Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
OK, not to put a damper on my own post, but did anyone notice how the wallpaper isn't full screen. If you zoom in on the top and bottom, you can notice there's a slight gap between the top/bottom of the wallpaper and the top/bottom bezels. It's more noticeable on the top. It makes the curved corners look like they're slightly cut off. From the leaked videos of working units, we know this is not the case with the display. So this still may be an actual press rendering but with sloppy editing, or maybe a fake. We'll find out soon enough.

It could just be an early non-press-ready render. I don't believe Evan has ever posted something that turned out to be a fake.

Reactions: jamezr

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
OK, here it is folks. The real deal. Gorgeous.
Looking at the second pic of the side profile, that is all Note 7. This device is definitely gonna feel good in the hand.

Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Leak-ATT-01-376x540.jpg
Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Leak-ATT-04-540x405.jpg
Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Leak-ATT-03-540x405.jpg
Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Leak-ATT-05-540x405.jpg

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Can't wait to see the official dimensions of these devices. Really hoping the regular S8 stays as close to the current S7 size as possible...

Reactions: nordique

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

dangskippy

Suspended
Mar 1, 2017
I have been waiting for this one to drop after what happened with the Note 7....but those rounded corners :(

Would look so much better like this:

7TPlozD.jpg

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Looks drop dead gorgeous for a phone. However, the press render and the current leaked photos have me a bit perplexed. I think that the software build on the leaked photos/videos feature an older Grace UX. The press render gives me hope for a newer looking Touchwiz UX update because it might mean more slimmed down software.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Looks like the volume rockers will be one long piece, instead of two separate up/down buttons. I guess cause of the Bixby button? Less confusion.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have been waiting for this one to drop after what happened with the Note 7....but those rounded corners :(

Would look so much better like this:
Yeah the rounded corners kind of threw me a bit, too. They're just a tiny bit too rounded, I think. It takes a bit of getting used to.

I want the Note 8, but I do worry they might cut into the battery size to accommodate the S-Pen like they did last time. Even then, they didn't really have enough space left for the battery. I'm worried they might jettison something else like the headphone jack.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm no designer, but tighter corners results in a better integration of the screen areas and not leave much empty space. The phone looks good. I like rocker buttons, so I see nothing wrong with Sammy's choice here. One piece means less chances of something breaking, and it should make repair easier if you abuse the rocket buttons a lot.

I don't mind TouchWiz much. Android animations are worse. I've always disabled the frilly BS through dev mode on my Sammy Ss.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah the rounded corners kind of threw me a bit, too. They're just a tiny bit too rounded, I think. It takes a bit of getting used to.

I want the Note 8, but I do worry they might cut into the battery size to accommodate the S-Pen like they did last time. Even then, they didn't really have enough space left for the battery. I'm worried they might jettison something else like the headphone jack.

If you don't use the S-Pen that much, then you could go for the S8+. The QHD screen isn't 4k, but it should be HDR compliant because the Note 7 was.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I will pre order it and use JoD.

I might, too.

Initially, I was going to wait to see first round issues (including battery concerns) and to perhaps wait for an unlocked one (it was 3 months-ish for the S7 unlocked, I believe), but given my failed venture with the Pixel, and since giving my 3T to my father, I'm back on my S6 and ready to upgrade.

FOLLOW UP: What's the deal with Jump on Demand? Can new customers still get on the JoD program? I keep hearing (from Tmo reps, too) that they're phasing it out? I had to get out of mine when I tried the Pixel.

Reactions: HiDEF and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I might, too.

Initially, I was going to wait to see first round issues (including battery concerns) and to perhaps wait for an unlocked one (it was 3 months-ish for the S7 unlocked, I believe), but given my failed venture with the Pixel, and since giving my 3T to my father, I'm back on my S6 and ready to upgrade.

FOLLOW UP: What's the deal with Jump on Demand? Can new customers still get on the JoD program? I keep hearing (from Tmo reps, too) that they're phasing it out? I had to get out of mine when I tried the Pixel.
I have heard different things from different reps. I would call to find out to make sure. For me personally.....if they cancel my JoD then I will move to VZW. They have better coverage than TMO but I stay because of JoD which fits my phone switching addiction perfectly :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I wonder what colors will be offered to the US. If there's a deep blue like with the Note7 had, I bet my husband will be tempted even though he, like me, really wants to hold out for the Note 8.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I wonder what colors will be offered to the US. If there's a deep blue like with the Note7 had, I bet my husband will be tempted even though he, like me, really wants to hold out for the Note 8.

Give me emerald green and I'll be extremely happy. But I doubt that will happen. Otherwise I just take the black. Loved their black on the Note 7, didn't like their blue color that much though.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Give me emerald green and I'll be extremely happy. But I doubt that will happen. Otherwise I just take the black. Loved their black on the Note 7, didn't like their blue color that much though.
Emerald green would be nice. I've seen pictures of such a color but never saw one in person. I think the blue was nice but would have been better with blue sides rather than Rose gold.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm looking forward to the color offerings, too, but if the design remains logo-less upfront, I'm almost 99% sure I'm going for the black one.

I'm also looking forward to the deals, too. ;)

Latest says April 10 is the pre-order date, and April 21st the launch date. Still quite some time away.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.