anything. Then they post up irrelevant evidence.
Yep....inevitable for the Apple fans to post in Samsung threads how their choice is better because of benchmarks.

But miss the point about actually using a phone. It is all about the user experience not benchmarks or specs....
[doublepost=1488657098][/doublepost]
I'm in for day one. Will hold me over until iPhone 8 which I foresee keeping all year.
I have a 7+, S7e and Pixel XL.....will get the S8+ this year and 8 Plus and Pixel2 XL variety is the spice of life....

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
lol I just bought an iPhone 7 plus 128gb

And I have all three major platforms. But that still doesn't make your "evidence" real.

Yep....inevitable for the Apple fans to post in Samsung threads how their choice is better because of benchmarks.

But miss the point about actually using a phone. It is all about the user experience not benchmarks or specs....
[doublepost=1488657098][/doublepost]
I have a 7+, S7e and Pixel XL.....will get the S8+ this year and 8 Plus and Pixel2 XL variety is the spice of life....

Bingo. Just say it's about the experience. It's why I still don't feel bad about spending that money on the X3 even if I end up going back to the 7 Plus. The experience of the X3 is amazing.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
And I have all three major platforms. But that still doesn't make your "evidence" real.

Bingo. Just say it's about the experience. It's why I still don't feel bad about spending that money on the X3 even if I end up going back to the 7 Plus. The experience of the X3 is amazing.
I have been looking at a X3 locally for sale. It is $345 it is a very beautiful phone and the performance from what I have read is top notch.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I have been looking at a X3 locally for sale. It is $345 it is a very beautiful phone and the performance from what I have read is top notch.

Dang, I spent over 1k on that lap dock/desktop dock/ X3 combo and you find it for 345?

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

if you have all 3 platforms you can easily see how Geekbench 4 iOS numbers went up over Geekbench 3 while Android went down.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
if you have all 3 platforms you can easily see how Geekbench 4 iOS numbers went up over Geekbench 3 while Android went down.

Yes, because they changed how it works. They even explained why. It isn't some conspiracy to make iOS look better, though.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Yes, because they changed how it works. They even explained why. It isn't some conspiracy to make iOS look better, though.
Exactly. And it's not the only benchmark to show that Snapdragon devices have been trailing behind other SoCs, for example, AnTuTu.

I'm also curious why Samsung hasn't offered the true-tone flash in their flagships. They've had an opportunity to do so since the S5 in 2014, but for some reason, they chose not to.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/gala...amsung-forum-2017-event-in-china-513564.shtml

Even their mid-range phones have it now!

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

run the tests and look at the individual numbers for each specific script and you will see how high the iOS device scores on HTML browser runs.

care to explain how the iPhone 7 scores higher in geekbench 4 vs Geekbench 3?

iOS scores increased going to Geekbench 4 while Android went down.its that added web script they added that gave iOS the boost.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
run the tests and look at the individual numbers for each specific script and you will see how high the iOS device scores on HTML browser runs.

care to explain how the iPhone 7 scores higher in geekbench 4 vs Geekbench 3?

iOS scores increased going to Geekbench 4 while Android went down.its that added web script they added that gave iOS the boost.

And then ask why the Kirin 950 went up in score and why the Snapdragon 600 and 801 had small gains as well. Care to explain that?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
And then ask why the Kirin 950 went up in score and why the Snapdragon 600 and 801 had small gains as well. Care to explain that?
They can't because the reality is Snapdragon SoCs were scoring higher than they should have.

I buy Apple products, but I'm not against Android or Samsung, nor do I mean to say that benchmarks give the whole picture. But there is certainly a trend here, and that is that Qualcomm has been slacking compared to the Apple A chips and Exynos chips.

I was hoping Samsung would stick to their own chips like when they released the S6, but they chose not to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.