Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yeah of course, Samsung learnt their lession

That 6’2 inch S8 plus has my name on it. The iphone 8 better not have a 5.1 inch usable screen otherwise I think I may stick with S8 plus and my 7 plus. I think having two phones is my future. I just don’t know which I will use as my daily driver.
Yes that 6.2 inch display is too good to pass up and yes if the iPhone 8 only has a 5.1 inch display then I will either keep the 7 plus or get the 7S plus if the iterative updates are worth it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

That display ........

drooling-smiley.png

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I had my doubts about the 19:8 aspect ratio, but after seeing the G6 I'm sold and can't wait to see what Samsung and Apple do with this type of screen.

Now if I can only hold out until the Note 8.

I'm not a fan of the black bars on the sides when watching traditional HD video---reminds me of watch SD video on 16:9 ratio screens. Yes, just a personal preference/pet peeve but still, It would really irritate me after a while.

Same goes for the rounded display corners--not a fan of this latest trend either.

What's a guy gotta do to get a simple, flat, rectangular display? (Said in my best 'Get off my lawn you kids!! grumpy old man voice') ;):p

Reactions: v0lume4 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm not a fan of the black bars on the sides when watching traditional HD video---reminds me of watch SD video on 16:9 ratio screens. Yes, just a personal preference/pet peeve but still, It would really irritate me after a while.

Same goes for the rounded display corners--not a fan of this latest trend either.

What's a guy gotta do to get a simple, flat, rectangular display? (Said in my best 'Get off my lawn you kids!! grumpy old man voice') ;):p
I think there are several of us with you on that. Would love to have a flat S8 and Note 8....

Reactions: MRU

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

In principle same here. But actually maybe those black bars could be turned into something useful. How about housing sliding controls for brightness or sound, or whatever? So you don't have to pull down a menu or fidget with hardware buttons while watching?

Or even just let them be without controls at all! At which point they would become exactly those bezels which some of us miss so much on bezel-less phones because they're actually needed for holding the phone without obstructing the display while watching vids...? ;)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
In principle same here. But actually maybe those black bars could be turned into something useful. How about housing sliding controls for brightness or sound, or whatever? So you don't have to pull down a menu or fidget with hardware buttons while watching?

Or even just let them be without controls at all! At which point they would become exactly those bezels which some of us miss so much on bezel-less phones because they're actually needed for holding the phone without obstructing the display while watching vids...? ;)

LG's doing amazing things with the extra space. The camera software features look pretty useful and clever.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The video also confirms headphone jack.

Well done, Sammy. You don't have to copy every trend Apple does.

Reactions: Oohara

niceandeasy

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2017
It says on the official invite that it's launching on 29th March. It'd be pretty amazing if they actually did release it straight after the event.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I might still pick one up to play with it but I'm too invested in Apple to seriously think about switching. I've tried before. Samsung has some great features. Love the theme store. Hate the stupid things like the pop up if I simply want to turn the volume up.

Hate that, too. Luckily, they got rid of that during Nougat update. I think it only warns you once now and you can choose to never warn again, if I remember the Nougat beta correctly.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Hate that, too. Luckily, they got rid of that during Nougat update. I think it only warns you once now and you can choose to never warn again, if I remember the Nougat beta correctly.

No that ************ is still there.

Also, what's the word with any potential camera improvements? Will they save it for the S9?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
No that ************ is still there.

Also, what's the word with any potential camera improvements? Will they save it for the S9?

No way... I could've sworn I saw in the Nougat Beta something that god rid of it. It was the Nougat Beta though, so maybe they changed it back for the final build? I could have remembered wrong, too, but I remember being so relieved that was gone cause I hated that useless warning, too.

Ugh, if that's true, that's annoying.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
No way... I could've sworn I saw in the Nougat Beta something that god rid of it. It was the Nougat Beta though, so maybe they changed it back for the final build? I could have remembered wrong, too, but I remember being so relieved that was gone cause I hated that useless warning, too.

Ugh, if that's true, that's annoying.

Yeah. And not to make a big deal out of something small but when I connect my phone to my car, the iPhone volume is already pumping a pretty good volume that only needs to be adjusted via car volume. The S7 Edge comes in too low and needs to be adjusted via the phone volume buttons first. When I'm driving the last thing I want to be doing is messing around with not only volume buttons but then a volume warning.

It's little crap like that that keeps me on iOS.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Yeah. And not to make a big deal out of something small but when I connect my phone to my car, the iPhone volume is already pumping a pretty good volume that only needs to be adjusted via car volume. The S7 Edge comes in too low and needs to be adjusted via the phone volume buttons first. When I'm driving the last thing I want to be doing is messing around with not only volume buttons but then a volume warning.

It's little crap like that that keeps me on iOS.

The thing I really like on iOS that android needs to do is iOS remembers the volume level on your Bluetooth devices. So in my car I need the volume full blast on my phone to get normal sound from my stereo, but ok my jaybirds I generally keep it at half volume and the iPhone remembers this. Can't tell you how many times I forget this on my Note and when I connect my jaybirds the music is at full blast in my ears.

And also the battery meter for the Bluetooth device is shown on iOS, nowhere to be found on android.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'll wait out until end of summer before grabbing it. Looks good, though. Would be better with a matte finish.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The thing I really like on iOS that android needs to do is iOS remembers the volume level on your Bluetooth devices. So in my car I need the volume full blast on my phone to get normal sound from my stereo, but ok my jaybirds I generally keep it at half volume and the iPhone remembers this. Can't tell you how many times I forget this on my Note and when I connect my jaybirds the music is at full blast in my ears.

And also the battery meter for the Bluetooth device is shown on iOS, nowhere to be found on android.

But that's a little addition. I rather not have that intuitively happen than have a lobotomized Siri. It's all about trade offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.