Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Serious question, how does Evan bass know so much? How is he so connected to so many different companies?

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Seriously considering picking one up now that Samsung Pay is coming to Sweden. Really thought Apple would beat them here with Apple pay but apparently not.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
The only downside is that it's a Samsung phone and will most likely have lag and battery drain issues a couple weeks into owning the phone.

Samsung makes very attractive devices buy the lack of optimization just kills me.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The only downside is that it's a Samsung phone and will most likely have lag and battery drain issues a couple weeks into owning the phone.

Samsung makes very attractive devices buy the lack of optimization just kills me.

Besides the battery flaw, the Note 7 was near perfection. So much so that many users(including myself) didn't want to give it up.

With the new 835 chip, Nougat, and improved software .... I suspect any lag and battery drain on the S8 to be extremely minimal for most users.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Serious question, how does Evan bass know so much? How is he so connected to so many different companies?

My guess is he pays people at places like Foxconn.
[doublepost=1488003683][/doublepost]
Besides the battery flaw, the Note 7 was near perfection. So much so that many users(including myself) didn't want to give it up.

With the new 835 chip, Nougat, and improved software .... I suspect any lag and battery drain on the S8 to be extremely minimal for most users.

But what will the Note 7 do to consumer confidence in New devices? Not trolling, seriously asking.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah but that kind of comes and goes, doesn't it? It does on mine.
[doublepost=1488006360][/doublepost]
My guess is he pays people at places like Foxconn.
[doublepost=1488003683][/doublepost]

But what will the Note 7 do to consumer confidence in New devices? Not trolling, seriously asking.
No, that's a legit question. My confidence is at zero honestly. I'm not preordering, that's for damn sure. I'm going to wait and see what the bugs are. And if there are any amazing deals like last year. I made out like a bandit getting my Galaxies.

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
The smaller 5.7" (which is the same screnn size of the Note 4, and 5, both of which I had/have) S8 would probably be my pick. Given the reduced bezels on the top and bottom, it will be a more compact form factor (coming from a Note 5, if I don't stick with Iphone) with the same screen size...and the fantastic AMOLED panels that are unmatched.

Missed out on the Note 7 by a few weeks, and glad I did, as the return process (don't live near a Samsung store, and would be getting it unlocked to keep my great grandfathered carrier plan) would've been a hassle and I would've likely sold my existing phone, thus left having to go get a new one.

But I have zero reservation about buying Samsung again if going to stick with Android, and full confidence they will be producing a great phone without issue. They've released something like 30 phones in 2016, Note 7 (flagship, sure) was the only one that had issue. They've got the time, money and resources to make sure that doesn't happen again, and the fully transparent and indepth conclusions about the battery issue was well done and can't ask for anything more. Apple could take note in being a bit more humble when it comes to their various product issues over the years.

Note 8 will supposedly be 6.5 or 6.6"...so same form factor as Note 5/7, but all screen. That, again, is too much for me, though the S pen is fantastic, the Note series always gets the best of the S series, along with one or two extras...and it will be competing with the IP8 as far as release dates.
Specs are out there, they'll be a teaser this weekend for it aw MWC, pics are out there, release date is supposedly 2 months away...and leaks will continue, but its all going to be depending on what it feels like in the hand, but I assume it will be as good or better than the Note 7 (in either S8 or S8+ form). We'll see how aggressive Samsung gets with pricing too.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

The update situation is a much worse offender in my books. When I got my S7E, things were just fine, security updates arrived during the month they were released in so in general my device was appopriately secure. However, when Nougat was released in some regions things went down the drain quickly. The Nordic edition (what's the point with this regional BS anyway, Samsung?) got stuck on the December security updates. It's like "FU Nordics, we're not giving you Nougat yet. Oh, by the way, the January updates depend on Nougat so I guess that'll make it a double FU. I'd mention also the February and most likely March updates if I hadn't ran out of middle fingers already."

So I guess it's not a wonder paying iPhone prices for that kind of treatment isn't too high on my list despite the S7E camera being quite amazing.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Only time can tell. But I doubt it will have much impact, especially for those in the States that don't buy outright and lease through carriers.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Still no Samsung pay in the U.K. It's looking like India will get it before we do.

Lol, yeah we have no Apple Pay or Samsung Pay in Ireland at all, and Android Pay has just launched here but with only 1 Bank supporting it and not the biggest of the banks .... the electronic payments rollout outside of USA is generally pathetic ....

