Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The thing I really like on iOS that android needs to do is iOS remembers the volume level on your Bluetooth devices. So in my car I need the volume full blast on my phone to get normal sound from my stereo, but ok my jaybirds I generally keep it at half volume and the iPhone remembers this. Can't tell you how many times I forget this on my Note and when I connect my jaybirds the music is at full blast in my ears.

And also the battery meter for the Bluetooth device is shown on iOS, nowhere to be found on android.

I think it's started doing it now for Nougat on my Samsung S7 Edge.

Actually, that may just be for my Gear S3 watch - since Nougat, it has a nice rich notification for it and an icon in the swipe down. But not for my Bluetooth headphones. It's getting better but at a snail's pace.

Reactions: Fernandez21

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Reactions: MRU and sunking101

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
New press render.

Samsung-Galaxy-S8-press-render-evleaks-01.jpg

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Agreed, hardware is beautiful indeed. I just wish software support were up to par. I'm currently quite frustrated with how things turned out with my NEE S7 Edge when Nougat came out in other regions.

Yeah that does suck, have yet to receive nougat here in Canada too.

still, nougat here is sent out by the cell phone carriers, so it's more them than it is Samsung. According to a friend at Rogers, they've had it for a while not sure what the hold up is. I'm content with marshmallow so I don't mind waiting a bit longer for nougat though it would have been nice to get it sooner than later.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Yeah that does suck, have yet to receive nougat here in Canada too.

still, nougat here is sent out by the cell phone carriers, so it's more them than it is Samsung. According to a friend at Rogers, they've had it for a while not sure what the hold up is. I'm content with marshmallow so I don't mind waiting a bit longer for nougat though it would have been nice to get it sooner than later.

Waiting for Nougat wouldn't be that bad if the wait didn't also stop all security updates from coming. I used to get monthly updates up until Nougat was released in some regions. When I switched to the BTU firmware in early February, my NEE was still using December security updates. I'm not sure if any newer updates are still out for NEE. With phones that expensive I shouldn't have to go through any flashing BS just to get security patches.

Reactions: nordique

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My next phone.

Really hope Samsung give some nice gifts - seem to be reducing them year on year.

Happy March!!

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
The phone is looking stunning just hope the battery doesn't get dumbed down because of that screen.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
We got Nougat through AT&T for our S7Edges. It did take almost two months or so to get to our Samsungs vs my unlocked HTC 10. My husband installed it on his S7 Edge. I have not yet installed it. There is a problem for me because the sim that should be in my AT&T issued S7 Edge is currently in my unlocked S7 from Samsung. So I can't update either phone to Nougat at the moment. I don't feel like swapping my sim out. Having already had Nougat in my HTC10, I can't say I noticed a whopping difference, so I'm letting things stand as they are awhile.

I don't even know if I can update my unlocked S7 or not. I haven't really looked into it after reading two months of complaints that folks couldn't get even security updates. I finally got a security update on it but I don't know if it's the most recent one.

I'm curious to see how good or bad Bixby is. I'm planning to hold out for the Note 8. I really want a 4K display for VR. Otherwise there's no compelling reason to upgrade from my two current Samsungs, which I got such a good deal on and like very much as they are.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
We never get anything in the UK!!!

We used to!

Last year, they still had an offer for 6 months free of the digital Economist which was basically £60. Amazing gift.

And they've done lots of useful freebies over the years, but it's really drying up now, especially since they changed it to MyGalaaxy Gifts or whatever.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
We used to!

Last year, they still had an offer for 6 months free of the digital Economist which was basically £60. Amazing gift.

And they've done lots of useful freebies over the years, but it's really drying up now, especially since they changed it to MyGalaaxy Gifts or whatever.
Compared to the US it's slim pickings. Can you imagine getting a buy one get one free at the carriers:confused:

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
OK, not to put a damper on my own post, but did anyone notice how the wallpaper isn't full screen. If you zoom in on the top and bottom, you can notice there's a slight gap between the top/bottom of the wallpaper and the top/bottom bezels. It's more noticeable on the top. It makes the curved corners look like they're slightly cut off. From the leaked videos of working units, we know this is not the case with the display. So this still may be an actual press rendering but with sloppy editing, or maybe a fake. We'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
We never get anything in the UK!!!
I think you get the Huawei P10. Everyone but the US gets that one. Reading between the lines from articles on Business Insider and other sources, I think it's because our Prez majorly ticked off the CEO of Huawei and our lawmakers under the previous administration also blocked them on the basis of national security concerns. Customers here are going to have to accept the fact we are in a really bizarre relationship with China and have been for awhile.

Getting back to the S8, I am officially put off now...but for a nice reason. They've rekindled my interest in the Note 8 and I'm determined to wait for it. It's going to be beautiful and amazing.

And I really am in the mood for boxy right now. I'm really liking the LG G6 a lot. The more I look, the more I like. It can't do Daydream VR after all, but I've got two Samsungs to keep me in VR for a long time anyway.

Edit: okay I notice I'm repeating myself. I may have to take a break from the forums until I get over caffeine withdrawals. If I disappear for awhile you will know I am zonked out with a migraine and hallucinating chocolate donuts everywhere.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm really looking forward to the next Note now. If the S8 is this hot looking, holy crap.

I imagine it'd be the S8 Plus with possibly bigger screen? And a slight redesign to fit the S-Pen. Some additional improvements to the hardware and software -- maybe next Android version?

If they can pull off the S8, the Note 8 would finally be that one-two combo that Samsung was supposed to have with the S7/Note 7 (heck, they renamed the Note to match the "7").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.