Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
But what will the Note 7 do to consumer confidence in New devices? Not trolling, seriously asking.

Well, I had my S7 before the Note 7 debacle....and I will still opt to go for an S8 or S9 next year. My experience with the S7 has been incredible, its easily one of the best phones I've ever used. Its been my personal favourite smartphone experience since the iPhone 4 in 2010.

So for people like me, it has done nothing about consumer confidence.

However, if you were someone who had a Note 7 and went through that debacle, your opinion might be different...and for those people, I imagine they will be hesitant about it. If I went through the Note 7 kerfuffle, depending on my experience with Samsung customer service (which has been pretty good in my few dealings with them), would change my outlook on the S8 for either better or for worse.

If I was one of the few who has an exploding battery, I would certainly wait and see.

But I didn't - so I'm going to just wait and see if the S8 is worth it this year, or if I should just consider the S9 instead next year.

Reactions: JaySoul and MRU

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Lol, yeah we have no Apple Pay or Samsung Pay in Ireland at all, and Android Pay has just launched here but with only 1 Bank supporting it and not the biggest of the banks .... the electronic payments rollout outside of USA is generally pathetic ....
We are always waiting for stuff. Not just electronic payments but all the new tech stuff. The US get it all and then we have to wait an eternity to get it, if we ever do.

Reactions: MRU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
We are always waiting for stuff. Not just electronic payments but all the new tech stuff. The US get it all and then we have to wait an eternity to get it, if we ever do.
Lol, do NOT look at what LG just did regarding regional differences on its LG G6. You will be so cheesed off! Even if you had no intention of getting a G6. It's mind boggling and some differences are a bit insulting, really.

Smh, what are they thinking? At least Sammy's regional differences are Exynos vs Qualcomm (for legitimate reasons) and a few color options.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I might ask them to see if they can retroactively honor that pricing tbh because I am fed up with the Note 5's battery life tbh. Not to mention that I have the flu, so no chance to go to the store to go purchase a device in person.
Should have got the S7 Edge man. I am sitting here hammering mine and watching the battery trickle down ever so slowly.

At this rate the phone will be at around 50% when I got to bed in a few hours, it is disgustingly good, I have a wedding to go to tomorrow so will have to charge it up overnight.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Serious question, how does Evan bass know so much? How is he so connected to so many different companies?
No idea.

He reminds me of Eldar Murtazin from Mobile-Review in the Nokia days, that guy also had specs and even prototypes weeks before announcement.

I think they just have good contacts in carrier or logistics circles, would make the most sense as he has word on different types of devices.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
AKG branded earbuds included. Just announced during Samsungs MWC event. Looked nice!

C5nND-cWUAEAgnU.jpg:large

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
They only showed this. Unpacked event is on the 29th next month.
They almost pulled off a faux "And one more thing" with that video teaser.

I think the hints point at continuity of some sort where the phone will be a hub and can plug in and be your computer. Kind of like what Windows phones were doing. It's interesting that they partnered up with Microsoft on the Book tablety thing that I've already forgotten the name of.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
It's official: March 29 is the date!

The interesting thing is the two sets of leaked dimensions for S8 make a completely different shape. I wonder which one of these compares closest to the leaked renders/photos.

I can't decide which one I like better. Taller or wider. Hmm.

140.14 x 72.20 x 7.30 mm
148.9 x 68 x 8 mm

Considering that the G6 is 148.9mm, and the S8 might have a 5.8" instead of 5.7" display, the taller dimension seems more likely. Looking at the G6 next to other devices, it's very impressive.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I had my doubts about the 19:8 aspect ratio, but after seeing the G6 I'm sold and can't wait to see what Samsung and Apple do with this type of screen.

Now if I can only hold out until the Note 8.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's official: March 29 is the date!

Considering that the G6 is 148.9mm, and the S8 might have a 5.8" instead of 5.7" display, the taller dimension seems more likely. Looking at the G6 next to other devices, it's very impressive.

I had my doubts about the 19:8 aspect ratio, but after seeing the G6 I'm sold and can't wait to see what Samsung and Apple do with this type of screen.

Now if I can only hold out until the Note 8.

I can't believe the g6 is smaller than the S7 edge in size. A big part of that is the new aspect ratio.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Looking pretty good. I have a feeling I'm going to start regretting my 7+ purchase once these all-screen phones start hitting the nether :confused:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The S8 + had better be released in the U.K.
Yeah of course, Samsung learnt their lession

That 6’2 inch S8 plus has my name on it. The iphone 8 better not have a 5.1 inch usable screen otherwise I think I may stick with S8 plus and my 7 plus. I think having two phones is my future. I just don’t know which I will use as my daily driver.

Reactions: Oohara
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.