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Seriously considering picking one up now that Samsung Pay is coming to Sweden. Really thought Apple would beat them here with Apple pay but apparently not.
Oh wow I didn't know that (I'm swedish too). Gotta think that's quite a nice little point to win for Samsung, being fast with that particular service. And if the news breaks right as they're releasing the S8...good timing.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The update situation is a much worse offender in my books. When I got my S7E, things were just fine, security updates arrived during the month they were released in so in general my device was appopriately secure. However, when Nougat was released in some regions things went down the drain quickly. The Nordic edition (what's the point with this regional BS anyway, Samsung?) got stuck on the December security updates. It's like "FU Nordics, we're not giving you Nougat yet. Oh, by the way, the January updates depend on Nougat so I guess that'll make it a double FU. I'd mention also the February and most likely March updates if I hadn't ran out of middle fingers already."

So I guess it's not a wonder paying iPhone prices for that kind of treatment isn't too high on my list despite the S7E camera being quite amazing.
I agree, this is the main point that makes me think twice about buying Samsung.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Mobile payments are that big of determinant into your cell phone purchases? Is Android Pay available for you? I would use that in the mean time if you own an Android device.
[doublepost=1488038865][/doublepost]

No phone is perfect. I thought the 7+ was the best phone I ever owned until I noticed call quality issues, processor feedback noise, etc. I went through 4 of them before I said enough was enough.

The trade offs with Samsung are not so great stand by battery life, bogged down software after a year of ownership, not so great customer service, and sporadic software updates. But what you do get is an attractive phone, great ergonomics, some of the best hardware, nifty software features, unique hardware experiences, the best smartphone cameras, superior AMOLED tech, Samsung Pay, Stylus support (Note line only for now), superior audio quality, and a lot of extra bonuses for purchasing their devices, like a free VR headset.

So far, the Grace UX receives solid feedback on this forum. The Note 7 was considered, by many, as a near perfect experience before the battery issues were discovered. Based off the 4gb of RAM spec, some of us feel that Samsung could've fine tuned its software to create a pleasant experience. They're going bit by bit at it. Their current head is a software expert, so it should go smoother as time progresses. Switching to on screen buttons does seem alarming because of Touchwiz, but there should be something to ease the transition because we can't have hiccups on a phone and have to restart it like crazy to get anything done.
[doublepost=1488039763][/doublepost]Here are the processor comparisons for the S8/S8+:

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/2...msung-exynos-8895-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-835/

There is a comparison at the bottom of the article for those inclined to examine it. I think the Snapdragon 835 might be closer to an Exynos than the 820 was to the S7 Exynos processor because Samsung played a major factor into Qualcomm's 835 processor.

Does anyone here record their videos in 4K though? I feel it's a waste of space because of bigger file sizes along with the lack of video stabilization. My hands are quite shaky, so my videos normally suck with the shaking, so a bit of stabilization does help. And not many people use 4K screens, so playback doesn't do much.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Mobile payments are that big of determinant into your cell phone purchases? Is Android Pay available for you? I would use that in the mean time if you own an Android device.
No it's not but it's a nice bonus to have. We currently don't have any of the major mobile payment solutions over here. (Apple, Android & Samsung)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
No it's not but it's a nice bonus to have. We currently don't have any of the major mobile payment solutions over here. (Apple, Android & Samsung)

I am weary to rely on Samsung Pay because they got hacked before. But then again, which company isn't vulnerable of being hacked these days? Nobody has an impervious solution to cybercrime.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I have got an unlocked S7 directly from Samsung. My AT&T S7 Edge got updates and my S7 got nothing until recently. People were fuming about that on the Samsung site.
[doublepost=1488047445][/doublepost]

No phone is perfect. I thought the 7+ was the best phone I ever owned until I noticed call quality issues, processor feedback noise, etc. I went through 4 of them before I said enough was enough.

The trade offs with Samsung are not so great stand by battery life, bogged down software after a year of ownership, not so great customer service, and sporadic software updates. But what you do get is an attractive phone, great ergonomics, some of the best hardware, nifty software features, unique hardware experiences, the best smartphone cameras, superior AMOLED tech, Samsung Pay, Stylus support (Note line only for now), superior audio quality, and a lot of extra bonuses for purchasing their devices, like a free VR headset.

So far, the Grace UX receives solid feedback on this forum. The Note 7 was considered, by many, as a near perfect experience before the battery issues were discovered. Based off the 4gb of RAM spec, some of us feel that Samsung could've fine tuned its software to create a pleasant experience. They're going bit by bit at it. Their current head is a software expert, so it should go smoother as time progresses. Switching to on screen buttons does seem alarming because of Touchwiz, but there should be something to ease the transition because we can't have hiccups on a phone and have to restart it like crazy to get anything done.
[doublepost=1488039763][/doublepost]Here are the processor comparisons for the S8/S8+:

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/2...msung-exynos-8895-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-835/

There is a comparison at the bottom of the article for those inclined to examine it. I think the Snapdragon 835 might be closer to an Exynos than the 820 was to the S7 Exynos processor because Samsung played a major factor into Qualcomm's 835 processor.

Does anyone here record their videos in 4K though? I feel it's a waste of space because of bigger file sizes along with the lack of video stabilization. My hands are quite shaky, so my videos normally suck with the shaking, so a bit of stabilization does help. And not many people use 4K screens, so playback doesn't do much.
Good post, I agree with your observations.

In answer to your question, I've started recording in 4K on my iPhone after experimenting with the different settings. I do have steady hands. I did notice my iPhone stays cool to warm when recording in any setting for up to 90 minutes, but my S7 gets very hot pretty fast--about four minutes. My S7 Edge heats up much more slowly, about 20 minutes.

I did record a school event in 4K on my iPhone 7 Plus. It was a 90 minute event so the file size was too big to share or even backup to Google Photos. I also recorded clips of happenings at a business gala in 4K and my husband isn't thrilled I did it in 4K because it's hard to share the clips with his friends.

I can't say I regret it because in another few years, if 4K becomes standard, we will have those high quality masters. Meanwhile now we can reprocess them to share.

I'm so sad that the videos of my family when all the kids were small are so low quality. You can always take a high quality master and make smaller copies but you can't take an old VGA video and make it look 4K. At least not as far as I know.

Lol...I have the 256 GP iPhone 7Plus and I have 89.92 GB left available!

Reactions: JaySoul and nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I have got an unlocked S7 directly from Samsung. My AT&T S7 Edge got updates and my S7 got nothing until recently. People were fuming about that on the Samsung site.
[doublepost=1488047445][/doublepost]
Good post, I agree with your observations.

In answer to your question, I've started recording in 4K on my iPhone after experimenting with the different settings. I do have steady hands. I did notice my iPhone stays cool to warm when recording in any setting for up to 90 minutes, but my S7 gets very hot pretty fast--about four minutes. My S7 Edge heats up much more slowly, about 20 minutes.

I did record a school event in 4K on my iPhone 7 Plus. It was a 90 minute event so the file size was too big to share or even backup to Google Photos. I also recorded clips of happenings at a business gala in 4K and my husband isn't thrilled I did it in 4K because it's hard to share the clips with his friends.

I can't say I regret it because in another few years, if 4K becomes standard, we will have those high quality masters. Meanwhile now we can reprocess them to share.

I'm so sad that the videos of my family when all the kids were small are so low quality. You can always take a high quality master and make smaller copies but you can't take an old VGA video and make it look 4K. At least not as far as I know.

Lol...I have the 256 GP iPhone 7Plus and I have 89.92 GB left available!

I find it surprising the S7 got hot really quick. It has some form of liquid cooling, so it shouldn't retain that much heat. SD cards are so helpful because Google Photos is all I could use to save my photos off my iPhone because my iCloud wouldn't let me back up to iCloud and I am not spending $ on iCloud because I needed something to use on Android/PC/Mac/iOS.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I find it surprising the S7 got hot really quick. It has some form of liquid cooling, so it shouldn't retain that much heat. SD cards are so helpful because Google Photos is all I could use to save my photos off my iPhone because my iCloud wouldn't let me back up to iCloud and I am not spending $ on iCloud because I needed something to use on Android/PC/Mac/iOS.

The snapdragon variant got a lot hotter than the exynos

Reactions: nviz22 and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My S7 gets hot with Pokémon Go and recording videos. But not scary hot. I had a gold S7 that was a loaner during the first Note 7 recall that got scary, painfully hot at random times throughout the day. I had thought maybe S7's didn't do well in warm ambient temps but the other day I was out in unseasonably hot weather chasing Pokémon with my daughter during her school break, and my S7 heated up but only to very warm. My first S7 would have gotten hot enough to hurt.

My S7 Edge is more stable, temperature wise.

My second Note 7 was fine until the last week or so that I had it. I was recording short 1080p video clips and it started getting hotter and hotter until I started panicking and shut it down. It was so hot I thought about putting it in the fridge! I stopped using it and took it back to AT&T as soon as the mere rumors of the second recall were reported.

That sort of variance among even the S7's is why I said my confidence with Samsung is at zero. I want to see what happens with the S8's. To get a good deal on one I'd have to go through my carrier and getting a refund or exchange through the carrier is a pain in the butt and they charge a fee.

Last edited:
Reactions: nviz22 and MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My S7 gets hot with Pokémon Go and recording videos. But not scary hot. I had a gold S7 that was a loaner during the first Note 7 recall that got scary, painfully hot at random times throughout the day. I had thought maybe S7's didn't do well in warm ambient temps but the other day I was out in unseasonably hot weather chasing Pokémon with my daughter during her school break, and my S7 heated up but only to very warm. My first S7 would have gotten hot enough to hurt.

My S7 Edge is more stable, temperature wise.

My second Note 7 was fine until the last week or so that I had it. I was recording short 1080p video clips and it started getting hotter and hotter until I started panicking and shut it down. It was so hot I thought about putting it in the fridge! I stopped using it and took it back to AT&T as soon as the mere rumors of the second recall were reported.

That sort of variance among even the S7's is why I said my confidence with Samsung is at zero. I want to see what happens with the S8's. To get a good deal on one I'd have to go through my carrier and getting a refund or exchange through the carrier is a pain in the butt and they charge a fee.

Yep, I am even on the fence on buying the S8 even though I am inclined to make it my next phone based off specs, hardware alone. If I don't see stable software, effective running temperature, decent trade in options, limited bloat, then I won't be going with the S8 and I will look to go HTC/LG/Pixel/OnePlus. There is zero reason why pretty much every Galaxy has some heating issues. I had heating issues with the S5 up and down each of the dozens of replacement models I dealt with. The S6 was a bit warm from time to time. One S7 model I got was a refurbished model with heating issues.
[doublepost=1488055881][/doublepost]
The snapdragon variant got a lot hotter than the exynos

Idk why, stupid Qualcomm. It wasn't even a 810 to begin with. Sprint and Verizon keep us from getting Exynos here.

Reactions: MRU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yep, I am even on the fence on buying the S8 even though I am inclined to make it my next phone based off specs, hardware alone. If I don't see stable software, effective running temperature, decent trade in options, limited bloat, then I won't be going with the S8 and I will look to go HTC/LG/Pixel/OnePlus. There is zero reason why pretty much every Galaxy has some heating issues. I had heating issues with the S5 up and down each of the dozens of replacement models I dealt with. The S6 was a bit warm from time to time. One S7 model I got was a refurbished model with heating issues.
[doublepost=1488055881][/doublepost]

Idk why, stupid Qualcomm. It wasn't even a 810 to begin with. Sprint and Verizon keep us from getting Exynos here.
Come to think of it, my HTC 10 can randomly heat up VERY hot, too. Not quite as often. It was really acting up once in Best Buy. I was trying to compare my HTC 10 camera to that of an Lg G5 demo model and every time I brought up my HTC 10 camera the HTC heated up like an angry Note 7. I have read that some HTC 10s do that, but they don't melt, burst, or bootloops from it and cool down eventually.

I'm hoping Snapdragon 835 runs cooler.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Come to think of it, my HTC 10 can randomly heat up VERY hot, too. Not quite as often. It was really acting up once in Best Buy. I was trying to compare my HTC 10 camera to that of an Lg G5 demo model and every time I brought up my HTC 10 camera the HTC heated up like an angry Note 7. I have read that some HTC 10s do that, but they don't melt, burst, or bootloops from it and cool down eventually.

My S6E got so hot I couldn't even hold it. Went back to iPhone. I really want to move back to Android. I'm hoping Samsung really steps it up and gets their act together. No more battery, heating up issues would be really nice.

Reactions: 5105973

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

My V20 gets pretty hot occasionally, same with my iPhone 7 plus. If they had glass backs, I'm sure it would be much more noticeable.

Reactions: Tsepz and 5105973

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

My S7 edge didn't lag and had good battery life. I had no complaints in those areas. In fact I couldn't fault the phone. The only reason why I didn't keep it was because it didn't fit in with my Apple centric ecosystem.

Reactions: Tsepz and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.